2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2016

forecast6236

Playing Murphy Creek on Saturday. A spot in the match play championship at Cherry Creek Country Club is on the line. The only positive thing I can think of so far is that I'm getting four pops.

I'm thinking about trying Murphy Creek next Wednesday. Does anyone know if they have, or are planning on punching their greens?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this on the the City of Aurura website (http://golfaurora.quick18.com/aurora/teetimes)

2016 FALL AERATION SCHEDULE Below is the fall schedule of course closures for aeration. Please note, it will take several days for the courses to heal after aeration. Fall Schedule Fitzsimons Mon & Tues, Aug. 15 & 16 Springhill Wed & Thurs, Aug. 24 & 25 Meadow Hills Tues & Wed, Sept. 6 & 7 Aurora Hills Tues & Wed, Sept. 13 & 14 Murphy Creek Mon & Tues, Sept. 19 & 20

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I found this on the the City of Aurura website (http://golfaurora.quick18.com/aurora/teetimes)

2016 FALL AERATION SCHEDULE Below is the fall schedule of course closures for aeration. Please note, it will take several days for the courses to heal after aeration. Fall Schedule Fitzsimons Mon & Tues, Aug. 15 & 16 Springhill Wed & Thurs, Aug. 24 & 25 Meadow Hills Tues & Wed, Sept. 6 & 7 Aurora Hills Tues & Wed, Sept. 13 & 14 Murphy Creek Mon & Tues, Sept. 19 & 20

Thanks! I guess that takes care of that option.

Interesting that Saddle Rock is not on that list.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Interesting that Saddle Rock is not on that list.

I think Saddlerock isn't on the list because they're hosting the CGA Mid-AM next weekend, 23-25th. I bet they either already punched early or are waiting until afterwards. Speaking of, I'm going to try it out this Saturday before the tournament since I've never played it before. Any gotcha's I need to be worried about?

I haven't played it in years. All I can remember is that it's a brutal walking course. Good luck!

Playing Murphy Creek on Saturday. A spot in the match play championship at Cherry Creek Country Club is on the line. The only positive thing I can think of so far is that I'm getting four pops.

I only got two pops. Front nine 39 was unspectacular (started off with five straight pars including so many great, close looks at birdies); back nine had two birdies, four bogeys, one triple, and two pars for a 41. We played from the white tees, so I kept my driver in the bag most of the round; when I took it out, disaster struck. Anyways, I won my match play 4 & 2. w00t!

Fun fact about me: my career best score on #9 at Murphy Creek is a bogey.

For the match play championship, I'm giving 13-14 pops. Yikes.

I only got two pops. Front nine 39 was unspectacular (started off with five straight pars including so many great, close looks at birdies); back nine had two birdies, four bogeys, one triple, and two pars for a 41. We played from the white tees, so I kept my driver in the bag most of the round; when I took it out, disaster struck. Anyways, I won my match play 4 & 2. w00t!

Congrats man! That next round is going to be tough but if you play consistent with a lot of pars and sneak in a couple birdies you'll be fine (assuming the other guy isn't a sandbagger).

Ended up playing Saddle Rock this saturday. That golf course has a lot of really demanding tee shots. It's pretty straight forward otherwise but it really seems like they try to squeeze in the fairway on a lot of holes, especially the short ones. Honestly, I didn't really like it. It almost seemed like they were trying too hard that it made the course a little gimmicky.

I'm curious how the greens are going to be if they speed them up (which is expected). There were some spots on some greens we were putting towards that would be insane with just a little more speed. They were crazy on Saturday and those greens had to be only a 9 max.

I'm down South in Nashville and played The President's Reserve at Hermitage Golf Course yesterday. +6 on the front, +3 on the back for a really unspectacular 81...but the greens had just been punched, so I suppose I could be generous with my score and give myself a couple of putts. Great course, if you ever find yourself in the Nashville area.

Headed back to my parents' house in Alabama tomorrow and playing Cider Ridge in Oxford Wednesday with my little brother. Hoping to see some putts drop!

As for #9...if you don't hit the green, that hole can go south very, very quickly.

The pin was dead center. I was perched pretty high up on the hill, so my view was a really wide green that was very shallow. I hit a perfect GW, except it had a little draw on it (my wedge shots are usually fades). It landed pin-high (from my vantage point) about five feet to the left of the pin, and the draw spin sucked the ball off the green. :(

As for #9...if you don't hit the green, that hole can go south very, very quickly.

The pin was dead center. I was perched pretty high up on the hill, so my view was a really wide green that was very shallow. I hit a perfect GW, except it had a little draw on it (my wedge shots are usually fades). It landed pin-high (from my vantage point) about five feet to the left of the pin, and the draw spin sucked the ball off the green. :(

Ouch. Any reason you didn't go for the green off the tee?

I normally go for it on that hole. Depending on the wind it's not that big of a carry. I think playing out left leaves a tough wedge in since the green from that angle is so narrow.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Ouch. Any reason you didn't go for the green off the tee?

I can't hit my hybrid off the tee. Three times I've shanked it into the canyon. Other times, I top it almost to the ladies' tees. The hole screws with my head. haha

I was 3-up in my match play by that point, and I just wanted to play conservative. My opponent hit it to about 20yds to the right of the right-side greenside bunker, and then he proceeded to drain his eagle chip. So it was a moot point. :D

Have a buddy taking me out to CGC on Sunday. Haven't played there before and am quite excited! Also, have our yearlong total point horse race match tomorrow afternoon at HRGC. Hopefully can sneak out with a W.

Cheers to the golf weekend everyone!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Cherry Creek Country Club on Saturday afternoon.

My match play opponent can move up a tee box with our age+handicap rule. That will bump him from 23 to 21. He's a really short hitter with a deadly putter. I can either play from the blues (6411yds) as a 10, or play from the gold (6868yds) or even blue/gold combo (6600-ish) as an 11.

I'm thinking blue/gold. I can play smart and only use my driver on the par 5s; I could hit a 4-iron off the tee on all par 4s, and I would have at most a 7-iron into the green. The scary part is that I'm giving him a pop on five consecutive holes (8-12). This stretch will probably decide the match.

Congrats man! That next round is going to be tough but if you play consistent with a lot of pars and sneak in a couple birdies you'll be fine (assuming the other guy isn't a sandbagger).

Ended up playing Saddle Rock this saturday. That golf course has a lot of really demanding tee shots. It's pretty straight forward otherwise but it really seems like they try to squeeze in the fairway on a lot of holes, especially the short ones. Honestly, I didn't really like it. It almost seemed like they were trying too hard that it made the course a little gimmicky.

I'm curious how the greens are going to be if they speed them up (which is expected). There were some spots on some greens we were putting towards that would be insane with just a little more speed. They were crazy on Saturday and those greens had to be only a 9 max.

Funny that's your take on Saddle Rock.... that seems to be everybody's take. The more I play the course the more I cannot stand it. There are too many awkward forced hole layouts.

I played with a guy in the mid-am who last chance qualified with 68 and Common Ground and then shot 84-82 Fri/Sat. I always play worse than my handicap there as well. It's not hard... it's just a damn stupid layout.

I'm going to consider Blackstone/Blackbear next season. I love Murphy to death and would stick there if they eliminate Saddle Rock and the "joint men's club" setup but I know that's not going to happen.

What does the blackstone/ blackbear membership entail? I've heard of a decent number of guys doing it and a whole bunch of mixed reviews. I haven't played either course but definitely looks interesting.

CGC was insane, ate my lunch from the tips but so incredibly pure out there. I need more money haha!

What does the blackstone/ blackbear membership entail? I've heard of a decent number of guys doing it and a whole bunch of mixed reviews. I haven't played either course but definitely looks interesting.

CGC was insane, ate my lunch from the tips but so incredibly pure out there. I need more money haha!

Sounds like a blast.... I still haven't been invited to CGC :dntknw:

Hoping some guys reading this thread can weigh in on Blackstone / Blackbear. I've played Blackstone a few times and am playing Blackbear for the first time on Monday. I called and asked to play to see if I want to officially join.

I guess they're running a promo thru the end of October where all golf memberships are only $2K initiation.

I believe if you go through the Colorado WRX 2015 thread, there is a bit more discussion about Club Corp. In the other Rockies forum on here, I know there was some discussion about it.

There is also a thread somewhere (maybe in the parent of this forum) that is about Club Corp.

A lot of my acquaintances like Club Corp because you can play on other courses all over the US for free or very cheap. A few of them take an annual trip to Atlanta in April and play a lot of the Club Corp courses there.

My match play opponent can move up a tee box with our age+handicap rule. That will bump him from 23 to 21. He's a really short hitter with a deadly putter. I can either play from the blues (6411yds) as a 10, or play from the gold (6868yds) or even blue/gold combo (6600-ish) as an 11.

I'm thinking blue/gold. I can play smart and only use my driver on the par 5s; I could hit a 4-iron off the tee on all par 4s, and I would have at most a 7-iron into the green. The scary part is that I'm giving him a pop on five consecutive holes (8-12). This stretch will probably decide the match.

Have you played the course before? I would say play the gold or combo but play whichever you're more comfortable with. Sometimes the shorter distances really don't play to your game on a couple of shots. If you haven't played it before check out the scorecard and maybe a couple par 3's are awkward distances for you and would be better from one tee or another. The difference is only +- 250 yards so it can't be much different.

Funny that's your take on Saddle Rock.... that seems to be everybody's take. The more I play the course the more I cannot stand it. There are too many awkward forced hole layouts.

I played with a guy in the mid-am who last chance qualified with 68 and Common Ground and then shot 84-82 Fri/Sat. I always play worse than my handicap there as well. It's not hard... it's just a damn stupid layout.

I'm going to consider Blackstone/Blackbear next season. I love Murphy to death and would stick there if they eliminate Saddle Rock and the "joint men's club" setup but I know that's not going to happen.

YES exactly! I really don't like the layout. Same thing happened to me this weekend, shot 79-83 to miss the cut. Was feeling pretty bummed about the game because that Saturday 83 hurt.

Of course I go to my home course CO National today for our Tuesday skins game. Let me preface this by saying the course was setup as hard as it gets right now. Yesterday and today were the two days CU hosted their annual tournament. The super has spent the last month narrowing fairways, growing out rough, and speeding up and firming out greens. Of course, I drop an easy 68. UGH..... Stupid golf

Hoping some guys reading this thread can weigh in on Blackstone / Blackbear. I've played Blackstone a few times and am playing Blackbear for the first time on Monday. I called and asked to play to see if I want to officially join.

I guess they're running a promo thru the end of October where all golf memberships are only $2K initiation.

I got to play CGC for the US Four-Ball Qualifier a couple years ago. I skipped my Sunday tickets for the BMW Championship to play a practice round and would do it again in a heartbeat. I never got one but I do think that is one course that you need to play with a caddy. You can't go at many pins there. It's all about landing shots in spots that roll to your target, much like Augusta.

One of my best golf buddies has a close friend out there. He has said he can get me on anytime we want to. The problem is the guest fee; I think it's $150-$200.

Speaking of, I have a spot open Sunday morning at CO National (7:39) with said friend if anyone wants to play it and see what the college kids saw. Conditions are almost perfect right now. Make a good impression and maybe he'll invite you to CGC before the year is up. At the very least just have some fun on the golf course.

Have you played the course before? I would say play the gold or combo but play whichever you're more comfortable with. Sometimes the shorter distances really don't play to your game on a couple of shots. If you haven't played it before check out the scorecard and maybe a couple par 3's are awkward distances for you and would be better from one tee or another. The difference is only +- 250 yards so it can't be much different.

YES exactly! I really don't like the layout. Same thing happened to me this weekend, shot 79-83 to miss the cut. Was feeling pretty bummed about the game because that Saturday 83 hurt.

Of course I go to my home course CO National today for our Tuesday skins game. Let me preface this by saying the course was setup as hard as it gets right now. Yesterday and today were the two days CU hosted their annual tournament. The super has spent the last month narrowing fairways, growing out rough, and speeding up and firming out greens. Of course, I drop an easy 68. UGH..... Stupid golf

I got to play CGC for the US Four-Ball Qualifier a couple years ago. I skipped my Sunday tickets for the BMW Championship to play a practice round and would do it again in a heartbeat. I never got one but I do think that is one course that you need to play with a caddy. You can't go at many pins there. It's all about landing shots in spots that roll to your target, much like Augusta.

One of my best golf buddies has a close friend out there. He has said he can get me on anytime we want to. The problem is the guest fee; I think it's $150-$200.

Speaking of, I have a spot open Sunday morning at CO National (7:39) with said friend if anyone wants to play it and see what the college kids saw. Conditions are almost perfect right now. Make a good impression and maybe he'll invite you to CGC before the year is up. At the very least just have some fun on the golf course.

Out of town this weekend but normally would be all over that! Also, HAPPY to pay 150-200 to play out there with anyone!

Didn't realize you played in the mid-am as well. I needed a difficult up and down on #9 to make the cut and it didn't happen. Looks like you played the back better than the front. I'm the other way around on that course.

I would join Sunday morning but I've got too much going on right now, love it up there at Colo Nat'l.

If that offer is still on the table I would love to join! Haven't seen CO National yet but I keep meaning to get up there. Haven't played in a little while but I promise I wont slow you down haha

I'm a member at Highlands Ranch Golf Club and it looks like I'm going to end up with extra passes this year. I'll try to see if there's a good weekend coming up here where we can get a foursome out there and get some good golf in. With our new DU tees, you can stretch it to 7450 which makes for an interesting round of golf or play from the regular tees :)

If that offer is still on the table I would love to join! Haven't seen CO National yet but I keep meaning to get up there. Haven't played in a little while but I promise I wont slow you down haha

Arrow, we got to play the Dunes about a month ago! Have you played since then? The tee time just filled this morning with an old friend I haven't seen in a while so the morning won't work. I might be up for making it a day of 36 if you want to play the afternoon.

I'm a member at Highlands Ranch Golf Club and it looks like I'm going to end up with extra passes this year. I'll try to see if there's a good weekend coming up here where we can get a foursome out there and get some good golf in. With our new DU tees, you can stretch it to 7450 which makes for an interesting round of golf or play from the regular tees :)

Let me know on this one. I still have reciprocal at HRGC so I can walk for 14 and ride for 30. I'd like to join you guys and you can save a pass. I'm not sure how long the reciprocal rates will apply either because nash just had an ownership change. SW Greens bought the majority stake so I bet the reciprocal courses change to theirs pretty soon. I hope we keep Fox Hill on the list because it's the perfect compliment to ours. However, if I have to lose Fox to get Riverdale, Plum Creek, and Bear Dance I could live with that.

Arrow, we got to play the Dunes about a month ago! Have you played since then? The tee time just filled this morning with an old friend I haven't seen in a while so the morning won't work. I might be up for making it a day of 36 if you want to play the afternoon.

Let me know on this one. I still have reciprocal at HRGC so I can walk for 14 and ride for 30. I'd like to join you guys and you can save a pass. I'm not sure how long the reciprocal rates will apply either because nash just had an ownership change. SW Greens bought the majority stake so I bet the reciprocal courses change to theirs pretty soon. I hope we keep Fox Hill on the list because it's the perfect compliment to ours. However, if I have to lose Fox to get Riverdale, Plum Creek, and Bear Dance I could live with that.

Yeah man! I've been playing better than that for sure lol swing feels a lot better even though the scores don't necessarily refelect it. It's been hard to get out with school getting more involved so I just have to have realistic expectations when I play. When I do get to play I've been going over to green valley ranch, which is fun layout. The last 3 holes there give me fits though so I have a hard time closing out a good round. If you're up for 36 I'll definitely play, but if not don't sweat it. We can get out some other time.

Today was a pretty inopportune time for the GHIN revision, causing my index to drop a half point. That meant I had to play from the gold tees to keep it at 11 pops. Long story short, I still won 6 & 5. :)

I also shot a respectable 82. Huge props to our forecaddy who gave me amazing putting reads.

Really, all in all, not too bad of a season, considering this was only my 8th time out this year (excluding the two range sessions last month). I will celebrate with taking my clubs out to San Diego in two weeks to play an ocean course.

I'm a member at Blackstone/Black Bear. This is our 2nd year out there and we both love it. My wife really got into golf this year, she joined the women's 9 hole league, played in the CC and we even won the 2nd flight of the couple cc (she carried me).

There are good and bad with both places but all in all the positives outweigh the negative.

We're actually on a golf vacation now taking advantage of the Club Corp membership. We played Bear's best in Vegas and Indian Well CC in Palm Springs so far. We still have Mission Hills and the Omni. As a CC member we only pay cart fees. We're really tried to take advantage of the membership. We went to Scottsdale in March/April and play 3 courses (Seville, Anthem and Gainey ranch). We heading back there in Dec.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4