Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I am scheduled to play Huntmore this Thursday. This course always challenges my game with the fairly high number of forced carries and doglegs. Since I play there about once a year, it is hard to recall what angle to take on the doglegs. Maybe this will be the year I actually score on this layout.

Let me know how you find the condition of Huntmore. I will be in AA / Ypsi next week and plan to play Washtenaw Golf Club but still looking to another place to play that I have not played before. A long time ago my grandparents had a cottage near there off of Round Lake.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I am scheduled to play Huntmore...

Let me know how you find the condition of Huntmore. I will be in AA / Ypsi next week and plan to play Washtenaw Golf Club but still looking to another place to play that I have not played before. A long time ago my grandparents had a cottage near there off of Round Lake.

Well, the greens are likely the ugliest putting surfaces I have seen in the middle of a reasonably nice summer. Sandy, aeration marks, mottled colors ... just a mess. Surprisingly they putted okay. It was hard to have faith in a putt when the surface of the green looks like a lunar landscape. The balance of the course is in decent shape. Thursday the course was saturated from recent thunderstorms. While we had a small amount of rain in Ann Arbor, in the Brighton area they must have been pounded.

I am scheduled to play Huntmore...

Well, the greens are likely the ugliest putting surfaces I have seen in the middle of a reasonably nice summer. Sandy, aeration marks, mottled colors ... just a mess. Surprisingly they putted okay. It was hard to have faith in a putt when the surface of the green looks like a lunar landscape. The balance of the course is in decent shape. Thursday the course was saturated from recent thunderstorms. While we had a small amount of rain in Ann Arbor, in the Brighton area they must have been pounded.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely planning to play Washtenaw Golf Club and Stonebridge. If I can get a third day in, then I will play Moose Ridge or Timber Trace. And with heat in the forecast, maybe the courses will be less crowded. I have been playing mid-90 heat for he past month, so no big deal to me.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I am definitely planning to play Washtenaw Golf Club and Stonebridge. If I can get a third day in, then I will play Moose Ridge or Timber Trace.

Those are good choices. I know Washtenaw and Stonebridge are in good shape and fun tracks. Both Moose and Timber are nice layouts and should be in good shape. Timber Trace is a bit of a drive. Also, be aware that US 23 is a mess during the rush hour so don't plan on playing a twilight round at Moose or Timber.

I am definitely planning to play Washtenaw Golf Club and Stonebridge. If I can get a third day in, then I will play Moose Ridge or Timber Trace.

Those are good choices. I know Washtenaw and Stonebridge are in good shape and fun tracks. Both Moose and Timber are nice layouts and should be in good shape. Timber Trace is a bit of a drive. Also, be aware that US 23 is a mess during the rush hour so don't plan on playing a twilight round at Moose or Timber.

I am really looking forward to play Washtenaw. Old school courses are always fun to play. Last year my pro arranged for me to play at Western Golf and Country Club and loved it. I grew up about a 1/2 mile south of the course and tried to caddie but gave up after sitting, never getting selected for a bag.

Callaway Chrome Soft

What are the best 2 public access courses in Oakland County? Consider elements like Design/Conditioning/Cost/Intangibles (pace, management, etc...)

Same question for Macomb, Washtenaw, Wayne & Livingston Counties.

No cheating by naming more than two. If you are not sure what county a course is in, check here: http://www.gam.org/?coursedirectory&view=county&lat=42.2808256&lng=-83.7430378&zip=48104

Yes, I have not entered my picks. I have to think about this a bit.

So here are my picks. I am somewhat handicapped by the fact that I have not played every course in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb Counties. I will make a swing at it anyway.

Washtenaw County:

1. Pierce Lake - yes, no practice area. I really like the layout and that there is no housing. They keep the place in very good condition. As a senior I get a good rate for walking 18 early in the morning on weekdays.

2. Washtenaw Golf Club - the new kid on the block, having gone public this year. Crappy practice area but at least they have one. A bit short for the long hitters (not for me!). They have really nice green/bunker complexes. An easy walk. No housing on the course. I have gotten the cost down to $22.50 for 18 w/cart.

(GAM lists the U of M as Public but one typically can't just drive up and play without an "affiliation")

Livingston County:

1. Majestic - Decent practice area. Nice routing so no holes parallel each other. Good rolling terrain. Not walkable and the pricing tends to be pretty firm - not a lot of deals.

2. Timber Trace - sort of a far 2nd place. Eventually will have quite a bit of housing. That funky ride on the back nine makes the course unwalkable. Still, a nice layout and can be played for a reasonable cost.

Wayne County:

1. Lakes of Taylor - beats out my #2 choice because of the cost and lack of housing. Interesting layout with the ability to play it at 7,000 yards if that is your cup of tea.

2. Northville Hills - Sort of pricey and I have heard pace is a problem (wasn't for my couple of rounds there). Housing doesn't intrude but it is there. I like the elevation changes and routing. Very good maintenance.

Oakland County:

1. Shepherd's Hollow - Yes, the cost is a bit steep and pace is a problem but the course is very interesting. Nice setting. Decent maintenance.

2. Moose Ridge - (didn't know this was in Oakland) - little brother version of Shepherd's Hollow.

Macomb County:

1. Orchards - I pretty much agree with everyone else

2. Greystone - maybe the best of the other courses in Macomb I have played. I do not even recall if there is housing there.

Oakland

Hard to argue with Moose and Shepherd's... i also rate either with Lyon Oaks or Fieldstone up there too

Macomb

Orchards and Greystone. no contest

Wayne

Golden Fox at Fox Hills

Pheasant Run

Livingston

Coyote Preserve - Ive seen this listed at Genesee and Livingston so im cheating! doesnt seem to get a lot of pub but its a favorite of mine when i want to drive a little more distance

Majestic

Washtenaw

Eagle Crest - this is just a personal favorite. its a pretty straight forward course but ive really enjoyed it. I really enjoy their walking rate, even during peak hours. its a bonus.

Havent played another track in Washtenaw i would rank right now

I play Greystone often enough, and it has one of the most interesting 3 hole finishes in golf, at least for metro detroit. I have played the last 3 holes one under par, and have also played them 6 over par. I have also shot 77 all the way to the mid 90's, lol. What I have against Greystone is the conditions of the greens, which is often times rough and inconsistant. Last time out there I was very disappointed and was not looking forward to going back there, although I will. Cherry Creek is an interesting pick for MC, but often too crowded an slow. You have to pick your time to play there to have a decent pace. I also like Twin Lakes, although a little pricey. Sanctuary Lake is about 1 1/2 miles from home, just played there yesterday, nice links layout, but the greens imo were very poor yesterday as commented by our entire foursome. One of my favorite go-to courses, although I don't think it would make it into the top 10 in MC is Plumbrook. They have some of the best greens I have putt on, barring some of the private course I have played, of all the muni's around. Last year they aerated half the greens at a time while placing the hole on the un-aerated side of the green. Great for customer service!

Apparently, Dunham Hills failure to maintain their website is just laziness. The course was in good shape today. I did not see anything that lead me to believe they are on the ropes, financially.

Greens were smooth and pretty quick, especially the down slope ones. Bunkers maintained. Tees decent, not perfect. Carts in good shape. Cart paths a mess. Fairways watered and in good shape. Rough, as one might expect, was a bit dry and uneven.

I'd rather play Blackheath and Twin Lakes than Moose and Shepard.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I LOVE Blackheath. My favorite course on that side of town.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

It is really one the hidden gems of metro detroit. Great Links course, that is typically in great shape. The only hole two holes I have an issue with is 9 and 11.

Wish they would add 30-40 to 9 (they have the room) and make it a drive-able par 4 and then make 10 longer and make 11 a long par 4. Because it is the strangest tee shot in golf.

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Played Coyote Preserve. I was disappointed. The bunkers are full of rocks and pebbles. They had not bothered to rake them from a day or two earlier. One (#12) bunker had disintegrating liner coming out of the sand like someone had buried several rolls of fiberglass insulation. The greens were slow and very uneven/bumpy.

There is not a single red or yellow stake or line anywhere on the course. Even hole #17 has nothing marked. There may be some O.B. stakes but none that I noted.

Mind you, this was how the course was presented for a group of 116 golfers playing a tournament.

The balance of the course was in decent shape, tee to green.

Dunham Hills???!????

Oakland: Shepherd's Hollow, Moose Ridge

Macomb: Orchards, Greystone

Wayne: Pheasant Run, Lakes of Taylor

Washtenaw: Washtenaw CC, Eagle Crest

Livingston: Dunham Hills, Timber Trace

I know I'm forgetting something in the last 3 counties for public, but off the top of my head those are what I came up with.

Yea it has been in rough shape this year. They use two different types of sand and I think one is terribly full of rocks. Inconsistent bunkers. Greens are not in great shape either.

Played Coyote Preserve. I was disappointed. The bunkers are full of rocks and pebbles. They had not bothered to rake them from a day or two earlier. One (#12) bunker had disintegrating liner coming out of the sand like someone had buried several rolls of fiberglass insulation. The greens were slow and very uneven/bumpy.

There is not a single red or yellow stake or line anywhere on the course. Even hole #17 has nothing marked. There may be some O.B. stakes but none that I noted.

Mind you, this was how the course was presented for a group of 116 golfers playing a tournament.

The balance of the course was in decent shape, tee to green.

I live right by Coyote Preserve and pretty sure it's on the border of the counties. I would have thought it would be in Livingston. But it's been in rough shape last few seasons I've played it. Bunkers and greens have been terrible.

Oakland

Hard to argue with Moose and Shepherd's... i also rate either with Lyon Oaks or Fieldstone up there too

Macomb

Orchards and Greystone. no contest

Wayne

Golden Fox at Fox Hills

Pheasant Run

Livingston

Coyote Preserve - Ive seen this listed at Genesee and Livingston so im cheating! doesnt seem to get a lot of pub but its a favorite of mine when i want to drive a little more distance

Majestic

Washtenaw

Eagle Crest - this is just a personal favorite. its a pretty straight forward course but ive really enjoyed it. I really enjoy their walking rate, even during peak hours. its a bonus.

Havent played another track in Washtenaw i would rank right now

Going to play it this afternoon, if we don't get rained out.

I just happened to break the course record at Blackheath 2 weeks ago in the Publinx State Match Play first qualifying round. I always liked Balckheath, it is a great layout and risk reward shots are everywhere. The greens are tough too. Usually don't see a lot of guys making a ton of putts out there

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I just happened to break the course record at Blackheath 2 weeks ago in the Publinx State Match Play first qualifying round. I always liked Balckheath, it is a great layout and risk reward shots are everywhere. The greens are tough too. Usually don't see a lot of guys making a ton of putts out there

Well, what did you shoot? 61?

Edit: I like Bh too, but strange thing, the rating by the GAM has not been kept up, as you can not post a usga score at that course through the GAM.

Well, what did you shoot? 61?

Edit: I like Bh too, but strange thing, the rating by the GAM has not been kept up, as you can not post a usga score at that course through the GAM.

Blackheath won't pay for the GAM to come rate them.

Besides the Orchards and Twin Lakes, Blackheath has some the best public greens in the area