2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most Over Rated Course on the Major Rotation

JD3

St. Andrews for me, I mean I get the history aspect but its a pretty boring course.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Torrey Pines, all it is is long and on a (admittedly rather nice) cliff.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Whoever said Oakmont...I'm with Richard...GTFOH...I will bet good money you have never played the course and until then not sure how you could make such an asinine statement. Having played it countless times it is day in day out the hardest test in golf. It IS what major championship golf was meant to be. Just shaking my head at some people. Wow.

Greg- Man I am with you. I have played Royal Aberdeen about 10 times and if it wasn't for the fact that it would be nearly impossible for spectators to watch the golf and there is no driving range it would be the best Open championship course in the Rota.

In my opinion the most overrated course that hosts majors would have to be Pinehurst No.2. My Dad, brothers and I were the first foursome off the day they re-opened it when Crenshaw renovated it and I was wildly unimpressed with all 18 holes. I mean it's a decent golf course but a few other courses in that system are much better. No. 2 was just boring. I'm sure in championship form it would present a challenge but how many of us get to see courses in that shape day in day out unless you are member at Oakmont

St Andrews.

Olympic.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Pinehurst #2. Ho hum. Basically looks like 30 other NC courses in the pines. Crowned greens make it tough, but other than that, not so special. Yes, I've played it a few times. The resort is great, though.

I will definitely echo your sentiments on #2. It is a beautiful track and a challenge, but in my opinion there are 3-4 better courses in Pinehurst alone, let alone the entire country.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Torrey Pines, all it is is long and on a (admittedly rather nice) cliff.

Having played it, totally disagree. Quite a bit going on there. Too bad the development inland detracts a little, but there are some awesome holes and missing the fairway or even just off some greens presents some serious challenges.

I've never played St. Andrews and have heard all the criticism about it for years. All I can say is if I'm ever lucky enough to play there I know I'll be overwhelmed by the historical significance and will embrace the design and love every second of it. Then will be headed way up north for some courses I'm dying to play. Full confession, my dream trip to Scotland has me figuring out how to make St. Andrews work because I want to spend the entire time based in the Dornoch area.

St. Andrews for me, I mean I get the history aspect but its a pretty boring course.

It is far from boring to play.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

St Andrews.

Olympic.

St. Andrews- Best Driver and putter is always going to win.

Olympic- Best Ball Striker is going to win

Great Courses with history

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Pinehurst #2. Ho hum. Basically looks like 30 other NC courses in the pines. Crowned greens make it tough, but other than that, not so special. Yes, I've played it a few times. The resort is great, though.

I will definitely echo your sentiments on #2. It is a beautiful track and a challenge, but in my opinion there are 3-4 better courses in Pinehurst alone, let alone the entire country.

I agree. I played 6 courses while on a trip there. #2 might have been my 5th favorite. I thought Pine Needles was a gem.

Whoever said Oakmont...I'm with Richard...GTFOH...I will bet good money you have never played the course and until then not sure how you could make such an asinine statement. Having played it countless times it is day in day out the hardest test in golf. It IS what major championship golf was meant to be. Just shaking my head at some people. Wow.

Greg- Man I am with you. I have playc.f. 'd cbc''d xXxX xXxXcbc'' vCard vCard'ecv cv'' cv''''''dxXxX Royal Aberdeen about 10 times and if it wasn't for the fact that it would be nearly impossible for spectators to watch the golf and there is no driving range it would be the best Open championship course in the Rota.

In my opinion the most overrated course that hosts majors would have to be Pinehurst No.2. My Dad, brothers and I were the first foursome off the day they re-opened it when Crenshaw renovated it and I was wildly unimpressed with all 18 holes. I mean it's a decent golf course but a few other courses in that system are much better. No. 2 was just boring. I'm sure in championship form it would present a challenge but how many of us get to see courses in that shape day in day out unless you are member at Oakmont

Bro, the easy thing to do is keep my mouth shut and let you post a positive post regarding mine, but medicated or not, I cannot do that. I obviously did not make myself clear.

Apologies to all, especially Kirk and Bruin!

I think Oakmont is overrated

Yes, it is a beast-

Though, so would a lot of 7200+ yard tracks be if ya grew the rough to 6-7" and ran huge sloped greens at 15+

I've Played it in US Open condition and in "regular" condition, and though I do not have a barometer for measurement regarding how it stacks up to other Championship tracks in "Major" mode, as I have only Played Merion, PH #2 and Congressional in such conditions, all I will say is that the members s*** themselves, literally, when it rains Open week.

Why is that????

It rains during Open week at Merion and it doesn't Play appreciatively easier. Nor does #2. Obviously any course wet allows one to fire at pins however Oakmont is just another 7200+ yard track with 5-7" rough when it rains.

When we co-hosted the 2003 US Am with Oakmont, and I realize that it was not the US Open, however our place Played .58 stroke easier than Oakmont at 6894yds. Ours is a traditional eastern course with the trees, narrow fairways, heavy rough if we so desire(it was 4-6") and sloped tiered greens.

It is not Oakmont.

It will punish you as a Player however it will not bring you to your knees like Oakmont can.

Though as I said, 7200yds+, 5-7" rough and 15+ on the stimp is tough anywhere.

Put the rough at 4-6"(The USGA swears that in 2007 it measured 8-9" half way through second cut. The bois just laughed and said "quit cryin and let em Play," LMAO) and see how they do.

Yes, I believe that it is one of the top 5-10 tracks in the country, though not one of the top 5.

Maybe it's because I've Played it to the extent that I know the course, I know where and when to "go for it" and what is a "sucker's shot" and how to take what my game and the course give me.

Make no mistake, it's a beast however I just can't shake sitting in Open/USGA Committee meetings and all the Oakmont bois could talk about was the weather report because their greatest fear is rain to soften the course.

I believe that 1973 is never far from their thoughts when the rains hit, however you are also talking about one of arguably THE 3-4 greatest mid/long iron Players of all time getting hot that day.

My thing is, the truly Greatest tracks, the weather doesn't matter.

You don't need 7200+ yards, 15+ on the stimp and 6-7" of rough to make it a test.

Cut the rough at 4-6, run the greens at 12-13 and see what the bois could do....

LMFAO, yea, right......

S***, with those markers, there are a lot of tracks that would be a b****, lol

Maybe it's me, haha

Anyhoo, sorry for the misunderstanding and as I'm already running a fever, I'm not putting my flame retardent suit on, lol.

Have a great holiday BroMeisters :)

All The Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I think a key element of course greatness is memorability, and I can not think of one hole at Pinehurst #2 which is truly memorable.

I'd bet, if we had a "pop quiz" here at GolfWRX, and you asked 100 randomly selected WRX'ers to identify the characteristics of almost any hole on the #2 course, most couldn't do it.

Pinehurst #2...18 is memorable....for me. I thinned a greenside bunker shot up onto the veranda filled with cocktail sippers. Ball rattled around and came out, and I got it up and down from the rough to a small, disdainful round of applause.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

So if I understand your definition of an overrated course, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be a course that today's players can overpower with low scores. Does that mean that Pebble Beach is overrated, because Tiger sure had his way with it during a major. Just my personal opinion, I find Bethpage Black greatly overrated. Is it a great public course for being in NYC? Sure it is. But my experience playing it was that its just long and has brutal rough and I would be fine never playing it again. New Yorkers- I look forward to your hate mail. LOL!

You didn't play the US Open course, trust me........LOL

I agree. I played 6 courses while on a trip there. #2 might have been my 5th favorite. I thought Pine Needles was a gem.

I think #2 may be the 4th or 5th best course at the Pinehurst Resort let alone the Pinehurst area! I would play #8, #4 and #9 before it and to be honest #7 may be better as well. Other local gems like Mid Pines, Pine Needles and Dormie Club are also superior...

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Greg- Man I am with you. I have playc.f. 'd cbc''d xXxX xXxXcbc'' vCard vCard'ecv cv'' cv''''''dxXxX Royal Aberdeen about 10 times and if it wasn't for the fact that it would be nearly impossible for spectators to watch the golf and there is no driving range it would be the best Open championship course in the Rota.

Bro, the easy thing to do is keep my mouth shut and let you post a positive post regarding mine, but medicated or not, I cannot do that. I obviously did not make myself clear.

Yes, it is a beast-

Though, so would a lot of 7200+ yard tracks be if ya grew the rough to 6-7" and ran huge sloped greens at 15+

I've Played it in US Open condition and in "regular" condition, and though I do not have a barometer for measurement regarding how it stacks up to other Championship tracks in "Major" mode, as I have only Played Merion, PH #2 and Congressional in such conditions, all I will say is that the members s*** themselves, literally, when it rains Open week.

Why is that????

It rains during Open week at Merion and it doesn't Play appreciatively easier. Nor does #2. Obviously any course wet allows one to fire at pins however Oakmont is just another 7200+ yard track with 5-7" rough when it rains.

When we co-hosted the 2003 US Am with Oakmont, and I realize that it was not the US Open, however our place Played .58 stroke easier than Oakmont at 6894yds. Ours is a traditional eastern course with the trees, narrow fairways, heavy rough if we so desire(it was 4-6") and sloped tiered greens.

It is not Oakmont.

It will punish you as a Player however it will not bring you to your knees like Oakmont can.

Put the rough at 4-6"(The USGA swears that in 2007 it measured 8-9" half way through second cut. The bois just laughed and said "quit cryin and let em Play," LMAO) and see how they do.

Yes, I believe that it is one of the top 5-10 tracks in the country, though not one of the top 5.

Maybe it's because I've Played it to the extent that I know the course, I know where and when to "go for it" and what is a "sucker's shot" and how to take what my game and the course give me.

Make no mistake, it's a beast however I just can't shake sitting in Open/USGA Committee meetings and all the Oakmont bois could talk about was the weather report because their greatest fear is rain to soften the course.

I believe that 1973 is never far from their thoughts when the rains hit, however you are also talking about one of arguably THE 3-4 greatest mid/long iron Players of all time getting hot that day.

You don't need 7200+ yards, 15+ on the stimp and 6-7" of rough to make it a test.

Cut the rough at 4-6, run the greens at 12-13 and see what the bois could do....

LMFAO, yea, right......

Maybe it's me, haha

Anyhoo, sorry for the misunderstanding and as I'm already running a fever, I'm not putting my flame retardent suit on, lol.

All The Best,

Richard

Richard I could never flame you bro!!!

I respect your extremely credible critique of OCC and it is a valid critique. The softening of the course from rain is certainly it's chink in the armor...a big chink at that. my only rebuttal is that knowing that Fownes designed it to be a championship course it is hard to throw it in the overrated for a major category for me seeing how it was specifically designed to host big tourneys. In defense of your club and many in that area, the 'burgh just has a wonderful DNA for having extremely difficult and challenging but fair golf courses. I as well took the history of the club and it's list of winners there. There are many courses that need the rough and greens at insane speeds to make them tough. Even if oakmont mowed the rough down it is still a tough track with the narrowness of the fairways, the deep bunkers, the long par 3's, drivable par 4, the church pews...

I've played Oak Hill in tournament conditions and man alive that course is a beast as well. WF as well. I think the world of majors could stand to bring in some new blood to show what else is out there. Players learn courses and it becomes target golf for them. PH #2's only defense to me is the domed greens but if they are soft and wet and the greens slow down it's not a tough track at all. Pebble is another I could see being in the overrated column because the greens are just crappy as all get out. No championship should ever be decided by a lucky bounce off crappy poa.

we can agree to disagree. Hope you are feeling better buddy. take care.

Yes, it is a beast-

Why is that????

It is not Oakmont.

LMFAO, yea, right......

Maybe it's me, haha

All The Best,

Richard

Richard I could never flame you bro!!!

I respect your extremely credible critique of OCC and it is a valid critique. The softening of the course from rain is certainly it's chink in the armor...a big chink at that. my only rebuttal is that knowing that Fownes designed it to be a championship course it is hard to throw it in the overrated for a major category for me seeing how it was specifically designed to host big tourneys. In defense of your club and many in that area, the 'burgh just has a wonderful DNA for having extremely difficult and challenging but fair golf courses. I as well took the history of the club and it's list of winners there. There are many courses that need the rough and greens at insane speeds to make them tough. Even if oakmont mowed the rough down it is still a tough track with the narrowness of the fairways, the deep bunkers, the long par 3's, drivable par 4, the church pews...

I've played Oak Hill in tournament conditions and man alive that course is a beast as well. WF as well. I think the world of majors could stand to bring in some new blood to show what else is out there. Players learn courses and it becomes target golf for them. PH #2's only defense to me is the domed greens but if they are soft and wet and the greens slow down it's not a tough track at all. Pebble is another I could see being in the overrated column because the greens are just crappy as all get out. No championship should ever be decided by a lucky bounce off crappy poa.

we can agree to disagree. Hope you are feeling better buddy. take care.

Excellent post Bro!!

The other thing is and you can appreciate it because you've Played Oakmont and that us that there is very very little difference in its day to day condition and "Major Made."

How many tracks routinely play 4-5" rough, 14 on the stimp with pins on slopes~

That run AWAY from the fairway..

In the spring, in May before this year's Open. Jason Day was on town to see his agent, decided to Play, went over and had a 74. He couldn't believe that a pin would be placed on a slope running away from the fairway for members in to middle of the week.

That's another thing.

I've been a guest at a lot of clubs over the years and Oakmont's members are different. Masochistic has been thrown around and I would agree. They want to Play that course in Tourney condition every day.

My advice if you Play it for the first time is do not b**** or moan about how tough or unfair it is, because the members Play that every day as Kirk can attest to.

Just smile, thank your host and take your a** whippin like a man, lolol.

As I've thought about this and thought about Jason's round earlier thus year, I was wrong.

How many courses could one of the top 2-3 Players show up, Play and be 4 over on a typical mid week set-up?

I think that I just miss the trees and the "old" Oakmont and am being a b****, lol. Haha,Maddie called me that last night.

LMAO, my nickname should be "Gumby."

Take care Bro and gave a great day!!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The more one plays St Andrews, the more one comes to respect it. It looks boring on TV. So what? Many of the very best players have come to recognize its charm and character.

But it takes more than a couple rounds for most.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The more one plays St Andrews, the more one comes to respect it. It looks boring on TV. So what? Many of the very best players have come to recognize its charm and character.

I thought I would find it interesting and that I would appreciate the history. What I found was that I loved the golf course. It was a blast.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Ive never played it or visited it but I think it id enjoy it a lot. I see a lot of variety and interesting shot choices.

Off top of my head, 1 has the target golf.kind of approach with the creek abutting the putting surface, 17 road hole is unique as memorable and challenging as you'll find anywhere, and I like the drivable 18th tee too with the valley of sin.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

When they first played there I would have probably nominated Valhalla (Whistling hadn't been open then). But I think over time the course has earned it's stripes as a quality major venue

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I was completely underwhelmed by Valhalla.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I was completely underwhelmed by Valhalla.

Nicklaus courses are for the most part not my cup of tea

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Greg- Man I am with you. I have played Royal Aberdeen about 10 times and if it wasn't for the fact that it would be nearly impossible for spectators to watch the golf and there is no driving range it would be the best Open championship course in the Rota.

Not having a driving range is not a blocking issue to host the Open, Carnoustie doesn't have any ;)

Pebble Beach great course for the average golfer and a bucket list course. But with no wind it is a pitch and putt course for pros. As historic as it is to win a US Open at Pebble, the course is to short for todays game and majors. Let them play that At&t pro-am, but as hard as it is time might have passed for men's major golf.

Pebble Beach great course for the average golfer and a bucket list course. But with no wind it is a pitch and putt course for pros. As historic as it is to win a US Open at Pebble, the course is to short for todays game and majors. Let them play that At&t pro-am, but as hard as it is time might have passed for men's major golf.

A lot of courses can become "pitch & putts" with no wind, including pretty much all Open rota courses, Kiawah, Whistling, etc.

The last US Open at Pebble was won at E.

Other than Tiger's dominance in 2000, +2, -6, -6, -3, and E have won.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5