2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Jim Waldron's Instruction Programs

Hi everybody! I recently decided to become a sponsor here at golfwrx, after being a member here since 2009 and an active participant in the instruction threads for the past few years. Most of you already know a little about me from the mega-thread on the Arm Swing Illusion: http://www.golfwrx.c...ing-philosophy/

I still intend to post regularly in the ASI thread, mainly about various other aspects of my teaching philosophy, so this thread will be more specifically geared toward the basic “when, where, how long, etc.” regarding my instruction programs. I will keep updating this thread regularly regarding upcoming schools, videos and E-books, etc.

Think of this thread as just a condensed version of some of the important information that is on our website.

First off, a bit of background on me and my company.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 503-997-2063, 800-898-4563.

Youtube: https://www.youtube...._gZ2Eq_-ElaLF8g

facebook: https://www.facebook...f?ref=bookmarks

I founded Balance Point Golf Schools, in 1995, with golf instruction programs in Portland, Oregon in the summer and near Honolulu, Hawaii in the winter. For the past 20 years, we have helped several thousand golf school graduates breakthrough to extraordinary golf.

We offer small group “public” golf schools of typically three to six students, Private Custom golf schools (one student and myself, or two golf buddies/two spouses and myself), private lessons, online lessons in real time via Skype, Facetime or Hangouts, and E-book and video instruction programs.

Both public and Private Custom golf schools are offered in half-day, full day and multi-day formats. The full day programs average 7.5 hours of instruction per day. We offer skill-specific golf schools in single and multi-day formats on golf swing/ballstriking, short game, putting and mental game.

Teaching Awards: GOLF Magazine Top 25 Golf Schools in the nation award for 2001 and 2003, (and also recommended golf school in their 1999 and 2008 articles on best schools) , GOLF Top Regional Teachers/ Northwest 2001-2008, Golf Digest Best Teachers in State award 2013-2014 and 2015-2016.(Oregon).

GOLF Magazine qoute from their Top 25 Golf School Award article: “....alumni of the schools told us that their experiences were overwhelmingly positive in helping them to play better golf.” In a 1999 article on top golf schools, the instruction editor at GOLF Magazine said about the blend of mechanics and mental training that we employ at Balance Point "...the most significant advancement in golf instruction in over 25 years.".

I created Total Immersion training for golf, a real “boot camp” intensive learning experience, where the whole day is devoted to the student: 1. attaining several Deep Insights (light bulb moments) about a particular golf skill, and 2. having enough time to work on the drills that support that Insight, so that a dominant habit begins to form.

The end result is that students leave the golf school with: 1. a high level of conceptual clarity about the proper mechanics , 2. a Swing Map at the subconscious mind level that has been imprinted with the proper mechanics, 3. an understanding of how to practice effectively to translate 1 and 2 into a truly effective golf swing/stroke based on dominant habits.

This allows the golf school graduate to quickly begin to play golf with a sense of trust, freedom and joy – like athletes do in other sports. Great Shot!, Short Game and Putting schools content is about 75% “model” information (the ideal of scientific principles/research and the empirical model, ie how the tour pros do it) and 25% individual student Fatal Flaw corrective exercises. Our “two parallel tracks” approach has been proven to be very effective at achieving what every golfer wants – more consistent ball flight, ie much better misses and better “good” shots, more distance, and better accuracy.

I am the lead instructor at every scheduled “public” golf school, and at every Private Custom golf school. I have a staff of four very skilled assistant instructors that have been with me for many years, and who know my system inside and out. I believe that our students need and deserve consistent feedback and tons of personal attention, and they get that at our golf schools. Our student:teacher ratio averages 2.5/1, and is often even lower than that. We offer affordable follow up instruction to our graduates via both in person and online lessons, including live via Skype webcam and phone consults.

For those interested in learning more, the logical first step is to check out our website. There is a Teaching Philosophy section and a long interview posted on the site that covers some of my main ideas in depth. There is also a Testimonials section with a large number of reviews from our golf school graduates. Here are a few samples.

"Man oh man the ballstriking just keeps getting better and better! Your Arm Swing Illusion concept is absolutely the secret of the golf swing. Just getting the concepts helps you to hit the ball better immediately. I am very pleased with my progress. It seems like I really do have a complete understanding of the golf swing for the first time in my life. I know it is the illusions that confuse a majority of golfers. After watching more of your videos it is apparent that you have it down on how the swing really works. Your Great Shot! golf swing school was an amazing learning experience and worth every penny...thanks to Jim Waldron and his staff for showing me the way to true ball striking consistency and lower scores."

Harlan Peschel, Montana

“Jim Waldron and his staff teach the complete golf swing from A to Z. You leave the golf school totally knowing the correct golf swing and how to learn it with specific drills...good value for the money."

Richard Hull, Dallas, TX

"Jim, I have watched your Great Shot! golf swing fundamentals DVD series several times now and find them very helpful. I am positive they are by far the best instruction DVD's on the market. I think there will be a huge market for them. I showed parts of them to a good friend of mine who has dozens of golf instruction DVD's and he was very impressed. He also said he thought they are by far the best instruction series he has ever seen."

Wally Hobson, Portland, OR

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank the entire golfwrx community for all of your support over the past few years, it has been a privilege to be part of this tribe of golf fans. I have had the opportunity to meet in person and to coach many of the members here and every one of them has been a class act, and I learned something about golf from each of them.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Jim

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#222222][size=3]More About My Golf Schools [/size][/color]

[size=3]Our host facility is Quail Valley Golf Course, about 20 minutes from downtown Portland. We have the finest all grass practice facility in the Northwest, with a large short game practice area and putting green. There are several affordable nearby hotels, about a 5-10 minute drive to the course, that are listed on the Accommodations page of our website. We have the left side of the range reserved our golf school programs, with everything we need to make for a comfortable learning environment - chairs, umbrellas for shade, water, juice, fruit, snack foods, training aids, etc.[/size]

[color=#222222][size=3]Our most popular golf school is “Great Shot! Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking”, devoted to golf swing fundamentals. The core program is two full days of instruction, on the weekend, with optional programs on Friday (short game, putting) and Thursday ( mental game). [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Graduating from this golf school is like getting a Masters Degree in ballstriking! You will learn the “body of knowledge” about golf swing fundamentals that will allow you to become your own best golf swing coach, so that you have a framework of skills and information that will allow you to continue to improve moving forward. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Tuition: $1,195 two day school, $1,695 three day school, $1,995 four day school. Includes unlimited range balls from 8:45am until dusk, Great Shot! manual, 7.5 hours of hands-on instruction daily, and a 30 minute follow up lesson by phone/webcam two weeks after graduation.[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]We also offer full one day intensive programs on: Putting, Short Game and Mental Game. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Our “Ultimate Swing School” is six full days of intensive Total Immersion “boot camp” training designed to quickly bring you to a much higher level of ballstriking skill. August 3-8. Maximum of just four students, with myself and one assistant instructor. 9AM-6PM daily. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Private Custom golf schools are by appointment. These are becoming more and more popular in the past few years. “Custom” meaning the content of the school is completely devoted to your individual concerns, needs and interests. This could be a combination of golf swing fundamentals, putting, short game or mental game, or it could mean devoting the entire school to just one of those key skill areas. Full Day includes 7 1/2 hours of instruction, training manual and 30 minute follow-up lesson. [/size][/color]

[size=3]Please PM me if you have any questions.[/size]

[size=3]Thanks![/size]

[size=3]Jim[/size]

[color=#222222][size=3]E-books: You can download our new E-book, “Great Shot!: Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking” here: $49.95 in E-pub format. [url="http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/pro-shop/books/product/1-greatshot"]http://www.balancepo...uct/1-greatshot[/url][/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]This is our newly updated manual for our Great Shot! golf swing/ballstriking school. 200 pages of great information about how to design and build your own best golf swing. Including how to learn and practice golf skills effectively. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222]”[size=3]Jim Waldron's Great Shot! ballstriking manual should be considered the Bible of modern tour pro golf swing instruction.” Jim Tolan, Ireland.[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]I am currently updating our putting, short game and mental game manuals, and turning them into E-books, available for download by December of this year. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Video Programs: We are currently in production on the updated Great Shot! Series, covering golf swing/ballstriking fundamentals. There will be ten Modules in the series. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Module One, Part A: The Six Laws of Club Motion is now available as a download from our website. $69.95, viewing time one hour and 40 minutes. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Module Two on the Arm Swing Illusion and Module One, Part B target release date is June 15. Modules will be released as they are completed. I expect to have the entire project completed and available for download from our site by December 15 of this year.[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Please feel free to PM with any questions you may have.[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Thanks![/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]Jim[/size][/color]

A very brief summary of my overall teaching philosophy from a long-time student of mine: "Take equal parts hard sciences (biomechanics, geometry, physics), peak performance awareness practice from the Zen mindfulness tradition and NLP, and mix them with a dash of Asian martial arts training methods, throw in a bit of cutting-edge comedy, and you get Jim Waldron and his approach to teaching folks how to play extraordinary golf."

I use the brain-mind/body connection model in all areas of instruction. All mechanical skills are designed to be performed from the subconscious mind only, or dominant habit formation, NOT from conscious mind mode - effort, choice or thinking. One way we help students to achieve this is to clearly separate learning mechanics or body movement patterns, ie the technical/engineering aspects, from the artistic/creative aspect of hitting a golf ball to a precise target. They are like oil and water - you need both, but they don't mix well. Each has it's appropriate time and place and rules for behavior.

I encourage my students to understand the golf swing as a motion that happens in three-dimensional space, with time (tempo, rhythm, sequencing) as the fourth dimension. And that means overcoming the very common “default” premise of thinking about the golf swing in two-dimensional terms. Being able to see through some of the many Sensory Illusions is the main path to achieving that outcome.

I strongly believe that – of the physical fundamentals – Balance has the most influence on your body and club motion, and thus impact, and thus the outcome of the ball flight. So I always start my swing diagnosis with a new student by observing how well they are staying in Balance throughout the swing, and the connection of their feet to the ground. The second most influential physical fundamental, in my opinion, is Setup. Starting with the foundation of a pro level Setup, and learning how to move the body in Balance, is the essential first step. After that has been achieved, we then will move on to working on some of the more technical aspects of body and club motion: swing plane, pivot, arm swing, wrist mechanics, right arm mechanics, release, etc.

Although we use an intensive approach to coaching, usually in a full day format, and we take very seriously the challenge of helping you to breakthrough to better golf, our students tells us that our golf schools are the most fun they have ever had with a golf club in their hands! The atmosphere is very light-hearted, with lots of laughter.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Jim

[color=#222222][size=3]Online/Remote Lessons: these are becoming more popular. The student tapes their swing, putting or short game stroke, as per my instructions, and then send them to me via Google Drive or Youtube link. I analyze the video, and then we “meet” to discuss my findings. [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]I normally like to use Skype webcam for the actual lesson, as I can demonstrate or the student can show me in real time how they are doing a drill, and I can then provide real-time visual and auditory feedback. This method has proven to be very effective in helping the student to breakthrough to a higher level of skill. Not quite as effective as an in-person lesson of the same amount of time, but pretty close. And the cool thing about this, is that I am giving real time instruction with folks who sometimes live halfway around the world! [/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=3]45 minute lesson - $88 (15 minute video analysis/30 minute webcam lesson)[/size][/color]
[color=#222222][size=3]One hour lesson - $110. (15 minute video analysis, 45 minute webcam lesson). [/size][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Here are the summer 2016 Great Shot! golf swing fundamentals school dates, in our Portland, Oregon location at Quail Valley Golf Course: June 25-26, July 30-31, August 27-28, September 24-25. There is an optional third day for short game and putting instruction on June 24, July 29, August 26 and September 23.

Ultimate Swing School ballstriking "boot camp" will be held on August 3-8: six consecutive days, from 9AM-6PM of intensive Total Immersion learning on how to craft an efficient golf swing.

Private Custom Golf Schools are available at selected dates throughout the summer and fall of 2016, in Portland.

More info at our website: www.balancepointgolf.com.

Or you can PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Upcoming short game and putting schools in Portland.

Putting "boot camp": 7.5 hours of intensive instruction on the fundamentals of putting, routine and trigger, and greens-reading.

August 3, September 2.

Short Game: chipping, pitching, and bunker shot fundamentals. August 4, September 3.

More info at: www.balancepointgolf.com