I got Mann-handled!

brad ·  
bradbrad Members  81WRX Points: 55Posts: 81 Fairways
A big thanks to Lamont!
I picked up a putter sometime last year off of putter-swap, it just seemed to catch my eye. I worked out a pretty good deal on it and pulled the trigger from a really good guy who was sad to see the putter go but happy it went to a good home.

this was the putter:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

That's heavy putter.

I swapped a couple of emails with Lamont in AZ (golfluvzme, mannkrafted.com) a few months ago as I was going to be taking a trip down to Gold Canyon and was hoping to drop by his shop and see where the magic happened. He happily invited me over to his 4000 square foot, state of the art, putter refinishing studio....okay maybe I added a zero...or two to that number image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Some background on the putter is that I wanted to do something for my daughter, who has some health issues. The theory would be that when she's old enough, I would give it to her. Lamont was more than happy to help out and was incredible to work with.

I dropped off the putter at his shop last Wednesday, hung around for awhile and talked shop, looked at the putter-**** on his workbench, and sketched my vision for the putter. By Saturday he was finished the project image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' /> .

I wanted to change the bumper stamps, initials, paint fill, and take the putter head from a hefty 369 to down to approximately 350grams. The milling work and finish after Lamont had finished was absolutely first class. Incredible customer service and contact with Lamont. He and his wonderful wife (she does all of the paint fill work) took some creative license with the putter as well and I think the final result is fantastic. I even managed to play a round with it and it felt fantastic with the new head weight.

Here she is:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The Sole milling to take out extra weight, super clean job. Created a perfect spot for some stamping I wanted done. Final head weight came down to 353g. Perfect.

web.jpg

If you've got a flatstick in need of a buff up or a radical change, Lamont is the guy to talk to. I plan on an annual project with him...and maybe sneak another look at the "Roger 9" image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thanks again Lamont!

Brad.
Posted:

Comments

• Brando5105Brando5105 Putter Hoe Members  2216WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,216
    wow great job Lamont...Another masterpiece
    Posted:
    Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
    Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
    Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
    Satori wedges
    Machine M20
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mhighmanmhighman NOT with Slighter Golf Members  273WRX Points: 0Posts: 273
    Looking good LaMont and Brad!!!!! Great to see that putter went to someone who made it a piece of their life...

And yes I will try and remember to send that other stuff... I am horrible I know hahaha.
    Posted:
  • Pure745Pure745 CPC #15 Members  11487WRX Points: 205Handicap: BabyPosts: 11,487 Titanium Tees
    wow! thats unbelievable that he changed it like that.. awesome putter and best wishes to your daughter more importantly.
    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 - Fujikura TR7
    Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
    Mizuno 919T - KBS CTL
    Mizuno S18 46/50
    [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey 54V/60V
    Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram:
    On -, @pure745
    https://www.instagram.com/pure745/
    [/font]
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    I am sure your daughter will cherish that....and wonderful work to all involved.

Peace.
    Posted:
  • WhiteRabbitWhiteRabbit Members  195WRX Points: 1Posts: 195 Bunkers
    Out of curiosity why didn't you have Tom Slighter do the work?
    Posted:
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers  8606WRX Points: 190Posts: 8,606 Titanium Tees
    WhiteRabbit wrote on Jan 12 2009, 09:53 PM:

I'm guessing it was time sensitive... like it would take too long.

It sounds like he was in town for a short time and was looking to get it done before he left.

We all love Slighter's work, but he is always swamped.

Kudos LaMont! Nice work, as usual (we really need an emoticon that says that, as it gets said so often).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bradbrad Members  81WRX Points: 55Posts: 81 Fairways
    WhiteRabbit wrote on Jan 12 2009, 10:53 PM:

I was staying literally about 10 minutes away from Lamont's workshop. It made way more sense to have him work on it. Plus, thread after thread here on wrx just praised his abilities.

I chatted with Tom briefly about making a putter from scratch but the cost was pretty extreme, even for a simple design. I actually never did inquire about pricing on a refinish, perhaps assuming the same "sticker-shock".

Thanks for the comments!

b.
    Posted:
  • bradbrad Members  81WRX Points: 55Posts: 81 Fairways
    j0npeterson wrote on Jan 12 2009, 11:49 PM:
    WhiteRabbit wrote on Jan 12 2009, 09:53 PM:

I'm guessing it was time sensitive... like it would take too long.

It sounds like he was in town for a short time and was looking to get it done before he left.

Actually, I said to Lamont "take your time man, I can't play until April anyway so don't rush". He phoned me on Saturday and told me he was finished and that he has was happy that I would be able to take it home with us.

That's some personalized service for you.

b.
    Posted:
  • dehdeh Members  472WRX Points: 65Posts: 472 Greens
    I hope that your daughters health problems are getting better with each passing day. LaMont is great to work with, I currently have an old Mil-Spec with him getting the treatment and a copper plating. I cannot wait to see it!
    Posted:
  • SpumoniSpumoni Members  787WRX Points: 111Posts: 787 Golden Tee
    Beautiful putter. Great job Lamont!

Thinking of Cadence and sending some super Mojo her way! Hope she feels better soon! image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.