2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I have to come clean... to the GolfWRX Community...

HeadonaStick

Man. That was funny and reminded me so much of myself 5 years ago... I had every damn iron set in the book and just could not hit any worth a damn until I picked up some 2004 big bertha irons. Although shovels in their own rights, they allowed me to hit the ball consistently which is what I needed. That being said, I finally realized that playing irons for 2 weeks or even 2 months was not enough time to get used to them in order to hit the shots you want. Least to say, I only played them for about 4 months and took my HC from a 10 to a 2. I have had the same irons (X-Forged) in the bag for over a year and can honestly say I feel completely comfortable with them and can hit any shot I want with them. That is likely really the reason you play those so well. Give some others more of a chance to make the bag and maybe some others will work. If you have, than I apologize and am well off mark. Just wish someone would have gave me that advice 8 years ago and 175 sets of irons earlier... I dig those irons though. Went through a mizzy phase myself with blades and loved the MP 11s for 2 weeks :rolleyes:

Man. That was funny and reminded me so much of myself 5 years ago... I had every damn iron set in the book and just could not hit any worth a damn until I picked up some 2004 big bertha irons. Although shovels in their own rights, they allowed me to hit the ball consistently which is what I needed. That being said, I finally realized that playing irons for 2 weeks or even 2 months was not enough time to get used to them in order to hit the shots you want. Least to say, I only played them for about 4 months and took my HC from a 10 to a 2. I have had the same irons (X-Forged) in the bag for over a year and can honestly say I feel completely comfortable with them and can hit any shot I want with them. That is likely really the reason you play those so well. Give some others more of a chance to make the bag and maybe some others will work. If you have, than I apologize and am well off mark. Just wish someone would have gave me that advice 8 years ago and 175 sets of irons earlier... I dig those irons though. Went through a mizzy phase myself with blades and loved the MP 11s for 2 weeks :rolleyes:

Well, I almost put that new set of Pings on the BST today, but then I thought that they might need a little more time in the bag. They work almost as well as the Mizzy's - of course they are almost as ugly. It looks like I have a bag full of city bus mirrors. At least they were made in this century.

I'll give them a few more rounds before I go back.

The really, really sad thing is, I kinda miss the ugly sticks on the course. I need help.

That was funny..LOL.. What you can do to spice up the marriage: Put some Scandium shafts in there, some funky colored Lamkins or Iomics, and get the heads refurbished, grooved, and paintfilled.

Do you really think I am going to take these to a shop and to have that stuff done? It'd be like taking a blow-up doll on a date to a fancy restaurant.

I would never take those clubs to a golf shop.

On the other hand, I have taken a blow-up doll on a date to a fancy restaurant.....suffice to say alcohol was involved...

Wait...never mind....I meant I took a date with the IQ of a blow-up doll to a fancy restaurant...but come to think of it, after dinner she kind of moved in a similar......sorry, went off topic......never mind!!

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

The last time I saw a neck bent like that was when my grandpa hit a canadian goose with his pickup.

+1! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: LMAO!

They do mildly resemble early stages of scoliosis... Would still bag some Goldwin AVDPs if I could find a set in great condition. Those things were pure money for me. Just got sick of all the old man jokes since they were graphite shafted and I was only 25 at the time...

• 9 months later...

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388389' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:05 PM'][quote name='birdieputt' post='1388374' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:58 PM']Grips look fresh.[/quote]
Naturally.

Can you imagine if these slipped and hit someone in the melon? The embarrassment in court when they showed pictures of these...
[/quote]
Really? I think you should be in court just for having these alone! What's that charge- oh yeah, [b]PUBLIC INDECENCY[/b]! JK, man. Not about the clubs' ugliness, but don't worry; we've all had clubs like that at some point. Just get phresher versions of those (same model, if they still exist, or a different model that's similar). That way, the ugliness is gone but the performance stays! Yay! :yahoo:

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388383' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:02 PM'][quote name='funkyfedora' post='1388364' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:53 PM']Get them refinished? Those pretty ladies need a make over...[/quote]
1. I don't think a respectable re-finisher would let them in the door,

2. It would be a bit like giving a five dollar hooker a makeover.
[/quote]

This is what you need to do with them:
[attachment=474300:Golf_Clu...ay_Piece.jpg]

Admission is the first step to recovery, lol.

Actually, a spa treatment might be just the penance to consider performing, say over the winter. Start 2010 with a freshened up set of clubs.

Use the analogy that it's not a beat up old 6 cylinder '69 Nova, but rather an SS Nova with a 396 hidden under the hood.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

I am hoping beyond hope to get these out of the bag... I just picked up a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Maybe I can play with the original version of these beasts. They would still be aesthetically challenged, but at least they'd be a little more exotic than these...

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987513' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:09 PM']I am hoping beyond hope to get these out of the bag... I just picked up a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Maybe I can play with the original version of these beasts. They would still be aesthetically challenged, but at least they'd be a little more exotic than these...[/quote]

Hey congratulations!! How soon do we get pictures?

[quote name='forgedforever' post='1987539' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:23 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987513' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:09 PM']I am hoping beyond hope to get these out of the bag... I just picked up a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Maybe I can play with the original version of these beasts. They would still be aesthetically challenged, but at least they'd be a little more exotic than these...[/quote]

[/quote]
I have a new policy on irons - they need to be in the bag for at least 3 rounds before I post pictures! :D

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987544' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:26 PM'][quote name='forgedforever' post='1987539' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:23 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987513' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:09 PM']I am hoping beyond hope to get these out of the bag... I just picked up a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Maybe I can play with the original version of these beasts. They would still be aesthetically challenged, but at least they'd be a little more exotic than these...[/quote]

[/quote]
I have a new policy on irons - they need to be in the bag for at least 3 rounds before I post pictures! :D
[/quote]

Well, that policy makes more sense than some I know! We'll be patient :D

[quote name='forgedforever' post='1987576' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:45 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987544' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:26 PM'][quote name='forgedforever' post='1987539' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:23 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1987513' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:09 PM']I am hoping beyond hope to get these out of the bag... I just picked up a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Maybe I can play with the original version of these beasts. They would still be aesthetically challenged, but at least they'd be a little more exotic than these...[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, that policy makes more sense than some I know! We'll be patient :D
[/quote]
Maybe you're thinking of my putter pictures... I take pictures before they are even out of the box!

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388383' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:02 PM'][quote name='funkyfedora' post='1388364' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:53 PM']Get them refinished? Those pretty ladies need a make over...[/quote]
1. I don't think a respectable re-finisher would let them in the door,

2. It would be a bit like giving a five dollar hooker a makeover.
[/quote]

Hey, I know how to clean those babies up a little. I used to do this with my "actual" Eye 2's :)

You get some sand from a bunker, about a hanful, and take it home and put it in a bowl. Now put about 1/2 cup of water into the sand, and then dip your hand in there and just rub that sand all over your clubheads. They will come out a buffed satin finish and will look like a brand new set of clubs!! Do this and post the pics man!! Do it for your country!!!

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388435' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM'][quote name='texan_golf' post='1388400' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM']I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?[/quote]

I'm not going to discuss the driver - its a modern one, but it is in time out for betraying me again.

[/quote]

I have a mint Mizzy "Tour XP oversized" driver (featuring a steel shaft that is "engineered for extra distance" flex).

Approx 200cc of stainless steel glory, no loft designation and about 3* of hook face I would be willing to part with if you want to complete your collection of fine tour xp clubs?

Sounds like your driver needs a little scare to get it whipped back into shape.

BTW, you should love the becu eye2's I have several sets of eye2s and nothing can knock them out of the bag...

Thanks for the pics, I always wondered that the eye2 copied clubs from back in the day looked like...

Working on a year later, & I think that is one of the best posts I have ever read!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='dieselglen' post='1996771' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:38 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388435' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM'][quote name='texan_golf' post='1388400' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM']I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?[/quote]

I'm not going to discuss the driver - its a modern one, but it is in time out for betraying me again.

[/quote]

I have a mint Mizzy "Tour XP oversized" driver (featuring a steel shaft that is "engineered for extra distance" flex).

Approx 200cc of stainless steel glory, no loft designation and about 3* of hook face I would be willing to part with if you want to complete your collection of fine tour xp clubs?

BTW, you should love the becu eye2's I have several sets of eye2s and nothing can knock them out of the bag...

Thanks for the pics, I always wondered that the eye2 copied clubs from back in the day looked like...
[/quote]
Whoa, hold on there partner, I don't want any more xp goodness in my bag.

The idea is to get the xp's [i]out[/i] of my bag. Putting that driver in my bag would be a little like trying to cure the flu by giving someone the plague. No thanks... besides, I put a pink shaft in my driver and made it sit outside and watch while I tied an old driver to my truck bumper and drug it up and down our street... I like to call it the titanium sparkler torture. Sadly, I think it might need a refinish now.

Anyway, I think I have my new driver pretty much shamed and scared into submission at this point. Putting another driver in the bag would just let it think it is off the hook.

The good news it that the Eye 2's are still in the bag after three rounds. So far, so good...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1998425' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:12 PM'][quote name='dieselglen' post='1996771' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:38 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388435' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM'][quote name='texan_golf' post='1388400' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM']I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The idea is to get the xp's [i]out[/i] of my bag. Putting that driver in my bag would be a little like trying to cure the flu by giving someone the plague. No thanks... besides, I put a pink shaft in my driver and made it sit outside and watch while I tied an old driver to my truck bumper and drug it up and down our street... I like to call it the titanium sparkler torture. Sadly, I think it might need a refinish now.

Anyway, I think I have my new driver pretty much shamed and scared into submission at this point. Putting another driver in the bag would just let it think it is off the hook.

The good news it that the Eye 2's are still in the bag after three rounds. So far, so good...
[/quote]

Ok, are the Eye 2's still in the bag, or are the Mizunos back?

[quote name='Seve424' post='2088890' date='Nov 27 2009, 11:24 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1998425' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:12 PM'][quote name='dieselglen' post='1996771' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:38 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388435' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM'][quote name='texan_golf' post='1388400' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM']I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just shipped the Eye 2's out Wednesday. The Mizunos are in the bag right now, but I have been working with a new set of Cleveland's that show promise...

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='2088894' date='Nov 27 2009, 10:25 PM'][quote name='Seve424' post='2088890' date='Nov 27 2009, 11:24 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1998425' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:12 PM'][quote name='dieselglen' post='1996771' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:38 PM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1388435' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM'][quote name='texan_golf' post='1388400' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM']I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just shipped the Eye 2's out Wednesday. The Mizunos are in the bag right now, but I have been working with a new set of Cleveland's that show promise...
[/quote]

Let me guess......Cleveland VAS? :lol:

Surprised to hear the Pings didn't make the cut. Funny thread. Keep us posted.

Tim

Let me guess......Cleveland VAS? laugh.gif

Surprised to hear the Pings didn't make the cut. Funny thread. Keep us posted.

Tim

The Pings were fine, the problem is a serious head case. Clubs arrived as a set bent to black and my brain doesn't like bent clubs (even though I am sure they all are bent to get to spec). Covered that in another thread. I want to have a go with a different set of Eye 2's in BeCu if I can find them - most beautiful clubs ever... Or get a lobotomy. And still have a go with another set of Eye 2's.

I had a set of CG Golds I played well with (and sold). I found a set of CG Gold (Blacks) and they are working pretty well but I need to rearrange the wedges to get the gaps I want. Might put them into play on Sunday (hey, everybody should be the cash cow for their group once in a while).

I remember reading about that.

I didn't post, but I was one of the seemingly very few that felt that the seller should have IMMEDIATELY accepted a return. Just because HE didn't know what the hell he had doesn't make it OK to drop them on someone else and claim ignorance. You took the bullet on that deal unfairly IMO.

Don't give up on Pings though. They are ugly (although not in the same league as those Mizzys) but are very forgiving and can produce all the shots that a scratch player needs.

Sorry, but I'm betting that those Clevelands won't make it to 2010. :lol:

Tim

[quote name='Tim Delgado' post='2088956' date='Nov 28 2009, 12:03 AM']I remember reading about that.

I didn't post, but I was one of the seemingly very few that felt that the seller should have IMMEDIATELY accepted a return. Just because HE didn't know what the hell he had doesn't make it OK to drop them on someone else and claim ignorance. You took the bullet on that deal unfairly IMO.

Don't give up on Pings though. They are ugly (although not in the same league as those Mizzys) but are very forgiving and can produce all the shots that a scratch player needs.

Sorry, but I'm betting that those Clevelands won't make it to 2010. :lol:

Tim[/quote]
I did take a hit on the resale, but I was very clear as well (and linked to the thread) and probably scared a few buyers away. As long as the bending thing is not an issue, they are great clubs. Someone got a deal. Better that than be viewed as withholding information. As a seller I would have been mortified even had I not known and taken the clubs back no questions asked. So it goes.

Anyway, I need something. I can't stand looking at those Mizunos (nor can I understand how I can play with them). I have very high hopes for the Cleveland's, but I suspect they will be under someone else's Christmas tree...