2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SC PP Newport Mil Spec Gen 2 - Authentic?

m_schroeds

Hoping some of the knowledgable members here can take a look at some photos of a Gen 2 Mil Spec I just received. In the pictures I saw before purchasing, everything seemed to look ok, but obviously you can see a lot more detail in person. A few things that caught my eye:

1. Finish appears to be rougher/more textured than the Gen 1 that I have. Is this the stock finish?

2. Headcover it came with doesn't have the divot tool slots on the side

3. The milling near the joint of the neck/head looks a little rough (did my best to get a clean pic)

4. End of sight line near cavity looks a little sloppy with an elevated sharp edge (again, tried to get a good angle in the pic)

5. No serial number that I can see. Not sure if it should have one.

Also, even tho it's stamped as a standard lie head, it came to me a few degrees flat. How many degrees can the lie be safely adjusted?

None of these things bother me so long as the putter is authentic. Let me know what you think. Much appreciated!

taylormade aeroburner tp 10.5
exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good to me... i dont know if its refinished... looks more newish than refinished.... i think somemtimes these look "polished" smooth from years of in and out of headcover...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks for the replies. Do you think this was a Custom Shop refinish or third party refinish? I'm hoping it's still a plated finish (looks to be but not positive) to avoid rusting and the need for maintenance.

exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

Headcover and putter are both authentic. Some of the Pro Plat covers didn't come with a tool. There's an all gray PP cover that didn't come with a tool either.

Hard to tell if the putter has been refinished. May have just been repainted. I've seen a couple different face milling patterns on Mil Spec's (I've owned a half dozen of them and currently own 3). Some have more of a rounded milling, and others have milling similar to yours, which also happens to be similar to the milling pattern on refinished putters - where the center line widens out towards the toe (fishtail milling). Plus, you can see some milling down the neck still. Neck and bumper milling usually get smoothed out during a refinish. You could always take the head off and weight it. However, Mil Spec's have been known to be "overweight", which makes them a great candidate for refinishing. I have a 34/340 that weighs around 347g's and 2 33/350's. One is all original and weighs around 358g's and the other was 356 grams before it was refinished. Came back from the Custom Shop 350g on the money.

GREAT putters. Usually referred to as the "poor man's 009". Terrific gamers.

Headcover and putter are both authentic. Some of the Pro Plat covers didn't come with a tool. There's an all gray PP cover that didn't come with a tool either.

Hard to tell if the putter has been refinished. May have just been repainted. I've seen a couple different face milling patterns on Mil Spec's (I've owned a half dozen of them and currently own 3). Some have more of a rounded milling, and others have milling similar to yours, which also happens to be similar to the milling pattern on refinished putters - where the center line widens out towards the toe (fishtail milling). Plus, you can see some milling down the neck still. Neck and bumper milling usually get smoothed out during a refinish. You could always take the head off and weight it. However, Mil Spec's have been known to be "overweight", which makes them a great candidate for refinishing. I have a 34/340 that weighs around 347g's and 2 33/350's. One is all original and weighs around 358g's and the other was 356 grams before it was refinished. Came back from the Custom Shop 350g on the money.

Great reply; thanks. Does the lack of a serial number provide a definitive answer one way or the other?

exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

Regarding the lie, the putter is not stamped as a standard lie head, as mentioned in the OP. One of the letters of the "FSU" on the sole are supposed to be paintfilled to indicate if the lie is Flat, Standard or Upright. On your putter, none of the letters appear to be paintfilled.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Regarding the lie, the putter is not stamped as a standard lie head, as mentioned in the OP. One of the letters of the "FSU" on the sole are supposed to be paintfilled to indicate if the lie is Flat, Standard or Upright. On your putter, none of the letters appear to be paintfilled.

That's an image quality issue... I should have posted a better shot. The "S" is filled with blue paint. I had it bent back to 71 degrees (standard). It was delivered at 66.5 degrees.

exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

Given that the paintfill was changed from original, it's possible that the wrong letter was paintfilled.

In any case, you have a nice putter there and I hope you enjoy it.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great reply; thanks. Does the lack of a serial number provide a definitive answer one way or the other?

Most of the Mil Spec's (that were OTR) came without any type of "serial number". The numbers that you see on some Mil Spec's, usually down the back/rear of the neck, are from Special Orders. Two of my current Mil Spec's don't have any numbers on them but the 3rd one was special ordered with a flat lie angle and a different grip (different than standard - which I believe was the Titleist cord) so it has a order number stamped on the neck.

I'm leaning towards refinish based on the milling and shinny sole. IIRC, all 3 of my Mil-Spec's milling was different and light. though I think the only real way is to pull the head and weigh it, although depending how bad it was before a refinish, they're may have not been much to remove. hard to tell. great stick though!! I love mine!

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

i have had one PP mid-slant newport refinished by CS, came exactly same face milling pattern with the one in the photo. and slightly frecklier PP finish than original, as well.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

out of the 3 I've owned (still own 2), only 1 had the serial number. it was the 350G head which has been refinished to black oxide via the custom shop. that one also had almost perfect milling IMO. the others were inconsistent which is what i've seen on other Mil-Spec's.

here's the milling on my refinished Mil-Spec. they did not touch the milling so it's still original.

25482397396_e4c8cc9e3b_c.jpg

Milling by Robert, on Flickr

milling of another one i have which is original.

18635329946_cb7f88d003_c.jpg

2015 WITB by Robert, on Flickr

and another one that i do not own anymore but was also original.

17359908391_b85c20b064_c.jpg

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec by Robert, on Flickr

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110

Doesn't look like the OP's putter was refinished by the Cameron Custom Shop. Custom shop refinish jobs are noted with a number stamp under the hosel. Didn't see that on this one.

If it was refinished, it was done by a 3rd party refinisher. Also, paint fill changes alone does not constitute a refinish.

Great pickup you got there OP. The 350g 2nd gen mil spec with the flat shoulders is as close as an off the rack gets to a 009 tour putter.

I just scored one off the bay for an unbelieveable price due to I'm assuming the seller not listing the 350g in the title.

Doesn't look like the OP's putter was refinished by the Cameron Custom Shop. Custom shop refinish jobs are noted with a number stamp under the hosel. Didn't see that on this one.

If it was refinished, it was done by a 3rd party refinisher. Also, paint fill changes alone does not constitute a refinish.

Great pickup you got there OP. The 350g 2nd gen mil spec with the flat shoulders is as close as an off the rack gets to a 009 tour putter.

I just scored one off the bay for an unbelieveable price due to I'm assuming the seller not listing the 350g in the title.

they used to stamp them but that was from Titleist, not the SC custom shop and i believe they were custom ordered FROM titleist or a titleist rep which required a stamp IIRC. I've had mine re-done earlier this year and does not have a stamp under the hosel. it was done by the custom shop.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110

you know, looking at it again. it may be original, honestly. on TCC, there's a topic on what to look for if it's been restored. I see slight ghosting (#4 on TCC thread) on the sole and neck but could be the photo is a little blurry. mine is a little rounded than the sharp edges. the OP's bumpers are not as rounded as mine. here's a thread to photos of mine.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1284522-restoration-complete-on-my-mil-spec/

http://www.cameronco...c,188576.0.html

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110

I'm going with Terry on this one, he's knows his Mil Spec stuff, I don;t think its been refinished. You can see milling on the neck, that is usually not the case when its been refinished. Robert is correct, the CS does not stamp refinished putters, that is done by Titleist, usually under the hosel. Do you see a number under the hosel?

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Thanks for the continued participation in this thread! Great info, discussion and pics. I love this site. I was never really concerned about the paint fill as it is pretty common for people to modify that at home without altering the finish. The texture of the finish on this one (compared to the smoother finish on the Gen 1 I have) is what got me wondering about whether it was refinished at some point. I had never seen a Gen 2 in person until mine arrived. Bladehunter's comment about my Gen 1 (heavily used, but not abused) makes sense...I wonder if the finish smooths over/polishes over time from use?

Anyway, I really like how both look, just wanted a better understanding of what I was working with. These putters are absolutely gorgeous and feel incredible. I have wanted one for the longest time and, in true WRX fashion, now have two haha (in my defense the Gen 1 was too good of a deal to pass on). Aesthetically, I think I like the lighter/shallower milling on the Gen 1, but both look super classy and feel great.

exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

the original finish on 2 out of the 3 i had were somewhat rough texture, the other was smooth and it was gamed. the rough ones were babied and one was practically brand new.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110

• 2 months later...

After a little try out I have decided to stick with my Gen 1 as I like the additional offset and will likely be putting the Gen 2 (subject of this thread) on the BST or eBay. Based on the discussion here, would you agree it's fair to advertise it as original, or maybe just provide a link to the thread?

exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

they used to stamp them but that was from Titleist, not the SC custom shop and i believe they were custom ordered FROM titleist or a titleist rep which required a stamp IIRC. I've had mine re-done earlier this year and does not have a stamp under the hosel. it was done by the custom shop.

The bottom of the hosel is only stamped when the putter is refinished by Titleist. Has nothing to do with custom orders or Custom Shop.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

It also looks to me like the PP has been given soft bead blast. The sole has obviously been polished, but the rest of the club appears to be a bit more sparkly from the blast.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

The bottom of the hosel is only stamped when the putter is refinished by Titleist. Has nothing to do with custom orders or Custom Shop.

that's what i said or meant to say. under the hosel was a titleist stamp refinished by them. back of the neck was a custom order regarding the Mil-Specs.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110

After a little try out I have decided to stick with my Gen 1 as I like the additional offset and will likely be putting the Gen 2 (subject of this thread) on the BST or eBay. Based on the discussion here, would you agree it's fair to advertise it as original, or maybe just provide a link to the thread?

I believe a link to this thread would be entirely appropriate and forthcoming. Depending on how you price it, I don't see it lasting long. Beautiful putter.