For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Heath, is the extension from p6 to impact what he calls the "kick up" with the legs and pelvis?

Yep. He basically teaches it three ways depending on if you want to draw or fade it, or hit it high or low. Stay in flex longer for lower fade, kick up fast and high for high draw, and standard for basic height shot. He has variations of almost all parts of the swing and you just pick what matches your other parts and how you want to move it.

Great info, thanks. Do you feel like your pressure is 50/50 when you begin extending?

Heath, is the extension from p6 to impact what he calls the "kick up" with the legs and pelvis?

Yep. He basically teaches it three ways depending on if you want to draw or fade it, or hit it high or low. Stay in flex longer for lower fade, kick up fast and high for high draw, and standard for basic height shot. He has variations of almost all parts of the swing and you just pick what matches your other parts and how you want to move it.

The variations are huge. We all have tendencies and a comfort zone. The better you can make those tendencies work for you instead of fighting them the better off we seem to be in the swing. IMO...and within reason, of course.

The Masters in Psychology probably helps his teaching...a tad, as well. Lol

I dont have anything to apologize about, I never said you were wrong, just that you don't have all the info. Dana's pivot is influenced by Kwon's research which I have originally stated all along, the pivots look very similar. Georges legwork is probably a bit unique I guess. So George has been friends with como for 20 years and says he is the guy he goes to for any question on physics and biomechanics in the golf swing but hasn't influenced what he teaches with arms or anything?

Why do you insist on bringing up Dana? You're the only one talking about him. This is a thread about GG's pivot. Enough already.

Exactly this. The other thread was gaining a ton of speed until it went off the rails.

Heath, thanks for starting this up again and answering many of the questions.

I am having trouble figuring out when he wants a release, as some of his videos are exaggerations to ingrain movements. Assuming you stay in sync does GG want you to fire through with the right side at P6 while simultaneously releasing the hands?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

No personal info allowed to be posted. Doesn't matter if permission granted or not. This thread is quickly derailing.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

The coat hanger is for clubface awareness. It helps you tell when you have flexed your left hand enough to close the face down on the ds, and just overall awareness of what the face is doing in relation to the grip and your entire swing really.

Ive seen gg twice now and we worked with the hanger a lot to lower the dynamic loft on the ds with irons. Such a simple homemade teaching apparatus worked wonders. I tried to steal the club after the lesson but he caught me. Lol

The coat hanger is for clubface awareness. It helps you tell when you have flexed your left hand enough to close the face down on the ds, and just overall awareness of what the face is doing in relation to the grip and your entire swing really.

Ive seen gg twice now and we worked with the hanger a lot to lower the dynamic loft on the ds with irons. Such a simple homemade teaching apparatus worked wonders. I tried to steal the club after the lesson but he caught me. Lol

Can you expand on how the hanger is used to lower dynamic loft?

Can you expand on how the hanger is used to lower dynamic loft?

Maybe hstead can expand but in the ds we worked on the hanger coming against my inner left wrist area thus shutting the face down through impact. He wanted to see the dynamic loft of my 8i at about 22*. The hanger has a lot of give to it and is attached to some alien looking 8 iron.

I was also impressed to watch gg hit a few balls. I play blades and he took a few swings with my 8i flying it 175. He basically can call his own numbers when hitting balls. Its crazy

There are a few videos where the student holds an alignment rod next to the shaft so it extends past the left side of the body. When you take a swing should the alignment rod never touch the left side of your body or is it OK to touch after impact? Doing this drill really helps me turn but the alignment rod will almost always hit my side someplace in the follow thru.

I already responded, don't really care. I was right about Danas pivot, which looks very similar. One would come to the same conclusion that George might of had some influence from them. George has said his legwork is his own, that's cool. So you don't think Chris had any influence in what he teaches despite him saying they have been friends for 20 years and is the guy he goes to for golf swing questions regarding physics and biomechanics? You don't have to answer, I know you pay him a lot and he has a ton of marketing behind him now.

Let's keep the thread on track, because it will get shutdown otherwise.

I find this topic extremely interesting and helpful. Can we please just TRULY ignore posts that are not related specifically to the topic of this thread? I would hate to see the discussion end like so many in the past because some just HAVE to be 'right'.

completely agree, there is some absolute GOLD in this thread, please keep it on track and or mods delete the unrelated posts?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I find this topic extremely interesting and helpful. Can we please just TRULY ignore posts that are not related specifically to the topic of this thread? I would hate to see the discussion end like so many in the past because some just HAVE to be 'right'.

completely agree, there is some absolute GOLD in this thread, please keep it on track and or mods delete the unrelated posts?

I agree, but to have a good discussion, it would probably be good to know who actually has seen GG and who hasn't right? I wouldn't thinking someone speaking for GG or his methods under the guise of having seen him when that wasn't true would further the discussion at all. In fact, I think it would be extremely detrimental. So, I think there's enough info on the thread for people to decide for themselves, and the sideshow can be left behind. But I don't think the off topic stuff was pointless, I actually think it's gives people more information to decide who to listen to/ignore.

I agree, but to have a good discussion, it would probably be good to know who actually has seen GG and who hasn't right? I wouldn't thinking someone speaking for GG or his methods under the guise of having seen him when that wasn't true would further the discussion at all. In fact, I think it would be extremely detrimental. So, I think there's enough info on the thread for people to decide for themselves, and the sideshow can be left behind. But I don't think the off topic stuff was pointless, I actually think it's gives people more information to decide who to listen to/ignore.

Agreed. There is so much value in debate. And spirited disagreement. Moreso when there are two legitamate sides arguing. But we take what we can get.

Heath, so so you feel like you are actively holding the release and then actively letting it go post impact?

Hey Guys,

I have been following GG's instagram for awhile. For me, it seems like the stuff he teaches is so different than what I have been taught or heard, that its hard for me to trust the move. I try sitting into my right, and it just seems so contrary to everything I have been mentally trying to do.

From Monte's perspective, often times if you don't get the arms moving first, they will get stuck behind you. For GG's move, its almost as if you want to leave the arms behind you. To me, its seems like its two different ways to make space for your arms. For Monte, you want to get your arms in front of the body so they don't get stuck behind you. For GG, you are creating the space for your arms to come through by pivoting and opening with your body more. Am I off base here? Also, I don't think you are trying to make the arms completely passive right? The throw comes from around p6?

I tried to do the GG move and leave my arms up and just pivot through. I was surprised when I was actually able to get decent contact. A few times when I try this move, it feels like I am giving myself the most space for my arms I have ever felt. It was such a great feeling to be honest.

I guess I just need reassurance, that with this method, even if you are leaving your arms up and letting the pivot shallow the arms, that you are still guaranteed the ample space you need for your arms to come through. I suffer from being steep on the downswing, and I just can't seem to permanently fix it, but maybe with a completely different swing intention, I can be able to.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

Hey Guys,

I have been following GG's instagram for awhile. For me, it seems like the stuff he teaches is so different than what I have been taught or heard, that its hard for me to trust the move. I try sitting into my right, and it just seems so contrary to everything I have been mentally trying to do.

From Monte's perspective, often times if you don't get the arms moving first, they will get stuck behind you. For GG's move, its almost as if you want to leave the arms behind you. To me, its seems like its two different ways to make space for your arms. For Monte, you want to get your arms in front of the body so they don't get stuck behind you. For GG, you are creating the space for your arms to come through by pivoting and opening with your body more. Am I off base here? Also, I don't think you are trying to make the arms completely passive right? The throw comes from around p6?

I tried to do the GG move and leave my arms up and just pivot through. I was surprised when I was actually able to get decent contact. A few times when I try this move, it feels like I am giving myself the most space for my arms I have ever felt. It was such a great feeling to be honest.

I guess I just need reassurance, that with this method, even if you are leaving your arms up and letting the pivot shallow the arms, that you are still guaranteed the ample space you need for your arms to come through. I suffer from being steep on the downswing, and I just can't seem to permanently fix it, but maybe with a completely different swing intention, I can be able to.

You're also eliminating a big lateral move and incorporating more rotation which gets the arms more out in front of you rather than leaving them behind. I think it just depends on the person, I used to have a big lateral move and get dumped under so starting arms sooner didn't work for me.

Hey Guys,

I think people that get stuck with their arms just don't pivot properly, and the feel of starting with the arms/shoulders etc. is a way for them to get round this (making the body react to the swinging of the arms/club). If you can get the pivot right (the correct blend of lateral and rotational movement) and you're in a decent position at the top the arms should drop in front of you, then you can keep turning through the ball.

Basically Monte's bump, dump and turn video.

Hey Guys,

You aren't going to learn any swing method or make a substantial swing change by watching Instagram videos. As for your question, you are certainly not "guaranteed" to have ample space for your arms doing as you have described. And yes, although I don't think the end goals of what they want to happen are as different as most think, the approaches of Monte and GG and how to get to the end are pretty different.

I'd go see GG if you really want to learn this approach. If not that, at least sign up for the paysite. If you can't make either of those commitments, I just don't think there's enough info out there to learn this and you are really going to risk screwing up your swing even worse. I know advice like this is rarely heeded, as everyone thinks they are the exception, but I still feel like it needs to be said. Especially if you are already steep, the free content just isn't going to be enough to make the change and you risk getting even steeper.

Hey Guys,

Leaving your arms up is maintaining width from your chest. Turning rather than sliding also kicks the arms out. Having that "pingman" setup so in transition your butt is going away from the ball also adds space. Nothing in there would cause you to be stuck, and if you are in fact stuck, then something is in the way. Full disclosure I did take an online lesson with GG, it helped a ton at first, I reverted back to some old habits, but this thread has helped put the pieces together.

I signed up for the pay site a month ago and I'm trying to figure out the swing. Am I correct in understanding that you get from p5 to p6 (which he likes right arm curl position, elbow near/in front of right hip?) with leg work only, then from there push off with the legs and release everything through impact?

No, you can also have the feeling of pushing away from the target with the right arm in transition. If you have excessive lateral motion in transition, this will not work. Too much lateral motion will cause the club to steepen and reduce the angle of the right arm.

I signed up for the pay site a month ago and I'm trying to figure out the swing. Am I correct in understanding that you get from p5 to p6 (which he likes right arm curl position, elbow near/in front of right hip?) with leg work only, then from there push off with the legs and release everything through impact?

No, you can also have the feeling of pushing away from the target with the right arm in transition. If you have excessive lateral motion in transition, this will not work. Too much lateral motion will cause the club to steepen and reduce the angle of the right arm.

Ok so does "leaving the arms up" mean leaving them where they are at the top of the backswing (i.e. Not moving them and not letting them move) or not actively moving them and letting the pivot move them while maintaining the same width as you had at the top?

Sometimes I think all these different exaggeration feels, although they may sound contradictory at first, are actually trying to get you to the same place. GG wants arms out, not down. Monte same thing. Is "leaving the arms up" just another way of getting arms out and not down? Also keep in mind I think GG is really big on exagerration drills. A lot of the things done in slow motion look, frankly, a little goofy. But when applied to a "real swing" that exaggeration turns into a great swing. Also, for the record, based on his vids he definitely doesn't want to leave arms behind. In fact, there is a video with a tall guy in French soccer shirt where he tried to leave them behind and GG said no, get them in front.

In short, leave arms up is not equal to leave behind.

Agree/disagree?

Hey Guys,

Ok so does "leaving the arms up" mean leaving them where they are at the top of the backswing (i.e. Not moving them and not letting them move) or not actively moving them and letting the pivot move them while maintaining the same width as you had at the top?

You can actively push to the right, just do not pull down or do not use any sort of karate chop move. So it will feel like you are "leaving the arms up" in a sense. Whenever you pull down or actively fire the arms in transition, it will cause the space/angle between the right forearm and right bicep to reduce and steepen the shaft.

Sometimes I think all these different exaggeration feels, although they may sound contradictory at first, are actually trying to get you to the same place. GG wants arms out, not down. Monte same thing. Is "leaving the arms up" just another way of getting arms out and not down? Also keep in mind I think GG is really big on exagerration drills. A lot of the things done in slow motion look, frankly, a little goofy. But when applied to a "real swing" that exaggeration turns into a great swing. Also, for the record, based on his vids he definitely doesn't want to leave arms behind. In fact, there is a video with a tall guy in French soccer shirt where he tried to leave them behind and GG said no, get them in front.

In short, leave arms up is not equal to leave behind.

Agree/disagree?

Maybe, Maybe not. It's a personal feel question. GG def does not want you to leave arms "behind", but the way he'd get them to move seems pretty different than Monte. I think comparing the two is not only pointless but harmful to most. They are different teachers that go about things in different ways. its hard enough to learn one way, but when trying to compare and contrast things just get hopelessly muddled. I do think the end goals of both are pretty similar, but I think threads like this produce much better discussion when focusing on the topic (GG) rather than comparing him to others.

You can actively push to the right, just do not pull down or do not use any sort of karate chop move. So it will feel like you are "leaving the arms up" in a sense. Whenever you pull down or actively fire the arms in transition, it will cause the space/angle between the right forearm and right bicep to reduce and steepen the shaft.

Wow thank you!! It just clicked for me (making swings with a pencil in my office). Might have to throw a "meeting" on the calendar for this afternoon and hit the range

Hey Guys,

The GG stuff is primarily about not having a lateral slide in the transition. That plus keeping the right knee in flexion allows for your hands and upper torso to keep up with the pivot. If you just fire your hips you will leave your upper body behind and either shank or need to slow down and flip... oh SNAP (hook)!

It is difficult to fire the hips too fast with external rotation of the left knee and right knee at the same time. That base also allows you to go at the ball as hard as possible while maintaining the structure of the swing and allowing you better energy transfer to the ball.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]