For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

I went to the range last night and concentrated on GG's legwork and also keeping the arms passive. Typically I hit high fades but when implementing GG's legwork and passive arms I was hitting pull draws. Anyone experience this and what did you do to correct it?

Any suggestions on how to hit consistent high fades while utilizing GG's legwork? Is it possible?

I went to the range last night and concentrated on GG's legwork and also keeping the arms passive. Typically I hit high fades but when implementing GG's legwork and passive arms I was hitting pull draws. Anyone experience this and what did you do to correct it?

Any suggestions on how to hit consistent high fades while utilizing GG's legwork? Is it possible?

[obligatory caveat] I am far from an instructor [/caveat]

but generally when i hit pull hooks it is because i am too passive with the arms. I do not try to be passive with the arms, I just try to make sure I make the right leg go into flexion, while Externally Rotating the left leg. This should give you enough space to fire your upper body through.

If you go too passive, your hands are going to flip to catch up.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Yep, that whole back up with your hips thing is just so you bring left hip back before firing with right side and spinning out. Its just like hogans picture in his book with the strap on his left hip, the Snead squat or Shawn Clement where he shows his left butt cheek hitting mirror while right stays on the mirror. Or, in some ways, Monte zipper away. GG is all about no lateral slide (which "modern instructuon has really confused people on). What he is teaching as far as keeping that rt hip external is similar to what I've seen Kelvin say. No not accusing him of "stealing" it from Kelvin. Lol

Hey Guys,

I have been following GG's instagram for awhile. For me, it seems like the stuff he teaches is so different than what I have been taught or heard, that its hard for me to trust the move. I try sitting into my right, and it just seems so contrary to everything I have been mentally trying to do.

From Monte's perspective, often times if you don't get the arms moving first, they will get stuck behind you. For GG's move, its almost as if you want to leave the arms behind you. To me, its seems like its two different ways to make space for your arms. For Monte, you want to get your arms in front of the body so they don't get stuck behind you. For GG, you are creating the space for your arms to come through by pivoting and opening with your body more. Am I off base here? Also, I don't think you are trying to make the arms completely passive right? The throw comes from around p6?

I tried to do the GG move and leave my arms up and just pivot through. I was surprised when I was actually able to get decent contact. A few times when I try this move, it feels like I am giving myself the most space for my arms I have ever felt. It was such a great feeling to be honest.

I guess I just need reassurance, that with this method, even if you are leaving your arms up and letting the pivot shallow the arms, that you are still guaranteed the ample space you need for your arms to come through. I suffer from being steep on the downswing, and I just can't seem to permanently fix it, but maybe with a completely different swing intention, I can be able to.

The GG stuff is primarily about not having a lateral slide in the transition. That plus keeping the right knee in flexion allows for your hands and upper torso to keep up with the pivot. If you just fire your hips you will leave your upper body behind and either shank or need to slow down and flip... oh SNAP (hook)!

It is difficult to fire the hips too fast with external rotation of the left knee and right knee at the same time. That base also allows you to go at the ball as hard as possible while maintaining the structure of the swing and allowing you better energy transfer to the ball.

The only point in "comparing them" was to highlight the fact that I think they are trying to get you to same place with different ways of explaining it. I actually find that aspect interesting. It wasn't meant to "pit" them against each other. And, since the poster brought up how they seem to be saying different things, its actually useful to explain that maybe they aren't.

I mean, as long as I don't mention Como or Dana, we should be OK. Haha

Sometimes I think all these different exaggeration feels, although they may sound contradictory at first, are actually trying to get you to the same place. GG wants arms out, not down. Monte same thing. Is "leaving the arms up" just another way of getting arms out and not down? Also keep in mind I think GG is really big on exagerration drills. A lot of the things done in slow motion look, frankly, a little goofy. But when applied to a "real swing" that exaggeration turns into a great swing. Also, for the record, based on his vids he definitely doesn't want to leave arms behind. In fact, there is a video with a tall guy in French soccer shirt where he tried to leave them behind and GG said no, get them in front.

In short, leave arms up is not equal to leave behind.

Agree/disagree?

Maybe, Maybe not. It's a personal feel question. GG def does not want you to leave arms "behind", but the way he'd get them to move seems pretty different than Monte. I think comparing the two is not only pointless but harmful to most. They are different teachers that go about things in different ways. its hard enough to learn one way, but when trying to compare and contrast things just get hopelessly muddled. I do think the end goals of both are pretty similar, but I think threads like this produce much better discussion when focusing on the topic (GG) rather than comparing him to others.

The only point in "comparing them" was to highlight the fact that I think they are trying to get you to same place with different ways of explaining it. I actually find that aspect interesting. It wasn't meant to "pit" them against each other. And, since the poster brought up how they seem to be saying different things, its actually useful to explain that maybe they aren't.

I mean, as long as I don't mention Como or Dana, we should be OK. Haha

Sometimes I think all these different exaggeration feels, although they may sound contradictory at first, are actually trying to get you to the same place. GG wants arms out, not down. Monte same thing. Is "leaving the arms up" just another way of getting arms out and not down? Also keep in mind I think GG is really big on exagerration drills. A lot of the things done in slow motion look, frankly, a little goofy. But when applied to a "real swing" that exaggeration turns into a great swing. Also, for the record, based on his vids he definitely doesn't want to leave arms behind. In fact, there is a video with a tall guy in French soccer shirt where he tried to leave them behind and GG said no, get them in front.

In short, leave arms up is not equal to leave behind.

Agree/disagree?

Maybe, Maybe not. It's a personal feel question. GG def does not want you to leave arms "behind", but the way he'd get them to move seems pretty different than Monte. I think comparing the two is not only pointless but harmful to most. They are different teachers that go about things in different ways. its hard enough to learn one way, but when trying to compare and contrast things just get hopelessly muddled. I do think the end goals of both are pretty similar, but I think threads like this produce much better discussion when focusing on the topic (GG) rather than comparing him to others.

I understand, but I'm still not exactly sure that they want you to get to the exact same place. I think it's somewhat close, but in trying to figure out how close I think it introduces more uncertainty and obfuscation that anything. In short, I think it's just simpler to say "Monte and GG are different people thus don't teach the same exact stuff" and move on that to try to figure out similarities and differences.

Hey Guys,

I have been following GG's instagram for awhile. For me, it seems like the stuff he teaches is so different than what I have been taught or heard, that its hard for me to trust the move. I try sitting into my right, and it just seems so contrary to everything I have been mentally trying to do.

From Monte's perspective, often times if you don't get the arms moving first, they will get stuck behind you. For GG's move, its almost as if you want to leave the arms behind you. To me, its seems like its two different ways to make space for your arms. For Monte, you want to get your arms in front of the body so they don't get stuck behind you. For GG, you are creating the space for your arms to come through by pivoting and opening with your body more. Am I off base here? Also, I don't think you are trying to make the arms completely passive right? The throw comes from around p6?

I tried to do the GG move and leave my arms up and just pivot through. I was surprised when I was actually able to get decent contact. A few times when I try this move, it feels like I am giving myself the most space for my arms I have ever felt. It was such a great feeling to be honest.

I guess I just need reassurance, that with this method, even if you are leaving your arms up and letting the pivot shallow the arms, that you are still guaranteed the ample space you need for your arms to come through. I suffer from being steep on the downswing, and I just can't seem to permanently fix it, but maybe with a completely different swing intention, I can be able to.

You aren't going to learn any swing method or make a substantial swing change by watching Instagram videos. As for your question, you are certainly not "guaranteed" to have ample space for your arms doing as you have described. And yes, although I don't think the end goals of what they want to happen are as different as most think, the approaches of Monte and GG and how to get to the end are pretty different.

I'd go see GG if you really want to learn this approach. If not that, at least sign up for the paysite. If you can't make either of those commitments, I just don't think there's enough info out there to learn this and you are really going to risk screwing up your swing even worse. I know advice like this is rarely heeded, as everyone thinks they are the exception, but I still feel like it needs to be said. Especially if you are already steep, the free content just isn't going to be enough to make the change and you risk getting even steeper.

So if you get his 1 year membership online,do you think it is enough to learn the pivot he teaches?I know seeing instructors in person is the ideal,but if he made the site for long distance learners then surely he must believe it to be effective?

I signed up for the pay site a month ago and I'm trying to figure out the swing. Am I correct in understanding that you get from p5 to p6 (which he likes right arm curl position, elbow near/in front of right hip?) with leg work only, then from there push off with the legs and release everything through impact?

I think one needs to take things in the context in which they are said. With a 90 degree shoulder turn during the back swing, by the time you get to P6 with the GG model, your shoulders have already turned 90 degrees back to square and the hips are some 30 degrees open to the target line, so they have turned back a lot as well. That means there is a lot of momentum happening, so while you may only think about pushing off the right foot at that point, you'll be well on your way to striking the ball already at that time. The GG positions/moves are to some extent, I think we can all agree, exaggerations. If you see his students' swings, which are by and large incredible, you will see that for instance, the squat position is only a "hint of a squat" to delay the hips a bit, allow the shaft to shallow and the arms to drop in front of you. What I have found amazing is how effective GG's language is, at least for me. There are many instructors that give thoughts that may help some, but send others down the wrong rabbit hole. In my experience, I have not been derailed by anything GG has said, so his method appears to be pretty dummy proof.

One thing that can only help tie everything together is swinging with your right arm only. To be able to do that consistently, you will have to find a way to keep your width and get the right elbow in front of the right hip, keep your right elbow and right wrist bent, and turn the right shoulder through impact. If you throw your wright arm or let go of the wrist bend, you will probably miss a lot of shots and spray the rest all over the place Once you get that happening, and I think it doesn't take very long to get the gist, I think you will be able to see how you could have arrived at that impact position from GG's thoughts of having external right shoulder rotation on the downswing, or Monte's leading with the right elbow and having the right should move out and around, etc.

Hey Guys,

You aren't going to learn any swing method or make a substantial swing change by watching Instagram videos. As for your question, you are certainly not "guaranteed" to have ample space for your arms doing as you have described. And yes, although I don't think the end goals of what they want to happen are as different as most think, the approaches of Monte and GG and how to get to the end are pretty different.

I'd go see GG if you really want to learn this approach. If not that, at least sign up for the paysite. If you can't make either of those commitments, I just don't think there's enough info out there to learn this and you are really going to risk screwing up your swing even worse. I know advice like this is rarely heeded, as everyone thinks they are the exception, but I still feel like it needs to be said. Especially if you are already steep, the free content just isn't going to be enough to make the change and you risk getting even steeper.

So if you get his 1 year membership online,do you think it is enough to learn the pivot he teaches?I know seeing instructors in person is the ideal,but if he made the site for long distance learners then surely he must believe it to be effective?

I learned a ton from the site. It's worth a lot more than the $199 I paid. That said, I don't believe the vast majority of people will be able to implement his technique into their swings without his in-person guidance and supervision. Learning his pivot doesn't necessarily correct other swing faults and those faults can make it impossible to implement. This isn't a knock on his site, because I think it's great, it's the limitations of learning the golf swing from a website.

I learned a ton from the site. It's worth a lot more than the $199 I paid. That said, I don't believe the vast majority of people will be able to implement his technique into their swings without his in-person guidance and supervision. Learning his pivot doesn't necessarily correct other swing faults and those faults can make it impossible to implement. This isn't a knock on his site, because I think it's great, it's the limitations of learning the golf swing from a website.

This...

I think there is a point to which the instructor needs to put his hands on you at a certain point and direct the body, just like GG does with his students in the videos, at least for me anyway.

Hey Guys,

I don't know. I have a buddy who has access and from what I've seen of the interface I know there's tons of content, but I haven't watched any of it myself. I would say probably not based on the difficulty in learning through membership websites in general, but I also do know that some people have made pretty big changes just using the membership site. I'm sure it's effective in that all the material is there, it's just a question of applying it.

My point to that poster up there was more that, if you aren't even going to pay for the membership site, you have zero percent chance. I'm sure the membership site might be enough for some, just don't know what percentage.

Yes, it is enough. It should not be a complicated move.

At the top of your backswing to start the transition, make the left knee rotate externally. While this is happening load the right leg by a very small squat while keeping the knee pointing at 12 to 1 o'clock. The pressure (NOT MASS) is inside the right instep on the BS and is transferred slightly to the left heel during transition.

Don't overdo the move and it works great. Like Monte says, the opposite of bad advice in golf is bad advice (over the top vs 10* path to the right), the extremes are where you will fall into problems while the middle road is generally groovy.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

At the top of your backswing to start the transition, make the left knee rotate externally. While this is happening load the right leg by a very small squat while keeping the knee pointing at 12 to 1 o'clock. The pressure (NOT MASS) is inside the right instep on the BS and is transferred slightly to the left heel during transition.

Don't overdo the move and it works great. Like Monte says, the opposite of bad advice in golf is bad advice (over the top vs 10* path to the right), the extremes are where you will fall into problems while the middle road is generally groovy.

How do you do it in one flowing motion, I have tried to rotate left and flex right until left arm is roughly parallel but unless I come to a dead stop half way down it just becomes a spin out with shoulders opening as well

"No Throws" are basically this -

Easy if you use half speed, especially at first - even try to hit an 8 iron about 60 yards.

Setup same as normal - backswing a little shorter because you are only hitting the 8 iron 60 yards - leave the arms behind, pivot with the lower body and try to hit the ball without letting the arms pass in front of your chest. It will be like your arms stay on your right side - left arm will be across the chest. Do not let the club pass impact more than a foot or so. It would be like you are stopping at impact but your body should be wide open and the arms barely to the ball. Make sense?

Maybe I will try to video one next time I am at the range.

@Kuch - I started out with little 8 irons making sure I hit my start line at 60 yards. Now I use up to a 6 iron and hit them 150 yards. Just a little more speed. Start short and slow though and gradually work up is much easier

Hstead, Thanks for starting this post. I'm addicted to watching GG's youtube/insta videos. A video of the "no throws" would be great! also, do you or can you do them with them coat hanger and alignment stick?

Thanks,

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

How do you do it in one flowing motion, I have tried to rotate left and flex right until left arm is roughly parallel but unless I come to a dead stop half way down it just becomes a spin out with shoulders opening as well

It eventually happened for me. Bucket drill is key, I use one every range session and once I go back to a regular swing it happens naturally.

It eventually happened for me. Bucket drill is key, I use one every range session and once I go back to a regular swing it happens naturally.

This s going to sound silly but what s your thought process with this drill? There was a video of a guy in the other GG thread where he was attempting the GG pivot and though he didn't have the bucket it went a bit like this

Get to top of backswing

He then just bowed his legs outwards which looked amusing

Is it more squat until the bucket falls as opposed to actively widening both legs? Do you think more right or left leg?

This s going to sound silly but what s your thought process with this drill? There was a video of a guy in the other GG thread where he was attempting the GG pivot and though he didn't have the bucket it went a bit like this

Get to top of backswing

Is it more squat until the bucket falls as opposed to actively widening both legs? Do you think more right or left leg?

I believe the feel is sitting into the right, keep right knee pointing at nooner, while getting your left knee to externally rotate and keeping pelvic tilt so left side is lower than right side pelvis

As to your first question l, it sounds like you may need to move your low point forward a touch. At first work on some "halfers" with the intent of getting the right shoulder to the ball before the clubhead with less throw (release) at impact. You can add more and more throw after you dial in impact and start line.

It's all there in his Insta or YouTube page.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Get to top of backswing

I've just been following GG on instagram but I've been trying to incorporate this move for a long time. The feeling I have in transition is to have a little squat move where you feel like you are trying to spread the floor outward with your feet. You will feel the tension in the outsides of your legs and into your glutes and your knees will naturally align with your feet (without trying to feel like you are separating them on purpose).

(and it works great with Freezers where you stop at the top of the backswing and physically pause for a couple seconds)

Get to top of backswing

I just think about sitting into right as I drop the bucket and then rotating, that's really it for me.

Right foot corkscrew clockwise left foot corkscrew anti clockwise? Would right foot straight left foot flared help?

I have flared out my left foot a lot more than I used to after adopting this pivot, my current instructor advocates it as well to help with rotation.

Cant remember exactly but I believe he says its to help prevent over-drawing

He believes it increases power as well or at least that is what he said on instagram

Spencer Soosman and Wolff look very different at the top and in the follow through. But from p5 till impact they look the same GG calls that the "interior" of the swing. For him it doesnt matter how ut looks as long its sound from p5 till impact.

Can anyone speak to why a lot of his players get that steep/across the line look on the backswing? It's very noticable on his students Ruiz and Wolff, and they're not exactly hackers (saw Wolff committed to OkState).

In one of his videos he mentioned that the best ball strikers in Europe use that steeper backswing and really let the club shallow out with the pivot. I read somewhere else that the high hands lets gravity help with the transition and may add speed, but I do not know how true that is.

When I am bored I do a couple reps here and there. Eventually the movement seemed like an easier way to swing and it clicked. Just make sure it is more of a pressure shift and not a mass shift. You want to strive for zero lateral movement until after impact.