tall guys and putter lenght

2»

Comments

• sactownsactown Members  257WRX Points: 0Posts: 257
    6' 4.5" and putt using 36" length putter. 150g shaft and 350g Byron. Perfect!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • klausdudeklausdude Members  591WRX Points: 92Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    6'3" and currently experimenting with a 36 inch/350 gram putter with an upright lie angle because I really don't like to bend down so much with a shorter putter. Generally, I play with a 35'.25". Like some of the other posters stated, it's all about personal preference.
    Posted:
    RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
    Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
    Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
    Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
    Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
    Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
    Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"
  • CVGolferCVGolfer Members  48WRX Points: 55Posts: 48 Bunkers
    I'm 6'3" and use a 34" putter shaft. Probably like many tall guys, I have longer arms which makes a 35" shaft seem like a driver to me.
    Posted:
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members  6613WRX Points: 558Handicap: GolfPosts: 6,613 Titanium Tees
    dclayton wrote on Jan 12 2009, 06:56 PM:
    I am 6'3 and feel like I am hunched over the ball when I am putting with a 35" putter. Anyone go longer, like 36-38"?? I really don't want to go to a belly putter.

Thanks for the input.

I feel exactly the same.

I am 6"3" and use a 36" putter which is 1* up.

I feel much more comfortable over the ball and, in truth, have putted much better since going to this length.
    Posted:
  • yoonieyoonie Members  2346WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,346 Platinum Tees
    i'm 6'3-6'4 and i use a 37" putter (it might even be 37.5"). I always had trouble with consistent sweet spot contact w/ the putter despite a fundamentally sound stroke, but it finally started to come around when I started gripping the club PAST the end of the grip, and bringing the toe way up (standard 35" newport 2 style putter). I was getting GREAT contact adn control, but it was a little uncomfortable and not as stable as it could be (since I was holding half grip, half air) and I would occasionally catch the heel b/c the toe was so high.

I finally got the putter extended and flattened,and it's helped A LOT. The only thing is I'm gonna have to get it counterweighted, since it's too heavy for long putts (350g head). However, my putting stroke is a little justin leonard like in that my eyes set up well inside the ball, and i swing on a big arc, both of which necessitate a flatter angle and longer shaft, so this may not apply to more traditional eyes above/barely inside putters.

At worst, you could try gripping past the end of the club to see if it feels any better. I think i got a little over an inch by gripping past the grip, and if you were to practice with your shoes off, you could probably simulate having almost 2 inches added to your putter.
    Posted:
  • Ace In The HoleAce In The Hole What blocks growth is ignorance. Members  1562WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,562
    6'2" use a 34 3/4" when I'm not using the belly putter.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pirettigolfpirettigolf Members  545WRX Points: 50Posts: 545 ClubWRX
    6'5 and play a 36" putter. Like others have said.....whatever gets the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes.
    Posted:
  • maggotmaggot Members  576WRX Points: 0Posts: 576
    6'2" tall. 405g 33" Putter

Anything longer feels wrong.
    Posted:
  • Richie3JackRichie3Jack Members  1107WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,107
    I'm 6'4" and use a 35" putter that fits me like a glove.

3JACK
    Posted:
  • 59Bassman59Bassman Members  241WRX Points: 0Posts: 241
    I'm 6' 3" with 37 inch sleeves and I play a 35" putter currently. However, my local clubfitter has now twice told me I need to go to 36". I have a lot of lower back pain which makes practicing putting agonizing at times. Holding the putter one inch or so off the grip allows me to have a more upright posture that I think may help. I figure giving it a try can't hurt - I need to change the grip anyway.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.