2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Drewtaylor21's Golf Journey (Swing Changes, WITB, Results)

drewtaylor21

Have you had the chance to watch the driver video Dana did with Brendon on Youtube?

No, curious about it though! Brendon said it'll be publicly available in another couple weeks.

He made it available early to the people who bought the syncing your swing vid. I've watched it a bunch of times and the way he described how the shoulders/pelvis move was really interesting. It def helps from keeping the upper body moving toward the target to early in the swing, which is one of my biggest faults.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had the chance to watch the driver video Dana did with Brendon on Youtube?

No, curious about it though! Brendon said it'll be publicly available in another couple weeks.

He made it available early to the people who bought the syncing your swing vid. I've watched it a bunch of times and the way he described how the shoulders/pelvis move was really interesting. It def helps from keeping the upper body moving toward the target to early in the swing, which is one of my biggest faults.

Did he email you about the new video? I bought the synching video but haven't heard anything about the new video yet.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Did he email you about the new video? I bought the synching video but haven't heard anything about the new video yet.

Go to the syncing your swing video and in the description section, he put a link up to the driver video he did with Dana

Go to the syncing your swing video and in the description section, he put a link up to the driver video he did with Dana

Yeah, I wasn't interested in the other parts of the video, so I didn't buy SYS. I'm cheap and I don't mind waiting haha. Glad to hear the driver vid is helpful though!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Interesting stuff that has some relation to what Dana has me working on

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Interesting stuff that has some relation to what Dana has me working on

[media=]

[/media]

a really good read your thread, always very interested to see the insights and work with a top teacher. Congrats on your improvement so far and look forward to seeing your progress.

Also thanks for posting this video it's a really good watch.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Here is the chip drill followed by a 70% swing: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Is it me or does the downswing on the full swing look really spieth like??

drew, would you mind posting an example of your palmar flexion and ulnar deviation move to instagram if you haven't already, for quick reference for some of us. I've been working on the pivot for awhile now, and i'm still stuck at half swings, 150 yd 6 irons max. Any more effort and i revert to my old slide moves.

Thanks!

Drew,

In the Brendon Driver video, Dana talks about he has a lot of different patterns and the one he was working with Brendon (and you it seems) is the high draw pattern.

Did he go over the fade pattern with you? I know in that one video with you he said a fade was inefficient with today's technology (outside of a push-fade).

Drew,

In the Brendon Driver video, Dana talks about he has a lot of different patterns and the one he was working with Brendon (and you it seems) is the high draw pattern.

Did he go over the fade pattern with you? I know in that one video with you he said a fade was inefficient with today's technology (outside of a push-fade).

I found that a very interesting comment, DJ seems to work well hitting a cut :lol:

Lastmacuser: that's the exact sensation I get with irons when I'm pivoting better and getting a little shallow. This weird sensation of hitting up on irons yet still taking divots. It's almost like because it feels like I'm hitting up I can pump way more power into the shot, hard to describe. When this happens my ball flight is really high but without a ton of spin so it goes pretty far.

Lastmacuser: that's the exact sensation I get with irons when I'm pivoting better and getting a little shallow. This weird sensation of hitting up on irons yet still taking divots. It's almost like because it feels like I'm hitting up I can pump way more power into the shot, hard to describe. When this happens my ball flight is really high but without a ton of spin so it goes pretty far.

Same for me. That's why I asked Drew. It is such a weird feel for me but ballstriking is good. It works for all irons up to 5 then it falls apart for me. Driver is hideous. I think the length of my swing has a lot to do with it. I guess that's why i'm an 8.

drew, would you mind posting an example of your palmar flexion and ulnar deviation move to instagram if you haven't already, for quick reference for some of us. I've been working on the pivot for awhile now, and i'm still stuck at half swings, 150 yd 6 irons max. Any more effort and i revert to my old slide moves.

Thanks!

Here is the chip drill followed by a 70% swing: https://www.instagra...-by=hurryupgolf

Is it me or does the downswing on the full swing look really spieth like??

Zaddn, the instagram link that Dave posted is the best example of ulnar/palmar I can give ya.

And Dave thanks, I know Dana likes a lot of what Spieth does in his swing.

Drew,

Case, no he didn't. My natural shot shape is a fade, so maybe he felt it more beneficial to work the opposite pattern.

And Dave I think it's important to note that he didn't say all fades are bad, just that with today's tech, the better option is to play a fade "from the inside." I don't have the numbers, but it certainly looks like DJ is playing that shot when he fades it off the tee. Nothin cutty looking about that swing to me!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Got out for 9 holes today! First time on the course since July 4th weekend. My wife was out with another friend who just had a son as well, and the weather was absolutely perfect, so I snuck out and gosh, it was great to be back out there :) Had a very solid day ballstriking, hit 7/7 FW, 7/9 GIR (hit what I thought was a perfect 8 iron on #8, went over the green dead on line, then drove it pin high on #9, 20 yards to the pin over a false front and hit it just a bit heavy right into the false front, came rolling back at me for my two missed GIR :( ). Avg proximity on all approaches was 20.4 feet, which I'm very happy with.

Full disclosure: I worked HARD on Dana's material for the last month. I've been hitting balls in the garage every night from 10pm - midnight, and I just could not feel where the face was for the life of me. Funny that Obee mentioned that a page or two back, but it's a big deal. The pull draw or big push fade was all I could seem to hit. I'd say I was hitting push draws about 2 out of 10 and just couldn't get any speed going while maintaining the wrist conditions. So, as of Tuesday I decided to make some little tweaks that allow me to control the face.

1. Main thing I feel I changed is in the takeaway. With both Dana and Dan's teaching, I think I got the hand path going in too quickly with clubhead staying out, which results in a lot of radial deviation (wrist c0ck). For whatever reason, that wrist move makes me lose the face. What I changed was trying to just maintain the wrist c0ck I have at address throughout the backswing. I am still toying with hand path on the takeaway and how much I want the hands going in on the way up...

2. I'm not as focused on ulnar deviation on the downswing. My transition feel is really just palmar flexion of the wrists with the same pivot move I've been using.

3. I'm not trying to hit a push draw. "Optimal" numbers be dammed, I'm good at playing a fade, so I'm playing a fade, just trying to keep it as small a fade as possible. For me this means staying shallow and not getting path too far left.

So with that said, I still see some things I don't love from about p5.5 to p8, but I'm hitting the ball AWESOME. Speed is there and my misses are very manageable. I think I may be hanging back a bit on my right side (FO Driver view), which is something I've done for a long time, but for now, it's time to have something I can take to the course. I have a tourney or two I'd like to play in mid October, so about a month to try and play some more and get things in competitive shape. Those in-between yardages and 15-30 yard pitches will be a focus.

One thing I did notice though, was alignment. I hit a few balls after the round and this really jumped out to me. You'll notice on the 3 wood video here, my alignment is a little bit right of my target, and Dana warned me about this. Just something I'll need to keep an eye on. I made a conscious effort to fix it with the PW, which is the second part of the video:

I do like what Dana has done with my arms and turn, and I think both can be seen well here. My backswing had gotten very short in the last couple years, but I'm getting driver back to just about parallel and speed is up a bit. Not a bad thing!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Some big drives on there you must be hitting full out

What are you actually thinking about over the ball, and how do you take the feel of what you are working on to the ball? It can't be close to automatic yet at this stage?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Some big drives on there you must be hitting full out

What are you actually thinking about over the ball, and how do you take the feel of what you are working on to the ball? It can't be close to automatic yet at this stage?

Full swings, yeah.

I try and do most of my thinking leading up to my pre-shot routine. I do some rehearsal/slow mo moves with thoughts that are all mechanical, then go into my PSR where I try to focus more on feel and ballflight. Over the ball I'm still about 25% mechanics, 75% ballflight visual, so not quite there yet. The takeaway is the key for me right now, so that's the mechanical part.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Lol, I'm at the hospital as Richard has chemo this morning and I let him use my tablet and he didn't sign out and I forgot to sign out and back in, haha. I really enjoyed your thread! Sometimes we get consumed with chasing numbers. I Play a cut. You want a swing that is consistent controlled and that you have 100% confidence in under pressure. Thank you for sharing. Loving thoughts and wishes to you, your wife and little one :) Fondly, Maddie

looks better to me and more natural.

Thanks, definitely more of a natural move for me. I conceptually understand the ulnar deviation thing he wants to see, but just didn't "get it" kinesthetically and couldn't make it work within a full swing. I may be taking some bits and pieces from new and old, and that might not be ideal from an instructor's standpoint, but I'm happy with the result!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Lol, I'm at the hospital as Richard has chemo this morning and I let him use my tablet and he didn't sign out and I forgot to sign out and back in, haha. I really enjoyed your thread! Sometimes we get consumed with chasing numbers. I Play a cut. You want a swing that is consistent controlled and that you have 100% confidence in under pressure. Thank you for sharing. Loving thoughts and wishes to you, your wife and little one :) Fondly, Maddie

Thanks Maddie, we very much appreciate it! My wife is feeling great and my son is growing like a weed, so all seems to be well :) Here's a little something that I hope will brighten both your spirits - I'm really not a fan of hospitals, so my thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

And I totally agree about chasing numbers. I've decided the only numbers I want to chase are the ones I sign for at the end of a round....I've had several dreams over the last month just about playing golf and it reminded me just how much I love playing this game and being on the course trying to score! Thanks again for your thoughts!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Thanks Maddie, we very much appreciate it! My wife is feeling great and my son is growing like a weed, so all seems to be well :) Here's a little something that I hope will brighten both your spirits - I'm really not a fan of hospitals, so my thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

And I totally agree about chasing numbers. I've decided the only numbers I want to chase are the ones I sign for at the end of a round....I've had several dreams over the last month just about playing golf and it reminded me just how much I love playing this game and being on the course trying to score! Thanks again for your thoughts!

OMG, he's soooooo Adorable!!! He is going to be a killer for sure,lol. Richard will love this picture. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a nice day. Fondly, Madison

OMG, he's soooooo Adorable!!! He is going to be a killer for sure,lol. Richard will love this picture. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a nice day. Fondly, Madison

Bro, He's Incredible!! Obviously, phenomenal gene pool and he's adorable however that smile is killer. Like speed and size, you can't teach or coach that. Not a natural from the heart smile. Not THAT smile. I'm so happy for you and your wife!!

Enjoy the life Bro, you've earned it and you deserve it!!

Always,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

]Bro, He's Incredible!! Obviously, phenomenal gene pool and he's adorable however that smile is killer. Like speed and size, you can't teach or coach that. Not a natural from the heart smile. Not THAT smile. I'm so happy for you and your wife!!

Always,

Richard

Haha thanks you guys, we're pretty proud of him :) Yeah, that smile pretty much solves all problems for us these days!

Hope you both are able to enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

]Bro, He's Incredible!! Obviously, phenomenal gene pool and he's adorable however that smile is killer. Like speed and size, you can't teach or coach that. Not a natural from the heart smile. Not THAT smile. I'm so happy for you and your wife!!

Always,

Richard

Haha thanks you guys, we're pretty proud of him :) Yeah, that smile pretty much solves all problems for us these days!

Hope you both are able to enjoy the rest of the weekend!

OMG Drew, this picture put Richard over the edge, lolol. He just texted me(he said I could post but to "be kind," haha):

"We should try for a little guy once I get better and get back in the saddle. Drew's little boy is Amazing. We need a little guy Sweetie. I adore Ava however we should have a little boy too. He can protect and watch over Ava like I did Tracey Lynn."

Sweetheart, just because you or I want one doesn't mean that we'll get one, lol. We'll have to talk about this when you're better. Sorry to derail the thread Drew. I'm as bad as Richard, lol :) Maddie

OMG Drew, this picture put Richard over the edge, lolol. He just texted me(he said I could post but to "be kind," haha):

"We should try for a little guy once I get better and get back in the saddle. Drew's little boy is Amazing. We need a little guy Sweetie. I adore Ava however we should have a little boy too. He can protect and watch over Ava like I did Tracey Lynn."

Sweetheart, just because you or I want one doesn't mean that we'll get one, lol. We'll have to talk about this when you're better. Sorry to derail the thread Drew. I'm as bad as Richard, lol :) Maddie

Haha!! I love that! Not derailing at all, I'm happy my little dude could offer some inspiration. This cracked me up, you guys are awesome :)

Richard, hurry up and get better, it sounds like you've got some work to do, in addition to coming out west to tee it up!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Drew, probably a stupid question, but does Dana ever demonstrate what he wants you to do through actually hitting a shot, or does he just talk about what you should be doing ?

He hasn't ever hit a shot for me, but he does demonstrate the motion he's looking for, yeah.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Drew, probably a stupid question, but does Dana ever demonstrate what he wants you to do through actually hitting a shot, or does he just talk about what you should be doing ?

I had my first in-person lesson with Dana about two months ago. I was struggling with the chip drill that Drew mentioned and Dana hit a couple of chip drivers to demonstrate. Don't recall what the exact numbers were but his path and face were in target range and those shots went well over 200 yards. It was really cool to see how far the ball could go with such a small motion.