• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts through this tread:

Poor city park

South suburban greens are always terribly fast

Kennedy par 3

Did anyone play fox hollow today? I heard there was a shooting there today.

Poor city park

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 718 3 Iron
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-9
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM7F, 48.10
Titleist SM6F, 52.08
Titleist SM6S, 56.10
Titleist SM4, 60.07

Played Commonground this morning. Another average day...just can't get the putter going.

That said, that course is really starting to grow on me. Really tough pin placements today.

I actually played it for the Colorado AM last chance qualifier yesterday. Boy do those greens remind me of Colorado National a couple years ago..... Starting as bent and being slowly taken over by Poa. It looks like they're fighting the Poa, which typically means trying to starve it of nutrition. Such is life on a new golf course in colorado.

I like the layout there but the green complexes really drive me nuts on a few holes. It seems like they designed the hardest green complexes for the hardest holes. 5, 6, 14, and 15 are some of the hardest holes tee to green and they still put the toughest greens on those holes as well. It's a good course for the price and location but I just can't help and think "Meh" when I'm playing it.

This wasn't any of you guys, was it? If so, I need backstory, ASAP. Also, why are there seven people in/around the same area on that hole?

Two weeks ago we were playing our tuesday night men's club and saw cops with lights on our 18th hole. Come to find out from the cart kids it was the exact same scenario with someone hitting into another group on the green. Too bad the neighbors called the cops instead of just letting them duke it out. Nice of those guys to at least shake hands and leave somewhat peacefully.

Two weeks ago we were playing our tuesday night men's club and saw cops with lights on our 18th hole. Come to find out from the cart kids it was the exact same scenario with someone hitting into another group on the green. Too bad the neighbors called the cops instead of just letting them duke it out. Nice of those guys to at least shake hands and leave somewhat peacefully.

I really want to know what was said to make them just shake hands.

And on your assessment of Commonground, it's pretty unspectacular in terms of scenery, and the layout is a little dull...but it's in pretty good shape (though I agree with your statement about the greens. Also, no one repairs their pitch marks on the greens.) The pin placements were brutal on some holes Sunday. I think one was cut maybe five feet from the apron of the green, on a tier, so you had an uphill putt to get at it, and if you ran long, you'd be forced to flop a shot and potentially have it run back down the hill. I appreciate the challenge, but it felt a bit unnecessary.

Brian - FYI just ordered 5 dz Vice Pro+. They'll arrive Friday (hopefully early) and hope to get them out on Friday. If not, this weekend for sure.

Do you have any of their hats? How do they fit? I have a big head (7 1/2) and tend to favor deeper hats.

Nice! I hope my glowing review doesn't lead you astray...and if you don't get on with them, hit me up. I might be willing to take them off your hands. I've always said that I'm not the type of player to get the REALLY subtle differences in balls, so in my side-by-side with at ProV1X, I didn't notice anything glaring that wouldn't warrant purchasing. I'm a sucker for design, first and foremost, and the ball looks like the business. It's nice to know you're likely the only one on the course with one as well, so finding yours in the long grass is a little easier, too. I think you'll dig them (and if you somehow don't, like I said, PM me and we can work out a deal). I've also put them up against the previous B330RXS and been happy in that comparison, too.

Wearing my navy hat now; just the original logo hat. I think you'll dig it. There were some complaints about the quality of the hats IRL versus what you see on the site...but in honesty, if you look at their style and how contrasty their photos are, there's basically no way you're getting something that rich looking in person. I don't find it to be much of a problem, but I'm not a nitpicker like that on relatively low-cost items like a $25 hat...but that's just me. That said, the hat will fit you perfectly. I've got a small noggin and prefer just a bit more shallow hats (which few seem to make) and the Vice caps keep that trend going. So it sits a little high on my head, but given that I'm used to it, it's not a deal breaker. I think you'll like what you get. FWIW, I got the mint green one for my little brother last Christmas and he's loved his as well.

Which hat are you thinking about getting?

I'm really curious what you think of the vice ball. Personally I don't notice a difference between balls when it comes to putting or full swing. However, I notice a HUUUUGGGEEE difference in short game spin between golf balls. I have yet to find one that spins the way the proV1 does when chipping. There are a couple that come close (B330, Chrome Soft) but I haven't found one that stacks up on the short game side. Let me know what you think, I'm really curious to see if it stacks up on that side considering the designer is from Titleist.

So I played a couple of rounds with the Vice ProPlus. I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. The ball is definitely a longer off the tee than the V1x, about the same distance with iron and wedges. I do like the stopping power of it into the green, and I think it stops better around the green. I don't notice the difference people referenced in regards to putting.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a head-to-head with the ProV1x but hope to soon.

Oh by the way, the hats are awesome!!

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

So I played a couple of rounds with the Vice ProPlus. I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. The ball is definitely a longer off the tee than the V1x, about the same distance with iron and wedges. I do like the stopping power of it into the green, and I think it stops better around the green. I don't notice the difference people referenced in regards to putting.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a head-to-head with the ProV1x but hope to soon.

Glad to hear you like them. Did you have any issues with shipping? I know a few other folks earlier in the summer couldn't seem to get their stuff in very quickly. I assume the fit on the hats is good?

Played at Wellshire on Sunday. Holy schnikey the greens are fast!

Toughest match play in my career. 1-up/1-down all round. On the 18th, all-square after a horrible 3-putt on 17, I stripe a drive down the right side of the fairway, 7-iron to pin-high 15 feet away. Tap-in birdie for the (Samuel L Jackson) win.

Everyone is having a bad day when I shoot an 81 and win low gross. Not bad for swinging my golf clubs for just the second time since June 12. Won't be playing again until 9/11 (maybe not until 9/17).

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Played at Wellshire on Sunday. Holy schnikey the greens are fast!

Toughest match play in my career. 1-up/1-down all round. On the 18th, all-square after a horrible 3-putt on 17, I stripe a drive down the right side of the fairway, 7-iron to pin-high 15 feet away. Tap-in birdie for the (Samuel L Jackson) win.

Everyone is having a bad day when I shoot an 81 and win low gross. Not bad for swinging my golf clubs for just the second time since June 12. Won't be playing again until 9/11 (maybe not until 9/17).

The new head greenskeeper is awesome and has been doing great things with the course all year. The men's league is loving it I can tell you that. Our club champ is in two weeks so I imagine the greens will be getting faster and faster leading up to that and the Wellshire 4 ball..

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

The new head greenskeeper is awesome

We had some other adjectives in mind about his pin placements. :D

Glad to hear you like them. Did you have any issues with shipping? I know a few other folks earlier in the summer couldn't seem to get their stuff in very quickly. I assume the fit on the hats is good?

No issues with shipping at all. The hats are awesome - I'll be getting more for sure.

Right now I have a ton of V1X's so I play them both. Honestly, can't tell the difference between the two.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

The new head greenskeeper is awesome

We had some other adjectives in mind about his pin placements. :D

That is also true! He really loves to tuck those pins and the greens are so small anyways, it just makes it even tougher.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Hey everybody,

Just moved out here last week and I am looking to get acquainted with the golf offerings around town. Commonground and Murphy Creek have been recommended to me so far, anybody want to get around in at either of those courses this week? Or anywhere else really.. Haven't touched the clubs in 2 weeks and I think Im going through withdrawal!

Hey everybody,

Just moved out here last week and I am looking to get acquainted with the golf offerings around town. Commonground and Murphy Creek have been recommended to me so far, anybody want to get around in at either of those courses this week? Or anywhere else really.. Haven't touched the clubs in 2 weeks and I think Im going through withdrawal!

I'll play sometime but this week is bad as I have a tourney over the weekend and then out of town for a week. PM me in a week and a half lol.

Hey everybody,

Are you in the south or north half of denver? I have a tournament this weekend also but I'm available in the afternoons on weekdays.

Is anyone looking forward to TPC Colorado opening in like a year or so? I just found out about it yesterday.

Hell yeah man, finally something near us. I just saw a PDF of the course layout last night also, it looks pretty sweet.

Hey everybody,

Are you in the south or north half of denver? I have a tournament this weekend also but I'm available in the afternoons on weekdays.

Is anyone looking forward to TPC Colorado opening in like a year or so? I just found out about it yesterday.

Hell yeah man, finally something near us. I just saw a PDF of the course layout last night also, it looks pretty sweet.

TPC is going to be in Berthoud? I find that strange for some reason, but oh well...

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Hey everybody,

TPC is going to be in Berthoud? I find that strange for some reason, but oh well...

Agree.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Berthoud is logical given the cost of land around the Denver area. No doubt the metro area could use more courses but where do you find 150 plus acres? It is a shame Green Gables didn't go public, especially after their redesign, instead of selling to a developer.

I agree with this. I think it's a little bit of a bummer they didn't decide on a mountain layout though. Mountains are what the state is known for and they probably could've found some affordable mountain land to build on even closer to the city. I'm probably wrong though, who knows.

There was brief talks about the Ameristar in Black Hawk trying to develop a golf course. I imagine that area is a bit TOO mountainous.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't swung a golf club in over 3.5 weeks, and I'm actually excited I'm heading to Family Sports tonight to hit off the mats.

Hoooooo boy. I was lucky enough to play Cherry Hills last Thursday. What a great experience. If you ever find yourself with the opportunity to play it, dust off every excuse on the shelf to get out of work/family duty, etc. It's one of those rounds that, in my opinion, was sneaky good. The course doesn't blow you away with views or anything, but I'm about a week removed and can't think anything other than "What a complete course." It's in perfect shape, the front eases you in, and then the back eats you alive. Just a great experience all around.

That's awesome Brian! Hoping to have a chance to play there someday!

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

Walked it during the BMW - what a lovely place. Very jealous you got to play.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Playing Murphy Creek on Saturday. A spot in the match play championship at Cherry Creek Country Club is on the line. The only positive thing I can think of so far is that I'm getting four pops.