The Grint Golf App

• 3 months later...

Just incase some of you haven't seen the other thread WRX Leaderboard, my Grint username is robrey85, add me!

Here's my post from the other thread:

[quote]
Hey all, I just started using theGrint yesterday, although I haven't actually used it to log a live round yet because I won't be playing until this weekend. I fell in love with it adding my previous twenty rounds on the website after creating an account so I signed up for the Pro Version. I came from using Golfshot Pro for the past three years so I'm pretty anxious and excited to see how good this app is for logging an actual round and how accurate the GPS is. I've already got the gist of using the website to add a score which is easy enough after learning what the SS, FS, OD, etc... are. I'm curious about the GPS because it was stated by them that it's accurate up to one yard, which would be outstanding for a mobile phone app. Pair that with my laser range finder and it would be optimal.

My main reason for switching was because of the stats. I like the stats MUCH better than Golfshot. That is where I was truly disappointed w/ Golfshot. After one major update to the iOS version, it's like they just put it by the way side and let it rot. That could be SUCH a great app if they just expanded their statistical points of view. I actually like the more modern view and it's very subtle, which again I find calming. My main gripe that I have so far, was playing around with the GPS, when you zoom in on the green it's SUPER blurry. Not that it matters a whole lot, it's just a minor issue for me.

Anyway, I've taken note of your guys' usernames and will be adding you shortly. I am Robert M Reyes! Hope to be comparable to you guys and your 1337 skeelz, haha.[/quote]

I use it and just started using pro as I
Became the club HC chairman for my community club as we didn't have one and none of the 200 or so members handicaps were valid until there was a chairman.

I like the pro. Tells me in depth of how bad I am hahaha. But I do like how
It breaks down the common stats of fir, gir, and putts and score down even more by course, par, and from what area of the course (fairway vs rough and what not).

Forever Changing at this point.......

• 6 months later...

Became the club HC chairman for my community club as we didn't have one and none of the 200 or so members handicaps were valid until there was a chairman.

It breaks down the common stats of fir, gir, and putts and score down even more by course, par, and from what area of the course (fairway vs rough and what not).

PJ,

I'm looking to do the same. Have been using the FREE Grint offering for hdcp only. No GPS - no stats.

We pay $30 at our club for a GHIN hdcp. Why pay $30 to play against some sandbaggers. Aggravating. I digress.

Now that you're the chairman, are you doing so for just your club or an entire region (multiple clubs in your area)?

Would you elaborate on your Grint chairperson experience?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

PJ,

I'm looking to do the same. Have been using the FREE Grint offering for hdcp only. No GPS - no stats.

We pay $30 at our club for a GHIN hdcp. Why pay $30 to play against some sandbaggers. Aggravating. I digress.

Now that you're the chairman, are you doing so for just your club or an entire region (multiple clubs in your area)?

Would you elaborate on your Grint chairperson experience?

I am chairman of just my club but it encompasses about 100-200 people from the low country spreading of about 50 miles or so. Biggest thing I am trying to do is make a way for all of us to play together at least 1-2 times a year per USGA rules for HC regulation.

It is very simple other wise. I communicate with the other guys and girls online or through the app. I don't do much handicap revisions as I am using the honor system and like I said, we only have to have 1 club sanctioned event and it doesn't have very strict specifications about what is involved with that. Also members have to play with other members at least 3 times in a year. I do that with my buddy and i think there are a few other groups of people who play together in their area.

Fill out a form every year or so about what your club is doing right and wrong/what you can do better and its gravy. Pro version is pretty dang cool also. gives a lot of good info and stats

Can anyone explain the handicap a bit more? Does this give you an actual USGA handicap number?

No, GHIN is a USGA handicap system provided by USGA therefore, they give you a USGA #. TheGrint is an eHandicap that does qualify for use in USGA sanctioned events per their website, but from experience, our local SNGA chapter has issues with us using TheGrint system for whatever reason so I just bought a SNGA membership so I could have a GHIN to ixnay any confusion that might occur.

Quesiton;

Let's say you are playing with your friends who don't have TheGrint and you decide to track their scores. Does anyone know what kind of email you get when you're the guest? I want to know if they send a copy of the scorecard of if they send one of those retarded "Round summary's"

I am pretty sure it does give the score card. I tried it with my buddy before he joined but not sure what showed up for him

I have the Grint app (non pro version), but I paid for Golf Pad GPS, so I might try it on my next round...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Quesiton;

Let's say you are playing with your friends who don't have TheGrint and you decide to track their scores. Does anyone know what kind of email you get when you're the guest? I want to know if they send a copy of the scorecard of if they send one of those retarded "Round summary's"

I am pretty sure it does give the score card. I tried it with my buddy before he joined but not sure what showed up for him

Let me show you what I am looking for:

I really wish they'd send something like this. If they do, it's worth tracking my friends stats.

Quesiton;

I really wish they'd send something like this. If they do, it's worth tracking my friends stats.

I do not think it is that detailed for the guest. I would assume it just gives a score with scorecard and a brief breakdown of some states such as FW, GIR, Putts

Quesiton;

I do not think it is that detailed for the guest. I would assume it just gives a score with scorecard and a brief breakdown of some states such as FW, GIR, Putts

That's what I'm talking about. I want to know what they get. The round summary we get is retarded. It's nothing of use to us except for what our trending handicap is.

Does anyone know what a GRINT actually is?

I think it's an up and down.

The only giveaway I ever won on this site was a pro version of the Grint.

It never worked and I deleted it.

I use the Golfshot app and I have been very pleased. My Hdcp is tracked at my club.

You should give it another chance. I'll be the first to admit when they released it, it sucked a**. It was buggy and didn't work. It's come a long way since the first time I tried it. There are just little things that I can't stand about it. Such as what I previously mentioned about the scorecard. I am also not a fan of the zoom in the GPS overview but scoring wise and stat wise, it's fantastic. They said they were working on a strokes gained analysis when I emailed them some feedback recently, who knows if they will eventually release it though.

still haven't figured out how to skip to a certain hole. if i enter stats or scores for first couple holes, forget or don't have time for holes 3-5, and want to enter those later but use the gps for the tee shot on hole 6 the app forces you to enter all the info for any holes prior. this is a pain as i figure i could always do that later. i just want to use the gps for current hole. wish the app would let you skip to certain holes. i could then use the gps as i wanted throughout the round and fill in the holes i missed after.

until then i end up missing a few holes and instead of taking the time to fill in scores and stats i end up just shutting it down.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• 1 month later...

So is the Grint handicap not a real index? I don't play in many big tournaments, we typically only use indexes to handicap bets on the course.

I was under the impression that if you joined an "eclub" with a chairman on it your handicap is USGA approved or at least that's what GRINT tells me in my Handicap emails I receive twice a month.

From what I hear, I believe the local clubs people have issues with it because it's not "registered with USGA" but it abides by USGA eClub rules. So it is considered legit, and my local SNGA has taken it as such but I think a lot of people are very apprehensive about it.

still haven't figured out how to skip to a certain hole. if i enter stats or scores for first couple holes, forget or don't have time for holes 3-5, and want to enter those later but use the gps for the tee shot on hole 6 the app forces you to enter all the info for any holes prior. this is a pain as i figure i could always do that later. i just want to use the gps for current hole. wish the app would let you skip to certain holes. i could then use the gps as i wanted throughout the round and fill in the holes i missed after.

until then i end up missing a few holes and instead of taking the time to fill in scores and stats i end up just shutting it down.

All you have to do is open the options menu by pressing the 9 circle square and then just click on "Go to Hole" and choose what hole you want. It'll skip whatever hole you are currently on without having to enter in a score. If you end up not playing the first few holes, than you have to abide by what the USGA says to do to post that score assuming you have played 14 of 18 holes, input those scores and then complete the round. If you don't have time to enter the scores, then just go back to the options menu and select save and exit round and enter the scores when you have time.

• 7 months later...

I use the grint and like it, but I find the handicap to not really be USGA compliant. Good for bettting, but not correct for what a GHIN handicap would be for the following reasons.

1. The CR and Slope of courses is not always correct, in fact I find it's often wrong.

2. The Grint allows off-season scores which GHIN does not

3. Every tournament I've played in has required a GHIN handicap, not a USGA certified one which maybe the Grint is.

Again, love the app, great way to keep a handicap if you don't use GHIN, but it's not the same or a replacement in many ways.