2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist 917D2 and 917D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

Sure everyone's mileage will vary, but as a Titleist guy I have to say I was underwhelmed by WRX and Crossfield's reviews. Andrew (the reviewer) concludes "If you have a 915 driver and plan on purchasing the 917 and keeping the club in neutral, do not expect any noteworthy performance benefits, although you will most likely enjoy the quieter sound and softer feel."

Here's my take on that. 917 offers (for Titleist) new levels of customization for fitters. That's terrific. That said, most golfers don't get fit by sophisticated fitters; rather, if they get fit at all it's a local GC guy. And, because driver faces are maxed out, TM and Callaway's claims of X more yards with each new driver is one part BS/marketing and another of optimizing launch and spin.

All things being equal, I would say not the initial buzz they were hoping for at HQ in Carlsbad. Say what you want, but you never want your new driver testing shorter than the older version. That's scary. I was looking forward to Titleist catching up in the distance race with drivers (the way they did with irons and AP1). My enthusiasm has diminished. Others too I'll bet.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so pumped up for these drivers but seem underwhelmed from some of the info so far. It will as with anything take trial and error with your swing but with some of the guys ditching the D4 on staff for the D2 I thought they might really have something with this one.

sigh

Epic SZ T1100 75 6.5
913 FD 15* d+ White
915H D+ 80
Cally Apex C-Taper
Vokey SM6
Bettinardi BB37

I was so pumped up for these drivers but seem underwhelmed from some of the info so far. It will as with anything take trial and error with your swing but with some of the guys ditching the D4 on staff for the D2 I thought they might really have something with this one.

sigh

I wouldn't read too much into 1 person's testing data. Likely the 917 wasn't dialed in for his swing whereas the 915 may have been. Almost all the Titleist tour pros I've spoken to have told me they gained 2-3 mph higher ballspeed with the 917 over their 915 and thus improved distance by approximately 10 yds. This is straight from the mouth of 9-10 players who have no marketing agenda behind their comments spoken one-on-one to me. I've also seen the trackman numbers for one of them and can vouch that the 917 did perform better than their 915.

If you notice the Golfwrx review, the most glaring difference is the smash factor is much lower on the 917 vs. the 915 (1.45 vs. 1.48) - this probably had more to do with the Golfwrx results than anything. Just saying.

Best advise - go get fit and see if the driver performs for you. Then make an informed decision.

Anybody got any robot test results? Wait , they all go the same distance

Getting some 6 handicapper to judge the effectiveness of a driver in distance terms with ten shots is totally pointless , they don't have the quality of strike

LOWER LAUNCH, HIGHER SPIN and SLOWER BALLSPEED means one thing- shot was hit low on the face , not a fair review

All things said I like the look of the product and will be going for a fitting , not to pick up yards , I'm already maxed out , but to refresh my bag more than anything

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

sigh

They probably do still have something. For me, I hit the 915D2 and D3 better than the Ping G30 and the TM M1/M2. The only driver out there right now that stands out to me above all others (for my swing of course) is the Cobra LTD. I totally dismissed that driver until I hit it recently and now have one on order. That's one driver I can't believe isn't getting the buzz that it deserves.

sigh

I wouldn't read too much into 1 person's testing data. Likely the 917 wasn't dialed in for his swing whereas the 915 may have been. Almost all the Titleist tour pros I've spoken to have told me they gained 2-3 mph higher ballspeed with the 917 over their 915 and thus improved distance by approximately 10 yds. This is straight from the mouth of 9-10 players who have no marketing agenda behind their comments spoken one-on-one to me. I've also seen the trackman numbers for one of them and can vouch that the 917 did perform better than their 915.

If you notice the Golfwrx review, the most glaring difference is the smash factor is much lower on the 917 vs. the 915 (1.45 vs. 1.48) - this probably had more to do with the Golfwrx results than anything. Just saying.

Best advise - go get fit and see if the driver performs for you. Then make an informed decision.

If you look at the pictures of the faces of the two drivers, you will see that the ball marks are near the bottom of the face. For some reason, the tester was not catching the ball in the sweet spot. The low strikes account for the lower smash factors, and the lower launch angles. Low contact would also cause higher spin rates.

I would not put any stock in the launch monitor numbers in the club reviews. Your own results will vary.

Having said that, I would love to be able to put up numbers that would result in distance of 290!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I will definitely give it a try when the local fitters get it in, interested in all the new tech. I love the 915 driver.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Can the other WRXers who have hit the club chime in? Other folks have hit the clubs, and I'd be curious to know about what they were fit into vs the 915 and if they too saw lower launch angles or if this is simply related to off-center strikes in this review. Personally my fitting since the 910 has always ended up with just about the same shaft and head combo so I was ready to put in an order without hitting the club, but now am thinking better of it.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

Long story short- Titleist guys claim the GolfWRX tester wasn't properly fit/ didn't have the driver dialed in to his proper specs versus the 915. Non-Titleist guys claim this driver isn't as good as the previous version. OK, got it.

I think the D3 looks good, and the D2 looks like a pumpkin on a stick. I'll reserve judgement on the rest till I get a chance to swing it.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I was fit for the following drivers over time. 915D3, 915D4, C16, 917D3. I only am posting the actual numbers for carry distance--haven't enough time or patience to type every track man number., I put all the drivers back into the original fitting condition. This took a while because other than the 917D3 which isn't mine I had changed all the specs as the fitting results never last.. I hit 10 balls with each club and tossed the high and low of each. Carry distance was in this order 915D3 279 yards, 915D4 284 yards, C16 289 yards, 917D3 285 yards. The dispersion was best with the C16. All the others were not as good as other drivers like G or Cobra Ltd King, or Zero Kai, as far as dispersion. So properly fit the 917D3 is an improvement over the 915D3. The only one that had what I prefer in sound was the C16. Small but unscientific sample. Personally I wouldn't get a 917D3 as my C16 outperforms it in all aspects.

I was fit for the 917 d3 and found consistently higher ball speeds across the face than with my xr16 Pro which had been fitted for me.

The real eye opener was how many options the fitter needs to think about with this driver, and until you get the shaft right I don't believe you can unlock the potential in the head. None of the stock shafts worked for me in the driver but as soon as I hit hzrdus black in my driver it was night and day different.

The cg change did nothing for me in the driver but in the three wood it was good for about 5 yards extra when we moved it towards the toe.

Go and get fit for a 917. And temper this driver has been designed for consistency. I would be surprised to see a few yards more out of another model but expect to be in the fairways more often with these. They designed for consistency over raw distance.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: Provisionally PXG 0311 Gen 6 at 15.75 Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Ping S159 50 S, 54 H, 60 T
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: Provisionally PXG 0311 Gen 6 at 15.75 Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Ping S159 50 S, 54 H, 60 T
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Those testing results numbers v the 915 are fairly embarrassing!

Anyone able to post the comparison?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3, 5Wood Ventus Black TR 7S

Titleist T200U 2 and 3 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 4-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Super Select NP (ordered)

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Those testing results numbers v the 915 are fairly embarrassing!

Anyone able to post the comparison?

Wk

http://www.golfwrx.com/395264/review-titleist-917d2-and-917d3-drivers/

About 1/3 way down is the LM data summary.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Apparently a 917 d4 in 6 months???

Shiels also said there is a D4 in his review of the D3. Moto only again. No release timing mentioned.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Classic look on top with some nice technology. Glad the sound was worked on for others, even though I didn't feel my 915 was too loud. The D2 will be in my bag when it comes out.

WITB:

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Driver Tour AD DI 6X  44 3/4" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR3 16.5 Degree 4 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 43" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR2 21 Degree 7 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 42" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR1 24 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 39" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 27 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38 1/2" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 30 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38" B-1 Setting, Titleist T200 7-PW, AW Irons True Temper AMT White S300 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Vokey SM8 Brushed Steel 53-07, 57-07 Dynamic Gold S400 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Yes! Two Mallet by Jerry Korte Putter 33" Winn Pro X 1.60 Putter Grip, Pro V1X #44, Titleist Player 4 Stand Bag, Lamkin Crossline Midsize Grips

With the limits established for driver heads, to me the biggest changes I feel are in the shafts. I do like the technology that allows one to change shafts in an instant, to me heads don't feel much different since the COR limit was established.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Might have to send my 910d3 for a refinish and my 915d3 in for some hot melt to continental.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

I tried the 915 multiple times since it's release and it was never as long as my G30. I will try the 917 when I get an opportunity. The initial results from WRX look bad but I have to think that it was just one bad test, with probably a poor fitting. A majority of tour players switching quickly is always a good sign

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been reading a lot of discouraging stuff on here the past few days so I just went to GG and buried myself in a simulator for two hours.

I currently own a G LS TEC 9 rogue black stiff. I can hit it a mile but anyone's guess if I'm going left or right. Dispersion is hideous. Started with 917 D3 at 9.5 rogue silver and launched too high, went down to 8.5 and Diamana white got me to 14-15 launch so I stuck with that. I was turning it over a bit so I opened the face to C1 I believe and straightened things out.

Overall conclusion, I can hit a G 300+ but who cares if I don't know where it's going. The D3 was at 290 but with the tightest dispersion I've ever had. Spin was around 1700-2300 so all good. Club head speed was no different at 106. Didn't need to mess with CG but might mess with it to see if I can crank out more yards.

Overall, I've come to the realization that distance is the dangerous hot girl in college you sleep with once, but dispersion is the beautiful girl you should marry.

Also, after two hours with the 917, I picked up a 915 same specs and it felt like doodoo and was about 5-10 yds shorter.

Ok, so I've been reading a lot of discouraging stuff on here the past few days so I just went to GG and buried myself in a simulator for two hours.

I currently own a G LS TEC 9 rogue black stiff. I can hit it a mile but anyone's guess if I'm going left or right. Dispersion is hideous. Started with 917 D3 at 9.5 rogue silver and launched too high, went down to 8.5 and Diamana white got me to 14-15 launch so I stuck with that. I was turning it over a bit so I opened the face to C1 I believe and straightened things out.

Overall conclusion, I can hit a G 300+ but who cares if I don't know where it's going. The D3 was at 290 but with the tightest dispersion I've ever had. Spin was around 1700-2300 so all good. Club head speed was no different at 106. Didn't need to mess with CG but might mess with it to see if I can crank out more yards.

Overall, I've come to the realization that distance is the dangerous hot girl in college you sleep with once, but dispersion is the beautiful girl you should marry.

Also, after two hours with the 917, I picked up a 915 same specs and it felt like doodoo and was about 5-10 yds shorter.

Thanks for the summary. I'm looking forward to giving the 917 a go!

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

• 4 weeks later...

I have free rein of the fitting carts at a local driving range. I could not figure out a good 917 fit for myself. Then the Titleist rep came through on a demo day, and he was able to put together a stock options setup that was fantastic! I can't stress it enough-you really should get fit for this driver!!!!! Stock is not the way to go, let someone else fit you. Don't go with any preconceptions, let the fitter use his knowledge and launch monitor to get you into the right fit! I think I've found my Christmas present :)

• 1 month later...

I'm a Titleist guy through and through, but when the 917D lines came into the local store, I went there to test it on their monitors. I know they aren't accurate ... yada yada, but I hit the 917D in all configurations and shafts on average 17 yards shorter than a stock off the shelf M2 (in normal) with same shafts. Not only was it 17 yards longer on average (20 strikes each driver), but it was more accurate ... probably because I kept trying to catch up and overswing with the 917D3. Wow! I just could not get anywhere close in distance or accuracy with the 917D3. That was a huge hit to my "all Titleist" ego.

Can (or should) I give us 17 yards to the competition just out of brand loyalty, whether that be another golfer or myself on the scorecard? The answer is no, so I picked up a stock 2016 M2 (not tour) in 9.5* with a Tensei blue 60S shaft for $329 (used, but looks brand new). Hope to get it out onto the course soon :)

Note my WITB data below is for my home bag in SoCal. The M2 and other non-Titleist clubs are in my work bag in NorCal.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Yes, not a lot of love for the 917 drivers. I brought both my 915D2 and G30LS to my TPI fitting for the 917. For me, dispersion is about the same between the G30LS and TPI fit 917D2. Ball speeds are also about the same.

So true, but if the girl you marry isn't hot enough, your marriage could be in jeopardy.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I'm a Titleist guy through and through, but when the 917D lines came into the local store, I went there to test it on their monitors. I know they aren't accurate ... yada yada, but I hit the 917D in all configurations and shafts on average 17 yards shorter than a stock off the shelf M2 (in normal) with same shafts. Not only was it 17 yards longer on average (20 strikes each driver), but it was more accurate ... probably because I kept trying to catch up and overswing with the 917D3. Wow! I just could not get anywhere close in distance or accuracy with the 917D3. That was a huge hit to my "all Titleist" ego.

Can (or should) I give us 17 yards to the competition just out of brand loyalty, whether that be another golfer or myself on the scorecard? The answer is no, so I picked up a stock 2016 M2 (not tour) in 9.5* with a Tensei blue 60S shaft for $329 (used, but looks brand new). Hope to get it out onto the course soon :)

Note my WITB data below is for my home bag in SoCal. The M2 and other non-Titleist clubs are in my work bag in NorCal.

Not the driver, its you. I got fit for an m1 last year. Got fit for the 917 d3 this year. Literally within 2 yds of each other each way. Just prefer the feel and look of the titleist

Not the driver, its you. I got fit for an m1 last year. Got fit for the 917 d3 this year. Literally within 2 yds of each other each way. Just prefer the feel and look of the titleist

+1.

Actually for me the M2 was about 4yds better but dispersion wasn't as good. M2 also had the bonus of a two way miss including the high right miss of death. A couple of yards definitely not good enough to kick the 917 or G30 LS out of the bag.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]