Oh no, not another "Take the plunge" thread - Byron Channel Island CI*18

SwingBlues

Yep, another "take the plunge" thread.

I am not a real putter fanatic as some of the posters here but I figured I needed to invest in a quality putter so 2 weeks ago, I started to peek into the customized putter industry. Never in the world would I have thought I would have plunked a "driver money" into a putter. Ever. But...

My 1st company of choice was company X (who shall remain nameless as they have good rep here but I just felt I got a bum steer from them). I looked at their website and they have just gorgeous finish and just the putter shape that I wanted.

In summary, to me and IMO, it was felt like a bait and switch but I didn't lay down the deposit. I had designed my putter with the shape they were offering on the net and their initial quote was quite reasonable, at $400. I then waited for a detailed spec and the Prez called me and we started to work the finer details of my putter. Long story short: the shape they were offering on the net was no longer valid, at least not without me paying for the person to hand grind it and the stamp they once had in production was now "no longer available" because of they switching milling machines etc etc....so what was a $400 was now a $500+ at least with just the basic circles and line stamping (and not my shape). I had a fixed budget and they just wanted more money and I really felt I should not pay for their re-tooling or their hand grinding just because they changed shape and NOT update their website to indicate or show this.

I felt so peeved off about wasting the 5 days of communications, phone calls and just wasting my time designing my putter graphics. It was something I really wanted and looked forward to it but in the end, their response was "it's not financially feasible for them to make my putter and the stamp". Fine, if you don't want my $500, I'll take it to another company...after all, the economy is just rolling here, ain't it?!?!?

Then I remember another putter that I really, really liked and it was similar in the shape to my XG#9 - the Byron Morgan Channel Island. At the time, I could not afford the protos that were on sale but this time, it looked like the Channel Islands had hit production and the funds (umh, driver fund) was there. So I talked to Drewspin and then I talked to the Zman and the deal was done: what took 2 days to sort was EXACTLY the specs I was looking for and THANK GOD there was no bum steer from Byron & Zman - these guys were true to the word, some minor changes did not cost me extra and the photos just look DEAD GORGEOUS.

So I am now in the "I can't wait for it to get here" mode. Thanks Zman & Bryon - I soooooooooooooooooooooooo loook forward to getting my hands on my dream putter.

I will post a review and drop some side by side comparisons with my XG#9 and the NC Series 4. It will be interesting indeed - giving up on the LV5 for the Channel Island :D

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the pics. What minor changes did you make? I have been eyeing a CL for quite some time and am saving for one.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Not a specific price but what was the range?

If you were referring to the range from Company X, didn't even get there and he didn't even give me a range. I told the Prez what my budget was and the initial quote was below this, easily. Then he started to mull about the time, hand grinding, it's going to cost $75 to $125 per hour to get the stamp (which by the way is just one of the card suite that could have fitted on the top line). It really sounded like it blowing out to be expensive and I was not going to budge considering what was quoted and obviously he just felt he didn't want to take this business. Hell - I could have got a Scotty off the Ebay which is what this design was based from for far less!

In the end, it sounded like he just wanted too much profit but $500 is $500 and there are some great customized putter companies that would have done it for far less but I perservered over X just because of the for the shape of the putter they were offering that no one else was doing.

Funny enough, I found one in the BST for about 1/4 the price I would have paid!!!

Go figure. Moral of the story: don't deviate from your budget!

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Looking forward to the pics. What minor changes did you make? I have been eyeing a CL for quite some time and am saving for one.

I asked Zman for a full sight line, a couple of alphabets on the toe and the metallic gold paint fill and bent to 70* (it's 71* standard). Length will be 33" and weight around 350-355 is perfect as is the loft :)

It was a flat $450, shipping and insurance included and you have to sign for it (as I found out today after emailing the Zman - due to some concerns with thefts by UPS and the USPS as reported in some forums). Mine is the rincon 18 neckline.

You got it. Last time I talked to Zman, the neck was welded so it's waiting for the Coldstar finish. Note to self: be patient, be patient.....:)

Yep, another "take the plunge" thread.

I am not a real putter fanatic as some of the posters here but I figured I needed to invest in a quality putter so 2 weeks ago, I started to peek into the customized putter industry. Never in the world would I have thought I would have plunked a "driver money" into a putter. Ever. But...

I will post a review and drop some side by side comparisons with my XG#9 and the NC Series 4. It will be interesting indeed - giving up on the LV5 for the Channel Island :D

Everything about the Channel Island impressed me as exceptionally well thought and well made. There's no driver that can hold a candle to a putter that works for you and this one's got everything going for it... and wait until you see the headcover!

Good luck with it - I can't wait for the review.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

You guys....driving the "impatient" knife deeper into my back...lol. It's waiting to be Coldstar-ed so just keep putting the XG#9.

I order the teal headcover...anyone got a pic of that?

Here you go

*droool*

/wipe up mess after

• 4 weeks later...

True to their word, Steve and Byron completed my order, did EXACTLY as I requested included a custom stamp on the face, full & gold paintfill sightline and finished in the Cold Star Triple Polist Channel Island CI*18. The finish is perfect! It arrived yesterday and I did have to sign for it via USPS. Man, it was well packed!

dsc069611200resvw7.jpg

Thank Goodness I NEVER had the hassle & dissappointment as I did with Company X.

You RAWK Byron Morgan & Z-Man !!!!!!!!!!

It's the 1st custom order putter and the most bloody expensive putter I have owned. I am still getting use to the idea of spending that sort of money on a putter than a driver.

The Byron now joins the my stable of OEM putters: Never Compromise Series 4, Odyssey XG#9, Ping G2 Craze-E and a Tourstage Warrenville, all of 'em hooked up to the Biglite grip (except the Series 4 which has the Super Stroke on it). Kinda makes the Byron the Ferrari in that lot of putter but they're all :friends:

I had about a couple of hours with it on the greens this afternoon and it is different from the rest, abliet it has the same shape head as my XG9 and #4 and it takes a little getting use to for the feel and the look (I had my XG9 since it 1st came out). Head size wise, it is bigger - it feels like a MOI putter with the weighted heel and toe flange.

I will write a detail review later but I am going to play with it for the time being :partytime2:

Had one round today at Apple Valley. The greens were fast and the putter putted beautifully, 6 feet in, no problem unless it's operator error. What I liked about the face is how smooth the roll of the ball comes off the face, none of the bounce that I normally see. Also, the consistency in the feel is there for the short, medium and long putts now: something that was totally missing for me on the XG9.

I thought the True Temper shaft was too soft before the round but today, in actual play, it's didn't feel that bad, I kinda liked it.

One thing though, I need to have Byron bend the lie, I ordered it 71* which is suppose to be the same as my XG#9 but it's still way toe high on my setup. I needs to be flatten by a degree or 2.

Other than that, I really enjoyed putting on the faster greens. Off to see Byron this week...

Great looking putter - I haev the 007x with a rincon neck in the exact same finish (coldstar with gold paint) - picked it up recently - absolutely beautifull putter. Certainly will turn a few heads out on the course, even if you are like me and putt like a dog sometimes ;)

MORE PICS PALEEEEASE!....dayum that looks nice

I will, I will. I have a ton of pics with some very nice comparisons to my XG9, NC Series #4 next to each other including toe hangs.

I'm just waiting to fine-tune the setup and add a few more rounds. It's one thing to roll the ball on the practice green and it's another to put it in play and making a putt for par or bogey.

I have met DA MAN - Byron Morgan at his work shop.

Drove down through our lovely Los Angeles freeway for about 1 1/2 hr to Huntington Beach, just to have Byron bend my CI*18. I kinda got a bit lost due to CalTrans deciding to dig up the road and close it right infront of Byron's workshop but a quick call, I knew where it was.

My first impression of Byron is "man, this is one dude you do not want to mess with in a fight". He's a big dude! Of course, me the duffus, called Byron "John" - I have no idea why that name stuck on my lips...ah...been hanging around the BST for way too long and seeing all those older "John Byrons" putter. Who knows.

After kicking myself in the butt quietly...I noticed on his bench were about 5 or 6 006s or 007s, all done in the black rainbow finish - MY GOD! How totally awesome is that finish! I've seen pictures of the finish but to see it in real life, it's a totally different experience. The subtle rainbow dark finish just looks so, so good. Some lucky people will be very happy indeed! Now it's got me thinking if I should send my Channel Island to get it re-done in this finish....hmmmh.

Anyway, those rincon necks were hard to bend. Byron had it on a smaller bench clamp and finally he took it to a larger one and after a few stonger tugs, he had it down to 70*. Not a single mark on the face or shaft - he took meticulous care to wrap it. Checked the loft and it was still 3*.

Now, it's perfect. Sits well, just as I expected.

As for the shaft, I first thought the shaft was a tad weak but now I don't know. I putted really well yesterday on the fast greens, and in the pressure of play. And the feedback and control was great, not once did it occur in my mind that the shaft effecting my stroke all day. Nonetheless, Byron left the offer on the table that if I need the shaft changed, it was no problem.

Considering the run around I had with Company X and how much they wanted, all I have to say now is THANK YOU Company X for not taking my order.

Now I have my perfect putter and I am glad my money went to a company that is totally customer oriented & innovative - Byron was totally great (so was Steve DA Z-MAN). From start to finish and even after I purchased it, Byron was more than happy than help me tweak the setup.

Totally Awesome.