2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Interesting range session tonight. <Anyone with fear of laterals should move on. This gets ugly.>

A month ago, when Monte endorsed the GG pivot, he had me try the basket drill. Immediate laterals! Tonight, the laterals stayed away on this drill, but I hit a lot of thin screaming wedges. Moved to the GG "turn left" drill where the body turns to the target while the arms feel like they slow down after impact. Feels like you are turning into your arms! After starting slow, got into a rhythm with GW, 9, and 8. Started flushing 'em. Nailed a few 7 irons about half a club longer than usual. Good stuff! Now, onto the adventure...

Moved to my Tour Striker Pro 5 iron with the "turn left" and smoked a few. Then, it was gone. Spooky gone. Lost it gone. Sucks to suck gone...

Grabbed the 7 iron to get it back. Gone and panic set in. Tried a different feel by moving to 19* hybrid, and that was hit and miss. The 15* was the same way, and then... IT happened...

Last weekend, I picked up a feel of starting the downswing with the arms pushing away with the image of the hosel of my driver heading directly to the ball, then turning at the last second. It was addictive and I was smoking the ball. Same thing on Tuesday at the range. Tonight, given how things were going, I attempted to channel the good juju again. And... I toe-shanked a driver! :help: Sure as heck, the club wasn't turning over like it was AND I developed "alligator arms." Tried loosening the grip, moved the ball up in the stance, moved closer to the ball. Nada. Couple skulls, couple screamers, and a couple more drivers off the toe. (Not in the same time zone as the middle of the face, either.)

I'm not that good. I laughed. I'm not as bad as this range session. Went home, poured myself some of the fine local microbrew (a Red Double IPA) and sent out this missive. Part therapy. Still laughing....

I still love this thread. It's not just about GG and his work. It's good to see contemporary teaching evolve from "head still, ring the bell, putt for dough." Good on guys like GG, Monte, Jim Waldron, and iTEach! These guys GET IT!

Laterals happen while working on this stuff, you even see it in GG's videos with Tristan Gretzky. I had a lateral yesterday before my round trying some no throws at the beach, girlfriends dad laughed at me but I had 6 circles on my card at the end of the round. I've heard GG say it before that he wants his guys to leave their ego at home because sometimes you might shank 5 in a row when learning a new motion, it happens

My experience with the GG pivot has been positive, but I have cherry picked a couple of concepts that I work into my swing, since the "squat lower body move" happens too fast for me to keep track of during the swing, and the steep backswing/soft fold just dosen't work for me. Here's what works for me that I can "control":

- Pingman setup, armpits over shoes

- Driver: no target-ward lateral move of left hip on DS. If I get slice-y, I focus on the rt knee moving over rt shoe.

- Iron: clubhead far away as possible from left kneecap at p6

- Rt shoulder gets to ball before clubhead

Laterals happen while working on this stuff, you even see it in GG's videos with Tristan Gretzky. I had a lateral yesterday before my round trying some no throws at the beach, girlfriends dad laughed at me but I had 6 circles on my card at the end of the round. I've heard GG say it before that he wants his guys to leave their ego at home because sometimes you might shank 5 in a row when learning a new motion, it happens

Thanks, Kuchhhhh. Seen better players at Monte's clinics go completely lateral for a full day. I don't get spooked when single digits ignore the shanks when they keep working at what Monte instructs them. I'm much worse than them, so in no position to argue or get spooked by it. Just happens.

Epilogue: At range today, everything was normal. Still distance-challenged, but striking it mostly either solid or thin. I'm still me and that's OK. I'm not the Dali (big hitter). I'm the guy you want in the scramble that can stick it after the big hitter pipes the drive 300 in fairway. Latest article about Steve Stricker tells me I need to play my game. Today's range session was all about that.

Did anyone see his latest video on not sliding part 2? Its misleading because its mostly about getting the kids arms higher, which is one of my problems and giving him more time to rotate. He really explains how the arms get up with no lift. Dare I say a little armswing illusion like. He has interesting tidbits and concepts every video I see. Sorry, but this dude blows me away with his knowledge and how he teaches it. Very interesting stuff every time he talks.

I just wish so bad there was a Monte, Dan, GG in Chicago so I knew I wasn't throwing away $100 on "turn your hips more."

My pivot has just started to feel really comfortable and consistent starting about 3 weeks ago. By that, I really mean leaving the arms up and trusting the pivot to power the ball. When I leave the arms up and pivot, it feels like my right shoulder and right hip get to the ball well before the clubhead. It really feels exactly like David Duval looks. I noticed Andrew Landry looked similar coming through impact this week. It is hard to get rid of the pulling action with the arms, but I have finally over come it.

Interesting that you mention the Duval thing. I had a lesson with Monte and he pointed out that I was pointing/dipping head behind ball and slamming right shoulder into the ground. Had me practice hitting shots by turning my head towards the target on the downswing. Really gets my shoulders open and I feel like the club is just effortlessly dragging behind into the ball. I've been mixing that with GG pivot feel and it really is a sensation of effortless power. I feel as if I'm swinging with very little effort and I've picked up 15-20 yards with the driver and probably 10 yards with every iron. Tight little penetrating draws.

Did anyone see his latest video on not sliding part 2? Its misleading because its mostly about getting the kids arms higher, which is one of my problems and giving him more time to rotate. He really explains how the arms get up with no lift. Dare I say a little armswing illusion like. He has interesting tidbits and concepts every video I see. Sorry, but this dude blows me away with his knowledge and how he teaches it. Very interesting stuff every time he talks.

I just wish so bad there was a Monte, Dan, GG in Chicago so I knew I wasn't throwing away $100 on "turn your hips more."

Just watched it, really cool video. You can see how much it easier it is to get into a good position coming down and shallow out.

I'm still working on that position at the top, I have to feel like I have a huge turn and the shaft is pointing towards the sky at the top.

Thank you for posting Hstead! Jealous that your able to shallow the club with just the pivot. Been trying to do the same but I still pull that damn handle down lol

You'll get it. Try the no throw even if you have to start at 10 yards. Like you're going to punch it under a limb.

Thanks Bro, heading to the range now to try it out

Does anyone use the stand-up move in the backswing? It makes the shallowing and rotation on the downswing easier for me.

I haven't committed to this stuff whole-hog. I'm experimenting while I'm out of commission. But the combo of across the line, upright swing, and leg extension in the backswing has really helped me shallow the shaft in the downswing, without having to try and consciously lay it down, which never worked for me. Really interesting.

Does anyone use the stand-up move in the backswing? It makes the shallowing and rotation on the downswing easier for me.

I haven't committed to this stuff whole-hog. I'm experimenting while I'm out of commission. But the combo of across the line, upright swing, and leg extension in the backswing has really helped me shallow the shaft in the downswing, without having to try and consciously lay it down, which never worked for me. Really interesting.

I definitely need to incorporate this move into my swing. I've been told multiple times that I increase the flex in my right knee and sit down in the takeawn while my left hip simeltaneously moves towards the target. I think this move would help my pivot a lot.

Those are some absolute classic posts. I don't think I need to say anything. LOL

For some of the guys wanting to see a "No Throw", these are not the greatest but was in a rush before teeing off. These could admittedly be shorter. This was an 8 iron that probably flew 90 yards?

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks!?

Thanks!?

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

I like a lot of his ideas and his way will make it easier to make the changes I've been told I should make .

Is the head lowering in the backswing a big no no with GG then? I notice hogan did it, but it would make it harder to increase the hip flexion ?

To summarise his hip ideas it is to keep the right leg in external rotation and increase flexion slightly whilst the left leg goes into flexion and external rotation and the pelvis rotates ? Seems like the leg work is crucial to getting the hips to rotate

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

George doesn't care a great deal about how you get to the top, although he has preferences, but you are dead on. When it comes to wedges, GG wants to see the backswing closer to being on plane for the exact reasons you cited. When it comes to being a little steep going back, he thinks it is a feel preference and he himself likes the feeling of going from steep to shallow and he also believes it adds speed as others have said.

Interesting. How have you and his students handle that? Do you have different backswings for driver vs irons vs wedges.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Seems like the leg work is crucial to getting the hips to rotate

No pun intended, but do you see an alternative???

True and only now do I see my stupidity

Spent 15 years trying to get the left hip deeper in downswing without trying to do anything with the left leg first . Everything would be easier if my left heel lifted too, bloody fashion eh

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

I think/know that part of the deal with the leg action is that it has to be put in place before you reach the top of the backswing for it to be a correctly sequenced moved . The left leg has to start to ER before you reach the end of your backswing , and the intent maybe even earlier .

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

I think/know that part of the deal with the leg action is that it has to be put in place before you reach the top of the backswing for it to be a correctly sequenced moved . The left leg has to start to ER before you reach the end of your backswing , and the intent maybe even earlier .

I'm not sure about when the intent needs to be as that is highly variable between players, and I'm no expert on GG, but nothing I've seen of his suggests that you need to start the left leg move before the end of the bs.

Have been following this thread and its predecessor with great interest - thanks everyone!

As I've been experimenting with this motion, I have a question on the shallowig move. I've never been able to get my right shoulder out and around - I've always had a bit of a lateral slide, early right hip, and then flip at impact that I haven't been able to shake. In looking at videos of the wall drill where you are supposed to keep the stick moving down the wall with the pivot, this shallowig doesn't happen naturally for me. However, at the top of the bs, if I loosen my wrists and forearms, while keeping my right shoulder and elbow in place, gravity pulls the club head down towards behind my right heel. As the club head is falling if i turn my left shoulder and left hip down and around to the left everything seems to work and I get to p6 looking like GG demonstrates. I need to get this on video to have a better look at it but wondered if anyone else had this feel? It's not so much manipulation and intentional rolling the forearms clockwise, but rather letting the club head fall in transition while keeping everything else in place. It feels like the club is WAY behind me and under plane, but I've been swinging the same way for so long that what feels like underplane to me may be right. Is this crazy?

I'm not sure about when the intent needs to be as that is highly variable between players, and I'm no expert on GG, but nothing I've seen of his suggests that you need to start the left leg move before the end of the bs.

Seems to me in every great swing the left knee starts working ER as the club is nearing the top of the backswing . I feel if you wait till you get to the top of the swing hen try to do this move its already over . This is based on how it feels to me , for me to do the move correctly so might not work for anybody else

Also it seems to go hand in hand with trying to keep the hands up , as you cannot drop the arms and do the leg work as you would miss the ball

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

I think/know that part of the deal with the leg action is that it has to be put in place before you reach the top of the backswing for it to be a correctly sequenced moved .

Seems to me in every great swing the left knee starts working ER as the club is nearing the top of the backswing . I feel if you wait till you get to the top of the swing hen try to do this move its already over . This is based on how it feels to me , for me to do the move correctly so might not work for anybody else

Also it seems to go hand in hand with trying to keep the hands up , as you cannot drop the arms and do the leg work as you would miss the ball

Left leg and its knee movement happens as a natural athletic move and isnt needed to do as it will happen if you sequence properly.

It will also start before the end of the upswing.

Its part of the transition phase and the way to slot the club properly in the downswing.

Obviously if you dont sequence properly then you dont need to do it to make it happen but to fix why the left knee and leg isnt moving as it should.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

love this thread! Every time I read it I want to go have a 3 hour practice session. I'm going to join the member section of his website, feel as though I owe it to GG for as much "free content" he puts on YouTube, Instagram. ??

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Throwing in my 2 cents. I am definitely not an expert like Hstead and some of the other people who have take lessons directly from GG. When working on GG's pivot my missing piece was getting the club face "square" in the downswing. My face was open in the downswing and that was making me stall and throw my hands. If I did not stall or throw the club would be wide open at impact. For me I have to feel like my club face is very shut on the downswing and then it is easier to pivot without stall.

This might have been mentioned a couple times in the thread and in some of the GG videos but could be easily overlooked.

I believe what you are saying is generally true in most fluid swings- at a subconscious level. If you are familiar with the 'step' or 'baseball' drill, you have to step to the target side with the left foot and transfer some weight- before- the club gets to the top to even be able to hit the ball effectively.

Interesting though (the con argument) is that GG has shown repeatedly in his videos that his students can make great swings from various static freezer positions, including from a fully turned frozen position, then swinging down with left leg externally rotating- simultaneously.

Throwing in my 2 cents. I am definitely not an expert like Hstead and some of the other people who have take lessons directly from GG. When working on GG's pivot my missing piece was getting the club face "square" in the downswing. My face was open in the downswing and that was making me stall and throw my hands. If I did not stall or throw the club would be wide open at impact. For me I have to feel like my club face is very shut on the downswing and then it is easier to pivot without stall.

This might have been mentioned a couple times in the thread and in some of the GG videos but could be easily overlooked.

Stick drills and no-throw drills really help with this...

So how did you square the club on the downswing?