2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

If you hit your 3 wood over 300 yards

jafstar

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage and most good players hit the ball incredibly high. The simple answer is the guys out here who are really good will play a 3 wood around 300 and a Driver somewhere between 330-360. We play a lot of stretched courses where the driver is a huge advantage. Out here this isn't that uncommon. I play a 16.5 R15 four wood that I carry 290 off a tee and play with guys who are longer than me.

Long story short, they just hit the piss out of their driver and the good ones hit it really straight too!

I play in Colorado too, and no one I play with can carry 3 wood 270. Unaided I'll take EVERY bet that their three wood doesn't go 300. Not down 40', not down wind 30mph, even with firm FWs.

Do you play with any of the college or mini tour guys? I'm not going to get in a big between the legs match but it's unbelievable how far these guys hit it.

No I don't surround myself with professional athletes but when you say many people hit it over 300 with a three wood. It doesn't happen. I play pretty well, my brother was first team all American and 20+ yards longer than me. We play in Louisiana with no altitude and he hits it 270 (2wood). I play in CO with locals and almost none of them are longer than me. And I can't sniff 270. I routinely drive a par 4 in CO from the tee box with three wood, but it's aided and a big dogleg, and only 300yards and very firm. I would never say I hit it 300 yards. I hit it 250-260. I play many 3 woods off the tee for positioning and yardages. I've recently played qualifiers with college golfers, and only a few hit it longer than me. Let's just end it with this. There might be 10 guys on the PGA tour with their tour card that can hit a 3 wood that far. That represents the best professional golf tour on the planet on the best surfaces to play on.

At elevation in Colorado there are easily 75+ guys on tour than can hit 3 wood 300 yards. Plenty of juniors and mini tour players hit 3 wood 280+ at sea level. Last time I played in Colorado I was hitting 3 wood 290-300 yards and I only fly 3 wood 245-255 off a tee at sea level. With good launch conditions anyone swinging 103 or higher could hit it 3 wood 300 yards at 10,000'.

Unless you're mashing the 3w 300+ and are total garbage with the driver - just take out the 3w.

If you're that long - how often are you going to encounter a shot where you can hit it 300 yards (but your driver will go too far) AND you need more than the 250 or so you'd get from a hybrid? Needing to hit it 250-300 yards but no more or no less on a shot is pretty rare. Tighten your gaps elsewhere in the bag.

I mean carrying a 3 wood 275 and then getting 25 yards of roll isn't that hard for better players. Very few can do it off the deck but off the tee isn't really that insane. Get a 13.5 * 3 wood, tee it up and you can get pretty insane launch stats, not much different than a driver..

Tee makes a huge difference for 3 wood. hit mine 260 off deck but play it at least 280 off tee.

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage and most good players hit the ball incredibly high. The simple answer is the guys out here who are really good will play a 3 wood around 300 and a Driver somewhere between 330-360. We play a lot of stretched courses where the driver is a huge advantage. Out here this isn't that uncommon. I play a 16.5 R15 four wood that I carry 290 off a tee and play with guys who are longer than me.

Long story short, they just hit the piss out of their driver and the good ones hit it really straight too!

I play in Colorado too, and no one I play with can carry 3 wood 270. Unaided I'll take EVERY bet that their three wood doesn't go 300. Not down 40', not down wind 30mph, even with firm FWs.

Do you play with any of the college or mini tour guys? I'm not going to get in a big between the legs match but it's unbelievable how far these guys hit it.

No I don't surround myself with professional athletes but when you say many people hit it over 300 with a three wood. It doesn't happen. I play pretty well, my brother was first team all American and 20+ yards longer than me. We play in Louisiana with no altitude and he hits it 270 (2wood). I play in CO with locals and almost none of them are longer than me. And I can't sniff 270. I routinely drive a par 4 in CO from the tee box with three wood, but it's aided and a big dogleg, and only 300yards and very firm. I would never say I hit it 300 yards. I hit it 250-260. I play many 3 woods off the tee for positioning and yardages. I've recently played qualifiers with college golfers, and only a few hit it longer than me. Let's just end it with this. There might be 10 guys on the PGA tour with their tour card that can hit a 3 wood that far. That represents the best professional golf tour on the planet on the best surfaces to play on.

At elevation in Colorado there are easily 75+ guys on tour than can hit 3 wood 300 yards. Plenty of juniors and mini tour players hit 3 wood 280+ at sea level. Last time I played in Colorado I was hitting 3 wood 290-300 yards and I only fly 3 wood 245-255 off a tee at sea level. With good launch conditions anyone swinging 103 or higher could hit it 3 wood 300 yards at 10,000'.

Spot on iTeach. Thanks for understanding what I'm saying! Mattsam, I play at Highlands Ranch golf club in south Denver, we should play sometime if the schedules work and I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about :D

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I carried my 3 wood ~280. Unfortunately at ~285 a forced carry started and I one bounced into it. First time playing the course and my normal ~230 turned into a combo of 280 from a massive downhill and tailwind.:)

Whenever this subject comes up people make a big misunderstanding about statistics. When you are talking about 115 or so swing speed, it is a relatively small percentage of golfers. But there are still a lot of them. And distance and skill aren't always a pair. There are a lot of guys that can mash the ball but can't find it half the time. A lot comes down to the crowd you hang out with. A bunch of broken down 50+ year olds at the private club? You might be lucky to see a 105mph swing out of 100 guys. On the other hand hang out with a bunch of athletic college kids (i.e. the good varsity hockey and baseball players in HS) and the slowest guys are 105 and you see 115+ swings on a regular basis while shooting high 80s with a grip it and rip it style. And yes the number of people who post here with high swing speeds is abnormal. But it is also expected. Where the heck do you think good golfers would hang out?

To some people, and this is probably a real shocker as usual, but sometimes a high swing speed isn't the holy grail for everyone. Personally, I've been above average, but nothing staggering. However, I do know a couple guys that just have a fast swing speed, and are also not great golfers.

A good friend of mine is an absolute health nut, lifts all the time, runs 5 miles per day, played D1 baseball, Military MP, 6'2" which doesn't hurt, and just an all around great athlete. Golfs maybe 5-6 times a year. Uses some 690 cb's, which are smaller than my LH Miura TB's, and this guy can absolutely SMASH the ball. On a 510 yard par 5, he went driver-soft 8 iron, and there's not a single spot on that hole that helps you.

But here's where my first part of this statement came in. He missed that 10' eagle putt by 4', then he missed that birdie putt too.

Tell him to chip a ball within 10' from 30-40 yards, and there's not a chance in hell it would happen. He might have out-drove me by 30 yards, and that's me giving myself a break, but I beat him by 12 strokes that day.

It's not all that crazy to think that some amateur golfers just might be able to hit a 3 wood 270. Heck, I can do that too, and it's cranked up to 15.5*, just imagine the glory if it were 13*.....

As enlightening as this statement might be... distance doesn't make you a better golfer, and this proverbial di*k measuring that goes on around here is getting old, and I'm talking less about the claims than I am the people who just go bonkers about any post from someone who says they hit it further than average distance. You could say you chipped in from 50 yards and you'd get a congratulations from everyone, but you say you hit it further than joe blow and all his buddies, well then you better be able to provide certified, time stamped, club pro approved and published trackman numbers.

Someone hits it further than you and all your friends? Who cares? It's like the fact that they're a 20 hcp adds insult to injury for some people, when guess what? Play them for some money and see who comes out on top. It'll still be more consistent short knocker than the long hitter with no golf game every single time.

FWIW: I'm really enjoying this discussion.

Here's a good one: a friend of mine swings unbelievably hard and is a poor to average golfer 14-16 cap and was playing a regular flex driver. I told him he needs to go get fitted because he was hitting bombs or snap hooks (broken window variety). They fit him in to a 70XX because he said his swing speed was in the 130's. I called bullxxxx and bet him 50 bucks that if we went there he couldn't do it again. This was at PGA tour superstore and sure as s*** he got 131 on the third swing. I was lashing at the ball and could only get 122-123. Lost the 50 bucks and the funny part is I played with him about a month ago and he went back to the old driver because he didn't like how "short" the new one was going. Zero f's given to hitting it straight.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage

Spot on iTeach. Thanks for understanding what I'm saying! Mattsam, I play at Highlands Ranch golf club in south Denver, we should play sometime if the schedules work and I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about :D

I understand what you both are saying, so you are saying at high elevation about 75 touring pros can hit their 3 wood 300+ yards. Now are you saying about 150 golfers in the US at 5000ft above sea level is MANY golfers as to the millions of golfers in the US? It's aided by very very thin air. Of the 75 touring pros that can hit their 3 woods 300 in denver how many will hit it 300 in Florida?

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I play in Colorado where we have the altitude advantage

I understand what you both are saying, so you are saying at high elevation about 75 touring pros can hit their 3 wood 300+ yards. Now are you saying about 150 golfers in the US at 5000ft above sea level is MANY golfers as to the millions of golfers in the US? It's aided by very very thin air. Of the 75 touring pros that can hit their 3 woods 300 in denver how many will hit it 300 in Florida?

It's more like 10,000 golfers in the US could hit 3 wood 300 in Denver of a tee. Pretty much everybody who play golf for a living or competitive golf would hit it that far in Denver. And the response was to a guy who lives in Denver who said even in Denver he doesn't know anyone who can hit 3 wood 300 even downwind and downhill.

And to answer your question more than you think. They wouldn't hit all of their 3 woods 300 yards but many would hit some of them that far, especially on firm fairways in a tour event.

To some people, and this is probably a real shocker as usual, but sometimes a high swing speed isn't the holy grail for everyone. Personally, I've been above average, but nothing staggering. However, I do know a couple guys that just have a fast swing speed, and are also not great golfers.

A good friend of mine is an absolute health nut, lifts all the time, runs 5 miles per day, played D1 baseball, Military MP, 6'2" which doesn't hurt, and just an all around great athlete. Golfs maybe 5-6 times a year. Uses some 690 cb's, which are smaller than my LH Miura TB's, and this guy can absolutely SMASH the ball. On a 510 yard par 5, he went driver-soft 8 iron, and there's not a single spot on that hole that helps you.

But here's where my first part of this statement came in. He missed that 10' eagle putt by 4', then he missed that birdie putt too.

Tell him to chip a ball within 10' from 30-40 yards, and there's not a chance in hell it would happen. He might have out-drove me by 30 yards, and that's me giving myself a break, but I beat him by 12 strokes that day.

It's not all that crazy to think that some amateur golfers just might be able to hit a 3 wood 270. Heck, I can do that too, and it's cranked up to 15.5*, just imagine the glory if it were 13*.....

As enlightening as this statement might be... distance doesn't make you a better golfer, and this proverbial di*k measuring that goes on around here is getting old, and I'm talking less about the claims than I am the people who just go bonkers about any post from someone who says they hit it further than average distance. You could say you chipped in from 50 yards and you'd get a congratulations from everyone, but you say you hit it further than joe blow and all his buddies, well then you better be able to provide certified, time stamped, club pro approved and published trackman numbers.

Someone hits it further than you and all your friends? Who cares? It's like the fact that they're a 20 hcp adds insult to injury for some people, when guess what? Play them for some money and see who comes out on top. It'll still be more consistent short knocker than the long hitter with no golf game every single time.

you siad he plays 5 times a year. if he played and practiced the same amount you do, he'd crush you. distance is almost always a good thing

yes distance does make you a better golfer. look at the total driving stats. it's pretty similar to the longest hitters. bomb and gouge is how modern golf is played. look at any college team. if you hit it 280 ( a real GPS 280) you are shortest guy on team

you siad he plays 5 times a year. if he played and practiced the same amount you do, he'd crush you. distance is almost always a good thingyes distance does make you a better golfer. look at the total driving stats. it's pretty similar to the longest hitters. bomb and gouge is how modern golf is played. look at any college team. if you hit it 280 ( a real GPS 280) you are shortest guy on team

He may or may not crush me. If he had all of my attributes + his distance, then yes, he would.

My reference is more geared towards the rest of the amateur golfers out there, not necessarily the competitive ones. The 250 yard portion especially.

I guess I also left out a point in my thought process that makes your point more valid, and mine less without it being said: 250 in the fairway off the tee isn't crazy far, but iron distance wasn't something that i grouped in with that. I guess there's no reason you'd only make 250 off the tee and still hit a 7i 170, but in my own game and thought process, if I can can be 250 off the tee and in the fairway, my scoring chances on a 6500-6800 yard course are good. All this, of course, is with accuracy in mind. If you can hit every fairway at 250, you have an advantage over someone hitting it 300 and hitting few fairways.

If distance was the key to being a great golfer, Speith would never have won and would be trampled by DJ, JD, Bubba, etc all the time, and if the goal was to always hit as far as possible, then people would take driver every hole, and the only ones who generally do that are amateur golfers.

Id say that if you have a reasonable level of accuracy and can comfortably hit approach shots into 400 yard par 4's, you're gonna be ok.

But also, to your defense as I don't totally disagree with you at all, I think Henrik, just like anyone else giving up 50 yards off the tee to their competition, it is a big disadvantage when your competition is on their game.

Obviously if your 50 yards back from someone on every single hole, then it's clearly gonna be an issue, but if you're consistent and find yourself in trouble half as often, then you're going to be ok. Some courses you'd do well to hit it sub 300 with good accuracy, and some you can play from everywhere and might as well hit it as far as you can. I guess my thought is built around 250 and accurate vs 300 and semi accurate.

• 2 years later...

I struggle with a driver, new to golf, but dodgy grip and swing, and don't want to change because it feels horrible.

So I just bought a 3 wood and its going up to 287 on GC2. I will do a 300 by the end of the week

If I nail a driver perfect it goes 327 on GC2 (stock settings), but typically 285-300, but dispersion isn't the best.

And the g410 crossover @ 17 has done a 273 on GC2 but typically 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time.

So for me, yes the 3 wood and crossover are the key to me taming my long game off the tee; the driver is just too wild and as soon as I have nailed down this 3 wood and crossover, it will probably come out of the bag 3 times, at most a round.

The driver is typically good for 300 if connected well, with the odd monster at 320 ish.

The 3 wood, I see being good for a constant 260-275 with less punishment off a bad hit.

the crossover is good for 255-265 and like to find fairways.

So yes, a good 3 wood is going to allow most players to come close to their driver distance and should punish them less on mis-hits.

4 days ago I did not even own a 3 wood and now I'm really excited about lowering my handicap with it due to not getting into so much trouble off the tee.

> @Want2GetGood said:

> I struggle with a driver, new to golf, but dodgy grip and swing, and don't want to change because it feels horrible.

> So I just bought a 3 wood and its going up to 287 on GC2. I will do a 300 by the end of the week

> If I nail a driver perfect it goes 327 on GC2 (stock settings), but typically 285-300, but dispersion isn't the best.

> And the g410 crossover @ 17 has done a 273 on GC2 but typically 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time.

> So for me, yes the 3 wood and crossover are the key to me taming my long game off the tee; the driver is just too wild and as soon as I have nailed down this 3 wood and crossover, it will probably come out of the bag 3 times, at most a round.

>

> The driver is typically good for 300 if connected well, with the odd monster at 320 ish.

> The 3 wood, I see being good for a constant 260-275 with less punishment off a bad hit.

> the crossover is good for 255-265 and like to find fairways.

>

> So yes, a good 3 wood is going to allow most players to come close to their driver distance and should punish them less on mis-hits.

>

> 4 days ago I did not even own a 3 wood and now I'm really excited about lowering my handicap with it due to not getting into so much trouble off the tee.

>

Cliff notes ...

New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

Average WRXer.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> Cliff notes ...

>

> New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

>

> Average WRXer.

Not sure if trolling but whatever. I got the big weight in the back of the 3 wood, spin should drop if I swap it around.

I want the 3 wood to replace the driver so I want it to be long as possible, can use the crossover off the fairway if I need a long approach. 3 wood seems quite easy to top though, have to play it less like a driver and more like a long iron IMO.

https://ibb.co/Wks2t6s

n73dl7kletpf.jpg

> @Tcann32 said:

>

>

> I don't get all the rage about Stenson's 3w honestly, outside of his consistency. It's talked about so often because he doesn't really ever use his driver and is always competitive, but if Day, Rors, etc.. can't hit theirs equally as far, then maybe it's a bit more special than I realize, but I'm quite positive I've seen them hit a fairway wood equally as far, and or further.

Not sure where to start in this thread but this is as good as any..

The rave about Stenson is incredibly well justified. Yes there are guys as long or a smidge longer, absolutely none have hit it so straight and long off the tee year in year out. Without question in the top 4 or 5 of all time in total driving.

> @tatertot said:

> > @Want2GetGood said:

> > I struggle with a driver, new to golf, but dodgy grip and swing, and don't want to change because it feels horrible.

> > So I just bought a 3 wood and its going up to 287 on GC2. I will do a 300 by the end of the week

> > If I nail a driver perfect it goes 327 on GC2 (stock settings), but typically 285-300, but dispersion isn't the best.

> > And the g410 crossover @ 17 has done a 273 on GC2 but typically 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time.

> > So for me, yes the 3 wood and crossover are the key to me taming my long game off the tee; the driver is just too wild and as soon as I have nailed down this 3 wood and crossover, it will probably come out of the bag 3 times, at most a round.

> >

> > The driver is typically good for 300 if connected well, with the odd monster at 320 ish.

> > The 3 wood, I see being good for a constant 260-275 with less punishment off a bad hit.

> > the crossover is good for 255-265 and like to find fairways.

> >

> > So yes, a good 3 wood is going to allow most players to come close to their driver distance and should punish them less on mis-hits.

> >

> > 4 days ago I did not even own a 3 wood and now I'm really excited about lowering my handicap with it due to not getting into so much trouble off the tee.

> >

>

> Cliff notes ...

>

> New to golf ... Bad swing ... Had 3-wood for 4 days ... Hits 17 degree hybrid 250-265 and finds fairway nearly every time. Should hit 300 with the 3-wood by end of week.

>

> Average wrxer

I think we’d all like to see this golf swing..

I have played with a few younger guys recently, scratch or close, who are in the 275 CARRY AT SEA LEVEL range. Don’t know and never seen anyone who isn’t a long drive pro anywhere near 300 carry. No chance.

I pretty much only hit three wood off of tee's that I feel a driver will put me in a worse position.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @sprcoop said:

> I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brooks and Rory carrying 3W 280-290 off the tee a couple times yesterday in Memphis.

>

> I don't know if that was downwind or what but it was not particularly windy. That just seemed crazy long.

I’ve watched Rory on the range at the Open at least half a dozen times, he has been absolutely consistently in the low 280s carry with a 3 wood. His driver is only 10-15 yards past that (all on trackman).

>

> I think we’d all like to see this golf swing..

>

> I have played with a few younger guys recently, scratch or close, who are in the 275 CARRY AT SEA LEVEL range. Don’t know and never seen anyone who isn’t a long drive pro anywhere near 300 carry. No chance.

>

Sure thing. (yes I need to lose weight!) and I speak into camera as I usually share sim sessions with a few friends.

Here is a sim session I did last month, I had been playing Wilson DX2, but after reading mygolfspy test results I wanted to test the prov1x and tp5.

I grip the club like a cricket bat because that's how I played down the park as a teenager, I got back into it last April at 40 and joined club in June.

For the record every time I switched to DX2, my club head speed was registering quite a lot slower, its my belief the matte orange ball is playing up with the machine, or the compression (29) is so low the ball is simply not converting that energy into ball speed. I don't know how GC2 gets its club head speed data, but if it was converting it from ball speed, its the only way I can explain why every time I took a swing of the DX2 (even when in the zone for me) I was down on numbers in comparison.

Next time I go back to sim I will aim to get the 300 with 3 wood, if I can get 287 after hitting over 100 drives on the range prior and being new to the club I should have no problem getting 13 more yards, my only worry is the weight was actually in the front, so it might not be as easy as I originally thought and while I had hit a lot of balls prior and was tired, I do find my longest drives come well into a Sim session.

I'm over 40 too and as you can see, hardly push myself in terms of exercise or training :)