Last 6 major winners used 2 wedge setups. Time for a rule change?

SuperCarl

I had probably played every imaginable combination at one point in my life. Started with a PW/56. Went to a P/55/60, then a whole lot of others - P/52/56/60 was the most common - but I found I was most consistent when I had 2 more wedges after the PW. I started with a 54/60 combo. I used the 60 from all greenside shots and 90yds and in and the 54 from 95-115. I went to a 52/58 setup lately because it gives me the best gaps and I found that I can take off yds from the 58 easier than I could with the 60. I also went to a single length wedge system - PW, 52 and 58 are all 36" - so the feeling is all the same with full swings, chips, pitches and everything in between. I think that alone has helped my short game more than anything. I would constantly thin the high loft clubs at their shorter length but not nearly as much lately. I just picked up a 50 and 54 to experiment a little. I just have to figure out which club to take out of the top end of my bag if the 4 wedge setup works better.

Not to be overlooked... I have 9PGSL, and they are all spec'd identically. Works wonders. For all the "single length" craze, I truly believe your scoring clubs are the most important to get the same length. To add control, use the extra-long grips; the Ping wedge grips that have the thumb markers are outstanding for consistency in taking a few yards off if needed.

I'm a big fan of keeping wedge grips as taper-less as possible to keep the same feel when you hold it down farther. I've used the Ping wedge grips before but I don't remember them being all that good feeling for me.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

PW doesn't count here. It gets lumped in with the irons. Playing two wedges is (PW not counting as a "wedge" despite the name, plus....) sand wedge around 53-55 and lob wedge around 58-60.

If it's not a wedge why do all of the golf manufacturers, save Hogan, call it that and stamp PW on the club? :read:

Because in the modern numbering/naming convention, PW comes after 9 without regard to the design of the club. Furthermore, a modern, set matching PW has the same design as the short irons and a similar loft and thus can be considered as a mere continuation of the short irons.

If a set matching PW were a true wedge, it'd be designed more like a specialty wedge (e.g., a Vokey or 588) and have loft in the 50*-53* range.

Well Jimmy Walker used 3 Vokeys. 3-9 716 TMB and 3 Vokeys...ergo...3 "wedges".

Also, irons can include a set matching sand and lob wedge if I wanted, so would that mean i'm using NO wedges by your defintion?

No. Once you hit a 50* loft, the clubs usually at least pretend to be wedges, even if the don't have flexible design of a specialty wedge.

A Vokey 48* is closer to a wedge than most set matching wedges, to be sure.

To an extent, I try to take a functional approach to the definition of a wedge. So, if you hit a 40 yd pitches with your set matching 46* PW, then I can't really argue with you if you want to call it a wedge. To an extent I also consider most clubs at or over 50* to be wedges, though there are some that I think may be better called super high lofted irons.

The only reason why I'm even discussing how to define the term wedge is because we (meaning GolfWRX posters) don't have a common definition and thus the conversation is cumbersome because we're always having to say if we're including the nominal PW in the discussion. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't care about it enough to post.

I've done it all.

P, 56

P, 56, 60

P, 52, 56, 60

P, 52, 58

P, 54, 60

P, 51, 54, 57, 60

P, 52, 58, 64

And literally have tweaked every single one of those lofts a degree or two here or there within that wedge configuration. 6° gaps? Sure. 3° gaps? Why not. 2, 3, 4, 5 wedges???? Give it a shot. And what did I learn?

Well, I'm not really sure what I learned, but I'll try to make something up that sounds eloquent.

None of it matters. Not really. Not to us. I mean, I have my preferences with how the wedges should be set up and I suggest that to my students, but that doesn't mean I'm right. We are all going to have days where we end up in between yardages, either at the top end of the bag, or the bottom end. We are all going to have days where the ball ends up in a lie that we don't like to deal with, multiple times. It's golf, and even though we want to, sometimes, you just can't shoehorn this swing idea or that bag setup into your game.

Here's my rule: Make sure that you have a wedge (or wedges) in your bag that allow you to hit your favorite style of short game shot as often as possible under the conditions that you face most often. If that means you only need one wedge to hit "your" pitch shot and bunker shot, congrats! You get to load up the bag somewhere else. If that means you need 3 wedges to hit "your" pitch and bunker shots, congrats! You are going to have really nice tight gaps in your wedges! Either way, you'll be fine.

PS. I purposely didn't say anything about chip shots and partial wedges for a reason. Simply put, you should be able to hit a chip shot with most any club in the bag and, as far as partial wedges, lol, you aren't really out there practicing those that much anyway, are you? Just lay up to 100yds! (said in jest, but there is a bit of truth buried deep down there, isn't there?)

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Everyone should just copy my wedge setup. Money!

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3, 5Wood Ventus Black TR 7S

Titleist T200U 2 and 3 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 4-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Super Select NP (ordered)

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

PW doesn't count here. It gets lumped in with the irons. Playing two wedges is (PW not counting as a "wedge" despite the name, plus....) sand wedge around 53-55 and lob wedge around 58-60.
If it's not a wedge why do all of the golf manufacturers, save Hogan, call it that and stamp PW on the club? :read:
Because in the modern numbering/naming convention, PW comes after 9 without regard to the design of the club. Furthermore, a modern, set matching PW has the same design as the short irons and a similar loft and thus can be considered as a mere continuation of the short irons. If a set matching PW were a true wedge, it'd be designed more like a specialty wedge (e.g., a Vokey or 588) and have loft in the 50*-53* range.
Well Jimmy Walker used 3 Vokeys. 3-9 716 TMB and 3 Vokeys...ergo...3 "wedges". Also, irons can include a set matching sand and lob wedge if I wanted, so would that mean i'm using NO wedges by your defintion?
No. Once you hit a 50* loft, the clubs usually at least pretend to be wedges, even if the don't have flexible design of a specialty wedge. A Vokey 48* is closer to a wedge than most set matching wedges, to be sure. To an extent, I try to take a functional approach to the definition of a wedge. So, if you hit a 40 yd pitches with your set matching 46* PW, then I can't really argue with you if you want to call it a wedge. To an extent I also consider most clubs at or over 50* to be wedges, though there are some that I think may be better called super high lofted irons. The only reason why I'm even discussing how to define the term wedge is because we (meaning GolfWRX posters) don't have a common definition and thus the conversation is cumbersome because we're always having to say if we're including the nominal PW in the discussion. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't care about it enough to post.

For most people their PW is essentially a 10i. It's a full swing club that goes a little shorter than their 9i, that they occasionally use for chipping, just like their 9i, 8i and 7i.

Taylormade Stealth 9* Driver | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 65g

Taylormade Stealth 15* 3 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade Stealth 19* 5 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade P790 UDI | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g

(Mizuno Fli-Hi 19* 3 iron | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g)

Taylormade P770 Irons 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S
Taylormade HiToe Wedges 52* & 58* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120S
Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport

well with the way irons are going, soon you will have a PW at 39 or 40 degrees. I really doubt you can consider that a wedge. I think 45 or 46 is the lowest loft i will consider something being a wedge.

I also like having less wedges, so when I shank it into the woods, I only have to 2 wedges instead of P, G1, G2, G3, S, L ;)

2016 WITB

TW driver diamana blue 73s
Vapor Flex 3w diamana s+ 70
712u 2i, 4i dg x100
Mp5 4-PW PX6.0
RTX 2.0 52, 58
Method 007 @ 33.5"

.... i think its set?!?!

I'm a 4 wedge (PW/50/54/58) kind of guy. I feel extremely comfortable with distances from 135 and in. I prefer to not hit my 50/54/58 on full shots but will if necessary. Unfortunately there are too many variables that affect my shot decision (wind/pin placement/hazards etc) so I believe in having many tools to get the job done. A hammer might be the best tool at building a house, but it isn't the only tool you need.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

It really doesn't matter. Technically none of the clubs in the whole bag are full swing clubs. The amount of times in a round that I take a full "stock" swing at a pin is virtually zero. After that it's really just bag setup preferences and how you like to have your gaps. I like to have relatively even gaps throughout the bag. The idea that less clubs/wedges leaves less room for decision making is silly. It doesn't make a difference. Every shot takes the same amount of decision-making no matter how many clubs you have in the bag. The less club options you have to execute a specific shot, then the more you have to be skilled at manipulating each Club. That's usually not a good thing for most amateurs. But the psyche is a strange thing and sometimes overcomes logic. Whatever you think works often does.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

In commentary on Sky last night, Butch Harmon said that Jimmy Walker was one of the only guys he knows who uses one wedge for every shot around the green from flop shots to low bump and runs, manipulating the club head with his fantastic hands.

I can remember when you had a 50* PW and 55* SW and that was it...I can't remember never having enough loft in my hand with a 55* SW. Having said that, as my PW is now 46* I usually play 52-58 but have just added an old 56* SW as it is easier to plug the distance gaps at the other end of the bag with the variety of woods, hybrids and driving irons.

I'm sure that can't be right.

Zac Johnson recommends just using one wedge

"Another word of wisdom: Get good with one of your wedges. Choose the one you're most comfortable with and practice with it the most. With so many loft and bounce options, it can be tough to decide which wedge is right for a given chip or pitch. Having confidence in your go-to wedge makes the job a whole lot easier."

Short Game coach James Ridyard recommends using just one - with a smash factor of one so that you are using the built in throwing ability from your genes, ie it will go the same amount as if you threw it.

In commentary on Sky last night, Butch Harmon said that Jimmy Walker was one of the only guys he knows who uses one wedge for every shot around the green from flop shots to low bump and runs, manipulating the club head with his fantastic hands.

I can remember when you had a 50* PW and 55* SW and that was it...I can't remember never having enough loft in my hand with a 55* SW. Having said that, as my PW is now 46* I usually play 52-58 but have just added an old 56* SW as it is easier to plug the distance gaps at the other end of the bag with the variety of woods, hybrids and driving irons.

I'm sure that can't be right.

Zac Johnson recommends just using one wedge

"Another word of wisdom: Get good with one of your wedges. Choose the one you're most comfortable with and practice with it the most. With so many loft and bounce options, it can be tough to decide which wedge is right for a given chip or pitch. Having confidence in your go-to wedge makes the job a whole lot easier."

Short Game coach James Ridyard recommends using just one - with a smash factor of one so that you are using the built in throwing ability from your genes, ie it will go the same amount as if you threw it.

There are two main schools of thought as I see it: use one wedge for all of your shots; or use one swing with various clubs. I have real difficulty hitting a 20 yard bump and run with even a 52* gap wedge and usually use 8-iron. If there is a bunker in the way, I use a slightly longer 'bump and run' swing with a wedge but I am much less consistent with a wedge in my hand.

I can see the benefits of both schools...the one wedge route would mean a lot more practice to master all the shots for me though.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I can't think of a single situation where simplicity is not better. For some people, simplicity is one swing with different clubs (as discussed above), for others simplicity is one club with different swings. Whatever works for each individual is the way to go, but for me switching from 3 wedges (52/56/60) to 2 (usually 52/58 but sometimes 54/60) changed my game and lowered my scores by about 5 shots a round.

Taylormade Stealth 9* Driver | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 65g

Taylormade Stealth 15* 3 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade Stealth 19* 5 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade P790 UDI | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g

(Mizuno Fli-Hi 19* 3 iron | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g)

Taylormade P770 Irons 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S
Taylormade HiToe Wedges 52* & 58* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120S
Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport

I went to a 4 wedge set up a while back as based on my shirt game. 54 for 100y and then 10-12 about that. Moved to a 58 from a 60 as pretty confident manipulating for around the greens. A few sets back Pw was 47 so 110 was a partial shot, but sets since pw has been 46 and now 45 with 9 iron accordingly stronger. So naturally now have a 50 Uw matching the irons and still feel like I have "2" wedges at the bottom since those match and the U matches the irons.

Also I can't find the article but it commented on wedges in that depending on the Tees/distances you are hitting from, if you most often are left with no more than a 7 iron in than play more wedges. If you are more than 7 iron in than put more options on the top end.

I tried the 4 wedges setup a few times and always go back to 3. I like partial shots more than full wedges and it gave me too many options. My wedge play didn't improve with 4 like I had hoped so in went back. Digging the wedge life again.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

This has come up at least three times this year. Again, of the top ten wedge players on the PGA Tour, 50% play 3 wedges and 50% play 4 wedges, and a few sometimes play 5 wedges at a course like Augusta.

They are all different and we are all different.

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever works for them, they know their game better than anyone. I play much shorter courses and like having 10 yard gaps for 120-110-100 since I get those yardages very often throughout a round, so I'll stick with my 50/54/58 setup.

i run into the same thing, but i just added a 68* for BIG flop shots to tight pins....had to pull the 17* hybrid to make room, but my bag is probably unusual, but gets the job done, and is based on my individual need...

Just kidding.

But it's an interesting fact. Does the streamlined training when using one GW/SW and one LW make a difference or is it just a coincidence?

I've been using a 52-56-60 setup all my life but I'm really curious about the 2 wedge setup. I don't need the extra wood but I could for sure need some help with my wedges. Maybe less tools and more familiarity with them is the way to go?

What's your thoughts about 2 or 3 wedge setups?

tried it and didn't work as well, but prolly have to give it alot more time to have it set in...just coincidence, I am sure there have been times when 3 wedges were winners back to back to back....etc

Been back to 3 wedges and am happy

I have played my last 3 rounds at level par. This is working for me...may not for you. I simplified and it worked. I am not Phil.

PW is 47.5

GW is 52

SW is 58

The SW does not get hit with a full swing unless it's from crap lie, or long bunker. It is the finesse club in my bag. The rest are flighted, like the rest of my irons, by my swing.

Downside? I "carry" an extra long iron I never use.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Kind of threw me for a loop here, I was thinking there's no way they're only using 2 wedges.

Upon inspection they are using 2 wedges in addition to the PW in their set, so they all really use 3 wedges. 3-4 is pretty much the norm.

I thought the whole point of this thread was to discuss the difference between a 2 and a 3 wedge set up. Saying everyone carries between 2 and 3 wedges (or 3 or 4 if you include the PW) doesn't really help :P .

Personally, I'm more and more curious about that 2 wedge idea. I'm pretty sure I could live well without my 51 if I had a 54 and a 58. I now uses a 51-56-60 set up. My only fear is that I'd miss the 60 too much. Anyone doing pw-54-60?

That sounds like something I'd like to try.

When you practice as much as these guys do you can reliably alter distance, trajectory, spin with only 2 wedges. Doesn't work for me.

Exactly this....I don't have the time to practice so I need every club I can get!

I hardly practice, but find it easier to just use two wedges. I don't see the need for small gaps from 50-60 degrees, a 5 to 6 degree gap is fine. The less wedges the less you think about it or think about hitting shots you probably can't.

If I need the precision of 3-4 degree gaps from 150-200 yards then I certainly need it inside 100 yards where the majority of shots are hit.

Well if you're winning majors, you aren't getting up and down too many times cause you're hitting 55-60 greens a tournament, if not more. Which is a $#!+ ton.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I went from PW/51/55/59 to PW/52/58 and have been playing significantly better. Never been happier

Around the greens...there is 58* (high and soft), 52* (mid with check), or any other club for bump and run.

Oftentimes I think fewer options are better for players.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

To me, wedges are even more personal than putting. Carry however many wedges allow you to execute the kind of shots you visualize.

I carry PW plus 4, and never hit any of them full out. I'm comfortable with lots of options. I'd really rather give something up at the top of the bag than limit my scoring clubs.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Whatever idriveahonda says should be automatically discredited and taken with no value what so ever because he is blackout drunk 95% of the time he plays..... :air_kiss:

That's interesting. You could argue that that's a good reason to carry fewer wedges--the better to cause less befuddlement in the drunkard's brain. Or you could argue that that's a good reason to carry more wedges--the better to not hurt your game if you leave one or two behind somewhere. Hmmm....

Young Waldo, your setup will definitely help people with a Rhythm issue,

No static at all... FF MM

Cheers!

Just an Old Steely Dan Fan

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

A little secret from the old days. Players like Jack, Hogan and I think Watson for a while played with a 51-53 degree PW and a 57-58 degree SW. the specs may have been listed as 55-56 on the SW but they like some extra loft.

This translates well into the modern set with many carrying 58 degree wedges with a 52-54 gap wedge, the modern PW is nothing more than a 9 iron.

The more things change.....

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Whatever idriveahonda says should be automatically discredited and taken with no value what so ever because he is blackout drunk 95% of the time he plays..... :air_kiss:

And continually DRAGS YO Word not allowed while blackout drunk.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X