Why No Love for the 716 MBs?

jsixman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, muscle back design irons are now frowned upon by the majority of hacks and top players a like.
I played Wednesday with a 21 year old club pro. who had always played muscle back irons, most recently the 714 MB's. Wednesday he showed up with a brand new set of 716 AP2's. I asked him why he made the switch and he said the Titleist rep for his golf course recommended the AP2's, that "it's what the Titelist Tour staff players like".. He played o.k. Wednesday , not quite as well as he usually does, and when I asked him about the new irons he replied "it will take some time to get used to looking at the big heads".
If a consumer is looking at a set of MB's at a golf store chances are good the floor sales rep will tell him "you are dreaming, Jordan Spieth plays AP' 2's and there is no reason for anybody to play MB's".
It truly is sad that the golf industry is pushing players away from traditional sized irons and into over sized models. My guess is that if 75% of the guys playing AP2's right now (low and higher handicaps a like) played a few rounds with Titleist MB's or CB's they would strike better shots and enjoy their game more.
20,30 years ago , when MB's were significantly smaller than today's MB's, the only irons even higher caps especially struggle with were 2 and 3 irons, and those are gone for good now. A 4-PW set of today's Titleist MB's or CB's, plus a couple of new hybrids, is suitable for any skill level player, and a better choice than the currently popular chunky over sized AP2 style irons.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='square' timestamp='1447442623' post='12595118']
Sadly, muscle back design irons are now frowned upon by the majority of hacks and top players a like.
I played Wednesday with a 21 year old club pro. who had always played muscle back irons, most recently the 714 MB's. Wednesday he showed up with a brand new set of 716 AP2's. I asked him why he made the switch and he said the Titleist rep for his golf course recommended the AP2's, that "it's what the Titelist Tour staff players like".. He played o.k. Wednesday , not quite as well as he usually does, and when I asked him about the new irons he replied "it will take some time to get used to looking at the big heads".
If a consumer is looking at a set of MB's at a golf store chances are good the floor sales rep will tell him "you are dreaming, Jordan Spieth plays AP' 2's and there is no reason for anybody to play MB's".
It truly is sad that the golf industry is pushing players away from traditional sized irons and into over sized models. My guess is that if 75% of the guys playing AP2's right now (low and higher handicaps a like) played a few rounds with Titleist MB's or CB's they would strike better shots and enjoy their game more.
20,30 years ago , when MB's were significantly smaller than today's MB's, the only irons even higher caps especially struggle with were 2 and 3 irons, and those are gone for good now. A 4-PW set of today's Titleist MB's or CB's, plus a couple of new hybrids, is suitable for any skill level player, and a better choice than the currently popular chunky over sized AP2 style irons.
[/quote]

Is this post serious?

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='jlukes' timestamp='1447442950' post='12595142']
[/quote]

Is this post serious?
[/quote]

What do you mean is this post serious? Please share with us your thoughts.

M1 460, Shaft TBD
Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110

So anything more the a MB is simply a sham contrived by the golf companies? We would all be better golfers with MBs, including the guys that have their livelihood depend on their game - and they choose inferior, non MB irons?

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

I love the look of them.... I have always played blades (mp29 long and mp14 short irons), so it is merely a disdain of offset for me. It's purely mental/visual. I love ping clubs but the offset changes my swing (rather I change my swing when I play them). I am looking to replace my Cleveland Cg tours (4,6,8 irons) and these are on my short list to hit.

I think the greatest yield to technological gains come from CB/player cavities/gi irons. That being said, a lot of higher handicap players play non tour style golf balls. Titleist did a study that shows that everyone gains from the advanced tech in the pro v1 line. I think it's another case of playing the most forgiving iron you can stand to look at.... If it's a g30 then so be it, if it's the mb then you may not get the benefit of the added tech.

Imo, I think the mb will always have a place in golf. The craze for the cbs is overshadowing the mbs for now. That's all.

No doubt that club companies push new innovations to sell clubs. The reality is that blades have changed very little over the years in terms of tech. That results in minimal chance for revenue growth in the blade category. Of course the companies want us buying new clubs more regularly. Feedback provides learning and improves ball striking. The reality is all players would benefit by hitting clubs with more feedback as it would improve their ball striking. Of course, you have to weigh that with forgiveness on the course. Not to really debate blades vs. game improvement, but I think that most peoples swings would improve by hitting blades. That does not mean they should play them on the course. Tour players hit the ball in the middle of the club and any of them could play blades. They choose not to because of large club contracts, perceived benefits from CBs or other irons, or any other reason to make more money.

My only point would be that I think the innovation is great and does help us as golfers, but I think if you had anyone hit blades for a period of time it would improve their ball striking.

M1 460, Shaft TBD

[quote name='Switch' timestamp='1447447633' post='12595500'] Tour players hit the ball in the middle of the club and any of them could play blades. They choose not to because of large club contracts, perceived benefits from CBs or other irons, or any other reason to make more money.

[/quote]

Wow - tour players sell out to not play blades rather than playing blades playing better/winning more?

Do you understand how insane that sounds?

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='jlukes' timestamp='1447447912' post='12595522']
[quote name='Switch' timestamp='1447447633' post='12595500'] Tour players hit the ball in the middle of the club and any of them could play blades. They choose not to because of large club contracts, perceived benefits from CBs or other irons, or any other reason to make more money.

[/quote]

Wow - tour players sell out to not play blades rather than playing blades playing better/winning more?

Do you understand how insane that sounds?
[/quote]

IMO, Tour players will play with whatever makes them more money. That includes winning tournaments. Feel free to state your opinions, I enjoy that aspect of Golf WRX. Do me a favor, please refrain from attacking me as a person. Not sure if you are actually implying I am insane. I am sure you opinion is worth hearing and as valid as mine. I have no interest in attacking anyone including you. I was merely asking why you posted your initial reply because I wanted to hear really why you posted what you did. Please do so, or not. This will be my last post in this thread, but I look forward to reading others. Thanks.

M1 460, Shaft TBD

[quote name='jlukes' timestamp='1447446578' post='12595424']
So anything more the a MB is simply a sham contrived by the golf companies? We would all be better golfers with MBs, including the guys that have their livelihood depend on their game - and they choose inferior, non MB irons?
[/quote]

MB's are fine. I like to play with CB's. The point is that traditional size irons, either MB or CB, is the way to go. The over sized irons are too clunky and not good for sloped, grassy, hard pan, or other less than ideal lies.

[/quote]

LMAO... you can't be serious? Are you? Do you even play golf???

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[/quote]

Play whatever you want pal but don't tell anyone else what is right or wrong. You've been around this site long enough to know that when you make a post like this it leads to yet another blades vs GI arguement that everyone is sick of. We just need the two engineer nerds from the other thread and we are all set for another full blown dumpster fire. The OP wanted some feedback regarding the new MB's not some guy who thinks his opinion matters more than everyone else's.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1447450552' post='12595678']
[/quote]

Play whatever you want pal but don't tell anyone else what is right or wrong. You've been around this site long enough to know that when you make a post like this it leads to yet another blades vs GI arguement that everyone is sick of. We just need the two engineer nerds from the other thread and we are all set for another full blown dumpster fire. The OP wanted some feedback regarding the new MB's not some guy who thinks his opinion matters more than everyone else's.
[/quote]

Why is it that one hundred posts praising the merits of large GI irons is perfectly fine, but one post against the large heads is forbidden?
Remember, a forum is a place to exchange a variety of perspectives . Hope this helps.

I might say this just because I just got fit, but I would never go Titleist MB over Mizuno MP 5.1) MP5 you get upgraded shafts at no additional charge 2) You get upgraded grips (I got the brand new Multi Compound) for no upcharge. 3) They look at least as good or better 4) They feel better.

I went 7-PW MP5 and 4-6 MP 25. So excited.

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

I tried the 716 mb's. I think they have replaced my mp 4 as the best looking mb on the market. The performance is equal, however the mizunos feel better to me. I'd love to have a set 5-p with TMB 3 and 4 irons, but can't justify the cost. They are definitely the best Titleist mb's since the 681's.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

[quote name='jsixman' timestamp='1447437278' post='12594818']
Everybody is talking about how much they love the T-MB and the CBs, with minimal talk about the AP2s or MBs. (716 line) I hit the ap2 716 and think they are tough to beat, but have played blades in the past and thought about doing the 716 MBs. Anybody have a set up with these and what's the feedback?
[/quote]

I love the 716 MBs and will be getting a set. They have beaten out CBs and AP2 every time on simulator and out dor range. Now the MP5 are the issue. They perform a bit better and feel better but I just like looking at MBs more. Especially 716 MB PW vs MP5 PW

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S 

I'm with you on this. Performance wise I don't know but the MP5 does feel better.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I'll be getting a set eventually. I don't think there is much talk about them because they are the most "what you see is what you get" of the 716 release. There's not much to talk about as there really isn't any technological advanced. You can sum them up with:
Higher muscle, pre worn leading edge, modern 680 MB, chrome/satin finish, look great. There's nothing else to say because they're the same old Titleist MB, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Titleist TSR2 10* Ventus Black 6X
Ping 430 LST 15* Ventus Black 7X

Ping G430 Max 5w ADIZ 8X 
Titleist U500 4 DG TI X100
Titleist T100 5-Pw DG TI S400
Titleist SM9 Raw 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04T DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X7
WITB

I don't know what it is but I haven't found one mizuno iron that I like and hit well. The MP-5s are sick looking but not as good to look down on IMO. Maybe it's a mental thing. Has anyone compared to the 714 MB? I hit those for a bit with a CB combo, and would have just preferred a full MB set. They were pretty damn good.

[quote name='Luke7' timestamp='1447477819' post='12597344']
I'll be getting a set eventually. I don't think there is much talk about them because they are the most "what you see is what you get" of the 716 release. There's not much to talk about as there really isn't any technological advanced. You can sum them up with:
Higher muscle, pre worn leading edge, modern 680 MB, chrome/satin finish, look great. There's nothing else to say because they're the same old Titleist MB, which isn't a bad thing at all.
[/quote]
[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1447459135' post='12596234']
I think there are a lot of love for 716MB. They're just a scratch/low handicapper who are too busy spending times on the range and chipping area grinding their games; instead of spending times here responding to comments and such.
[/quote]
[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1447459370' post='12596252']
I might say this just because I just got fit, but I would never go Titleist MB over Mizuno MP 5.1) MP5 you get upgraded shafts at no additional charge 2) You get upgraded grips (I got the brand new Multi Compound) for no upcharge. 3) They look at least as good or better 4) They feel better.

I went 7-PW MP5 and 4-6 MP 25. So excited.
[/quote]

I think those 3 responses really sum it up. I think a larger number of GI players will be inclined to speak on their clubs. That's natural. But also, there's very little advancement to be made and they aren't the most popular option amongst GolfWRX users. Mizuno seems to be a bit more popular, at least amongst the folks who speak up.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I've hit the 714 MB vs the 716 MB on indoor simulator. 3 times I walked away thinking 716. Once I was convinced 714. So there is probably very little difference. 716 feel abit better to me and pre worn sole is nice

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S