Coach's WITB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man o man you have been hitting the deals lately! That See More is one heck of a deal for $55

Edit; Was looking and this is an old thread I have done some changes since I originally posted. Went back to my "roots" so to speak and rebuilt my old Macgregor VIPs and put them back in the bag. I hit those long irons so good but the one fairway metal I carry now is still a V-Steel

It was unexpected, for sure. Those VIPs are great sticks too! Is it the infamous 9 wood? My 4W is my adults Teddy Bear...

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Looking pretty sweet naked after cleaning. I haven't removed the paint fill from the name or ISI because it's a tell-tale sign of the BeNi irons...yet.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Man o man you have been hitting the deals lately! That See More is one heck of a deal for $55

Edit; Was looking and this is an old thread I have done some changes since I originally posted. Went back to my "roots" so to speak and rebuilt my old Macgregor VIPs and put them back in the bag. I hit those long irons so good but the one fairway metal I carry now is still a V-Steel

It was unexpected, for sure. Those VIPs are great sticks too! Is it the infamous 9 wood? My 4W is my adults Teddy Bear...

It was the 5 wood 18* but I put my "Ugly Duckling" Adams Tight Lies 18* in today for some reason I hit the old ugly thing good and yes I still have the infamous 9 wood and the infamous 7 wood for when my long iron game goes to crap again. My V-Steels will not go any where as long as I breath. I am a little longer with the Adams but I am working on the V-Steel some all along tuning it in. Those Pings of yours look good especially in that battle worn bag they are screaming "player"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

OK. Done with cleaning these beauties, and adding a little custom look to them. I kinda guessed on the colors, but they turned out pretty cool. What you think?

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

They cleaned up good and the paint fill looks good too. I have no idea what stock paint fill looks like on those.

They cleaned up good and the paint fill looks good too. I have no idea what stock paint fill looks like on those.

It's the yellow/gold that I left on the ISI and the G in Ping. They were everything I'd hoped at the range this morning. I'm no blade player like yourself, but I can control these VERY well. I can flight them and draw/fade them. And I'd forgotten how good the SW was in this line.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Bagged them for today's round...and shot 1-under! I drove the ball very well, and had one of my better ball-striking rounds in awhile. The yardage difference took a bit to dial in, but that didn't take long. Putter let me down a bit, but I can just drop the Sizemore back in. The hybrid wasn't effective...possibly a bag fight with 20 year old irons sitting next to them. The Ping ISI BeNi irons are still the real deal. The heavier TTDG shafts are a perfect pairing (for me). Shot of the day was a 240 yard approach hit with the V-Steel. That skin was a big pay-out.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

So I'm set the rest of the season here. The Sizemore is better than the Redwood. The ISI S2 is better than the Vokey.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been a bit since an update, so here it is:

In my endless quest for good golf deals, I came across a barn find...these...as in "sitting in the corner of a barn with mud robber nests and rust starting to form" and everything...but never hit. A full set of Adams IDEA Pro Black CB1's with Project X Flighted Shafts. They cast me nothing except the Lamkin 3-gen grips I put on them. They are awesome.

The V-Steel will have to break to be replaced. I am proud member of that Band of Brothers. No FW is more versatile or consistent.

Hybrid is still the Adams Pro VST Prototype...not sure why it was never mass produced.

That's it for now...

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Man you done darn good on the "barn find" with the Adams irons. I have a friend of mine who was a former tour player who got a set of those new and still plays them. In fact he was instrumental in me switching to my almost blade 2013 Callys from my old blades. I was actually looking for a set of those when I did a trade deal on the Callys. Yep my kind of cheap find. In all my looking around I have never found a V-Steel 4 wood. I have a 3 5 7 and 9 V Steels but am not gaming them now on the front line but I will never get rid of them. I did go to the Adams Super S 3 and 5 woods which have that slot thing like your hybrid does and do really well for me.

EDIT: LOL personally I would have left the rust on them which as you know is right up my alley but like you I would have changed the rotted grips. I can not stand a rotten or slick grip especially a Winn with the gooey tar stuff coming off. LOL again I can not stand any Winn grip period even new

Great to hear from you Stu,

I was shocked to see them sitting there too. I wasn't even looking for clubs...I was looking at an old smoker!

They are very good sticks, however. I don't know if I even need them. Those BeNi ISI things are unbelievable. The CB1's are sexy at setup, have great turf interaction for me, and are very point-and-shoot-ish. I will prolly look at sending them to you if you want sometime.

The 4 wood is so good that I don't even look at new fairway sticks. I pretty much hit it the same distance every time...so why switch?

I have hit those Cally's myself, and loved them. Just couldn't find them at the right deal!

I've been a HS teacher and basketball coach for awhile, but this year I became the varsity golf coach as well. Talk about a dream job! I made 2 standing rules: 1 - no Happy Gilmore swings. 2 - no Winn Grips...I have always hated them.

Hope all is well.

Man you done darn good on the "barn find" with the Adams irons. I have a friend of mine who was a former tour player who got a set of those new and still plays them. In fact he was instrumental in me switching to my almost blade 2013 Callys from my old blades. I was actually looking for a set of those when I did a trade deal on the Callys. Yep my kind of cheap find. In all my looking around I have never found a V-Steel 4 wood. I have a 3 5 7 and 9 V Steels but am not gaming them now on the front line but I will never get rid of them. I did go to the Adams Super S 3 and 5 woods which have that slot thing like your hybrid does and do really well for me.

EDIT: LOL personally I would have left the rust on them which as you know is right up my alley but like you I would have changed the rotted grips. I can not stand a rotten or slick grip especially a Winn with the gooey tar stuff coming off. LOL again I can not stand any Winn grip period even new

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Congrats on your promotion on the head golf coach. I am glad there are folks like you with the talent to teach the game. I never was instructor material as far as the golf swing even when I was a class A pro. Equipment tinkering was always my thing. Yep I like your rules especially the last one. I actually refuse to install a Winn grip period for any one. I hate pulling one off of an old club because they are so nasty.

• 2 months later...

Love the setup Jay! Did you remove the yellow paint on the sole of the VST or did yours come like that?

Taylormade SLDR (12*) Fujikura Atmos  

Taylormade SLDR (17*||21*) Matrix Ozik HD7

Adams Idea Pro A12 (23*|26*) Aldila Rip'd VS Proto

Mizuno MP-53 (6-PW) MCA Diamana Thump 

Whitlam Forged (52*|58*) KBS Tour

YES! Donna

• 4 months later...

Just saw this after a WRX hiatus. It is a prototype that came that way. Great stick!

Love the setup Jay! Did you remove the yellow paint on the sole of the VST or did yours come like that?

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Just saw this after a WRX hiatus. It is a prototype that came that way. Great stick!

Wondered where you were at??? I figured you were busy coaching---- My signature equipment wise has changed some since you have been away

Wondered where you were at??? I figured you were busy coaching---- My signature equipment wise has changed some since you have been away

I will slide over and check it out. Mine has too!!!

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Why do we seem to figure out our bags when it is near the end of the season? Who knows. My bag has had a lot of turnover. And I have never played better. Here it is:

Hold-overs are the BioCell (shafted either with a Black Tie or a Red Tie), the TM V-Steel, and the Odyssey Milled V-Line Fang

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

And now the changes:

Out: Adams VST Prototype hybrid

In: My old 910h with the ‘ahina shaft. It just fits me better. It is better from the tee than the Adams was. I keep it set to 3 iron-like distance/trajectory

Purple pic is that Purple Ice shaft a few of you have asked me about. The V-Steel 4 wood is my blankie...

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Out: BOTH the Adams pro Blacks & the Ping Zings. Not because I hated them. The Zings will always be mine. I just finally found something that justifies pulling the trigger.

In: a minty set of Adams XTD Forged irons shafted with Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115’s!!! 5-PW. I’ve always wanted to game a set of graphite’s, but I also didn’t want to spend a ton on proper graphite shafts. These shafts are somehow straighter and more consistent than my loved S300’s or JZ Stiffs. The flex is almost identical to the S300’s, and I love the weight. I did add some lead stickers to get them to D2 swingweight. The heads are well know on WRX. And now I have tremendously consistent yardage gaps from 5iron down.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Out: All of the wedges.

In: a mint Nike Vr Forged 52-10 (standard) that has been bent to 50. I had an S400 dropped in it because it seems to flow with the RIP Tour graphite in my XTD’s. Cost — $ 24.99

I also bough 2 “new” Jaws wedges in a 56 (bent to 54), and a 58. I should say “re-bought” though, because I am actually coming back to theses. Both are C-grind, and I never should have gotten rid of the 1st ones. For me, they are a perfect combo of trajectory and versatility. I did put TTDGS400’s in them as well. Cost — &10 each ( I had the shafts).

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

I see you got you one of those little snazzy Titleist bags too with the grab handle. I have not posted any recent photos of my WITB. I am having computer issues between the phone and computer. But my signature at the end of my posts is current for now--- And I know shocker shocker shocker I have switched from my beloved old 588s to Callaway wedges too

I see you got you one of those little snazzy Titleist bags too with the grab handle. I have not posted any recent photos of my WITB. I am having computer issues between the phone and computer. But my signature at the end of my posts is current for now--- And I know shocker shocker shocker I have switched from my beloved old 588s to Callaway wedges too

I certainly did! It’s a rare BX-88 that a buddy in the army brought back from Japan for me. The handle rolls...makes it easier to put in and out of a trunk. I went back to a 4way divider because the Grom and 13 divider bags I used made everything clang around too much. You commented at 2:42am??? Dang Stu!

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

I certainly did! It's a rare BX-88 that a buddy in the army brought back from Japan for me. The handle rolls...makes it easier to put in and out of a trunk. I went back to a 4way divider because the Grom and 13 divider bags I used made everything clang around too much. You commented at 2:42am??? Dang Stu!

Actually 3:42 EST-- Yep I am up early every morning weekends too--- I usually leave the yard at work at 4:30 Mon thru Friday but I am usually in bed by 7:00 at the latest

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up at Edwin Watts today...Black Series i #9...for $29.99. It is a steal. And, IMO, the best #9 Odyssey made. My first one was stolen. I missed it. So I’m happy that I found one in his condition!

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

• 3 months later...

Huge bag update for me. Golf season starts tomorrow, and I will be coaching 12 HS guys this year. It's gonna be fun! Anyways. Here are the pics!

Shot of the new bag.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

No head covers...

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection RSX V-Line Fang

34 inches

Wing sight lines blacked out

Larkin SINK RND-11 Grip (that I love)

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska