2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Drewtaylor21's Golf Journey (Swing Changes, WITB, Results)

drewtaylor21

I've been on the fence about starting one of these threads for a while now, but I've had a few people ask me some questions about what I'm working on with Dana Dahlquist and I wanted to give a more detailed explanation, as well as keep somewhat of a running diary of my game. Hopefully this ends up being helpful!

First, some history.

Self-taught from age 14, which was when I got serious about the game, up until January of 2015 when I did a few online lessons with Dan (ITeach). At that time I was living in Utah, finishing grad school and playing in a lot of amateur and club events. 2013 was my first year back in competitive golf since college (graduated 2005), and it was a little bit of a rude re-awakening! I was playing very casually to a scratch handicap at my home course, but my first tourney back I shot 84-81! I played in 2 more events and got the rust off, then managed to qualify for the State Am, as well as one other top 10 that summer in a local event (Salt Lake City has a really great amateur golf season - lots of college and former college players and great public tracks!). Had a lot of fun and ramped up my seriousness about the game. 2014 I had multiple top 10's in amateur events around the area, shot a nice 67 to be one shot off the lead in the first round of USGA Mid-Am Qualifying (then blew up with a 78 in the afternoon round), and finished my summer with a T2 in my club championship, shooting 73-70 to lose by 1. I had 4 penalty strokes over the 36 holes of the CC, which had become a common theme in my game, and at that point I decided I needed to find some extra help to shore things up in my swing and get to the next level in ballstriking. I enlisted the help of Dan over that off-season and we made some nice changes to my swing. Here is a little timeline of progress to that point:

(sorry for camera quality)

2012-2013 swing: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

2014 swing: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Swing changes with Dan: (driver) https://www.instagra...hurryupgolf (5 iron) https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Unfortunately, my wife and I had to leave Salt Lake at the beginning of summer 2015, as I had finished grad school. Her family is in Las Vegas, and we were both able to find great jobs, so here we are. An unfortunate side effect was that I missed the summer events I usually played in Salt Lake, then found the summer amateur series in Vegas sucks! At least it did in 2015, as a lot of the big events were in Reno. Long story short, I was only able to play in one event last summer, which was USGA mid-am Qualifier in Riverside, CA. Wasn't hitting the ball too well going in, and shot 77 with a bad case of the lefts (3 penalties off the tee).

To be fair to Dan, he really helped me with my swing and my ballstriking improved quite a bit in terms of narrowing my misses. However, I went from playing a stock fade with my previous swing to a stock pull draw/occasional miss right with Dan, and was never able to figure that out. If you don't know already, missing both ways in golf is a recipe for disaster. In no way am I blaming Dan for that, as we only did a few lessons online and I'm sure he could have straightened me out with some hands on attention. However, Florida is a long way away and not too convenient for me, so I began looking around for another instructor.

In late August 2015, I saw George Gankas at his range in Westlake, CA. For those that don't know, "GG" is somewhat of an instagram celeb in the golf world (@ggswingtips) and he has a lot of young players playing really good golf in SoCal. I like George and respect what he does with his guys, but as I've said before on this site a few times, I left my lesson with him pretty confused and overwhelmed. He offered a lot of new ideas and tried to cover a few too many things in the short time I was with him, and I never really had much to build on with him. Just wasn't a great fit for what I'm looking for in an instructor. Despite that, I worked on his swing keys for quite a while, using Instagram and his private website for help. I saw flashes of good ballstriking, but a lot of inconsistency. However, I do think I developed a better pivot during this time, which invariably helped get me where I am now....

After seeing something Dan wrote in a GG thread about my swing, I reached out to him to ask about who he would recommend on the West Coast. He kindly referred me to Dana Dahlquist, who I was aware of through social media. In April of 2016, I went and saw Dana for the first time in Long Beach. Here is where I was going in: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

And here are the highlights from our first lesson:

[media=]

[/media]

The main takeaways I had from lesson 1: more flexion of the torso in the backswing, "soft" arms, in transition the club lays down and left arm stays "in" or deep.

The backswing pieces made sense to me and those were pretty easy to fix. However, I had the hardest time with the transition piece. Keeping the left arm in always made me get steep (pulling down, old habit). I was able to fake it a bit by doing slow swings and freezers, but as soon as I went after it, it got steep again: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Somewhere in there, I was prepping to play my only event of the summer. Unfortunately, my work schedule didn't allow me to play in a few events in late spring, and my wife and I were expecting our first child in July, so the only event I could play was in June. Shot 75, played nicely, just struggled on the greens, which had been punched/sanded 2 weeks earlier and hadn't healed. Easily the worst greens I've played on in a tournament, but everyone struggled, so scores were a bit high. I'm on new-dad duty (or dooty might be the better spelling) now, so I haven't actually played since 4th of July weekend, but I've got Flightscope set up in the garage and I'm able to hit balls at night once mama and baby boy are sleeping, so I get 30-60 minutes in daily that way. I have a few events in October and November that I have my eye on, if my work and parenting schedules will allow. I'm literally having dreams about playing golf again, so I'm hopeful that I can get back out on the course soon!

I was in SoCal for work a few weeks ago though, and set up a time to see Dana to try and resolve the difficulties I was having with transition and the downswing. I'm really pleased with the stuff I got out of lesson 2, and got some good video that sums things up nicely here:

[media=]

[/media]

Main takeaways: clubhead more outside the hands, hand path works more vertically and club is a little across at the top. In transition, my 2 pieces I'm working on are simultaneously opening the pelvis to the target combined with the wrist action he describes, which is ulnar deviation and palmar flexion. The ulnar dev part feels absolutely absurd, but it's starting to make sense now! He had me do a lot of slow motion and a chip drill to ingrain things, and it's coming along.

Here is the chip drill followed by a 70% swing: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Obviously a work in progress, but already on the Flightscope I'm noticing tighter dispersion patterns, and my path has shifted from a pretty consistent 3-5* left to now a 1-3* right. I am still getting some pull draws, but I think those are a result of combining new and old patterns (thanks for the lingo Tiger). The nice thing is that things are making sense, they're feeling better, and I have a good idea of where I'm headed with my swing. I'm looking forward to really nailing this stuff down and then getting back to competitive play as soon as I can!

I'll be updating this thread along the way, and I hope it's valuable to you guys!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some additional raw footage from lesson 2 with Dana (including him making fun of me spending too much time on GolfWRX around the 3:40 mark! lol)

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Following...against Drew's wishes, of course.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Following...against Drew's wishes, of course.

I hereby take zero responsibility for the random swing keys that you'll want to try if things go south with your swing!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Swing looking Great. Would love to see some Face On Video of that beauty !

Good luck in the Journey.

Thanks, I'll get some Face On whenever I can get back out to a golf course/range. I don't have the space to get FO view in the garage, unfortunately

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I have watched that first lesson on YouTube a bunch, didn't know that was you. Haha. Great work and improvements. Keep the updates coming.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Following. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, when u say left arm deep/in in transition, does that not result in you being stuck?

I can only speak for myself, but no, it doesn't.

With the changes in lesson 2, I haven't had to think at all about keeping the left arm in/deep. The wrist conditions and the way the club lays down seems to be the cause, left arm staying in/deep is one of the effects.

The key seems to be what takes place in the backswing. Between lessons 1 and 2 I was starting to suck the club inside a bit (old habit) and get laid off up top. From there it probably wasn't possible to do what Dana wanted on the way down. I would assume that a decent amount of body rotation is necessary too, but I had that piece down already according to Dana.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I have watched that first lesson on YouTube a bunch, didn't know that was you. Haha. Great work and improvements. Keep the updates coming.

Interesting comments about not wanting you to ever hit a fade.

Thanks! Yeah, his preference is a draw pattern. Pretty sure that goes for everyone, not just me, though the push fade is acceptable he said.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Thanks! Yeah, his preference is a draw pattern. Pretty sure that goes for everyone, not just me, though the push fade is acceptable he said.

Local pro was messing around with us on the range the other night. I asked him how he hits a fade. Lately my fades end up as straight pulls. He basically told me to change setup. Interesting part was it felt to me like a push fade. It worked really well.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Local pro was messing around with us on the range the other night. I asked him how he hits a fade. Lately my fades end up as straight pulls. He basically told me to change setup. Interesting part was it felt to me like a push fade. It worked really well.

I hear some guy named Trevino was pretty decent with a push fade... :)

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Good luck with your progress . Looks complicated stuff ....must feel horrible at this stage?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Drew- what jumped out at me in the vid is when DD mentioned you chasing a leftward hand path. He suggested that was a deliberate move by you and you didn't seem on board.

Have you fought pull fades or wipes? Or have you struggled with hitting draws that start further to the right?

Drew- what jumped out at me in the vid is when DD mentioned you chasing a leftward hand path. He suggested that was a deliberate move by you and you didn't seem on board.

Have you fought pull fades or wipes? Or have you struggled with hitting draws that start further to the right?

Will be interesting to hear from Drew, not sure he was chasing a leftward hand path but when I saw his swing back then it looked like he was chasing a flattening of shaft by moving the hands out but he didn't have much depth and hand path went really out causing that leftward path. Not sure he was chasing left and low look just a result

Good luck with your progress . Looks complicated stuff ....must feel horrible at this stage?

Thanks! It felt ridiculous for the first few days. Definitely clicking now, especially after seeing resulting ballflights. Don't know if anyone watched Brendon DeVore's interview with Dana on his YouTube channel (Be Better Golf), but Dana talked briefly about how to ingrain swing changes, and he alluded to the use of feedback loops. That's really the best way to describe how I feel I'm progressing. Felt terrible, then I started putting pieces together mentally about the pieces of the swing and how they affected what I was seeing with ballflight, and things are starting to feel good now!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Thanks! It felt ridiculous for the first few days. Definitely clicking now, especially after seeing resulting ballflights. Don't know if anyone watched Brendon DeVore's interview with Dana on his YouTube channel (Be Better Golf), but Dana talked briefly about how to ingrain swing changes, and he alluded to the use of feedback loops. That's really the best way to describe how I feel I'm progressing. Felt terrible, then I started putting pieces together mentally about the pieces of the swing and how they affected what I was seeing with ballflight, and things are starting to feel good now!

Feedback loops? Do tell more .....

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Following with interest!

Drew, with the handle high at impact, did you have to change your lie angles significantly?

Honestly the high handle thing is still a bit of a mystery to me. I'm not 100% sure if it's a feel or something he actually wants to see at impact. Currently it's a feel for me (max ulnar deviation), and just from how impact feels and what I see on video it looks like lie angle is no issue. Haven't actually checked lie angle, but to answer your question, no, no changes in equipment yet.

Dana did mention to me in lesson 1 that my current driver (SLDR) was a God-send with my old swing, as I had less than optimal attack and spin loft, but the SLDR made it easier for me to get away with that without losing too much. I would agree! haha

Time will tell if I need to change any equipment, but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted here if that happens.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Drew, love this thread and thanks for sharing your journey.

I have a very low and leftward swing path that I'm working on. When you're correctly transitioning in lesson 2, does the ball start right and draw to the middle? Can't see. Also, when done correctly, does the club path visually start inside to out? Just wondering what you're seeing the club head doing a foot behind the ball to a few feet past impact. Thanks!

Drew in your old swing I remember your hands would go really out to start downswing and kinda cause and out to in pull path or wipey look, is that why he's having your do that hand path in and down and I'm to out? Looks like a tough move

Yes, old swing was consistently left path, and usually square to slightly open face. I can avoid the left side with the best of 'em playing that way, but as Dana said in the video, it's less than optimal. It made playing well in the wind, especially a left to right wind, a big challenge.

I could hit a draw, but it was definitely a straight draw or pull draw (never knew which I would get), which was hard to control.

We worked on hand path in lesson 1, but not at all in lesson 2, just worked on wrist conditions. As I said above though, when I get the backswing in the right place and the wrists move how he wants in transition, hand path takes care of itself.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Will be interesting to hear from Drew, not sure he was chasing a leftward hand path but when I saw his swing back then it looked like he was chasing a flattening of shaft by moving the hands out but he didn't have much depth and hand path went really out causing that leftward path. Not sure he was chasing left and low look just a result

You guys are both correct. I was never chasing the idea of "swing left," but I most definitely have been chasing this sort of look where the clubhead looks to be what I would describe as "behind the pivot."

Some would probably call that swinging left, I never though of it that way.

I describe in the video trying to get path going right by having the club more behind, and Dana corrects me by saying "No, clubhead DOWN and behind." That seems to be the key for me right now.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Drew, love this thread and thanks for sharing your journey.

I have a very low and leftward swing path that I'm working on. When you're correctly transitioning in lesson 2, does the ball start right and draw to the middle? Can't see. Also, when done correctly, does the club path visually start inside to out? Just wondering what you're seeing the club head doing a foot behind the ball to a few feet past impact. Thanks!

Thanks, and yes, when all the pieces are put together I'm hitting a very small push draw. I've been looking more at path numbers on Flightscope (1-3* right) than video of the club around impact, but here's the most current slow-mo of my swing. It's hard to see the actual clubhead with slow-mo and the lighting in my garage, but hopefully you can draw some conclusions here

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Feedback loops? Do tell more .....

Cause and effect. Make a change in your swing and see the resulting ballflight. The brain makes a connection to what your body did to produce that result.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x