Apple Watch as GPS?

[quote name='yellolab' timestamp='1430789944' post='11499713']
Tried this out yesterday- it works pretty good.
My only b**** is that 5 times during my follow through the Watch took screenshots- I could hear the shutter, and sure enough there was pics on my phone.
So my bent wrist must be pressing the crown and side button at the same time.
[/quote]

Did you do your best Tiger "Not in my swing" complaint?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What abound the Samsung gear while using golfpad . I can get one cheap and I use a Samsung phone .

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Current user of Pebble and GolfPadGPS. I just use it to see rough yardages (front, middle, back) and scoring. Use my laser for exact pin placement.

Have the Apple Watch on order, not just for golf but for everything else since I rely on the messages, phone calls, notifications just like the Pebble. As long as I can use it for scoring, i will be fine.

I agree with the thought that the Apple Watch is like the first generation iPhone. The future will see many improvements.

I would never recommend that someone purchase an Apple Watch just for golf. There are much cheaper, better options.

However, it is fun to be on the bleeding edge on new toys also.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

Played a twilight round with my Apple watch, using Golf Shot and it was not so great. Like any watch app, it took too long for the app on the watch to update yardages and even navigate around (ex. change holes). GPS yardages were way off too (not a fault of the watch), but not a great experience.

Change is coming
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1127989-grant-the-tanks-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've found hole19 to be a little more responsive, but still too slow to work into a shot routine.

Ideally, I'd find an Apple Watch golf app that could at least let me do stat/score tracking. Essentially, be my Game Golf tracker equivalent where I can just touch the app (or a glance) to say "I hit a shot here" and tap another when I hole out. Just keep score and mark shots for stat tracking later. I can get yardages from my laser much easier and more accurately than the GPS.

I have an Apple Watch and just played my first round using the GolfShot App. I've been using that app on my phone for a few years now and love it. It worked perfectly on my watch. As others have noted, the distance given in the watch is the distance your phone is from the green. Not a problem for me since I keep my phone in my pocket or push cart.
The app really was impressive, not only does it give typical front-center-back distances, but it can show a google image of the green and let you pinpoint an exact location. Pretty cool feature if you ask me.
I still use the app on the phone while playing though, I like the advanced score keeping and the hole flyovers. It's a great app.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried using my iWatch S2 today in the course and came to the conclusion it is only as good as the app. I used the Grint and TheGrint hasn't updated the iWatch app to allow it to use GPS on its own. It still uses the phone so I stopped using it after the first few holes. I was pretty disappointed. I'd like to use a good app or have thGrint update it to allow solo iWatch GPS. Then it'd be great.

I tried using my iWatch S2 today in the course and came to the conclusion it is only as good as the app. I used the Grint and TheGrint hasn't updated the iWatch app to allow it to use GPS on its own. It still uses the phone so I stopped using it after the first few holes. I was pretty disappointed. I'd like to use a good app or have thGrint update it to allow solo iWatch GPS. Then it'd be great.

I don't believe the app can control which GPS is used - from what I understand if the watch can connect to the phone it will use the phone GPS to save battery life on the watch. The watch GPS is only used when it cannot connect to the phone.

The watch connects to the phone using Bluetooth, so you could try switching off bluetooth on your phone and see if the app can still track location. If it can then it'll be using the watch GPS. From what I've read the watch lasts ~5 hours using the watch GPS.

Rogue ST Max LS 9, HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 | Mavrik SZ 15, Evenflow White 75 6.0

P790 UDI, HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0 | X-Blade 909 4-P, Pro 95i Tour S

Miura 54 Tour, 60K, Modus3 125 W | BB8 DASS

That's a good idea but the app does have to know how to use the Watch GPS. Anytime I walked away from my phone far enough to d/c, nothing would show and it would just be blank and then ask me to re sync with my phone. I emailed support about this and they said it's in the works but don't have a time frame for when it'll be released.

I don't believe the app can control which GPS is used - from what I understand if the watch can connect to the phone it will use the phone GPS to save battery life on the watch. The watch GPS is only used when it cannot connect to the phone.

The watch connects to the phone using Bluetooth, so you could try switching off bluetooth on your phone and see if the app can still track location. If it can then it'll be using the watch GPS. From what I've read the watch lasts ~5 hours using the watch GPS.

Apparently this is true. The Ping app on iTunes goes over the need to turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi for its app to use the watches GPS and notes that it is the only workaround as Apple had designed the watch so. In my opinion this is a great mistake on Apples part as the user then does not have the ability to receive notifications, etc. I would think that turning off the phones location services would be the better option for those that want the watch to utilize GPS and also be able to receive notifications.

I bought the AW2 to use as a golf GPS and be able to receive an important notification while on the course. If the watches battery gives up after 4 1/2 hours so be it.

Apparently this is true. The Ping app on iTunes goes over the need to turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi for its app to use the watches GPS and notes that it is the only workaround as Apple had designed the watch so. In my opinion this is a great mistake on Apples part as the user then does not have the ability to receive notifications, etc. I would think that turning off the phones location services would be the better option for those that want the watch to utilize GPS and also be able to receive notifications.

I bought the AW2 to use as a golf GPS and be able to receive an important notification while on the course. If the watches battery gives up after 4 1/2 hours so be it.

I'll try and turn off just the location services on the phone this weekend and see how well it works. Hopefully, they come out with a way we can make this watch into a usable product on the course. Otherwise I might just return it and pick up an S6, hah.

I'll be watching this post as I am really interested to see if someone can develop an app to incorporate the internal GPS on the watch. I own a Gen 1 watch and would upgrade if the golf GPS works well. I would even get rid of my range finder to simplify things. I would imagine it will take some time to get it right. They have been able to develop against the Watch OS3 for a few months but only with the new watch for a couple weeks now.

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with Trackmygolf on the watch. The latest update enables the Series 2 internal GPS, and auto detects swings, tempo, etc.

Sounds promising. Notifications are a huge deal as well

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

My only b**** is that 5 times during my follow through the Watch took screenshots- I could hear the shutter, and sure enough there was pics on my phone.

I had that problem as well. in settings i changed the orientation of the watch and now no pictures.

Just picked up Series 2 and both the Trackmygolf apps (swing analyzer & gps / shot recorder). I'll post a review once i get a couple rounds in this weekend.

I just had a look at their website and watched the intro video. Doesn't look too professional. The golf course they filmed the promo video on looked more like a vegetable patch then a golf course ;-)

When you guys play do you have problems hitting the buttons on the apple watch. I find that after a hole my watch is in a whole different screen due to my wrist hitting the buttons.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

I've found hole19 to be a little more responsive, but still too slow to work into a shot routine.

Ideally, I'd find an Apple Watch golf app that could at least let me do stat/score tracking. Essentially, be my Game Golf tracker equivalent where I can just touch the app (or a glance) to say "I hit a shot here" and tap another when I hole out. Just keep score and mark shots for stat tracking later. I can get yardages from my laser much easier and more accurately than the GPS.

I don't find that hole19 is too slow. I "wake" the watch as I set my bag down and then glance as it comes up. I'd say it's just as fast if not faster than pulling out a laser from the bag, shooting the flag, then putting it away.

I would like the advanced mode also be available on the watch. like you said...tap the watch for "I hit a shot here" and tap again when it's holed like the "next hole" button on the app.

I still like hole19 compared to other apps I've tried. my only issue that I've found is in the rain, some reason it freezes and you have to reload the app on the watch. irritating. not sure if it's an app issue or watch issue.

I had that problem as well. in settings i changed the orientation of the watch and now no pictures.

When you guys play do you have problems hitting the buttons on the apple watch. I find that after a hole my watch is in a whole different screen due to my wrist hitting the buttons.

to clarify, the button's are now on the left side (shoulder side of my wrist) of the watch instead of the right side (fingers side of the wrist)

to clarify, the button's are now on the left side (shoulder side of my wrist) of the watch instead of the right side (fingers side of the wrist)

I tried to do that yesterday and it felt really weird using the buttons like that. Did you get used to it pretty quick?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

I tried to do that yesterday and it felt really weird using the buttons like that. Did you get used to it pretty quick?

i honestly don't remember how it felt the other way. it's pretty natural now and took a few hours to get used to it. besides, i don't use the buttons too often.

I don't have any issues with the wrist pushing buttons. I usually wear the watch higher up on my wrist when playing, than I do when I'm just wearing it normally. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes my glove will touch the screen and move something. It's weird, but never an issue.

That app looks pretty cool. I can't wait to hear your review Fiveten03. I might check this app out this weekend myself.

Took the series 2 out yesterday for few holes with hole19, and it was great with the yardages.

The only issue is I had to select the hole. Unless I was not using correctly 🙊
But strokes and yardages all clear and accurate to the neo ghost.

Swipe from right to left. It should change to a screen with two + and - which is for score and putts. Swipe again from right to left and it should be for your tee shot and if you hit it left/middle/right or other. Swipe right to left again and it should be your score and "next hole". No selecting holes.

I've got my Apple Watch 2 yesterday and are now looking at apps to replace my Skycaddie Linx watch.

I've got Golfshot (bought it when it first came out) but I don't have the 'Pro' features which would give me front and back distances (and I don't fancy paying for that when I already have that for free with my Skycaddie Linx)

So I am looking for an app that only does the GPS (maybe swing tempo as a plus) but no mandatory score tracking etc as I am already using Gamegolf (classic) for that.

Does Hole19 offer distances to near/centre/far or only front/center/back (difference is the later is to fixed points while the former is dependent on from where you approach the green)?

Are there any other good apps for golf? Has anyone tried the Ping app. I have seen that it now has a mode for the apple watch. Does it give you speed and rhythm? It would be cool to have instance feedback on putting tempo and rhythm without having to strap my SkyPro to my putter every time.

I will gladly buy an apple watch if the hardware and an app are available to do the following:

- Distance to Hazards

- Front/Middle/Back

- Can work separate from the phone, and not piggy back the phone's gps

- Free app or low cost 1 time purchase

Hopefully somebody on here can find an app like this and pass it along to us WRXers

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H