If you hit your 3 wood over 300 yards

jafstar

I can't remember who it was, but one of the guys on this forum was saying that a lot of guys "Pigeon Hole" themselves by limiting their options for hitting off the tee. He said it's good to have several options for your tee shot. I thought those were interesting statements.

So no, I wouldn't take the driver out of the bag. Keep in around and use it. Use the 3 wood for shorter holes and tighter fairways.

I not one the one who posted it, but I agree. Certainly for long hitters. I am WRX long and have options off the tee.

Driver- Fairway Finder 285-295 carry (mid launching cut), Bomb.com 300-310 carry (High, Low spin Fade). I will use the Bomb.com once every 5 rounds, not necessary on the course I play.

3 wood: Mid Cut 275-285 carry, Stinger 255-260 carry

Hybrid: Tower 230 carry, Mid Fade 245-255 carry, Stinger 225-235 carry

3 iron: Stinger 215-220 carry, Twirl It 230-240 carry

I am not Dustin Johnson with my full swing wedges (will be working on this during the off season), so I'd rather have my 7-Pw in than have to fell a wedge shot.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I don't fit the hypo, but I think it really applies to almost anyone when deciding on distance vs. accuracy. For me it's because I'm always chasing more distance to increase my scoring opportunities. I played a horrible round on Saturday. Hit 2 of 10 fairways with the driver, but one of the good ones was measured at 310 and had me putting for eagle on a par 5. That one came early in the round and I guess I couldn't let go and just kept pounding driver into left rough or ob. I played my 17* hybrid on the other 4 holes and never missed a fairway (didn't carry my 3 wood that day). Distances were 251, 255, 261 and 280 with the hybrid. In hindsight it's easy to see which club I should have been using.

I don't fit the hypo, but I think it really applies to almost anyone when deciding on distance vs. accuracy. For me it's because I'm always chasing more distance to increase my scoring opportunities. I played a horrible round on Saturday. Hit 2 of 10 fairways with the driver, but one of the good ones was measured at 310 and had me putting for eagle on a par 5. That one came early in the round and I guess I couldn't let go and just kept pounding driver into left rough or ob. I played my 17* hybrid on the other 4 holes and never missed a fairway (didn't carry my 3 wood that day). Distances were 251, 255, 261 and 280 with the hybrid. In hindsight it's easy to see which club I should have been using.

Just out of interest. What is your handicap?

My guess would be course management.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

It's kind of interesting that no one so far has said yes to throwing the driver out of the bag.

For some reason it seems as if humans including myself, like to use as big of an object as possible, if no other reason but the gratification of smashing two objects together.

What is it about hitting driver that the 3 wood just cant satisfy? The sound? The feedback? The look? The idea?

It's kind of interesting that no one so far has said yes to throwing the driver out of the bag.

For some reason it seems as if humans including myself, like to use as big of an object as possible, if no other reason but the gratification of smashing two objects together.

What is it about hitting driver that the 3 wood just cant satisfy? The sound? The feedback? The look? The idea?

I think it has more to do w/ the perceived loss in yardage. The driver is the only club in the bag that doesn't seem to have a yardage limit on it. Everyone knows a PW can only go 140 yards, a 6 iron tops out at 200 yards, and so on - but a driver never truly tops out for anyone. So everyone is always chasing more yards w/ the big stick. A 3 wood tops out at 300 yards for us mere mortals - but a driver, when caught absolutely perfectly, can give unknown amounts of distance to anyone. I guess people figure if they can hit a 3-wood 300, imagine what that driver could do if they ever hit it solid.

Personally, I'd take 280 in the fairway over 310 in the rough any day.

The extra yardage; that's what it's there for. When it's the prudent play, it makes sense to have a driver in the bag that will get you 2 clubs closer.

The issue with a player that long is that there are courses where they really can't hit driver. But on courses where they can, why not take advantage of that length?

I can't remember who it was, but one of the guys on this forum was saying that a lot of guys "Pigeon Hole" themselves by limiting their options for hitting off the tee. He said it's good to have several options for your tee shot. I thought those were interesting statements.

So no, I wouldn't take the driver out of the bag. Keep in around and use it. Use the 3 wood for shorter holes and tighter fairways.

I not one the one who posted it, but I agree. Certainly for long hitters. I am WRX long and have options off the tee.

Driver- Fairway Finder 285-295 carry (mid launching cut), Bomb.com 300-310 carry (High, Low spin Fade). I will use the Bomb.com once every 5 rounds, not necessary on the course I play.

3 wood: Mid Cut 275-285 carry, Stinger 255-260 carry

Hybrid: Tower 230 carry, Mid Fade 245-255 carry, Stinger 225-235 carry

3 iron: Stinger 215-220 carry, Twirl It 230-240 carry

I am not Dustin Johnson with my full swing wedges (will be working on this during the off season), so I'd rather have my 7-Pw in than have to fell a wedge shot.

cool story

I can hit my 3 wood 300 yards. But that's not something that I can do consistently. A lot of the time it's in the 240 - 260 range.

I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who can also hit their 3 wood 300 yards, but that's not something they can do time and time again. You can't max that club out every single time you step up to the box. You're going to come up short of that 300 yards quite often and not just by 10 or 20 yards. I imagine that with the driver you would be able to knock it out there at a greater distance than the 3 wood most of the time.

And then there's wind. The 3 wood is typically a higher trajectory shot than the driver. In a heavy cross wind or strong wind in your face, the 3 wood might not be the best choice.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

If I loft down my 3 wood to about 10.5 (ideally 9), with about a 44.25" shaft, I can knock it out there 300 yards.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I can hit my 3 wood 300 yards. But that's not something that I can do consistently. A lot of the time it's in the 240 - 260 range.

I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who can also hit their 3 wood 300 yards, but that's not something they can do time and time again. You can't max that club out every single time you step up to the box. You're going to come up short of that 300 yards quite often and not just by 10 or 20 yards. I imagine that with the driver you would be able to knock it out there at a greater distance than the 3 wood most of the time.

And then there's wind. The 3 wood is typically a higher trajectory shot than the driver. In a heavy cross wind or strong wind in your face, the 3 wood might not be the best choice.

down a runway maybe

down a runway maybe

David Simms gonna teach ya'll a little lesson with the 7 iron.

My guess would be course management.

Haha. Your guess is right. I only play a couple times a month and don't carry a handicap, but I can shoot anything from 75 to 90 playing everything down and up and in from around 6500-6800 yards. Last four rounds were 77, 77, 83 and 86. I'd guess I'm like an 8 or thereabouts?

But getting back to your point, I played a round with my Dad last year where he told me what club to pull and how to hit just about every shot and I posted a 73 that would have been a 71 if not for spinning one off the green into the water on the 17th hole. Ultimately, I can't help myself and go for the risky play in almost every situation. I have a very hard time accepting my limitations and playing away from my weaknesses.

I was about 20 years old when I switched to playing right-handed (used to play lefty). I had a friend that was a plus handicap and had play division 1 golf. He told me that golfers would score better if they used a club off the tee appropriate to their handicap:

20+ Handicap: 5 wood

15-20: 4 wood

10-15: 3 wood

5-10: 2 wood

<5: driver

I followed that advice and I firmly believe it made my journey to a low single digit handicap MUCH faster than it otherwise would have been.

This has the be near the top of the craziest post on WRX. For the 8 or so guys that think they know someone or said they can, or said they can hit a 17 deg hybrid 270+ you are ridiculous. How many PGA pros can hit 300 yard 3 woods, only a handful on dried out courses.

Are you thinking a dogleg 400 yard hole where you cut the corner and shave off 40+ yards constitutes that as true distance counts?

I would say less than 5 people that have EVER read this forum have hit a true 300 yard 3 wood unaided. Please!

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage and most good players hit the ball incredibly high. The simple answer is the guys out here who are really good will play a 3 wood around 300 and a Driver somewhere between 330-360. We play a lot of stretched courses where the driver is a huge advantage. Out here this isn't that uncommon. I play a 16.5 R15 four wood that I carry 290 off a tee and play with guys who are longer than me.

Long story short, they just hit the piss out of their driver and the good ones hit it really straight too!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage and most good players hit the ball incredibly high. The simple answer is the guys out here who are really good will play a 3 wood around 300 and a Driver somewhere between 330-360. We play a lot of stretched courses where the driver is a huge advantage. Out here this isn't that uncommon. I play a 16.5 R15 four wood that I carry 290 off a tee and play with guys who are longer than me.

Long story short, they just hit the piss out of their driver and the good ones hit it really straight too!

I play in Colorado too, and no one I play with can carry 3 wood 270. Unaided I'll take EVERY bet that their three wood doesn't go 300. Not down 40', not down wind 30mph, even with firm FWs.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I play in Colorado too, and no one I play with can carry 3 wood 270. Unaided I'll take EVERY bet that their three wood doesn't go 300. Not down 40', not down wind 30mph, even with firm FWs.

Do you play with any of the college or mini tour guys? I'm not going to get in a big between the legs match but it's unbelievable how far these guys hit it.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Do you play with any of the college or mini tour guys? I'm not going to get in a big between the legs match but it's unbelievable how far these guys hit it.

No I don't surround myself with professional athletes but when you say many people hit it over 300 with a three wood. It doesn't happen. I play pretty well, my brother was first team all American and 20+ yards longer than me. We play in Louisiana with no altitude and he hits it 270 (2wood). I play in CO with locals and almost none of them are longer than me. And I can't sniff 270. I routinely drive a par 4 in CO from the tee box with three wood, but it's aided and a big dogleg, and only 300yards and very firm. I would never say I hit it 300 yards. I hit it 250-260. I play many 3 woods off the tee for positioning and yardages. I've recently played qualifiers with college golfers, and only a few hit it longer than me. Let's just end it with this. There might be 10 guys on the PGA tour with their tour card that can hit a 3 wood that far. That represents the best professional golf tour on the planet on the best surfaces to play on.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

This has the be near the top of the craziest post on WRX. For the 8 or so guys that think they know someone or said they can, or said they can hit a 17 deg hybrid 270+ you are ridiculous. How many PGA pros can hit 300 yard 3 woods, only a handful on dried out courses.

Are you thinking a dogleg 400 yard hole where you cut the corner and shave off 40+ yards constitutes that as true distance counts?

I would say less than 5 people that have EVER read this forum have hit a true 300 yard 3 wood unaided. Please!

At my local driving range, the furthest pin is 251 yards away by Bushnell V4. About 15 yards beyond that is a dirt hill. A few times, I have hit my 15* TM into that dirt hill on the fly. I can see the dirt splash when it hits. So yes, there are going to be times where I carry that club over 260 and it's going to roll near 300.

Of course, when that happens on the golf course it's going to be under special conditions. I don't need massive tail wind, a super dry fairway or a huge drop-off to make it happen either. It just has to favor me a little bit in some way.

If you put me with that club on a flat driving range with no wind, I doubt that I could get it to roll out to 300. I could probably come close though.

I also have a 17* Wilson. At that same range, the furthest bunker is 240 yards to the middle of it. I can carry over that bunker with that club. With roll, 270 is probably doable. But that's not something that's going to happen all the time. There's gonna be times where I get it out to only 230 ish.

So yes, there certainly are guys, a lot of guys, who can hit their woods 300 yards and further.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Not sure how many people on this forum are saying they do (didn't count). Like I said, though, I just caddied for a guy who carried his 3-wood 295 yards at the Cal State Open at my (our) home course. Lasered the pin at 297. He flew the ball two paces short of the pin and stopped it 8 to 10 paces behind it. Total distance was 305 or so. Made the eagle putt, too. With firm greens, it would have been 315 or more, but this time of year in the SoCal heat, you have to drench poa annua greens to the point that they will suck up anything.

He tops out at 187 ball speed confirmed at The Kingdom. Temperature was 105 degrees. Calm day. You are welcome to come to Southern California any time and I'd be happy to have him demonstrate

The previous week in a practice round, he drove our 13th hole pin high to the middle of the green, and the green is elevated from the fairway. I lasered the pin at 335, and he flew diver 325 into the slope and bounced it up to 15 feet. The kid can move it.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"