Garmin Approach X40

I have had my X40 for about 2 weeks and I am pleased with it. The auto shot feature does not work all the time for me and now the vibration for the alarm and when I hit a mile running/walking, it is silent as well. I cannot see where to change that setting at all to turn the vibration on/off. Anyone else have this happen to them?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out after some testing, my particular X40 was defective. Bad gps that would give some periodic wild numbers. For example vibrate or shake it and yardage would occasionally jump by 30-50 yards.

Garmin was very good to deal with on the phone with US based customer support. Sending me a new one with return shipment for defective unit. A new one arrives this week and is hopefully perfect.

Happy to report the replacement X40 works perfectly on the course. I'm not getting much in the way of missed shots like some others report. Still some bugs with recording moderate and intense exercise but garmin is working on it.

According to garmin it's 10 hours w/ GPS use and 5 days with just the activity tracking. I've never gone close to 5 days w/o playing golf so can't attest to the later but I'd say that the time w/ GPS seems a bit optimistic to me. I haven't done more than 18 holes w/ it but based on the indicator after than, I might guess 8 hours would be all I'd expect.

According to garmin it's 10 hours w/ GPS use and 5 days with just the activity tracking. I've never gone close to 5 days w/o playing golf so can't attest to the later but I'd say that the time w/ GPS seems a bit optimistic to me. I haven't done more than 18 holes w/ it but based on the indicator after than, I might guess 8 hours would be all I'd expect.

I'd agree 8 hours golf and 5 days activity tracking (no GPS).

I make sure it's charged before I golf.

Why can't they make it like the vivofit with a battery instead of needing to charge it all the time.

I'm tired of having to charge everything! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyhow I want to try the x40 but prolly going to wait until version 2.

Why can't they make it like the vivofit with a battery instead of needing to charge it all the time.

GPS and continuous heart rate monitoring uses a lot of battery. The x40 is exponentially more sophisticated and feature rich than the vivofit. Nothing wrong with the vivofit as it's very nice, works for a year or more on 1 battery, but by comparison it's basic.

GPS and continuous heart rate monitoring uses a lot of battery. The x40 is exponentially more sophisticated and feature rich than the vivofit. Nothing wrong with the vivofit as it's very nice, works for a year or more on 1 battery, but by comparison it's basic.

For sure I get that part. I'd rather change a three dollar battery every six months then have to charge it every time I played 18 (or every five days).

Even my S1 barely gets thru a third round.

They are on the right track tho.

The size is better than the watches.

They need to improve the golf part of the app/software.

They should use the clasp the vivofit uses as well.

For sure I get that part. I'd rather change a three dollar battery every six months then have to charge it every time I played 18 (or every five days).

You'd just have to change the battery every 27-36 holes, it wouldn't last anywhere near 6 mo w/ GPS use.

Although I do hear you and I agree 100% that the current longevity w/ GPS is annoying and I also would like to see it improve.

You'd just have to change the battery every 27-36 holes, it wouldn't last anywhere near 6 mo w/ GPS use.

Although I do hear you and I agree 100% that the current longevity w/ GPS is annoying and I also would like to see it improve.

Definitely agree with you both. Battery technology is getting better but still behind the advancement of devices.

Certainly a GPS device that you wear daily requires some additional charging discipline before you golf or use the GPS. It is one of the drawbacks of a multifunction device like this. Whereas with my neo-x I only wore it for golf, so when I got home from golf I'd just throw it back on the charger so it was ready for the next round.

Thanks for the reviews guys. Anyone directly compared this with the Approach S6? Which did you like better? My main uses will be looking distance to greens, tracking individual club distances, stat tracking (GIR, FIR, putts), and scoring.

I have never put my hands on the S6, but I don't think it has shot tracking.

Thanks for the reviews guys. Anyone directly compared this with the Approach S6? Which did you like better? My main uses will be looking distance to greens, tracking individual club distances, stat tracking (GIR, FIR, putts), and scoring.

I have not, but the S6 does not appear to have autoshot, so I'd say club tracking is all manual. Looks like it can do GIR, FIR, Putts and scoring like the x40.

I will tell you from personal experience with club tracking on the x40, you almost have to look at it shot by shot and understand the conditions and circumstances of each shot.... for example using a 5 iron to punch something low 100 yards, when its normal full distance is something much greater, or digging one out of the rough and having it go 25% shorter than normal or duffing one. The x40 provides summary stats for each club on the Garmin Connect website, but I've found those stats generally useless due to the aforementioned.

Thanks. Well, manual input would be better than because you could just avoid charting the shots that weren't a full shot with that club that you'd want to count towards distance. So maybe the S6 is better in that regard since the X40 only does auto shot not manual entry? Both will record enough info to go to a computer after the round and show a play by play of a course/hole birds eye view and where each shot went and what club you hit what distance for each hole on the course, right?

Thanks. Well, manual input would be better than because you could just avoid charting the shots that weren't a full shot with that club that you'd want to count towards distance. So maybe the S6 is better in that regard since the X40 only does auto shot not manual entry? Both will record enough info to go to a computer after the round and show a play by play of a course/hole birds eye view and where each shot went and what club you hit what distance for each hole on the course, right?

Oh you can measure shots manually on the x40 as well. I do not believe you get any type of birds eye view with the s6. When I say manual, I mean you can measure the distance of a shot and write it down along with the club used:)

I've used my Garmin X40 for a few rounds now. So I like it enough that I'm keeping it. I don't typically wear a watch, but now wears the X40 daily as my watch, fitness tracker, heart rate monitor, etc. Of course I wear it for my weekly golf rounds.

Quick Review:

- Good enough GPS function, but not perfect. I held out on getting a Garmin watch mainly because the earlier models don't provide any hazard information. I was excited that the S20 and X40 finally do, but the truth is I don't use them that much. The fact is that it's inconvenient to switch to another screen just to be able to read the semi-cryptic hazard info. I had been a long time user of Golfshot on my iPhone, and I think in terms of having a full feature golf GPS, that's still the king. I just wish someone would one day come out with a dedicated golf gps unit or watch running the Gofshot software. I got tired of using my iPhone as a golf GPS. I also wish the X40 would provide the slope adjusted distance as my Garmin G7 gps unit, and allow me to keep the entire foursome's scores instead of just mine.

- I actually do enjoy the automatic shot tracking feature. Sure it's not perfect, and will not pick up putts, short chips, or short punch shots, but it picks up most of my other shots and allows me to look at them afterward to see how I could've improved. I do wish that Garmin Connect would allow me to add missing shots after the round instead of just being able to delete shots and edit club. Also I find it annoying sometime that when I'm selecting the club I had just used, due to the small screen size, I would try to scroll to a different club and yet ending up pressing the wrong club selection by accident, only having no way to go back. Am I missing something here in not being able to go back to change my club selection on X40 after accidentally choosing the wrong club? I know I can change it on Garmin Connect later, but that's still kind of annoying and should be a simple bug to fix.

I've used my Garmin X40 for a few rounds now. So I like it enough that I'm keeping it. I don't typically wear a watch, but now wears the X40 daily as my watch, fitness tracker, heart rate monitor, etc. Of course I wear it for my weekly golf rounds.

Quick Review:

- Good enough GPS function, but not perfect. I held out on getting a Garmin watch mainly because the earlier models don't provide any hazard information. I was excited that the S20 and X40 finally do, but the truth is I don't use them that much. The fact is that it's inconvenient to switch to another screen just to be able to read the semi-cryptic hazard info. I had been a long time user of Golfshot on my iPhone, and I think in terms of having a full feature golf GPS, that's still the king. I just wish someone would one day come out with a dedicated golf gps unit or watch running the Gofshot software. I got tired of using my iPhone as a golf GPS. I also wish the X40 would provide the slope adjusted distance as my Garmin G7 gps unit, and allow me to keep the entire foursome's scores instead of just mine.

- I actually do enjoy the automatic shot tracking feature. Sure it's not perfect, and will not pick up putts, short chips, or short punch shots, but it picks up most of my other shots and allows me to look at them afterward to see how I could've improved. I do wish that Garmin Connect would allow me to add missing shots after the round instead of just being able to delete shots and edit club. Also I find it annoying sometime that when I'm selecting the club I had just used, due to the small screen size, I would try to scroll to a different club and yet ending up pressing the wrong club selection by accident, only having no way to go back. Am I missing something here in not being able to go back to change my club selection on X40 after accidentally choosing the wrong club? I know I can change it on Garmin Connect later, but that's still kind of annoying and should be a simple bug to fix.

You are right, there isn't a way to edit the club on the watch. As you said you have to wait until you are logged into Garmin connect. As for adding missed shots, I'm not sure how that would work since the watch didn't register your position and you'd be estimating at best.

I agree, having hazard data sounds nice and I appreciate it when needed, but in reality it's used minimally, just as I found on my Neo-x.

I'm glad it doesn't' offer slope adjustment, because that would make the device non-conforming.

Honestly as much as I like the X40 as an "all in one device" with golf, fitness and GPS tracking, if I just needed something for golf and not fitness, then I'd probably buy one of Garmin's dedicated golf devices, simply because it would be bigger and have longer battery life. However for me, because I also wanted a fitness tracker then this is the ideal product. I'll admit auto shot and stat tracking is also pretty cool even if not perfect. The direction Garmin is moving with the X40 is rather exciting and I'd guess we'll see more like this in other future products.

As another poster said, and I agree, this is a rather quiet product roll out and I feel us early adopters are beta testers. I will also say that their telephone support is excellent and I appreciate talking to State side people that are knowledgeable.

currently in the market for a gps watch. x40 seems pretty buggy and interface causes more headaches that it helps. how often are new versions typically released. anything rumored to be coming out soon. not spending 400 bucks on a watch either. i think $200 is the sweet spot....especially when many phone apps can do more. i just tire of getting the phone out of pocket and constantly going through lock screen and opening app to get yardages.

wants in a watch:

accuracy

quickness in picking up yardage

distance to multiple hazards

easily readable in sunlight

an interface that doesn't require many unnecessary manual touches.

auto shot tracking so that when i'm at ball i can see how far it traveled from previous shot....without having to choose track before and after shot

front, center, back determined by direct line from your ball to green

comfortable...not big and bulky

what i don't care about:

heartrate

fitness tracker

being able to wear as regular watch

so any recommendations? anything on the horizon?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Quick Review:

You are right, there isn't a way to edit the club on the watch. As you said you have to wait until you are logged into Garmin connect. As for adding missed shots, I'm not sure how that would work since the watch didn't register your position and you'd be estimating at best.

I agree, having hazard data sounds nice and I appreciate it when needed, but in reality it's used minimally, just as I found on my Neo-x.

I'm glad it doesn't' offer slope adjustment, because that would make the device non-conforming.

Honestly as much as I like the X40 as an "all in one device" with golf, fitness and GPS tracking, if I just needed something for golf and not fitness, then I'd probably buy one of Garmin's dedicated golf devices, simply because it would be bigger and have longer battery life. However for me, because I also wanted a fitness tracker then this is the ideal product. I'll admit auto shot and stat tracking is also pretty cool even if not perfect. The direction Garmin is moving with the X40 is rather exciting and I'd guess we'll see more like this in other future products.

As another poster said, and I agree, this is a rather quiet product roll out and I feel us early adopters are beta testers. I will also say that their telephone support is excellent and I appreciate talking to State side people that are knowledgeable.

I agree with you. I also bought the X40 mainly because I want a daily watch and simple fitness features. Otherwise I already have the Garmin G7.

BTW, even without the slope feature, I believe that it's still non-conforming since it allows you to receive messages and notifications. That already makes this device non-conforming. That's why I was hoping for the slope feature also since it's already non-conforming.

Hi everyone,

I'm leaning toward an x40 and am comfortable with what I hear about the golf side of things. I don't particularly care about having a daily fitness tracker that I wear all the time, but I do use a Garmin watch for running. It uses a chest strap for HR and I'd love to be able to ditch that.

Can anybody comment with some details about using the x40 to track runs? I know it'll lack many (most?) of the features of Garmin's running/multisport lines but if it has at least a basic running feature set that syncs to Connect I think I'd be fine. Since it's so golf-centric, I can't find much about its running capabilities other than "you can also use it to track runs!"...

Thanks,

Tim

BTW, even without the slope feature, I believe that it's still non-conforming since it allows you to receive messages and notifications. That already makes this device non-conforming. That's why I was hoping for the slope feature also since it's already non-conforming.

No, that does not make the device non-conforming.

Hi everyone,

I'm leaning toward an x40 and am comfortable with what I hear about the golf side of things. I don't particularly care about having a daily fitness tracker that I wear all the time, but I do use a Garmin watch for running. It uses a chest strap for HR and I'd love to be able to ditch that.

Can anybody comment with some details about using the x40 to track runs? I know it'll lack many (most?) of the features of Garmin's running/multisport lines but if it has at least a basic running feature set that syncs to Connect I think I'd be fine. Since it's so golf-centric, I can't find much about its running capabilities other than "you can also use it to track runs!"...

Thanks,

Tim

Heart rate can be a little wonky at times but Ive generally found it to be reasonably correct. I doubt it's nearly as" continuously" accurate as the chest monitor that actually picks up electronic impulses.

If you turn on the GPS while running or whatever outside, it does give you pace, calories, duration, lap notifications at 1mile increments (which I believe is user adjustable), and distance. What does your running watch do? I can check mine against that over the weekend and get back to you.

Heart rate can be a little wonky at times but Ive generally found it to be reasonably correct. I doubt it's nearly as" continuously" accurate as the chest monitor that actually picks up electronic impulses.

If you turn on the GPS while running or whatever outside, it does give you pace, calories, duration, lap notifications at 1mile increments (which I believe is user adjustable), and distance. What does your running watch do? I can check mine against that over the weekend and get back to you.

Actually, the things you listed pretty much cover the necessities--I have a ForeRunner 620, so it does all kinds of stuff (cadence, programmable workouts, etc) but I find that I rarely use any of it. I like to see my pace while I run, I like the notification/summary at each mile, and I like being able to see the data in Garmin Connect when I'm finished. So it sounds like the x40 should be okay for my needs (which means I could sell my running watch and pay for a few rounds!)

If I think of anything else I may post again, but I'm probably close enough to just pull the trigger and find out for myself. I appreciate the quick reply.

You are absolutely correct on complaining about the shot summary. This has been a major complaint since day 1 on the S20 and still is not fixed.

Wait a sec, you mean there is no where to see how far you hit your clubs on average of what you have recorded? Isn't that the ENTIRE point of tracking them?

There are a couple ways to get the data easily. Within the Garmin Connect site you can access club averages under "Gear." I personally don't find averages helpful since the data contains everything, including; impact of terrain elevation change, hits out of the rough vs fairway, mis-hits, punches, bounces off cart paths, trees etc. A better way, in my opinion, is to look at each round hole by hole and do your own analysis and average calculations based on shot conditions and results.

Maybe I'm missing something but that seems to work better than using just straight averages without some analytic intelligence.

And if I wanted to have it NOT record a shot into my distance averages for a certain club is there a way to retain the shot for the scoring summary at the end where it shows the birds eye view of the hole and where your balls went, but NOT have it keep that distance factored into a club by club average? For instance: a big whiff that isnt representative of how far you actually hit it, or a half shot.

I guess one way would be to make a "dummy club" that actually doesnt exist. For instance, if you dont actually carry a 7 wood, just put a 7 wood into your virtual bag and anytime you hit a shot you dont want to be factored into your averages just say you hit it with your 7 wood and ignore all yardages recorded for this club. I think Im getting the X40 and this will be my strategy unless theres an easier way....

And if I wanted to have it NOT record a shot into my distance averages for a certain club is there a way to retain the shot for the scoring summary at the end where it shows the birds eye view of the hole and where your balls went, but NOT have it keep that distance factored into a club by club average? For instance: a big whiff that isnt representative of how far you actually hit it, or a half shot.

I guess one way would be to make a "dummy club" that actually doesnt exist. For instance, if you dont actually carry a 7 wood, just put a 7 wood into your virtual bag and anytime you hit a shot you dont want to be factored into your averages just say you hit it with your 7 wood and ignore all yardages recorded for this club. I think Im getting the X40 and this will be my strategy unless theres an easier way....

If auto shot is on it will always show the distance in the birds eye view even if you don't select a club, it just doesn't display a club with the distance. So that is a way to exclude club specific data. Your dummy club idea would also work and you can add that in the Garmin Connect website and updates your device upon sync. Both decent ideas.