Last 6 major winners used 2 wedge setups. Time for a rule change?

SuperCarl

I've used the 4 wedge setup for quite sometime. I won't be chasing better results by trying to copy what the best in the game are doing. What works for one won't work for others.

One of my buddies bags a 1 iron. I can't hit one. He made room by taking out a wedge. Can't even imagine taking a club out that works well for me to put an iffy club into the bag.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The gap between pw and sw is huge in today's stock sets- you need a gap wedge. I prefer to carry a lob wedge rather than an extra long club- driver 4w 2iron 4 iron is all I need at the top of the bag...

Completely agree. My 50 acts as my true pitching wedge. 56/60 give me two options around the green and sand. My loca courses are all 6500 and under so tons of wedge shots into greens. More options is better.

Also you gotta make these decisions from your particular gaming experience. I only hit 1-2 4-irons a round sometimes not at all, no point to add a 3i. I played 18 yesterday and saw 11 shots from 60-125 on approaches. I find the gap wedge being so important to get at tucked pins too, rather than a 3/4 pitching wedge that can be unpredictable.

I find that the longer hitters, let's say PW 135-140+ carry (not wrx downwind numbers, true carry lol) most will want to go 4 wedges. Gap wedge is a necessary evil that's why it's in almost all college players bags.

If I was hitting PW less than 120 on full shots I would go 3 wedges only.

Just kidding.

But it's an interesting fact. Does the streamlined training when using one GW/SW and one LW make a difference or is it just a coincidence?

I've been using a 52-56-60 setup all my life but I'm really curious about the 2 wedge setup. I don't need the extra wood but I could for sure need some help with my wedges. Maybe less tools and more familiarity with them is the way to go?

What's your thoughts about 2 or 3 wedge setups?

I don't know of any pro playing only two wedges. At a minimum they play three: the PW (~47), SW (~56), and a GW (~51). Some play four, adding a LW (60+).

Just kidding.

But it's an interesting fact. Does the streamlined training when using one GW/SW and one LW make a difference or is it just a coincidence?

I've been using a 52-56-60 setup all my life but I'm really curious about the 2 wedge setup. I don't need the extra wood but I could for sure need some help with my wedges. Maybe less tools and more familiarity with them is the way to go?

I don't know of any pro playing only two wedges. At a minimum they play three: the PW (~47), SW (~56), and a GW (~51). Some play four, adding a LW (60+).

PW doesn't count here. It gets lumped in with the irons. Playing two wedges is (PW not counting as a "wedge" despite the name, plus....) sand wedge around 53-55 and lob wedge around 58-60.

There's no right answer here, but I'll inject my opinion anyway. Golf isn't a static game, at some point you're gonna have a yardage that's between your wedges. For me, the mindset that you have 4 wedges for specific yardages is all fine and good in theory, but in reality on the course, you have to learn how to hit them various yardages. You can't carry enough wedges to have a 80 yard wedge, a 70 yard wedge, a 60, a 50, a 40, etc.

The idea that you have a wedge to cover every yardage just isn't possible. At some point you're going to be inside of your shortest wedge and you better know how to take some off. So you can apply that same logic to carrying 5 or 6* gaps. It's really not a big deal.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

You asked "What's your thoughts about 2 or 3 wedge setups?"

I prefer the 2 plus 3 setup. Three clus between strong lofted 6 iron and driver is sufficent.

Longest two "wedges" are full swing clubs that at one time, would have been considered short irons.

Lob wedge for specialty short shots and maximum spin pitch shots

Sand wedge for soft sand, pitching and chipping.

52* wedge with narrow sole for lower pitch shots, chipping, and wet sand.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

It kinda makes you wonder what in the crap Phil was carrying when bagged 2 Drivers...cuz you know he was still carrying all those wedges.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Just kidding.

PW doesn't count here. It gets lumped in with the irons. Playing two wedges is (PW not counting as a "wedge" despite the name, plus....) sand wedge around 53-55 and lob wedge around 58-60.

If it's not a wedge why do all of the golf manufacturers, save Hogan, call it that and stamp PW on the club? :read:

It's pretty easy to practice with just one club (58) for me and use the gw/Pw for full shots. Recently playing around with a 64 that I'm 100% sure will only hurt my game, but since I'm not getting paid might as well have fun. Also helps when the top of the bag is set, and gaps are filled.

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

I think it's more due to fact that they are playing 7400 yards courses. They would rather have that extra club up top so they can have a few eagle chances per round because they know they can cover the distances they need pretty easily with a 2 wedge set up.

I agree. For me, I have no need for an extra club at the top of the bag. I have pretty consistent gaps all the way through the bag, and go 46-50-54-58 at the bottom

I think pros are far more precise with their approach positions than ams. If I could guarantee being 100 metres out every time I could happily play a 52 and just have a 60 for short game shots. But being an inconsistent am, I am often closer than 100, and have much more success hitting a full 56 than trying to babh a 52.

I used to carry 52/56/60 but now carry 52/58 instead. The 58 is excellent out of bunkers and can be opened up beautifully for flop shots, while the 52 is great for pretty much anything. I've found it much easier to manipulate two clubs for the shot I need than try and use three.

Taylormade Stealth 9* Driver | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 65g

Taylormade Stealth 15* 3 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade Stealth 19* 5 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade P790 UDI | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g

(Mizuno Fli-Hi 19* 3 iron | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g)

Taylormade P770 Irons 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S
Taylormade HiToe Wedges 52* & 58* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120S
Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport

2 for me for some time now. I like a weak SW for 95% of shots inside 90 yds and GW to fill in up to 115 or so. Soft wedges are pretty easy shots for me, so I can cover wide yardage gaps with PW and GW, and I am more comfortable having a single club that does all my pitching and chipping. I prefer having extra clubs on the long end to give myself a better shot at hitting fairways. It all starts in the short grass.

I noticed this on tour also; I always thought it was weird that guys hitting it 300+ only carried three wedges (PW plus two), and I carry four and I only hit it 250. Do they really need a 3-iron and a hybrid? Now I'm starting to get it. I think for me, it's about balancing simplicity and gapping. I rarely hit my 50*; it's a 115 club that I tend to only use for full swings. And frankly, as a good wedge player, I can manipulate a PW just fine for that yardage. Very much considering dropping the 50 and my 46 PW and going to a 48. That would give me consistent 6* gaps - 60, 54, 48, then my 41.5 9-iron.

What to do with the extra club...maybe another hybrid between the 4H and 2H, maybe a mini-driver. More hoing to do on BST.

Driver: Stealth 2 9*
3-Metal: TSi2 13.5* at D4 (+0.75)

5-Metal:  0341 Gen2 18*

4-Hybrid:  i25 22* 
Irons: i210 5-U
Wedges: SM8 54D, SM9 60M
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2MCS 
Ball: -Pro-V1x 

Just kidding.

I used to subscribe to this 58 and 54 bent to 53. I liked it because for years I would walk up to a green side pitch, chip, flop, etc...with 3 or 4 wedges in my hand and 20 different types of shots to hit. Theoretically more shot options is nice, but I realized that being super familiar with just one or maybe two wedges was a better option. So I spent a couple of years just practicing with the 53/54 around greens and got really good with it. The occasional flop with a 58 or chip with a PW was in order but I was so comfortable with that one club I felt like I could do anything with it.

I have recently added a GW to provide more consistency on approach shots/better distance gaps opposed to trying to hit a little PW all the time...but still mostly practice with the 54.

I think you are best suited to practice alot with that one middle lofted club (52-56) and then stay disciplined to have that be your first option for anything within 50 yards. If a special shot requires a flop or a chip then go to plan B.

Stealth+ 10.5: LAG Trono 65x
Stealth 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

I think alot depends on where you play most of your golf as well. My CC that I play 90% of my rounds at...really has no use for the fwy woods other than 2-4 holes depending on wind. So Im pretty much driver and then an iron all day. I still try not to have too many wedges in the bag just so Im not trying to hit some shot that I rarely practice, but have been considering pulling the 3W for a 62-64 degree. There are weeks at a time where the 3w never leaves the bag but almost every round I have some quirky flop shot that a 60+ degree could have been useful for.

Stealth+ 10.5: LAG Trono 65x
Stealth 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

When you practice as much as these guys do you can reliably alter distance, trajectory, spin with only 2 wedges. Doesn't work for me.

Exactly this....I don't have the time to practice so I need every club I can get!

On the other hand, when you only have a couple or few wedges, you can get more comfortable and more proficient with those clubs since you have less club options and hit each one more often. That's my experience from out in the fairway and chipping around the green.

I feel I would be happy with only two wedges on the short chips and pitches around the green, but I want the full shot distances. Being resonably consistent on 80, 95 and 110 yard shots is a lot better than just 88 and 107.

On the other hand, I play almost exclusively from the back tees nowadays and full swings with the 52, 56 and 60 clubs are rare, just a couple of par 5 approaches per round.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I had probably played every imaginable combination at one point in my life. Started with a PW/56. Went to a P/55/60, then a whole lot of others - P/52/56/60 was the most common - but I found I was most consistent when I had 2 more wedges after the PW. I started with a 54/60 combo. I used the 60 from all greenside shots and 90yds and in and the 54 from 95-115. I went to a 52/58 setup lately because it gives me the best gaps and I found that I can take off yds from the 58 easier than I could with the 60. I also went to a single length wedge system - PW, 52 and 58 are all 36" - so the feeling is all the same with full swings, chips, pitches and everything in between. I think that alone has helped my short game more than anything. I would constantly thin the high loft clubs at their shorter length but not nearly as much lately. I just picked up a 50 and 54 to experiment a little. I just have to figure out which club to take out of the top end of my bag if the 4 wedge setup works better.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Very interesting topic, sorry for the confusion about the PW. I always thought of it as an iron.

I can see the argument for full shots but I aim for GW distance or chipping distance for layups.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of droping my SW. I just don't know what I'd replace it with.

Ping G25 10.5*

Titleist 910F 15*
Titleist 910F 19*

Srixon 945 4-PW
Cleveland RTX3 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron NP2 35"

Also used a 3 wedge set-up previously (48-54-60) but about to shift to 4 due to the lofts on my new irons.

New line up will be PW at 43.5, AW at 49 and then my existing 54 and 60. To be honest I'm not viewing it as a change, more that everything in the bag is decreasing it's number by 1!

As others have said a lot is based on the courses you play. Around the greens at home I rarely use anything but my 60 degree, however when I play Links on holiday I'm forced to use a range of different shots and approaches.

Just kidding.

If it's not a wedge why do all of the golf manufacturers, save Hogan, call it that and stamp PW on the club? :read:

Because in the modern numbering/naming convention, PW comes after 9 without regard to the design of the club. Furthermore, a modern, set matching PW has the same design as the short irons and a similar loft and thus can be considered as a mere continuation of the short irons.

If a set matching PW were a true wedge, it'd be designed more like a specialty wedge (e.g., a Vokey or 588) and have loft in the 50*-53* range.

I had probably played every imaginable combination at one point in my life. Started with a PW/56. Went to a P/55/60, then a whole lot of others - P/52/56/60 was the most common - but I found I was most consistent when I had 2 more wedges after the PW. I started with a 54/60 combo. I used the 60 from all greenside shots and 90yds and in and the 54 from 95-115. I went to a 52/58 setup lately because it gives me the best gaps and I found that I can take off yds from the 58 easier than I could with the 60. I also went to a single length wedge system - PW, 52 and 58 are all 36" - so the feeling is all the same with full swings, chips, pitches and everything in between. I think that alone has helped my short game more than anything. I would constantly thin the high loft clubs at their shorter length but not nearly as much lately. I just picked up a 50 and 54 to experiment a little. I just have to figure out which club to take out of the top end of my bag if the 4 wedge setup works better.

Not to be overlooked... I have 9PGSL, and they are all spec'd identically. Works wonders. For all the "single length" craze, I truly believe your scoring clubs are the most important to get the same length. To add control, use the extra-long grips; the Ping wedge grips that have the thumb markers are outstanding for consistency in taking a few yards off if needed.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Just kidding.

Because in the modern numbering/naming convention, PW comes after 9 without regard to the design of the club. Furthermore, a modern, set matching PW has the same design as the short irons and a similar loft and thus can be considered as a mere continuation of the short irons.

If a set matching PW were a true wedge, it'd be designed more like a specialty wedge (e.g., a Vokey or 588) and have loft in the 50*-53* range.

Well Jimmy Walker used 3 Vokeys. 3-9 716 TMB and 3 Vokeys...ergo...3 "wedges".

Also, irons can include a set matching sand and lob wedge if I wanted, so would that mean i'm using NO wedges by your defintion?