Dizz aka J.W. WITB for 2018 (Added new WITB pics on 6/16/2018!!)

Dizz

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1444340389' post='12429642']tyro-- what's happening man?
[/quote]

Oh, I'm good! I was only commenting on your and Deuce78's posts.

I'm just playing up the "What 2016 irons or driver should I buy next?"-puzzle. With the blizzard of new equipment flying at us these days, it's enough to drive a sane person batty! :)

Frankly, I'm enjoying my S55's right now.

I know what you mean about the hybrid thing. My Aeroburner is just unreal long off the tee. I wonder why I carry a driver except to take proper relief...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1444342017' post='12429736']
[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1444340389' post='12429642']tyro-- what's happening man?
[/quote]

I'm just playing up the "What 2016 irons or driver should I buy next?"-puzzle. With the blizzard of new equipment flying at us these days, it's enough to drive a sane person batty! :)

I know what you mean about the hybrid thing. My Aeroburner is just unreal long off the tee. I wonder why I carry a driver except to take proper relief...
[/quote]

Did you keep that 009 or did you let it go? Was it everything you thought it would be or no?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Subbed in a golf league-- Anser 17, AP2 5-9, Vokey 48 + 57, Kombi = 9 clubs and 9 pars. Just a small dumpy muni I couldn't get to either par 5 in 2 shots with the hybrid-- probably couldn't get there with a driver either though.

I hit the hybrid so well off the tee and every hole I am in perfect position it feels like maybe just a little short of where an optimized driver would land. I hit 8 greens in regulation and the one I missed was about 10 feet short of the fringe. Chipped it to a foot so it was a boring 9 pars day. They have me as a +2 handicap there so for 9 holes at +1 I got absolutely destroyed by the 17 handicap that shot 40.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1444343376' post='12429806']
Subbed in a golf league-- Anser 17, AP2 5-9, Vokey 48 + 57, Kombi = 9 clubs and 9 pars. Just a small dumpy muni I couldn't get to either par 5 in 2 shots with the hybrid-- probably couldn't get there with a driver either though.

I hit the hybrid so well off the tee and every hole I am in perfect position it feels like maybe just a little short of where an optimized driver would land. I hit 8 greens in regulation and the one I missed was about 10 feet short of the fringe. Chipped it to a foot so it was a boring 9 pars day. They have me as a +2 handicap there so for 9 holes at +1 I got absolutely destroyed by the 17 handicap that shot 40.
[/quote]Why do I get the feeling that if I come back to this thread in a few weeks you're going to be playing with three clubs?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

Is this the hybrid with the black scorelines or new one. Anser hybrid is one of my favorites...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I find it hilarious that you switched shafts so much on the irons but are still playing stock on the woods

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1444342723' post='12429778']
[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1444342017' post='12429736']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you keep that 009 or did you let it go? Was it everything you thought it would be or no?
[/quote]

I ended up keeping it and I'm glad I did. After I gave it more time in the bag, it is locked...as in LOCKED. Yes, I would say that it is all that I had hoped it would be. At first, I had buyers remorse, on;y because it was so damn expensive. It is a gift from my wife and it means more to me than just any old 009. On top of the sentimental value, the feel, look, and performance suit me better than any putter I've ever owned or tried. I know that I have said differently in the past, but there is a reason they are so wildly successful on tour. I am also into guitars, so I would compare this to a nice prewar Martin or a 50's or 60's Gibson. The reissues are just not the same and none of the clones quite get that last 5% of "magic". It could be in my head, but isn't most of this game in the head anyway?!

I'm going to start doing some 9's with a Jones mini-bag. 4-wood, 24* hybrid, 6 iron, 8-iron, 56*, putter. Heck, I don't even need a bag for that, just a couple of rubber bands! ;)

[quote name='ago33' timestamp='1444403272' post='12432858']
I find it hilarious that you switched shafts so much on the irons but are still playing stock on the woods
[/quote]

Dude I have owned and used just about every high end graphite shaft on the planet in PING, Titleist and TaylorMade metal woods. You'd be sick if you saw all the metal woods I had over the years and all the shafts that came in those woods. Most of the guys here can attest and vouch for me on all of those... In the same time frame for that list of irons there were probably 200+ metal woods with exotic shafts if you include all the driver, fairways, hybrids and utility irons.

But since I've owned and tested all of those exotic shafts and fit some world class players with them as well-- I realize how much of a waste they were price-wise. I had no issue with them before because I got all of them free. Paying for them? Only if I know it will make a difference-- and trust me it doesn't. Not with high quality stock shafts in PING and Titleist metal woods though. There are a couple shafts out there that I think truly do what the company says they are going to do and they would be worth paying for when my swing calls for a certain profile. But honestly-- not enough did what they were supposed to or at least not any better than what the stock shaft would provide as far as performance was concerned.

Also, I did switch shafts a bit in those irons but that list-- those were all brand new unique sets... not reshafts. I never liked reshafting them I just ordered new sets... Lol.
[quote name='Deuce78' timestamp='1444365118' post='12431404']
Is this the hybrid with the black scorelines or new one. Anser hybrid is one of my favorites...
[/quote]

That was an i20...

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Kidz2feed' timestamp='1444346956' post='12430026']
[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1444343376' post='12429806']

[/quote]Why do I get the feeling that if I come back to this thread in a few weeks you're going to be playing with three clubs?
[/quote]

Lol don't think I can go that low... I do this because I enjoy it and I honestly believe (and know based upon results) it doesn't affect my ability to score at all. I certainly think 3 clubs would do that. I still wanna be able to shoot my best scores so if I don't have enough clubs to do that then I won't play. Three clubs will not be enough to get the job done I don't think... I played in a 3 club tournament once and shot 37-39 76 and lost probably 5-8 shots that day because I couldn't manufacture a shot all the time and that was also when my game was sharp. It would be even harder for me now since my game is not sharp.

9 clubs and I can shoot good scores-- prefer to have a driver in there if the course needs it. A lot of these local courses I don't need it and 250+ yards is more than enough to hit 7 iron or less into the par 4's 95% of the time.

And I don't see a situation where I would ever need more than 12 clubs unless I just wanted them. But Driver, 17 hybrid, 4-9, 48, 52 or 54, 58 or 60 and putter easily covers all my gaps. Sure you can add a 3 wood, a weaker hybrid, 2/3 utility iron, play 4 wedges, etc but I don't see how any of those impact scoring.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in knowing your process for dialing in the driver when you get it if you'd like to share....I too had the rifle 6.5 in my custom built "knock offs" which seemed to be more popular then as well. Ah the good old days...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

TaylorMade M1 460 (9.5)- Speeder 661 TS, X-Flex @ 44.75", Black/White MCC
PING Anser (17)- Speeder 8.8 TS HB, X-Flex @ 40.75", Black/Black MCC
TaylorMade Tour Issue Miura 300 Forged NS Grind (2-PW)- Dynamic Gold S400, Black/Orange MCC
PING Glide (52)- Dynamic Gold S400, Black/Black MCC
TaylorMade Tour Issue ATV RAW (58)- Dynamic Gold S400, Black/Black MCC
Titleist Scotty Cameron Kombi MID 40"

I've been messing around with new wedges and I have a brand new custom WRX built Glide 60 ES Grind coming... I've used those EYE2 wedges for many rounds and truly believe its one of the best (if not the best) grinds on a wedge of all time. Took delivery of the M1 today. The Kombi MID I use as a normal putter and I do NOT anchor it. It has a one-piece black Scotty Cameron Winn grips and a custom "Made To Play" shaft bands from their custom department. I may just use my original EYE2 wedges that I still have, BeCu SW and Stainless LW with ZZ Lite shafts.

Kidz2feed, you feel better now? You said I might have three clubs the next time you checked in and now I am all the way up to 14!! LOL!! Although I highly doubt I will carry the 2 and 3 irons much but it is different having 14 clubs for once...

What's everyone think about the bag? 11 TaylorMade clubs-- did you ever think you'd see the day? Miura forged 300's.... sweeeeeeet.....

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I like the old school irons a lot. I always wanted a set of those or the 2005 TPs. Also, I've been really interested in the ES, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on that. I know I didn't hang on to the EYE2 Gorge for long, but am seriously liking the ES shape (I've seen them in the stores).

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 10 months later...

Hey guys I got rid of ALL my sticks when I got out of the business. I was burnt out and needed a break from the game....

Anyway... I need your guys help if possible... I am looking for my old sand wedge and I cannot for the life of me remember who I sold it to. But I do remember us making a deal that he would sell it back to me when I was ready to claim it again.

Thanks in advance anyone that can help!!

JW

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

OMG he's back... wait, are you really Tiger Woods? The timing is much too coincidental. But seriously, was it one of the hand ground K-grinds?

Good to hear from you.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I was just thinking the other day I wonder what happened to you. I was not the one who bought the wedge.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

9 clubs and I can shoot good scores-- prefer to have a driver in there if the course needs it. A lot of these local courses I don't need it and 250+ yards is more than enough to hit 7 iron or less into the par 4's 95% of the time.

I'd have to agree with this. Most of the munis and clubs I played in the CLE area, I could have easily lived without the driver and not impacted the round.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

• 4 months later...

I posted looking for that 56 degree K Grind... it was RAW and Tour Issue with JW stamped all over it. I literally got rid of EVERY golf club that I owned because I needed to get away from the game. I actually have ZERO golf clubs right now and I think I am going to start building a set right now so that around April, May, June or whenever the weather breaks here in Ohio that I at least have a playable set to take to the course. I do have a Titleist Sunday bag to start and still have a ton of JW printed Pro V1X's from my golf pro days but I need at least 10 or 11 clubs to have for when the year starts. Believe it or not I have not swung a golf club in over 18 months now... haven't even waggled a club or hit a chip or putt-- I mean nothing at all.

I'm gonna build my set around an Anser 17 degree hybrid, probably some Titleist irons and I'd be thrilled if my old Vokey 56K that was built and ground for me surfaced but I cannot even remember where I sent it at this point.

I've been intrigued with some of the PGA Tour bags that were formally Nike and what those guys have started to play. It looks like a lot of TaylorMade woods but most still playing the Nike irons and wedges.... but Rory switched to some Callaway blades? I found that interesting.

On another note-- I was around the college golf scene quite a bit several years ago and got to watch Justin Thomas play for Alabama... up close once when he played the team I worked with in the National Championship Round of 8. He was really, really good back then but I never thought he was gonna be the break out star on the PGA Tour of the group but he definitely proved me wrong. His team was deep and I thought he'd be 3rd or 4th best as a pro by the time they all got to the tour but he had been incredible. Another win last week and a 59 today.... wow....

I will say this-- I do NOT miss the golf business at all... I mean not at all. I thought I would miss the game a lot more than I have but I just don't and after 18+ months I'm just now starting to think about playing again. But I will say this-- I have not thought about going back to the golf business ever. I could not be happier to be doing something else.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Man it has been awhile. Glad to hear things are good. Hope you can get back to playing golf here in the future and find enjoyment in it.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

great to see you back my man

I took about a 7mnth break and it feels good

almost ready to get back at it myself when the weather gets normal again

hope you find that wedge and a love for the game again

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

So glad to see you back. How's the body feeling after all the time off from golf?

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"