2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Big Island Golf

Lexicographer

Any recommendations for those who have played on the Big Island recently? I'll be there for 10 days in January. Planning on playing Mauna Kea for sure (will try to find a good deal on Golf Now). Will be able to play 1 or maybe 2 more times (wife and kids permitting).

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade

[quote name='bradski' timestamp='1415167191' post='10399393']
My rank.
Hualalali
Mauna kea
Mauna lani
Hapuna
Then maybe
Waikoloa
Big Island cc
[/quote]

Thanks. What's the green fee at Hualalai? Do you have to be staying at the Four Seasons?

4U - Hogan UiHi

[quote name='Lexicographer' timestamp='1415223537' post='10402171'][quote name='bradski' timestamp='1415167191' post='10399393']
My rank.
Hualalali
Mauna kea
Mauna lani
Hapuna
Then maybe
Waikoloa
Big Island cc
[/quote]

Thanks. What's the green fee at Hualalai? Do you have to be staying at the Four Seasons?[/quote]

I looked into playing Hualalai last spring and was informed it is only for residents, club members, or guests of the Four Seasons.

I stayed in Waikoloa, both courses 7 out of 10

Loved Mauna Kea, 9.5 out of 10

Mauna Lani are two totally diff tracks. One is thru lava fields with a few ocean holes, the other is harder .. More trees and houses ... Both 8's

Big Island has some HARD holes. Conditions not great but greens fine, we paid 50 and it was worth it

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 1 month later...

I was told you have to stay at the Four Seasons to play.

Mauna Kea was fun but the course peaks really early in the round.
Kona CC was decent but I believe it's being renovated now.
Hapuna was enjoyable but nothing super memorable.
Big Island CC was the surprise for me. For the cost, I thought the value was really good for the cost.

I want to play both the courses at Mauna Lani next time.

I have played most of the above course and enjoyed them. However, the one I've played most often and enjoy immensely is Makalei Golf Club. It has large elevation changes, as the course range from 1,800 to 2,850 feet in elevation. It is reasonably price at approximately $50 per round, has less wind than the coastal courses and is challenging. If you like wide flat fairway courses, this isn't for you but if you like unique courses this one is worth considering.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting tee times around noon at Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani North. Decent prices but not super great. 169 and 145. Beats the 275 and 225 they want to play in the morning. Looking forward to it.

4U - Hogan UiHi

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a number of these courses. Have not played Hualalai since I do believe you need to be staying there. Mauna Kea was the best. Played both Mauna Lani courses which were both really good. South had a few scenic holes by the ocean (especially #15) but overall I think I liked the North course better. Hapuna was also good but not as good. Makalei was in awful shape and would not recommend. Therefore I think you have done good picking my two favorites courses on the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Manua Kea was a good experience, but I don't think I'd play it again. Hole 3 is more spectacular in person than it is in pictures. I hit the green (from 215). It was great. The course is very scenic. The bunkers are nasty (very deep), and almost every green was elevated. This got a bit tedious. Up and down was very difficult if you missed the green. But the biggest problem was the greens. Did they roll super glue into the turf? They were immaculate, but slower than the furriest muni you've ever played. Down grain was slow, and into the grain was like putting on the shag carpet in your gran's basement. Putting was just a random guess and seemed pointless. Frequent trips to the bunkers, and abysmal putting led to an 86. Long game was good. Not bad for not having played in many months.

Greens at Mauni Lani North were perfect. Had a lot of fun on this course. Definitely easier than Mauna Kea, but not a complete pushover. Great experience. Overall, probably too pricey, but not bad for Hawaii and the weather and course conditions were perfect that day. Will definitely check out Mauna Lani South next time I'm on the island. A couple I was playing with said that the South is easier than the north. I think I simply like resort style golf in the winter. Easy off the tee and scenic is all I need. Drove it great, but chipped and putted like a donkey on the back 9. 39-42 for an 81. Birdied both the par 5s on the front, only to bogey both the par 5s on the back (which were actually shorter, easier holes).

4U - Hogan UiHi

• 6 months later...

Last October I was able to play [color=#282828]Hualalai. I was not staying at the 4 Seasons.[/color]
[color=#282828]I simply called the pro shop, complemented the club pro on the course and asked nicely if they would be able to accommodate me.[/color]
[color=#282828]I was able to get a tee time, no problem. [/color]
[color=#282828]​They were in the middle of the aeration schedule and it was slow so i'm sure that played a huge factor into me playing.[/color]
[color=#282828]The greens fees included a free afternoon replay.[/color]
[color=#282828]The course was amazing, and the final 3 holes really make it special.[/color]
[color=#282828]Rental clubs were Taylormade Speedblade with regular flex shafts.[/color]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Peterson' timestamp='1418546572' post='10591035']
I have played most of the above course and enjoyed them. However, the one I've played most often and enjoy immensely is Makalei Golf Club. It has large elevation changes, as the course range from 1,800 to 2,850 feet in elevation. It is reasonably price at approximately $50 per round, has less wind than the coastal courses and is challenging. If you like wide flat fairway courses, this isn't for you but if you like unique courses this one is worth considering.
[/quote]

Fully agree: Makalei is maybe the most challenging course on the Big Island, just as you described.

Big Island CC improved their course massively, a fantastic value for money course and greatly embedded into nature, not a single house there. Pure nature. Very enjoyable.

Mauna Lani courses are great, both, north and south. But one round on each was enough and although I had the time to replay them I did not. Totally different in terms of feel well compared to Big Island CC and only a few holes at the ocean.

Mauna Kea: same as Mauna Lani and too pricy.

Hapuna: Nice, but windy....

Kona CC: still closed but they told me that they might reopen it soon

[color=#282828]Hualalai: great course, yes, the finish is spectacular. But as a normal mortal I did not feel too well there, had the impression that they were not happy to having me there without beeing a member. [/color]

[color=#282828]Waikoloa Village: definitely underestimated, a good and challening fun course[/color]

[color=#282828]Waikola Beach: a very very nice layout, but not very well maintained, terrible greens[/color]

[color=#282828]All in all: Big Island CC was the course I liked most. Just a great course. Not extremely demanding, well maintained, nature pure and half the price compared to the special deals at Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea.[/color]

• 2 months later...

Fully agree: Makalei is maybe the most challenging course on the Big Island, just as you described.

Big Island CC improved their course massively, a fantastic value for money course and greatly embedded into nature, not a single house there. Pure nature. Very enjoyable.

Mauna Lani courses are great, both, north and south. But one round on each was enough and although I had the time to replay them I did not. Totally different in terms of feel well compared to Big Island CC and only a few holes at the ocean.

Mauna Kea: same as Mauna Lani and too pricy.

Hapuna: Nice, but windy....

Kona CC: still closed but they told me that they might reopen it soon

Hualalai: great course, yes, the finish is spectacular. But as a normal mortal I did not feel too well there, had the impression that they were not happy to having me there without beeing a member.

Waikoloa Village: definitely underestimated, a good and challening fun course

Waikola Beach: a very very nice layout, but not very well maintained, terrible greens

All in all: Big Island CC was the course I liked most. Just a great course. Not extremely demanding, well maintained, nature pure and half the price compared to the special deals at Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea.

Thanks for the recent update. Going in May with my family. I play regularly, but my dad and brother don'. Is Big Island friendly enough that they might still enjoy it? Sounds like it's less demanding, and pretty.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bubbling this thread back to the top. Just booked my next trip to the Big Island for January 2017. Based on the good time I had on Mauna Lani North, I will be definitely checking out Mauna Lani South this time. Also, will give Big Island CC a go given the good comments on this thread.

Will play at least one more time, probably at one of the Waikoloa Beach Resort courses as we're staying in a condo nearby. Any report on whether conditioning on these courses have improved? Would I be better off just going up to Waikoloa Village?

4U - Hogan UiHi

Bubbling this thread back to the top. Just booked my next trip to the Big Island for January 2017. Based on the good time I had on Mauna Lani North, I will be definitely checking out Mauna Lani South this time. Also, will give Big Island CC a go given the good comments on this thread.

Will play at least one more time, probably at one of the Waikoloa Beach Resort courses as we're staying in a condo nearby. Any report on whether conditioning on these courses have improved? Would I be better off just going up to Waikoloa Village?

Congrats on booking another trip there!

I'll be on the Big Island starting next weekend. Playing Big Island CC based off of all the good press here, as well as Makalei and Hapuna. I debated one of the Waikoloa courses (Kings and Beach), but have heard so-so things about conditioning, and that Village, although a little mundane, is actually a great value. I'll take the plunge on one of those unknowns and report back here with photos and such. Just tough to decide between dropping $90 or so on Kings or Beach, or $50 on Village.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on booking another trip there!

I'll be on the Big Island starting next weekend. Playing Big Island CC based off of all the good press here, as well as Makalei and Hapuna. I debated one of the Waikoloa courses (Kings and Beach), but have heard so-so things about conditioning, and that Village, although a little mundane, is actually a great value. I'll take the plunge on one of those unknowns and report back here with photos and such. Just tough to decide between dropping $90 or so on Kings or Beach, or $50 on Village.

Brian,

How was your trip and which courses did you play? How were the conditions? We're heading there next week and we will be next to the Waikoloa courses, so we may play those. If the conditions are bad there, I don't mind driving to the Big Island CC after hearing all the positive reviews of that place.

John

Brian,

How was your trip and which courses did you play? How were the conditions? We're heading there next week and we will be next to the Waikoloa courses, so we may play those. If the conditions are bad there, I don't mind driving to the Big Island CC after hearing all the positive reviews of that place.

John

John, Big Island was fantastic, but tough. If you check out my WITB (scroll to the most recent post), I posted a couple of pictures from my round and gave a quick write-up. I was dealing with a few funky circumstances that affected my play, but I'd love another crack at it. It's not the most scenic course, but the final few holes make for a wonderful finish. There's nature all around, and has absolutely zero feel of a resort course (which it isn't).

I didn't play either of the Waikoloa courses, so I can't say much there, but the reviews always seem to be a mixed bag. If you like funky golf courses, play Makalei GC. It's got absurd amounts of elevation changes, but it's one of the most unique rounds I've ever played. The staff were awesome there as well, and I think we ended up finding a twilight round for $23 or something. Well worth it.

We also played Hapuna GC, which was a nice course. It's the sister course to Mauna Kea, just up a little higher on the hill, and relatively close to Waikoloa. Twilight was like $79 I think. My only knock there was that the staff didn't let us finish our final two holes...but again, that's a pace of play issue that I was dealing with thanks my father and brother playing alongside me. Definitely worth a look, but bring your rain jacket just in case; the weather on the Big Island can be nutty.

Feel free to PM me or ask away on here if you have any other questions!

Brian,

John

John, Big Island was fantastic, but tough. If you check out my WITB (scroll to the most recent post), I posted a couple of pictures from my round and gave a quick write-up. I was dealing with a few funky circumstances that affected my play, but I'd love another crack at it. It's not the most scenic course, but the final few holes make for a wonderful finish. There's nature all around, and has absolutely zero feel of a resort course (which it isn't).

I didn't play either of the Waikoloa courses, so I can't say much there, but the reviews always seem to be a mixed bag. If you like funky golf courses, play Makalei GC. It's got absurd amounts of elevation changes, but it's one of the most unique rounds I've ever played. The staff were awesome there as well, and I think we ended up finding a twilight round for $23 or something. Well worth it.

We also played Hapuna GC, which was a nice course. It's the sister course to Mauna Kea, just up a little higher on the hill, and relatively close to Waikoloa. Twilight was like $79 I think. My only knock there was that the staff didn't let us finish our final two holes...but again, that's a pace of play issue that I was dealing with thanks my father and brother playing alongside me. Definitely worth a look, but bring your rain jacket just in case; the weather on the Big Island can be nutty.

Feel free to PM me or ask away on here if you have any other questions!

That's some good information! We probably will only have time for one or two rounds, but Big Island CC will be one of them. I'll check out your review and photos. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We only had time for one round, and we ended up playing Big Island CC. I have to agree with the high remarks that others have said about this hidden gem. It's out of the way a bit, but the holes are well designed with elevation changes and it makes you think about how you want to play a hole. There are times when you can really go for it and leave yourself a wedge in, but this may leave you in trouble. There is a par 4 that is roughly 280 yards. The smart move would be to play an iron and leave yourself a close second shot. However, I had the mentality of 'I didn't come this far to lay up.' As a result, I pushed the drive OB, and proceeded to tin cup another ball OB.

Another thing that I found entertaining was that there were sheep everywhere along the course roaming around.

The pro, Harry, and the starter were also great guys to talk to. They had a great attitude and made you feel very welcome.

The course conditions were not the best, like some resort style courses, but this course wasn't resort in the sense that any shot landed in the fairway. I wouldn't hesitate to play this course again, albeit it, smarter. Btw, the demo clubs are titleist ap1, with a sm5 56 wedge, Newport 2 putter, and D2 driver, 3w and hybrid. Not the newest clubs, and the grips need to be replaced, but they worked.

We only had time for one round, and we ended up playing Big Island CC. I have to agree with the high remarks that others have said about this hidden gem. It's out of the way a bit, but the holes are well designed with elevation changes and it makes you think about how you want to play a hole. There are times when you can really go for it and leave yourself a wedge in, but this may leave you in trouble. There is a par 4 that is roughly 280 yards. The smart move would be to play an iron and leave yourself a close second shot. However, I had the mentality of 'I didn't come this far to lay up.' As a result, I pushed the drive OB, and proceeded to tin cup another ball OB.

Another thing that I found entertaining was that there were sheep everywhere along the course roaming around.

The pro, Harry, and the starter were also great guys to talk to. They had a great attitude and made you feel very welcome.

The course conditions were not the best, like some resort style courses, but this course wasn't resort in the sense that any shot landed in the fairway. I wouldn't hesitate to play this course again, albeit it, smarter. Btw, the demo clubs are titleist ap1, with a sm5 56 wedge, Newport 2 putter, and D2 driver, 3w and hybrid. Not the newest clubs, and the grips need to be replaced, but they worked.

Totally agree with this assessment. I didn't play it smartly either and was punished. Great layout that's not in resort course shape, but that shouldn't deter anyone.

Totally agree with this assessment. I didn't play it smartly either and was punished. Great layout that's not in resort course shape, but that shouldn't deter anyone.

Yikes.

I played on 7/7/16. Sure, the layout is really good, lots of risk reward, but the course was, IMHO, in pretty rough condition. Clarifying, the greens were soft but smooth, but the "fairways" were longer than a lot of rough I've played out of.

They were doing some seasonal maintenance, so maybe that explains some of it, but was really disappointed after hitting my ball in the first fairway and finding it sitting in about 1/2" of grass.

I really like the layout, so if these conditions are an anomaly I'd go back, but if that's the normal no way.

Played Waikoloa Kings on 7/6. I thought it was just OK, didn't think it was all that interesting a course. Thought the fairways were in pretty average shape, including some bare spots in the fairway and the rough, and didn't think the greens rolled all that well, although I did play in the late afternoon which might account for some of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Forgot I never posted a report of my Jan 2017 trip. Well, I skipped Mauna Lani South because I had neck surgery last August and hadn't played in forever. Didn't even take my clubs. Decided I'd try to play just one round and chose Big Island CC considering the good value. Had a good time, but the course was a bit underwhelming. Rental clubs were terrible. Conditioning was a bit rough, and better views can be had on the island. But definitely a good time. Tons of wildlife.

The round went well for my neck, so I decided to play again, this time at Hapuna. The weather got nutty and the winds picked up to gale force on the back 9, but I really loved this course. Conditioning was good and the views were great. Much better rental clubs. Will definitely play this one again.

4U - Hogan UiHi

• 8 months later...

I’m going to be on the Big Island for the first time at the beginning of April. I’m going all out and playing Kapalua on Maui the week before the last day before they aerate, so I’m staying slightly more budget conscious and playing Hapuna on the BI. Any recent reports on conditions there? Sounds like it’s been a wet winter, so I’m wondering if that’s having a negative impact.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I’m going to be on the Big Island for the first time at the beginning of April. I’m going all out and playing Kapalua on Maui the week before the last day before they aerate, so I’m staying slightly more budget conscious and playing Lapuna on the BI. Any recent reports on conditions there? Sounds like it’s been a wet winter, so I’m wondering if that’s having a negative impact.

Do you mean Hapuna? You could probably call them about the conditions. The Kohala Coast gets the most sunshine on Hawaii with little rain. If you want to play cheap try Waikoloa Village