arm lock putters?

NevinW

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1375872638' post='7622108']
[quote name='toshman' timestamp='1375845254' post='7621004']
Purchased an arm-lock Odyssey, but am yet to putt with it cause I need to get it cut down to length. Can anyone recommend a grip and/ or orientation? Would like to try the flatso 17 from superstroke, but the macro grip has kinda picqued my interest.
[url="http://www.macrogolf.com/buy-products/#MACRO-Square-Stroke-Grips"]http://www.macrogolf...re-Stroke-Grips[/url]

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
[/quote]

I was also interested in the new Flatso but it has been "on backorder" for months. I gave up on that. I installed a ss 1.3 size which is 17 inches long with the flat spot in the traditional straight up position for the thumbs. I know some people have talked about having the flat spot against the forearm but for me the grip is plenty stable against the forearm without doing that. I think there is greater value in having the thumbs on that spot. I will say that the fatter grip helps a lot, as with a standard or mid size grip my left hand felt a bit contorted / strained but with the larger grip things feel much more natural / comfortable.
[/quote]
Everything still going well with the Super Stroke? I just had mine cut down but had the original grip put back on. My biggest flaw is rolling my right wrist a touch and closing the face. Think the SS would help?

Callaway XHot Pro 9.5 PX 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 17 PX 6.0
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP 59 4-P KBS Tour S
Vokey SM5 50F / 54F / 58K
Kingston GSS KP1

I have never seen an arm lock putter on the course or in a store.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Hbeaz15' timestamp='1379190674' post='7851101']
[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1375872638' post='7622108']
[quote name='toshman' timestamp='1375845254' post='7621004']
Purchased an arm-lock Odyssey, but am yet to putt with it cause I need to get it cut down to length. Can anyone recommend a grip and/ or orientation? Would like to try the flatso 17 from superstroke, but the macro grip has kinda picqued my interest.
[url="http://www.macrogolf.com/buy-products/#MACRO-Square-Stroke-Grips"]http://www.macrogolf...re-Stroke-Grips[/url]

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
[/quote]

I was also interested in the new Flatso but it has been "on backorder" for months. I gave up on that. I installed a ss 1.3 size which is 17 inches long with the flat spot in the traditional straight up position for the thumbs. I know some people have talked about having the flat spot against the forearm but for me the grip is plenty stable against the forearm without doing that. I think there is greater value in having the thumbs on that spot. I will say that the fatter grip helps a lot, as with a standard or mid size grip my left hand felt a bit contorted / strained but with the larger grip things feel much more natural / comfortable.
[/quote]
Everything still going well with the Super Stroke? I just had mine cut down but had the original grip put back on. My biggest flaw is rolling my right wrist a touch and closing the face. Think the SS would help?
[/quote]

I'm still loving my ss grip on my armlock. Just feels more secure and comfortable compared to the standard.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried the odyssey arm lock #7 and liked the stability but the putter just didn't fit me. I switched to the Kuch model 1 and it is absolute money! Every facet of putting has improved and I absolute love the distance control! I can't speak highly enough of the design of this putter and the amazing customer service provided by bettinardi! I really can't see this putter leaving my bag and as a dedicated putter ho I have literally never felt that way about any putter!

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

• 7 months later...

At the end of last season, I had a bit of a falling out with mine. It had partly to do with me messing with a slightly different setup, and partly some laziness in my stroke. Anyway, to start the year this year, I went with a conventional putter and struggled with distance control (had 38 putts one round, including a 3 putt from 10 feet, ouch). So, back came the Kuch 2, and my confidence returned. It's back in the bag....not going to tinker with it anymore!

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Still using my Odyssey #7 armlock with good success. I really think we will see more of these as Jan 1 2016 gets closer. Give it another year or so. I don't know about the point and shoot comment above, but there is definitely a feeling of stability and repeatability that I never had with a conventional putter.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1400003895' post='9287451']
Still using my Odyssey #7 armlock with good success. I really think we will see more of these as Jan 1 2016 gets closer. Give it another year or so. I don't know about the point and shoot comment above, but there is definitely a feeling of stability and repeatability that I never had with a conventional putter.
[/quote] Going off what you said, stability and repeatability is more solid than ever. I really feel once I get lined up I can make anything. Therefore, it is that easy for me.

I am a huge fan but make sure that you get one with some offset. For instance, the odyssey arm locks are just belly putter that were lofted up so it still has the same offset as a regular belly. The kuchar bettinardi has 2.5 shaft offset which is a S-Ton but it is necessary for this style. Without the offset it is much more difficult to aim and get comfortable in your setup. Also can get you to start hooding the face too much without the offset.

Breed's show last night he was doing arm lock style as a drill. That is how I started as it was recommend by a former PGA pro. I am lock with a 35" regular putter and I have been putting very well. I have a dart but so far have on,y used it to practice.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it the arm lock putters have to be especially well fitted. Where can you go to find one that is in the ballpark for you that you can demo? I don't want to spend $375 on something I might hate. I have not seen them in stores in my area.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1400989642' post='9362605']
As I understand it the arm lock putters have to be especially well fitted. Where can you go to find one that is in the ballpark for you that you can demo? I don't want to spend $375 on something I might hate. I have not seen them in stores in my area.
[/quote]

The lack of demo/trial clubs is the big problem with it - the Bettinardi is the main armlock model, and there aren't many places to demo Bettinardis - no idea why the Odyssey arm lock models are so invisible...

In my case, my putting is so bad, i took the opportunity while over in Chicago, to get fit or one at Tinley park.

i usually use a 32" putter, so the arm lock also ended up 2 or 3" inches short at 39" , not sure what the arm lock standard is... But grip your normal putter, leave your left hand o and measure with a tape up to an inch or so below your elbow and that would be abut it, methinks... Mind you, it was also bent for lie and a touch of loft adjustment also, and bending that much shaft offset etc is best done by an expert.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I have been armlocking since around February. I will not say that it has changed my putting a ton. But I have made more putts and two putted a whole lot more since the change.

I also felt that going with a larger putter grip has helped even more. I put a flatso 17 on and like it even more now. Also make sure you get length fit. When I purchased mine it was 42 inches and could not seem to get a comfortable position consistently. Cut it down to 40 when I put the SS on and been a lot better.

Happy putting.

I was happy to see a couple of arm lock Betinardi's on the floor at PGA Superstore in Atlanta (Duluth) last week. They had the Kuchar#1 and Kuchar #2. Compared to my Odyssey #7 armlock that I've had about a year now, they had more offset, were slightly heavier in the head due to solid milled construction,and head sizes and styles were somwhat smaller than my #7 with what I presume must be lower moi / slightly less forgiveness.

Good feeling putters though. I would love to pick one up to have an alternate but $375 is a lot of jingle!

In terms of the armlocks supposelybeing hard to fit, the only variable is length and you can easily modify that once you get the putter and experiment a bit. You may want to change the grip anyway.

Had a conversation with my club pro yesterday, and he commented that the arm lock stroke is legal up to the elbow (as far as the anchor ban is concerned). While this seems obvious, I am one who likes to jam the butt of the grip into the inside of my elbow joint, so the question would be whether that's interpreted as legal or not? Anyway, I tried gripping up more to get away from that, and my first round like that yesterday cost me 43 putts. Ouch. Going to keep messing with it to find a happy medium....I've been pretty happy with the arm lock style this past year, but I need to make sure I'm legal!!

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1401650509' post='9408081']
Had a conversation with my club pro yesterday, and he commented that the arm lock stroke is legal up to the elbow (as far as the anchor ban is concerned). While this seems obvious, I am one who likes to jam the butt of the grip into the inside of my elbow joint, so the question would be whether that's interpreted as legal or not? Anyway, I tried gripping up more to get away from that, and my first round like that yesterday cost me 43 putts. Ouch. Going to keep messing with it to find a happy medium....I've been pretty happy with the arm lock style this past year, but I need to make sure I'm legal!!
[/quote]

If you gripped up without shortening the putter, then that means you had to have changed your posture. Which might explain the performance. For what it is worth, when I first went to armlock I felt more comfortable with the butt higher but after awhile I realized I had more accuracy about two inches below the elbow. There is a reason why almost everyone who uses them arrives at that location. btw my assumptions is the butt must be below the crease at the inside of the elbow. The crease is very clear to see. If it is touching your bicep or tripcep then it will not be ok after 1-1-16.

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1401650509' post='9408081']
[/quote]

Yea that's definitely not legal. Good to see you back to using it though! I've got mine about an inch below the elbow and I lengthened it an inch from stock at the recommendation of the guys at scratch. I guess a lot of people have a tendency to stand too close to the ball, hoped on the SAM putting thing and that was my case too. Saw myself side by side with Kuchar, he also stands with his eyes slightly inside the ball and he's open to the target line.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='DJslice4' timestamp='1399829749' post='9273865']
Wanted to see what folks are still thinking about these arm lock style putters. Sounds like Odyssey discontinued their line already, and Kuch is still the only guy on tour I've seeing using one. I really like the concept, but have yet to pull the trigger on one. Is anyone still using one that can shed any light?
[/quote]

There is another that played at the Memorial. They talked about him on PGA radio but I do not recall the name.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Are these a good cure for twitching or yips. I've tried the lot and i mean the lot. Even went left handed but my sight eye was wrong. Out of everything available i think the only one i've not given a go is a long left handed putter with a cack hand style. There's nothing that eats into your game more than hitting geens and missing the lot. Then you miss a green and fail to get up and down. You know then youre toast.

[quote name='Malc' timestamp='1402176322' post='9449985']
Are these a good cure for twitching or yips. I've tried the lot and i mean the lot. Even went left handed but my sight eye was wrong. Out of everything available i think the only one i've not given a go is a long left handed putter with a cack hand style. There's nothing that eats into your game more than hitting geens and missing the lot. Then you miss a green and fail to get up and down. You know then youre toast.
[/quote]

I won't go so far as to say its a magic bullet, but this forces you to use your big muscles. You can't be wristy with it, so I'd say it can definitely help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Any tips for installing the arm-lock grip? I bought one and am wanting to blow it on but have not installed a grip without the traditional tape and solvent slide on method. Can I put this on with masking tape? No tape? Do I need solvent? Really appreciate any tips from those who have done this before I screw up a $30 grip!