For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Wanted to hear the feedback from others that have actually implemented it into their swing. Interested in what changes you saw in ball flight, accuracy, distance etc.

As for myself, I've been working on it for a good month. I even told my instructor about George and he really liked what he taught. He's big on leg work and has used the bucket drill for awhile too.

Biggest thing I saw an increase in was distance, I have gained around 9 yards with my 7 iron than previously. Secondly my miss is now to the right with all clubs, ball flight is a lot straighter with irons and a fade with the woods.

Now onto the mechanics

As for the move itself, I feel it's pretty much impossible to do correctly if your butts out at address or if you have too much bend at the knees. The pingman setup is crucial. The squat move itself can't be overdone, for me if I overdo it I'll be left stalling out and no room for the arms. "Sitting in the right and rotating" felt like I had no lateral motion at all but on camera I had just the right amount. I had a lesson recently and my instructor really loved the legwork but wanted to get my chest rotating better so I've been working on that. Using George's neck out looking ahead of the ball to feel the chest open. Also forgot to add, if there is a pull down with the arms, it is super easy to leave the hosel exposed. I've hit some close but not shanked and I'll have to go back to freezers with the idea of leaving the arms up and it fixes it every time.

It's a work in progress but I won't be abandoning the concept. My handicap has been dropping hard and I carded my lowest round of 66 last weekend.

I don't want this getting shut down so please guys, let's stay on track I am truly interested in others experiences.

What about you guys?

My pivot has just started to feel really comfortable and consistent starting about 3 weeks ago. By that, I really mean leaving the arms up and trusting the pivot to power the ball. When I leave the arms up and pivot, it feels like my right shoulder and right hip get to the ball well before the clubhead. It really feels exactly like David Duval looks. I noticed Andrew Landry looked similar coming through impact this week. It is hard to get rid of the pulling action with the arms, but I have finally over come it.

The ball flight for me is really about how I setup and if I want to draw it or fade it. I rarely miss right now. My miss is almost always due to setup I have found. I get into a tendency to aim too far left.

Distance, my irons are longer as is the driver than previous. I can hit some stupid distances now if I want with the irons. I have flown some 7 irons 200 yards under the right conditions lately. I hit a hybrid off of the tee a couple of weeks ago at a course I have never played before into the hazard twice, once when the fairway ran out at 270 and the next at 275.

There is a reason George's guys are hammering on his insta and on his website. At first I though there distances were wacked or his TM was jacked. Now I don't. When you get the pivot correct, you deloft the club and create some crazy speed. The weird thing is for me, I was under this misunderstanding that you had to spin and turn really hard. You actually don't. I practice by starting out pivoting really slow and making sure my arms are slower. I will hit little 8 irons 75 yards to make sure I am leaving my arms behind and slower than the pivot.

@PJ - Feel vs real but for me it feels like 60% goes into my right side during transition but GG constantly says it should be 50-50 or maybe 60-40 left when you get to P6.

Great write up I appreciate it. I was completely blown away with the distances, the guys I play with on a regular basis have all asked me what I've been doing.

I do think it will take me another month-2 months before I am where I want with it. I've now got the driver working with it too, that was the last to come around but I saw immediate results with my irons. By far hands down the biggest improvement I've got from a swing change.

Heath.........nice to see you back. I had a lesson from a young Korean asst pro at my club the other day. I asked him what he felt was the motor of his swing (he shot 18 under on his PAT). He said he felt it was his left hip. I don't think I heard or read that before other than Hogan's reference in 5L. Is that even close to what GG advocates?

My pivot has just started to feel really comfortable and consistent starting about 3 weeks ago. By that, I really mean leaving the arms up and trusting the pivot to power the ball. When I leave the arms up and pivot, it feels like my right shoulder and right hip get to the ball well before the clubhead. It really feels exactly like David Duval looks. I noticed Andrew Landry looked similar coming through impact this week. It is hard to get rid of the pulling action with the arms, but I have finally over come it.

The ball flight for me is really about how I setup and if I want to draw it or fade it. I rarely miss right now. My miss is almost always due to setup I have found. I get into a tendency to aim too far left.

Distance, my irons are longer as is the driver than previous. I can hit some stupid distances now if I want with the irons. I have flown some 7 irons 200 yards under the right conditions lately. I hit a hybrid off of the tee a couple of weeks ago at a course I have never played before into the hazard twice, once when the fairway ran out at 270 and the next at 275.

There is a reason George's guys are hammering on his insta and on his website. At first I though there distances were wacked or his TM was jacked. Now I don't. When you get the pivot correct, you deloft the club and create some crazy speed. The weird thing is for me, I was under this misunderstanding that you had to spin and turn really hard. You actually don't. I practice by starting out pivoting really slow and making sure my arms are slower. I will hit little 8 irons 75 yards to make sure I am leaving my arms behind and slower than the pivot.

@PJ - Feel vs real but for me it feels like 60% goes into my right side during transition but GG constantly says it should be 50-50 or maybe 60-40 left when you get to P6.

Heath glad your back. Thanks for the write up

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Kuch, great to hear that you've found something that works and that your scores are dropping. I can only dream of shooting a 66. Sounds too complicated for me, but I'll be following the development regardless.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I had one lesson with George over email, but one question I could never figure out on this...how do you guys not get stuck with this? The laid down position with arms left behind is when I get sideways in a hurry.

Almost - but not quite - impossible for arms to be left behind too much if your Pivot is working properly. If you neglect to engage your Core and if you fail to Tilt Switch early and faster than most golfers find comfortable, then yes - arms will be too far behind the body.

If you have been told that your hands/arms are way too slow and need to move them down and diagonally much quicker, is this the opposite of that?

All I know is when I was stuck it was because my right shoulder worked too much down. This move like Hstead said, feels like the right shoulder is hitting the ball and for me that gets my arms working more out to start the downswing, never giving them a chance to get stuck behind. At least that's what I feel happens.

Watching more vids of that guy, his rapport with his kid students, the mental game (shutting of your mind as he yells at them to shank it lol), etc. Not saying this just because of his "pivot" but the dude is sort of a genius.

Definitely very smart. You can tell he's studied all facets of the game for quite awhile and his brain runs like a hemi at all times. I believe he also received his masters in psychology.

If you have been told that your hands/arms are way too slow and need to move them down and diagonally much quicker, is this the opposite of that?

It's possible your arms are just slow relative to the action of your right hip. If your right hip is going into extension too early, your arms can be easily stuck behind. One way to deal with that might be to learn how to get your arms moving in front of your right hip which would teach you to restrict the right hip, for that to happen. Another way is to learn to regain right hip flexion and pivot first, giving your arms the space and time to do what they need to do.

Great thread. My game has improved by leaps with the proper pivot move.

Here's how it works for me.

In practice or in a concept swing behind the ball in PSR, I do the:

• (and i can hear George saying this and visualize him demonstrating it)
  • "left hip moves down and around right hip stays in flexion" then "smash!"
  • I don't worry about keeping my arms up etc. In fact when I rotate my left knee > target in transition my arms and club shallow by themselves.

In a real swing, I cant think about this stuff, I just try to smash it. I really try to keep it simple. When I hang back on the right side and or try to steer the ball, I block or hook. But I can feel it now and know why.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Quick question for Hstead and Kuchhhhhh. How long did it take before the leg action started to shallow out your transition? I have taken some long distance lessons with GG, none in person, and I think I have my leg action very close to where he wants it. The only issue is, my shaft is still a little steep at P5. Maybe I'm not leaving my arms up long enough? He told me that the shaft should naturally shallow with the proper leg work. I thought the shallowing would happen immediately once the leg work was better. Perhaps my pivot isn't as good as I think. Any thoughts?

I'm guessing if you do any early jump/extension/goat loving, where your waist is moving closer to the ball on the downswing, it makes doing any of this stuff impossible?

The move makes it where you do opposite of goat humping on the downswing but you have to be in the proper setup first or goat humping will still be easy to do.

The left hip low is the only part that confuses me. I have access to his site and have been working on the pivot for about a month or so. So far I have worked on nothing but freezers. I am drawing the ball for the first time in my life and my 8 iron is flying 150 just with the freezer drill, which is about 10 yards longer for me. The only thing I am worried about right now is a spin out. I am more of a spinner than slider and my left hip is not reaching the gold standard of all other instructors, just outside the left heel.

Oh and the natural shallowing of the shaft is so awesome. I have never been this shallow before.

Quick question for Hstead and Kuchhhhhh. How long did it take before the leg action started to shallow out your transition? I have taken some long distance lessons with GG, none in person, and I think I have my leg action very close to where he wants it. The only issue is, my shaft is still a little steep at P5. Maybe I'm not leaving my arms up long enough? He told me that the shaft should naturally shallow with the proper leg work. I thought the shallowing would happen immediately once the leg work was better. Perhaps my pivot isn't as good as I think. Any thoughts?

I know gg likes to say the pivot shallows the shaft automatically and it may for some but I'd say just from all the videos on instagram that it doesn't for a lot of people. You can't replicate a feeling you've never had before. I'm in the camp that shallowing is a learned maneuver. Once you learn how to do it then you just have to manage your faults so that they don't prevent you from shallowing.