My SC Custom Shop Experience

tigercub

UPDATED!!
Since there is an overwhelming number of people bashing the Custom Shop lately, ranging anywhere from complaints about their pricing to simple/correctable mistakes with paintfill colors, I figured I would post a positive experience that I recently had with them.

In December 2006, I bought a Circa 62 head that was the original gun blue finish. While I take great care of my equipment, I didn't want the hassle of trying to keep the head oiled and protected at all times so I sent the head to the Custom Shop to be refinished to the pro platinum finish. Everything I had read about the pro platinum finish was that it was durable and was going to be much easier to maintain than the original finish. A couple months later (holidays extended the turnaround time), I had my putter exactly as I had requested (including the paintfill color and locations since I was detailed in my request), but with a red milled series headcover instead of the navy blue Custom Shop one that I had ordered. No problem...after a simple call I was told that the navy headcovers were out of stock and they'd mail me one once they were in. Two weeks later the navy headcover arrived so I got an extra headcover for my troubles. Considering that it was the middle of February with over a foot of snow on the ground at the time, it was a minor issue. Most importantly, the putter itself was beautifully refinished.

In November 2008, while I was cleaning my clubs after a round, I noticed that there was what appeared to be some rust stains coming through the back side of the putter around the bumpers. For anyone that is familiar with the pro platinum finish, that part is a matte finish to reduce glare. There wasn't any damage to the finish so how it could begin to rust like that was beyond me. The only reasonable explanation was that it was because of the fertilizer on the greens during a round I played that day. A couple weeks went by and because I like to keep my equipment looking good, I was getting irritated by the rust spots. Mind you, they were hardly even noticeable when you held the putter close so it's not like I could see it from address, but it was bothering me. I emailed the Custom Shop and they recommended that I send it in for inspection. A couple weeks have gone by since I sent it to them so I called yesterday and was told that they're going to refinish the putter for free. FREE!

Now, most people on here will begin by saying that the cost of the refinish to begin with was expensive and that the quality of the refinish was poor since it rusted. Yes, it was pricey and maybe the finish shouldn't have rusted, but the fact that they're standing behind their service and refinishing the putter since they feel it's the right thing to do is worth noting. Look at the dates above...it was 2 years from the date I originally sent the putter in before it started rusting and yet they're standing behind their product and service for their customer. I think it's pretty remarkable and wanted to share my experience since there have been numerous complaints about the Custom Shop. I hope people will see that they're one of the many options to have a putter refinished and that they shouldn't be dismissed because a paintfill came back wrong. The truth is, they're probably dealing with a huge amount of orders and mistakes can happen in any business. My experience above is what makes me want to keep using them and feel that the money I spent on it was well worth it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Cameron post is not official until Jick has posted...haha

You're right, I expected a high level of service, but my point is that they delivered. Your cynicism towards anything Cameron aside, do you not think it's helpful for others to see a positive experience?

It's very helpful to post this experience. It will definitely bring back confidence to those who doubted the Studio.

A Cameron post is not official until Jick has posted...haha

Considering his thread about the fall of the Cameron empire couldn't be more wrong. He started the thread over a year ago and Scotty is being whored more then ever.

Well I don't know where you get you "whored more than ever" statement. But my visits to eBay show less and less bids on Cameron items more than ever, and the 009's and GSS's are selling for lower than they ever were. Whether the fall of Cameron or the fall of Wall Street is to blame is another story.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a negative thread and not bring up that dreaded "fall" again.

The point is, someone went to the Custom Shop / Studio, and got great service even 2 years down the line. Now that is awesome service that deserves to be celebrated. If Cameron were beside me, I'd give him a pat in the back.

Perhaps those other companies who have horror story customer service can learn a lesson or two from Cameron.

I have had nothing but good experiences in my dealings with Scotty's Studio for restoration work. In fact, I have sent several customers there who wanted their putters brought back to original condition and had very exacting pictures in their minds of what they were hoping for. Not one has ever come back and had issues with my recommendation.

If you have a Cameron that you want taken back to original condition, new shaft, band, grip and cover, why would you go anywhere else?

I'll admit that their choices are limited on the finishes that they will put on each specific putter, but there is a reason for that, and it is valid.

If they danced to every tune that a customer wanted, they would be so backed up that you'd never see your putter, again.

For the price, it is a decent deal. I think that the biggest complaints you hear are from guys who are looking to buy low, have it restored and turn a putter for a profit. It USED to be a very viable option. Now, with the price increase, it is not quite as easy, but don't fault Scotty for this. The market changed, and costs for most things have gone up.

The work they have done for me in the past has been nothing short of incredible.

Just my 2-cents on this subject, no more.

LaMont in AZ

I have had nothing but good experiences in my dealings with Scotty's Studio for restoration work. In fact, I have sent several customers there who wanted their putters brought back to original condition and had very exacting pictures in their minds of what they were hoping for. Not one has ever come back and had issues with my recommendation.

If you have a Cameron that you want taken back to original condition, new shaft, band, grip and cover, why would you go anywhere else?

I'll admit that their choices are limited on the finishes that they will put on each specific putter, but there is a reason for that, and it is valid.

If they danced to every tune that a customer wanted, they would be so backed up that you'd never see your putter, again.

For the price, it is a decent deal. I think that the biggest complaints you hear are from guys who are looking to buy low, have it restored and turn a putter for a profit. It USED to be a very viable option. Now, with the price increase, it is not quite as easy, but don't fault Scotty for this. The market changed, and costs for most things have gone up.

The work they have done for me in the past has been nothing short of incredible.

Just my 2-cents on this subject, no more.

LaMont in AZ

Well said sir. I am definitely in agreement with what you have to say.

First of all, the original re-finish may have been done correctly. Something else could have caused the rust. It was nice of them to re-finish it for you, they didn't have to do that. That does not take away the fact that they still may have some quality control issues. I have sent over 30 putters to the Custom Shop. While I have not had any major problems, I have had issues with the incorrect paintfill, sloppy paintfill, and stamps not being put in the correct spot even though they said that I could have the stamp in the requested location. They will take care of the problem if you call. The problem is that they are trying to maximize profit and pump out as many putters as they can. I have been a Cameron fan for a long time, but it is getting harder for me to justify the price of a putter that is made by Titleist with Scotty Camerons name on it. The fact you need 2000-5000 $'s for a real Cameron is ridiculous. He spends more time making divot tools, bag tags, clothing, wallets, ball markers, and Christmas tree ornaments than he does putters. It would be nice if he offered an Oil Can Newport, or a Black Oxide 009 at a reasonable price instead of working on his art projects. I am done buying Titleist Camerons. If you want a true custom putter, you need to go with one of the smaller boutique putter shops. They will give you the quality of a tour putter at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this story has gotten much better! I just picked up my putter from FedEx (turn around time of just over a month) and it was refinished perfectly! On first inspection, the paint fills were done exactly as before, the new Pro Platinum finish looks beautiful, and they even re-milled the face and it's now much deeper milling than what was originally on there. Then, I look up the shaft to see a new grip! When it was first at the Custom Shop, I had them put on a navy Custom Shop grip which after 2 seasons of use was pretty worn down, but not anymore! Then, I notice that the shaft band has been replaced which made me wonder if they replaced the shaft too. There were the typical marks on the shaft from standard use and getting in and out of the bag before, but not anymore...a new shaft too!

So what starts out as sending my putter back to have them inspect the rust that I had noticed, turns out to be a complete Pro Platinum refinish, remilling of the face, new shaft, new shaft band, new grip, and they adjusted the lie angle (2* flat) for me while it was there......ALL AT NO COST!

Again, I just want people to see how Cameron's services can really treat a customer. I know some here would only expect this for the amount they charge, but how many of your boutique restoration services would have gone over the top with all the extras after 2 years since the work was first done? I doubt many.

If I had a camera other than my phone, I would definitely post some pics, but I can't post anything of great quality right now.

Again, I just want people to see how Cameron's services can really treat a customer. I know some here would only expect this for the amount they charge, but how many of your boutique restoration services would have gone over the top with all the extras after 2 years since the work was first done? I doubt many.

very true, however, i've checked the cost to restore a putter through cameron ($200+ for my tei3!) and the cost to get it refinished through another source (around $60-70 with round trip shipping). for $60-70 every couple of years, i can deal with that.

on a side note, i've never had to deal with cameron's customer service dept.-- i've heard many different stories, though. i'll make judgement whenever i have an issue come up (i've always received everything i've ordered in a timely fashion!). :)

My experience with them has been spot on. You get what you pay for with the Custom Shop. It is the only good option if you are looking to keep your Scotty as original. Most after market work done outside of the Custom Shop no matter how good will have some negative effect on value down the road.