Garmin Approach X40

I took the plunge an purchased an x40 yesterday. My local Edwin Watts had them in stock. Up to this point I haven't done anything other than take it out of the box. I plan to get it out on the course this weekend. I will try to provide a review after I've had it out on the course.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade Gloire HY U4 JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Sonartec  T46b12 JDM LW 60* - TT S200
Royal Collection  East Coast - Miami JDM 

Jones  Rover R Utility

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the band feel on your wrist? Can't really tell from the pictures if it's the same kind of flex as the S20 or if it's more like a hard flex bracelet watch band.

Also could you describe the vibration you get on alerts? One of the things I like on the S20 is that the alert sound is so tiny and perfect, it doesn't distract me even if it triggers in the middle of a swing. Have been wondering if the vibrate alert would. Or do you have a choice between vibrate and a tone alert?

Thx.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

- The band is a very soft flex, very rubber bandy almost. I think its softer than the S20.

- the vibration is not distracting at all, I actually think it may be to soft. I didn't even notice any vibration/sounds on the course though. I tend to move around a lot so it just may have been me. During non-golf use, the vibration and sound is not loud or obtrusive at all for notifications received via BT from the phone.

So far, I do really like the x40 and with some upgrades to their shot tracking, club selection option, and statistical summaries, it should replace my Game Golf Live. I just hope they actually do make those improvements.

How does the band feel on your wrist? Can't really tell from the pictures if it's the same kind of flex as the S20 or if it's more like a hard flex bracelet watch band.

Also could you describe the vibration you get on alerts? One of the things I like on the S20 is that the alert sound is so tiny and perfect, it doesn't distract me even if it triggers in the middle of a swing. Have been wondering if the vibrate alert would. Or do you have a choice between vibrate and a tone alert?

Thx.

I had an opportunity to use my X40 over the weekend. I didn't get a complete round in, but was able to play 15 holes. Overall, I am impressed with the device.

Build Quality - The X40 appears to be solidly constructed. It is very lightweight and I didn't even notice it on my arm. I am used to playing with a regular watch and the X40 was far less noticable than what I am used to. At first the band seemed kind of flimsy to me, but it's really just very elastic which adds to the comfort of the watch. Under normal use I believe the X40 will hold up fine. The display is very easy to read in sun or shade.

Yardage Accuracy - I found the yardages to be spot on with the yardage markers on my course. I did not have a laser with me to double check, but the yardage markers agreed with the X40 yardages in virtually every spot that I tested. Yardages to hazards and layup points are also available and are easy to access. The X40 is also allows you to reposition the pin to get a better distance to the pin. I did not try this function as the course I was playing has tiny greens, but I expect this feature will be useful when playing a course with larger greens.

Setup - I found the device relatively easy to set up. I scanned the manual, but it was not a lot of help. If you've used a smartphone or watch of this type before you shouldn't have any trouble configuring it for golf.

Shot Tracking - I had Shot Tracking turned on for my round as well as Scoring. The X40 recognized every shot I hit (it does not recognize putts). Scorekeeping was straighforward. I configured Shot Tracking to ask me for every club. Therefore, I was able to pick the club I used for each shot. During the configuration process you enter an average driver distance. From that distance the X40 makes it's best guess as to what club you used. I would say it was accurate about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. One small negative is that it is fairly easy to select the incorrect club. At least once in my round when I tried to scroll down from 3 wood to select a 2 iron I accidently selected 3 wood. I plan to do some more experimenting with the Shot Tracking function, as this is the main reason I purchased the X40.

Smartphone App - The smartphone app seems to be fairly complete. It tracks shots (if you have Shot Tracking enabled). You can see each shot mapped on a hole by hole basis. The app also accumulates statistics, although many of the more desired statistics such as strokes gained, etc are not accumulated. You can review your complete scorecard, but as many have said, there does not appear to be a way to edit your rounds. I have not yet installed Garmin Express on my computer so there may be an editing function on Express that I do not know about.

Overall Impression - My overall impression of the X40 is favorable. As a GPS watch, used strictly for yardages, I would say it's one of the best out there. It's fast, accurate, easy to read. Hopefully, Garmin will continue to enhance the software. If they can address a few of the shortcomings, they will have a great product in the X40.

Jones  Rover R Utility

Use the Garmin Connect web portal to edit your shots. You can only delete shots and edit your clubs though. It boggles my mind that Garmin did not implement any way to add shots, move a shot, or edit your scorecard post game. This has apparently been a lacking feature for the last few years though on all of their devices.

Thanks for the tip. I was able to edit using the web portal.

Jones  Rover R Utility

If you turn off all the Shot Tracking and Scoring options, can you use it simply as a golf GPS unit to see your front/middle/back distances before each shot?

I'd like the option of playing golf without tapping stuff on the touchscreen, which is the way I'd use it the majority of the time. I guess I'm really asking if it can be used in a basic "Approach S1" type mode.

If you turn off all the Shot Tracking and Scoring options, can you use it simply as a golf GPS unit to see your front/middle/back distances before each shot?

I'd like the option of playing golf without tapping stuff on the touchscreen, which is the way I'd use it the majority of the time. I guess I'm really asking if it can be used in a basic "Approach S1" type mode.

Yes, it can work as a GPS unit without shot/score/stats tracking. You can turn those options off in the setup screen.

Jones  Rover R Utility

I got one of these as an early Father's Day present and was able to take it out on at TPC Potomac at Avenel yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Physical Design:

- I do not wear a watch, so for me it took some adjustment to get use to it on my wrist. However, the x40 is very light and fairly comfortable once I got use to it. One issue is that it is fairly thick and I'm accidentally knocking into things with it. The thickness prevents it from fitting under a lot of my dress shirts also, which negates its use as an all day fitness tracker..

- Material is mostly plastic. I'm a little worried the long term durability of the center part, but I think the rubbery side band help protect it from bumps.

- Bands do not seem to be easily replaceable but do fit comfortably size wise. For reference, I'm 5'9" and weight 150lbs and my wrists are probably smaller than average.

- Charger is proprietary clip on USB unit, so you can't just use any USB cable to charge the device.

- Screen is super readable in direct sunlight, even at it's lowest brightness setting.

Manual

- The manual is very sparse and does not really explain what a lot of the settings do. For example, I still can not figure out what the "Auto Lock Screen" setting actually does. There is going to be some trial and error with the settings until I figure what a lot of what the device does.

Device UI Design for Golf:

- To start golfing, just hit the bottom button to access the menu, then tap the golfer icon. The x40 will then locate the course and begin. Simple enough.

- Distances seem accurate. My playing partners were using a Garmin S5 and a rangefinder. Distances between all 3 devices and markers on the course were very consistent.

- The x40 has 3 different golf tracking options that I turned on. After every registered swing, it asks for what club you used, if its on the fairway, miss left, miss right, on green, etc. In the beginning, it was very confusing to use, but I started to get the hang of it near the end. In my opinion, the process is a bit of a manual input overload to do after every shot, so I will probably be turning some of the options off to simplify it all.

1) Stat Tracking - I think this is the option that keeps track of Fairway hits, misses, on green and putts. I'll probably turn this option off since it seems the most useless to me. Oddly enough, the Phone App and Web summaries do not even show your miss left/right, so it seems pointless to have that tracking to complicate the input process. The summary only show percent on fairway, GIR, and putts per hole.

2) Club Tracking - Manual input of club you used after each registered shot. I wish I could edit this list and delete/add clubs I have/do not have so that there are less things to scroll through. I'm also disappointed that it always starts at Driver after every shot. I could be 150ft from the hole, but have to scroll all the way to my 8i (Going past Driver, 3W, 5W, 3H, 4H, and then all my longer irons). Since it has my distance to green, you would think it would auto-scroll to the clubs I'm more likely to use. I assumed this was a feature, since one of the options asks for driver distance and based on that, it wold do the auto-club selection. Can some one else verify that for me?

3) Scoring - I assume this is to input your score after every hole to record and keep track of in the software.

Software

- One major drawback I have so far is post round editing. The Android Phone App and the Web page are a bit buggy. Example, on the App, I got a bogey on the first hole (which it shows correctly on the scorecard), but the hole summary shows 6 shots (it somehow double registered my approach shot). I can not delete this duplicate shot, even though I keep clicking and confirming the deletion. I was also unable to move any shots, change the club, edit if it was on the fairway, miss left/right, or on green using the Phone App.

- The web interface is a little better. I was able to at least change clubs and delete shots. The screen does not immediately refresh, so if you delete a shot, it does not "connect" them. You have refresh the page to get it to show correctly. There are still no options to add shots, move a shot, mark as OB/penalty, mark as miss left/right, or on the green. This seems like a bad design, since having the map there makes it much easier to do the post stat tracking feature which I prefer to turn off (the option to mark as miss, on green, putts).

- There also is no summary to see what your distances are for each club. I would love to see what my min/max/avg are for each club, but I can not find that summary in the App or Web page. Hopefully, this is an option to come.

I don't have the x40 but do have the S20. So assuming that the web software interface is the same:

You can see your detailed stats (Putts, GIR, Fairway Hits/Misses) by going to Garmin Connect. Once there, you should see a list of all yur scorecards. Click on one then click on "you". Your stats should appear.

You also add/change/delete your clubs from the Garmin Connect. Click on the symbol that resembles a Hamburger on the top left. A series of options appear. Click on gear and the click on Golf. You should see an option to edit as well as the averages you hit for each club. Note that this is a true average and includes miss hits and chips.

As you stated, to allow the device to be more accurate on your choice of clubs, you must enter your average driving distance. It bases club selection based upon this number. Unfortunately, for mine, I had to add yards to my average drive to get better accuracy.

You are absolutely correct on complaining about the shot summary. This has been a major complaint since day 1 on the S20 and still is not fixed.

Hope this helps.

I need to replace a GPS running watch, I'd like to get this to kill two birds with one stone.

Have any of you folks that have bought this used any of the other activity trackers and care to comment?

I use mine to track steps, sleep, running and golf. It works well for all of those. I really like the form factor, and I've had zero problems with it so far.

I don't have the x40 but do have the S20. So assuming that the web software interface is the same:

You can see your detailed stats (Putts, GIR, Fairway Hits/Misses) by going to Garmin Connect. Once there, you should see a list of all yur scorecards. Click on one then click on "you". Your stats should appear.

You also add/change/delete your clubs from the Garmin Connect. Click on the symbol that resembles a Hamburger on the top left. A series of options appear. Click on gear and the click on Golf. You should see an option to edit as well as the averages you hit for each club. Note that this is a true average and includes miss hits and chips.

As you stated, to allow the device to be more accurate on your choice of clubs, you must enter your average driving distance. It bases club selection based upon this number. Unfortunately, for mine, I had to add yards to my average drive to get better accuracy.

You are absolutely correct on complaining about the shot summary. This has been a major complaint since day 1 on the S20 and still is not fixed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was able to edit my club selection so now I don't have any unused items. After my 2nd time out, the club selection was much better after every shot and was usually just off by one club. It still just sucks that the software does not allow you to add/move shots or edit your scorecard. I'm just amazed that this is not an option and only assumed it was standard. Now, I still have to use Game Golf Live to track my shots since I know I can edit them afterwards.

Although still a good device, the x40 does not detect all of my shots and I don't think I've ever noticed the vibration on it. Battery life still doesn't seem very good either. With a full charge after one 4.5 hr round today, I was only down to one bar of battery life (and that was with Bluetooth off since Game Golf Live did not behave well with both devices on Bluetooth)

I just got the X40 as a gift but haven't used it on the course. I love the functionality of this thing. But I wear 1.5 readers and am a little worried it may be an issue on the course. My issue isn't with front center back of green but some of the smaller screen fonts. Thoughts from others that wear readers?

Just played my first round with my X40. Played a best ball scramble so I kept club tracking off. Just used it for distances and hazards. Very easier to navigate once you get the feel of how the touch screen works and how to negotiate the screens and selections. Very accurate. We compared against another gps and a range finder. Well within a few yards down of each other. Spot on with sprinkler yardage so when we could find them.

Had a Bushnell I could not wear while swinging. X40 was a winner in comfort. Fits fine while wearing a glove. Very light. Battery life was fine for one round. Charge clip is great compared to some of the aligator clips on other watches. Been keeping activity trackng on just to see what I do for a day. Not a fit bit geek by any means. Probably will shut this function off after a few days. But for those that track their activities, this is collects good info.

I strongly recommend this device.

Hope this helps. Regards.

I need to replace a GPS running watch, I'd like to get this to kill two birds with one stone.

Have any of you folks that have bought this used any of the other activity trackers and care to comment?

I use mine to track steps, sleep, running and golf. It works well for all of those. I really like the form factor, and I've had zero problems with it so far.

I picked up a vivoactive hr. For the same price it gives many more features plus golf. Form factor is a little bigger and you have to preload courses but that hasn't been a big deal for me.

I got the X40 for Fathers Day and have been wearing it for a few days and got a chance to play 1 round so far.

I was initially concerned that as a guy that wears 1.5 readers it might be an issue for smaller font, but to be honest with outside lighting I had no issue. The green yardages are plenty big for people with worse eyes.

I love the form factor and functionality of this thing. A superb fitness/activity monitor in its own right that includes heart rate and so much data, along with rich golf functionality!

On the course it's easy to use. I had autoshot and scoring turned on. It did miss a few shots, but those were greenside punch and runs that probably appeared like putts so those don't register. You do enter the number of putts, but unless I was on the green I wasn't counting those punch & runs as putts.

GPS accuracy was generally good, although I need to keep an eye on it as it was off by nearly 10 yards at times. But I'll take that with a grain of salt because my Neo-x was giving some odd readings as well. So maybe atmospheric related or because they were < 2 feet of each other and maybe some device to device interference. I assume the X40 is as accurate as any other Garmin watch which is very good.

The documentation stinks, so you're on your own for figuring out a lot of capabilities. Initially I wasn't sure what to do with shot recording, other than turning on autoshot--- but all you do is swing the club, it gives you best guess of which club you used, if you need to change it then you just scroll do the right club and tap it. Then proceed to your ball, hit and repeat. You just don't want to swing the club when you aren't at your ball, because it will record that shot, but I guess you can delete it post round. Practice swings at your ball are fine.

When finishing a hole it asks you for score, # putts, if you hit fairway, missed right or left-- although the stats don't summarize right and left misses, the score card does indicate as such.

Post round all the data displays nicely on the Garmin connect app and their website. You can delete a shot or edit the club post round, but you can't add in a shot. No big deal if you ask me. You also get a nice stats summary like GIR, Putts, Fairways hit and score card. On the Garmin site you can look at history hole by hole and so much more more.

Battery life was about 50% when done with 18 (4 hours), but have no idea how long it will really go yet. Doesn't matter to me since I really haven't played more than 18 in one day.

While I didn't want it for this reason, the ability to look at your shots hole by hole on a map is pretty cool. You can also overlay shots from historical rounds to analyze any tendencies. The X40 is definitely pretty cool, with a ton of functionality in an incredibly small package.

I got the X40 for Fathers Day and have been wearing it for a few days and got a chance to play 1 round so far.

I was initially concerned that as a guy that wears 1.5 readers it might be an issue for smaller font, but to be honest with outside lighting I had no issue. The green yardages are plenty big for people with worse eyes.

I love the form factor and functionality of this thing. A superb fitness/activity monitor in its own right that includes heart rate and so much data, along with rich golf functionality!

On the course it's easy to use. I had autoshot and scoring turned on. It did miss a few shots, but those were greenside punch and runs that probably appeared like putts so those don't register. You do enter the number of putts, but unless I was on the green I wasn't counting those punch & runs as putts.

GPS accuracy was generally good, although I need to keep an eye on it as it was off by nearly 10 yards at times. But I'll take that with a grain of salt because my Neo-x was giving some odd readings as well. So maybe atmospheric related or because they were < 2 feet of each other and maybe some device to device interference. I assume the X40 is as accurate as any other Garmin watch which is very good.

The documentation stinks, so you're on your own for figuring out a lot of capabilities. Initially I wasn't sure what to do with shot recording, other than turning on autoshot--- but all you do is swing the club, it gives you best guess of which club you used, if you need to change it then you just scroll do the right club and tap it. Then proceed to your ball, hit and repeat. You just don't want to swing the club when you aren't at your ball, because it will record that shot, but I guess you can delete it post round. Practice swings at your ball are fine.

When finishing a hole it asks you for score, # putts, if you hit fairway, missed right or left-- although the stats don't summarize right and left misses, the score card does indicate as such.

Post round all the data displays nicely on the Garmin connect app and their website. You can delete a shot or edit the club post round, but you can't add in a shot. No big deal if you ask me. You also get a nice stats summary like GIR, Putts, Fairways hit and score card. On the Garmin site you can look at history hole by hole and so much more more.

Battery life was about 50% when done with 18 (4 hours), but have no idea how long it will really go yet. Doesn't matter to me since I really haven't played more than 18 in one day.

While I didn't want it for this reason, the ability to look at your shots hole by hole on a map is pretty cool. You can also overlay shots from historical rounds to analyze any tenancies. The X40 is definitely pretty cool, with a ton of functionality in an incredibly small package.

299....Nice drive!

Jones  Rover R Utility

While I didn't want it for this reason, the ability to look at your shots hole by hole on a map is pretty cool. You can also overlay shots from historical rounds to analyze any tenancies. The X40 is definitely pretty cool, with a ton of functionality in an incredibly small package.

299....Nice drive!

Thanks! I should also post my 204 yard drive that I miss hit right to an adjacent fairway! :) As you can see I miss a lot right and left, fortunately my misses were generally with a short distance of being on.

I updated my previous post with more screen shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for the x40 to double up as my running watch. Is this possible?

What functions does a running watch have? The X40 does steps, pace, distance using step count, distance using gps if you turn it on for your run, lap indicator for example buzzes on your wrist for each mile. It will show your route on a map,calories, heart rate, elapsed time and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the x40 for 7 rounds so far. Generally really like it, but have one concern and wonder if anyone else has the same issue. About once per round I get a 15 yard error. It's never been on the same hole twice, so I know it's not a mapping issue. For example last night it was off by 15 yards at 115 and when I arrived at the green it was still off by 12 yards as I stood in the center. Then after we putt out I checked again and it was right on.

Anyone seeing similar?

Just got the x40 last Friday and so far have one 18 hole round and one 9 hole round.

For the most part my experiences agree with the above posts with one major exception. I actually found the ability of the shot tracker to pick up shots quite poor. Didn't do the exact count for the 18 hole round but for the 9 hole round, it only actually registered 11 of 32 full swings (and it did register about half the chips). Only one hole picked up all the full swings and a couple holes had no data collected for any of the full swings. It missed more approach/fairway shots than tee shots. Great for my ego to see 350-400 yard drives but not really all that useful.

So really not impressed at all with the shot tracker functionality. Even if it had gotten all the full swings, not picking up the putts and chips means the yardage info on the approach shots will never really be accurate. Unless they provide away to manually add shots on the course at the correct location, I see this functionality as a bit of a flop.

However, despite that I have no big regrets with the purchase. The GPS works as well and I do like the more advanced scoring stats (# puts, fairways hit and miss direction). I largely upgraded from my S3 more for the fitness functionality than the shot tracker.

BTW - it appears that turning off shot tracker doesn't actually stop it from trying to track shots, it just doesn't prompt you for a club selection during the round.

Turns out after some testing, my particular X40 was defective. Bad gps that would give some periodic wild numbers. For example vibrate or shake it and yardage would occasionally jump by 30-50 yards.

Garmin was very good to deal with on the phone with US based customer support. Sending me a new one with return shipment for defective unit. A new one arrives this week and is hopefully perfect.

What functions does a running watch have? The X40 does steps, pace, distance using step count, distance using gps if you turn it on for your run, lap indicator for example buzzes on your wrist for each mile. It will show your route on a map,calories, heart rate, elapsed time and more.

probably looking for features like pace per mile, current speed, distance ran. does the x40 have these features?

probably looking for features like pace per mile, current speed, distance ran. does the x40 have these features?

If you turn on the gps, definitely displays distance and pace. I don't think it displays current speed. However once the recorded session is uploaded to garmin you can see all that and more on the app and website.