For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Cant remember exactly but I believe he says its to help prevent over-drawing

He believes it increases power as well or at least that is what he said on instagram

Yes to both is my understanding. The gain in speed can be easily verified with a little swing speed radar and is noticeable. Another point GG has made, which is readily visible in Johnny Ruiz's backswing and which GG talks about in at least one of the Instagram videos, is that with that kind of take away there is less or no conscious forearm rotation in the backswing. If you try to keep the club face looking at the ball as much as possible you will end up getting pretty steep. You will keep also keep the club face square and keep the left wrist flat, so it's one less thing to worry about later on.

Regarding the "crossed up" look at the top, I think it helps shallow the shaft naturally in transition. When I saw him in person, he videoed me DTL throwing a ball side-arm. It demonstrates how you naturally go from internal rotation, pivot, to external rotation. I haven't implemented it to the extent Ruiz or Wolff do, but it has helped.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Regarding the "crossed up" look at the top, I think it helps shallow the shaft naturally in transition. When I saw him in person, he videoed me DTL throwing a ball side-arm. It demonstrates how you naturally go from internal rotation, pivot, to external rotation. I haven't implemented it to the extent Ruiz or Wolff do, but it has helped.

For me it does help initiate the shallow move more naturally and definitely prevents over drawing the ball. My backswing is a lot more upright than it used to be, I just have to make sure to keep tabs on the length of it, if I go too far I'll be steep and hit fades all days. Club above hands at the top of the swing is what I strive for now

Cool thanks. That makes sense if the hanger is aligned to face. I assume the feeling was more bowing in your lead hand and extension in trail?
Exactly.

So I'm guessing that this was your "natural" hand/grip position and the hanger was all about the matchups. Did you ever feel like it would have just been easier to strengthen your grip and not mess with the wrist/hand movement?

As far as the topic at hand, I've been implementing his swing method off and on (coming from a more arm-driven swing previously) for the past year but really committed to it fully recently and finally seem to be "getting it". The sitting back/R knee flexion bit was extremely important for me as previously I liked to shift forward on the downswing - still a work in progress since it feels odd to trust all these things but when I do I am making better contact than I have ever before.

For me it does help initiate the shallow move more naturally and definitely prevents over drawing the ball. My backswing is a lot more upright than it used to be, I just have to make sure to keep tabs on the length of it, if I go too far I'll be steep and hit fades all days. Club above hands at the top of the swing is what I strive for now

I was going to ask about the upright thing.

Looking at his IG and YouTube, the across the line thing really stood out, especially with Ruiz and Megan Amadi(sp?). When I tried it, I was able to get the shaft more shallow than I ever have; I've always been steep-shafted.

Then I tried getting more upright in the backswing, and found that I find it a lot easier to rotate in the downswing than when I try to be flatter, which is the opposite of what I would have thought.

Anyone else besides Kuchhhhhh (yeah, I counted the "h"s, lol)find themselves being more upright in the backswing implementing gg's stuff?

Looking at his IG and YouTube, the across the line thing really stood out, especially with Ruiz and Megan Amadi(sp?). When I tried it, I was able to get the shaft more shallow than I ever have; I've always been steep-shafted.

Then I tried getting more upright in the backswing, and found that I find it a lot easier to rotate in the downswing than when I try to be flatter, which is the opposite of what I would have thought.

Anyone else besides Kuchhhhhh (yeah, I counted the "h"s, lol)find themselves being more upright in the backswing implementing gg's stuff?

Hahaha I think I was creating my username and someone already had kuch so I just typed a bunch of s's. Regarding Ruiz he crosses it up a lot, more than I'd like but he's a dang good player and does it well.

What I've felt since trying to flatten my backswing and then going back to a steeper backswing is that the harder I rotate and the more I use the "2nd baseman side arm throw", the more the shaft lays down. When I tried to get a flatter downswing and my timing wasn't perfect / I kicked the right knee early I was absolutely stuck and dead. I went from about 115-117 mph with a driver to 108 - 110 mph swing speed and I felt like I was trying really, really hard to get it up to 110.

When you start on the steep side, you can really go after the ball and you might end of a little bit stuck and a little too flat on your bad days. Like with Tiger in the 1998-2000s (steep to shallow move), he could add speed and actually seemed to hit it straighter.

One question I have - with a swing like Ruiz - what does he do for partial wedges in the 50-80 yard range?

It usually helps to be a little more on-plane since the swing is so short, you don't have as much time to shallow, and you really don't want to squat all that much since you are trying to create speed (for spin generation) without creating a lot of power so the ball floats out low and then one-hop-stop with proper distance control.

One question I have - with a swing like Ruiz - what does he do for partial wedges in the 50-80 yard range?

It usually helps to be a little more on-plane since the swing is so short, you don't have as much time to shallow, and you really don't want to squat all that much since you are trying to create speed (for spin generation) without creating a lot of power so the ball floats out low and then one-hop-stop with proper distance control.

George doesn't care a great deal about how you get to the top, although he has preferences, but you are dead on. When it comes to wedges, GG wants to see the backswing closer to being on plane for the exact reasons you cited. When it comes to being a little steep going back, he thinks it is a feel preference and he himself likes the feeling of going from steep to shallow and he also believes it adds speed as others have said.

great thanks!

George doesn't care a great deal about how you get to the top, although he has preferences, but you are dead on. When it comes to wedges, GG wants to see the backswing closer to being on plane for the exact reasons you cited. When it comes to being a little steep going back, he thinks it is a feel preference and he himself likes the feeling of going from steep to shallow and he also believes it adds speed as others have said.

Heath,

I thought I read a long time ago that slicefixer would take a rubber tube and attach it to the students hip and their arms. At the top of the backswing there would be tension on the band and then he would say let go of the tension as to teach unwinding sequence.

If you were to do this with the way you understand the Gankas swing would there be tension on the band until almost impact?

To me that would give a good sense of not firing arms and keeping close to the 45/30 separation between hips and shoulders

I love the look of the GG student swings but I can't do lower body thoughts or actions. I know I'd never be able to redo something that's been on autopilot for 30 years.

IMO he teaches a fine move. I think if one is considering trying to change their lower body action and they have played a while...good luck you're talking a boatload of reps and it may or may not ever solidify.

The body naturally works best in golf with mind in the hands. GG has a good method but no wonder he mostly does juniors.

See ball hit ball
KISS

I love the look of the GG student swings but I can't do lower body thoughts or actions. I know I'd never be able to redo something that's been on autopilot for 30 years.

IMO he teaches a fine move. I think if one is considering trying to change their lower body action and they have played a while...good luck you're talking a boatload of reps and it may or may not ever solidify.

The body naturally works best in golf with mind in the hands. GG has a good method but no wonder he mostly does juniors.

There is definitely something to be said about "educated" hands. You can put the club on the ball swinging any type of way. But you had to educate them at some point..probably in the very beginning. "Educating" the legs certainly can hurt at all.

There is definitely something to be said about "educated" hands. You can put the club on the ball swinging any type of way. But you had to educate them at some point..probably in the very beginning. "Educating" the legs certainly can hurt at all.

Everyone is different. I have found for me I am incapable of consciously redoing my lower body action. I'm just not that talented.

See ball hit ball
KISS

Everyone is different. I have found for me I am incapable of consciously redoing my lower body action. I'm just not that talented.

I tend to agree. It's an intriguing take on how the lower body works and if I were just starting out I would be all over this. 13yrs into my swing.. This seems a tough prospect to ingrain without a massive time and practice commitment to be able to take it to the course. I do think he's got something figured out and more importantly he can pass it on to his students in a straightforward and pretty simple manner. I like it

Yep, as opposed to trying to "artificially" keep your right elbow squeezed in on the BS, internal to external rotation is a very natural athletic movement. Theres a reason a lot of old timers like peete swung that way. Just look at how anyone throws a baseball.

Also something Kelvin talks about, stretch shorten cycles and all that.

Wow,you are me.Kinda nice to know somebody else here is uncomfortable trying to consciously do something different with their lower body.That is me to a tee.I can try the simplest change with my lower body and man it is ridiculous the outcome.I mean,I look like a complete clutz and feel like one.I got a lesson online recently and he wants me to change my hip action.Gee Wiz,I gotta tell you the truth,when I focus on the stuff it is a circus at best....lol

Interesting range session tonight. <Anyone with fear of laterals should move on. This gets ugly.>

A month ago, when Monte endorsed the GG pivot, he had me try the basket drill. Immediate laterals! Tonight, the laterals stayed away on this drill, but I hit a lot of thin screaming wedges. Moved to the GG "turn left" drill where the body turns to the target while the arms feel like they slow down after impact. Feels like you are turning into your arms! After starting slow, got into a rhythm with GW, 9, and 8. Started flushing 'em. Nailed a few 7 irons about half a club longer than usual. Good stuff! Now, onto the adventure...

Moved to my Tour Striker Pro 5 iron with the "turn left" and smoked a few. Then, it was gone. Spooky gone. Lost it gone. Sucks to suck gone...

Grabbed the 7 iron to get it back. Gone and panic set in. Tried a different feel by moving to 19* hybrid, and that was hit and miss. The 15* was the same way, and then... IT happened...

Last weekend, I picked up a feel of starting the downswing with the arms pushing away with the image of the hosel of my driver heading directly to the ball, then turning at the last second. It was addictive and I was smoking the ball. Same thing on Tuesday at the range. Tonight, given how things were going, I attempted to channel the good juju again. And... I toe-shanked a driver! :help: Sure as heck, the club wasn't turning over like it was AND I developed "alligator arms." Tried loosening the grip, moved the ball up in the stance, moved closer to the ball. Nada. Couple skulls, couple screamers, and a couple more drivers off the toe. (Not in the same time zone as the middle of the face, either.)

I'm not that good. I laughed. I'm not as bad as this range session. Went home, poured myself some of the fine local microbrew (a Red Double IPA) and sent out this missive. Part therapy. Still laughing....

I still love this thread. It's not just about GG and his work. It's good to see contemporary teaching evolve from "head still, ring the bell, putt for dough." Good on guys like GG, Monte, Jim Waldron, and iTEach! These guys GET IT!

also didnt answer bph other question fully.

When I asked him he asked if I had ever heard of Kwons research with ground reaction forces, moment arms etc. He said what they are doing is based off Kwons research and they are trying to create the biggest moment arm possible. Leaving arms up, clearing hips almost backwards feeling and pushing up with right foot. Ive pretty much covered what else he told me in other posts in this thread. Not sure its exactly the same as what como teaches, doubt it, but como does teach similar. Leaving hands up and clearing with body, check golf digest.

Real strange jeepers...... GG tells H just recently he's never met you, has no idea who you are, has never talked to you. Here you are describing his methodology like you're buddies. Kinda stalker-ish.

dont worry, Ive asked George if Kwons research had any influence on the pivot and arms he teaches. Il let you know

We are still waiting on George's response to you. You sure seemed confident with this post.

Because this is what he said when he read this thread LOL

Got my response from George. While his legwork is unique he definitely has influence from como in his stuff. I owe it to this thread but don't want to derail so carry on..

When I asked him he asked if I had ever heard of Kwons research with ground reaction forces, moment arms etc. He said what they are doing is based off Kwons research and they are trying to create the biggest moment arm possible. Leaving arms up, clearing hips almost backwards feeling and pushing up with right foot. Ive pretty much covered what else he told me in other posts in this thread. Not sure its exactly the same as what como teaches, doubt it, but como does teach similar. Leaving hands up and clearing with body, check golf digest.

Real strange jeepers...... GG tells H just recently he's never met you, has no idea who you are, has never talked to you. Here you are describing his methodology like you're buddies. Kinda stalker-ish.

dont worry, Ive asked George if Kwons research had any influence on the pivot and arms he teaches. Il let you know

We are still waiting on George's response to you. You sure seemed confident with this post.

Got my response from George. While his legwork is unique he definitely has influence from como in his stuff. I owe it to this thread but don't want to derail so carry on..

When do you plan on getting your lesson? If so, post a writeup would be interesting.

Convinced me...

Give it up and let's move on

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

dont want to derail, carry on, if you think I made it up and want the full one with his number that I can't post in the publicly, pm me.

You guys act like this is a bad thing. I was never trying to say he stole anything or got all his stuff from como/kwon. Im just saying there are influences and its similar in areas. You guys are just blowing it way out of proportion and get these threads locked up. Done here