Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I'd rather play Blackheath and Twin Lakes than Moose and Shepard.

I LOVE Blackheath. My favorite course on that side of town.

Going to play it this afternoon, if we don't get rained out.

I just happened to break the course record at Blackheath 2 weeks ago in the Publinx State Match Play first qualifying round. I always liked Balckheath, it is a great layout and risk reward shots are everywhere. The greens are tough too. Usually don't see a lot of guys making a ton of putts out there

Holy s*** dude, awesome

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I'd rather play Blackheath and Twin Lakes than Moose and Shepard.

I LOVE Blackheath. My favorite course on that side of town.

Going to play it this afternoon, if we don't get rained out.

I just happened to break the course record at Blackheath 2 weeks ago in the Publinx State Match Play first qualifying round. I always liked Balckheath, it is a great layout and risk reward shots are everywhere. The greens are tough too. Usually don't see a lot of guys making a ton of putts out there

Holy s*** dude, awesome

Congrats, what was your score?

It was my first bogey free tournament round. 7 birdies and I made par on 2 par 5's haha

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I have played Blackheath before, I like the links style layout, but # 11 par 5 is a little quirky to me. I don't really care for blind shots to greens, especially uphill. It also seems to promote golfers to hit into others by cutting the corner. Fun otherwise.

I'm playing the TPC Mich tomorrow. Fast greens, yikes!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Played Glacier Club Tuesday/Friday and Links at Crystal Lake just today.

Glacier I usually like, play it a few times a year, greens are challenging and most of it is straight, but it's usually in relatively good condition. Pace was terrible. Starter hated his job and joked we shouldn't be playing black tees on the course (6550yds). Our group was 1.3-9.5 hdcp's. 9 holes took 3 hrs Tuesday morning, only got through 7 holes Friday before giving up after 2:45. Brutal to wait 10 min each shot while guys fish for balls and 30 hdcp's play the tips. Course didn't care one bit when I politely mentioned it.

Links at CL today was terrible. First time I'd played there, figured a great course to work on irons. Teed off at ~8:45, just leaving after 9 holes (3hrs and 50 min). Sad part is they had a ranger out there who was a nice guy, but passive. For a muni it was in fine shape.

Now, I don't want to be totally negative here. I like to golf a LOT around metro Detroit and as many courses as I can, 3-5rds a week. So the wife doesn't kill me, I try to keep most of those cheap (TeeOff or golf book), so I know I can get what I pay for. Blackheath, Twin Lakes, Greystone, Pheasant Run, Lyon Oaks, Tanglewood, Lakes of Taylor, Eagle Crest, Moose Ridge, Coyote Preserve, Golden Hawk and Orchards I play on deals and don't have too many problems, but I like to keep a wide stable of courses to play. Other than those, what other courses should I get out to that are relatively cheap/good shape, but mostly that Rangers keeps good pace?

EDIT: I'm not venting because I have to play in 3 hrs, but 4:00-4:15 should be doable.

Glacier ... 9 holes took 3 hrs Tuesday morning ... 7 holes Friday ...2:45.

Links at CL today was terrible. .. just leaving after 9 holes (3hrs and 50 min).

Wow! I have played a lot of golf in my life and never experienced a pace of play like those recent rounds, especially mid-week and in the morning. Were you following mid-week morning leagues?

One of the glacier rounds was following a 16 man outing playing 2-man scrambles a group ahead of us. Otherwise, just general pace of play those days. No walkers either, not that walkers really have slowed me down in the past. Not used to midweek morning rounds being like that. My weekend rounds have been pretty good, right at that 4:00-4:20 mark.

Glacier I usually like, play it a few times a year, greens are challenging and most of it is straight, but it's usually in relatively good condition. Pace was terrible. Starter hated his job and joked we shouldn't be playing black tees on the course (6550yds). Our group was 1.3-9.5 hdcp's. 9 holes took 3 hrs Tuesday morning, only got through 7 holes Friday before giving up after 2:45. Brutal to wait 10 min each shot while guys fish for balls and 30 hdcp's play the tips. Course didn't care one bit when I politely mentioned it.

Links at CL today was terrible. First time I'd played there, figured a great course to work on irons. Teed off at ~8:45, just leaving after 9 holes (3hrs and 50 min). Sad part is they had a ranger out there who was a nice guy, but passive. For a muni it was in fine shape.

Now, I don't want to be totally negative here. I like to golf a LOT around metro Detroit and as many courses as I can, 3-5rds a week. So the wife doesn't kill me, I try to keep most of those cheap (TeeOff or golf book), so I know I can get what I pay for. Blackheath, Twin Lakes, Greystone, Pheasant Run, Lyon Oaks, Tanglewood, Lakes of Taylor, Eagle Crest, Moose Ridge, Coyote Preserve, Golden Hawk and Orchards I play on deals and don't have too many problems, but I like to keep a wide stable of courses to play. Other than those, what other courses should I get out to that are relatively cheap/good shape, but mostly that Rangers keeps good pace?

EDIT: I'm not venting because I have to play in 3 hrs, but 4:00-4:15 should be doable.

Westwynd and Devil's Ridge come to mind.

It was my first bogey free tournament round. 7 birdies and I made par on 2 par 5's haha

So I assume you qualified then? Nice shooting!!

I did and I ended up losing in the semi final match in 20 holes

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Played the TPC of Michigan yesterday and the course was in great shape. Strange, I found the greens a little on the slow side compared to other times I played the course. Maybe they are not cutting as low as other times due to heat. The course got the best of me. Worst hole: #7 par 5, was 80 yards out in two shots and carded a 9. Dang.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Played the TPC of Michigan yesterday and the course was in great shape. Strange, I found the greens a little on the slow side compared to other times I played the course. Maybe they are not cutting as low as other times due to heat. The course got the best of me. Worst hole: #7 par 5, was 80 yards out in two shots and carded a 9. Dang.

I played it for the first time last month and really didn't care for the course. I feel it's a bit overrated.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I played it for the first time last month and really didn't care for the course. I feel it's a bit overrated.

What didn't you like about it? It is a good challenge. I paired up with a 2 hc & a 6 hc who both shot 87, anc I shot a 94 as 19 hc,so the difficulty factor is there. It has a good diversity of holes.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Played Coyote in New Hudson yesterday. We played the "blue" tees which are two notches closer than the tips. Around 6,300 yards. At first I was a bit surprised at the relatively low "slope" at 119. After playing I am of two minds. The greens are fairly tame, not a lot of bumps and humps. Also, the bunkering is user friendly. There is often the option of running a shot on to the green.

On the other hand, there are numerous doglegs that make the holes play longer. A fair amount of water and wetlands, along with forested areas makes an inaccurate player pay.

Maintenance was very good. A couple of our seniors had "rounds of their life" so lots of smiles for some. Quirks and all, I liked it.

So I'm out at Boulder Pointe, played peaks>dunes. On #1 there's a wedding party just off the green, literally, waiting for us to approach and putt out to take pictures. My mental game didn't fare me well there after a great tee shot. #2, the par 3 over water? I hit a freaking goose crossing the center of the green. So instead of 5 ft from the hole I'm barely still in up against water. Game went to crap from there, just Murphy's Law, even the 2-iron abandoned me. Oh well, there's always next round!

I enjoy Boulder Pointe, but haven't had the chance to play there this year. Peaks are the most enjoyable.

I played Snow Snake in Harrison today and it was in the usual good shape, and the faiways/greens are on the wet side as if it rained the day before? If you have never played SS it is a decent course and challenge.

What didn't you like about it? It is a good challenge. I paired up with a 2 hc & a 6 hc who both shot 87, anc I shot a 94 as 19 hc,so the difficulty factor is there. It has a good diversity of holes.

For me it wasn't really memorable. It felt like many other courses these days with all of the heather and long grass that lined what felt like every hole. I just prefer old style country club types where holes are carved out of some big trees and you can see and visualize each hole and shot.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Got out to Greystone this morning. Good round, course was a bit soggy, but that's just nitpicking, was definitely playable. Good pace, but the reason I'm posting is because I hit ANOTHER bird on a par 3. After my goose at Boulder pointe last week, I hit a seagull on 16, although this one stayed on the green and I have no idea how the sucker survived! I didn't expect to hit the one of only two seagulls on the green, but after I hit it all I thought of was Randy Johnson. So which flying animal am I gonna take out tomorrow?

anyone planning to go check out the US Amateur this week at Oakland Hills? Ill prob check out some afternoon action of the stroke play tomorrow and plan to see some match play Friday or Saturday. Really looking forward to walking the ground and observing... will be my first time back since the PGA in 08

assuming a solid merch tent will be there too... wife wont be pleased ha

anyone planning to go check out the US Amateur this week at Oakland Hills? Ill prob check out some afternoon action of the stroke play tomorrow and plan to see some match play Friday or Saturday. Really looking forward to walking the ground and observing... will be my first time back since the PGA in 08

assuming a solid merch tent will be there too... wife wont be pleased ha

Forgot about that. I might head out tomorrow because my clubs invite is Wed-Sat. I played in the GAM Senior-Mid am there last year and really wanted to get back to see how they play the course. The 200+ yard par 3's destroyed me, otherwise the course wasn't overly difficult.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

For me it wasn't really memorable. It felt like many other courses these days with all of the heather and long grass that lined what felt like every hole. I just prefer old style country club types where holes are carved out of some big trees and you can see and visualize each hole and shot.

nothing more picturesque and then beautiful tree line courses, but for some reason I score better on links-style courses. I think yet is sort of an intimidation factor when I see trees on each side of the fairway?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Played Boulder Pointe today, Peaks to Dunes. Course is in great shape and the groundskeepers were putting in heavy work today to ensure it stayed that way. Great layout there too.

I love playing out there for some reason, I think because it is a great layout with some interesting holes. Peaks is always in high demand.

I played The Majestic for the first time thursday. To me, a great layout. It must have gotten hit with a passing thunderstorm because it was very wet. My ball plugged more times then I can shake a stick at, but it was in great condition otherwise. I had a couple birdies mixed in with serveral bogies and some doubles, I shot 87, ho-hum, but enjoyed the day. I would recommend this course to anybody wanting a quality experience. I would like to give it another go a dryer day to see how things turn out.

Got a chance to play 10-18 at Shepherd's Hollow last night ($30 twilight and a $10 riding fee for my wife)- I cannot rave about this course enough.

By far my favorite in Southeast Michigan. Great layout, it's in impeccable shape and I understand the food is great in the restaurant there too, although there was a wedding so I didn't get a chance to eat there. You feel like you're in Northern Michigan when you're at Shepherd's Hollow.