Let's play, "Guess the handicap"!!!

Obee

Fun thread and it shows how much I know about the golf swing. Number 2 (White visor, light shirt/light shorts) threw me for a loop. He looks like a 15 hdcp to me that can't get it out there past 180 yds. He would have hustled me to death and took my entire net worth!

You're not alone. The first time OB did a thread like this with videos, I made the mistake of thinking they were mid level players. After reading some of OB's great stories about the guys he plays with, that mistake won't be made again!

• Like 1

I would have guessed a bit higher, but not much.

Here's the thing. They all have *mostly square clubfaces and they ALL have good tempo/rhythm.

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

When I look at these and then watch my own swing on video, I wonder why I suck so bad. Or when I warm up on the range before a round and hit 20 lasers and the starter says "nice swing. what's your handicap? scratch? plus?" And I reply "I'll be lucky to break 90" - and that's the truth. I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Lol.

• Like 1

When I look at these and then watch my own swing on video, I wonder why I suck so bad. Or when I warm up on the range before a round and hit 20 lasers and the starter says "nice swing. what's your handicap? scratch? plus?" And I reply "I'll be lucky to break 90" - and that's the truth. I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Lol.

I want to start a whole thread on this....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

The ability to walk from the range to the first tee and produce the same results is what separates many of us mid level players from the low index players.

The ability to walk from the range to the first tee and produce the same results is what separates many of us mid level players from the low index players.

I think that is partially because many Mid-Cap golfers don't really hit the ball as well as they think they do on the range. They may pure it and hit The center of the face, but they can't take one side of the golf course out of play, because they never really have a target in mind when they hit balls on the range.

I will frequently work with buddies on the range that are 4 to 10 handicappers and tell them that there's water just right or just left of the pin. I will then watch them butcher the shot because they are not used to simulating difficult shots on the range.

You must be able to take one side of the golf course out of play to play high-level golf, so it's amazing to me how few people actually practice this on the range.

I think that is partially because many Mid-Cap golfers don't really hit the ball as well as they think they do on the range. They may pure it and hit The center of the face, but they can't take one side of the golf course out of play, because they never really have a target in mind when they hit balls on the range.

I will frequently work with buddies on the range that are 4 to 10 handicappers and tell them that there's water just right or just left of the pin. I will then watch them butcher the shot because they are not used to simulating difficult shots on the range.

You must be able to take one side of the golf course out of play to play high-level golf, so it's amazing to me how few people actually practice this on the range.

Obee - you are absolutely correct. And you're right that most of the time I am just beating balls as I think through my mechanics. I'll pick one of the range flags/nets and just use that as a general target. I rarely have a "can't miss" area. I will say I can typically play away from trouble on one side of the course, but when I'm confronted with a hole with trouble on either side it becomes a total crapshoot as to whether I keep the ball in play.

I do typically hit the ball pretty well at the range. Not as good as most + cappers, but certainly better than my father or friends who are single digit handicappers. They laugh at the disparity between the range and course. It's mostly mental and they do have short games that are light years ahead of mine. When I was a junior golfer my on course ball striking was very good, but that's because I had confidence and played all the time. Now it's mostly range sessions and then a round every 2-3 weeks. So I think that plays a big part too. Just not getting on the course enough to build back my confidence. I'll still have the odd day where I shoot in the mid-70s, but I'm much more likely to post something like 83-90.

• Like 1

It's hard to play bad golf from the positions these guys had at impact. The strikes were also very solid and divots started well in front of the ball. It was a dead giveaway. It's a position most 5 handicaps don't have.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Obee i hope its ok to post a video.

Just for a bit of fun, here's the back swing of a local golfer, on the aesthetics alone what people would think his handicap is

Here's his swing in all its glory, he's a scratch golfer now and played as low as +2 (British handicap), hes played at the highest level in Scottish amateur game and has his name on both his clubs championship boards numerous times

• Like 1

Eegads!!

Obee, if I may ask, what are the average carry distances with a 28 degree club, of these gentlemen?

I only ask, because I am curious. If you hit it straight, how far do you REALLY need to hit it to be a plus cap, on the types of courses you guys play?

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Obee, if I may ask, what are the average carry distances with a 28 degree club, of these gentlemen?

I only ask, because I am curious. If you hit it straight, how far do you REALLY need to hit it to be a plus cap, on the types of courses you guys play?

So a 5-iron?

For everyone in that group except number 2, that's a 190ish carry club. Number 2 is 175ish?

So a 5-iron?

For everyone in that group except number 2, that's a 190ish carry club. Number 2 is 175ish?

Yeah, a five iron. I just wanted to clarify for those who may not be aware that is what a 28 degree club is called, some might think that is a seven iron....

190 or 175. That's not an obscene amount of club head speed. That's decent club head speed AND hitting it in the center. That's what I figured.

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

There's a great book called "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose." Talks about a great approach to every shot albeit on the range on in a round. It supports your point of what you intend to do with a shot in terms of trajectory, shape, etc.

Bunch of Adam Scott look-alikes.

Seriously, 3/5 don't look like they could break 80 until you look at impact, and even then 1 doesn't look like he could.

Go figure.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

And you don't get to hit 10 8 irons in a row on the course.... :)

• Like 1

Funny and true.

I started at 20.

First guy at 5

2nd guy 28

3rd guy 10

4th guy 14

5th guy 23

I started at 20.

First guy at 5

2nd guy 28

3rd guy 10

4th guy 14

5th guy 23

You should probably also mention how much golf these guys actually play. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I started at 20.

First guy at 5

2nd guy 28

3rd guy 10

4th guy 14

5th guy 23

Immaterial!!!

I started at 20.

First guy at 5

2nd guy 28

3rd guy 10

4th guy 14

5th guy 23

Immaterial!!!

For 99% of us, the amount of golf played by this group cumulative is not realistic or possible at all. To me, probably the most important factor of this whole experiment.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

OB runs with a skilled crowd so I'll go with all less than 3 indexes.

BTW, nice index by your name Sir! You're obviously having a great year. Congrats!

Thanks. :-)

Put me at just about any other golf course in California, and I'm a +1.5 to +2. My home course is absolutely the worst course I've ever played for me to score. More than any course I know, it benefits those who can hit the ball high and far. Neither of which I do well! LOL

.... Think I'll put you on Torrey Pines - back tee - on a day similar to when I was completely destroyed by the course..... Soft fairways, juicy rough - and pin placements that for me required a 9 iron at max.... Yes, I was stupid. And I missed the fairway left all day, so I had a bunch of 200-220 yard approaches from juicy stuff....

Turned up as a single player, got grouped with two others. No 1: which tee want to play? Me: I can play any. 3rd guy: I'd like to play as far back as possible....

Short story: we all got beaten.

OB runs with a skilled crowd so I'll go with all less than 3 indexes.

BTW, nice index by your name Sir! You're obviously having a great year. Congrats!

Thanks. :-)

Put me at just about any other golf course in California, and I'm a +1.5 to +2. My home course is absolutely the worst course I've ever played for me to score. More than any course I know, it benefits those who can hit the ball high and far. Neither of which I do well! LOL

.... Think I'll put you on Torrey Pines - back tee - on a day similar to when I was completely destroyed by the course..... Soft fairways, juicy rough - and pin placements that for me required a 9 iron at max.... Yes, I was stupid. And I missed the fairway left all day, so I had a bunch of 200-220 yard approaches from juicy stuff....

Turned up as a single player, got grouped with two others. No 1: which tee want to play? Me: I can play any. 3rd guy: I'd like to play as far back as possible....

Short story: we all got beaten.

I think I said: "almost any other." :-)

Shot 78 from the Sunday tees/pins the day after the Buick a few years ago, and played quite poorly. Shot 74 at The Byron Nelson course the day after the tourney the same way (pins/tees identical).

The Byron Nelson course suits my game much better than Torrey. :-)

I started at 20.

First guy at 5

2nd guy 28

3rd guy 10

4th guy 14

5th guy 23

Immaterial!!!

For 99% of us, the amount of golf played by this group cumulative is not realistic or possible at all. To me, probably the most important factor of this whole experiment.

Most of us average 3x a week. That is, actually, doable for plenty of people. Especially when the days are longer. But it has to be a priority. And if you are married, you have to have a spouse that supports you.