Review: Cleveland Classic 2

alcap26 ·  
alcap26alcap26 Charter Members  1379WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,379 Platinum Tees
Background: I have played many different putters. I have owned some tour issued and higher end off the rack. My favorite putter has to be a Scotty Cameron JAT proto. I have been kicking myself over selling it for years. I loathe plumbers necks and face balanced putters. I cannot stand the new "moi" mallets. I have a gated stroke so heel shafted is the only way to go for me. This has been confirmed through putter fittings.

I recently went to the Edwin Watts in Knoxville looking for the Rife Abaco and the Rife Bimini. When I arrived they only had the Rife Bimini. I rolled a few putts with it and it felt pretty good but I was really looking for the Abaco. I played around for a few moments with the odyssey equilavent (black series #9 and white hot #9) and for the life of me I cannot understand why odyssey or how they screwed up the sole grind. They sit on the ground funny to my eye. They look closed. I quickly handed this back to the salesman. He tried pushing a Scotty but I told him only heel shafted and no plumbers neck. I tried one of the new Scotty offerings but I saw no improvement and I was specifically looking for the JAT proto head shape. I turned around and spotted the Cleveland Classic #2 and I thought this might work.

Looks: very polished. mill marks are there but not over stated. I prefer this over some of the mill marks I have seen. I wish the grip was black. I will remedy this problem at a later date. The headcover looks nice and simple with a very nice velcro closure that I like better than the AME design Scotty uses.

Feel: The putter feels softer than my 8813 and Pro Platinum laguna 2 (first year Laguna 2 with the crown on the face and not the dots). Head weight was pretty much spot on for me. I had struggled with the head weight of the 8813 and laguna 2 by adding lead to get them heavier and by the way this putter feels I will not have to do this. Felt a wee bit lighter than the black series 9 but maybe a wee bit heavier than just the standard white hot xg 9.

I rolled putts for about 20-30 minutes and this one stuck out. I looked at the price tag and was shocked to see it was just 70 bucks. I thought for sure it was at least a 150-200 dollar putter. Cleveland has made a very nice putter and a fantastic price. Do not overlook this line of putters. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I am thinking about getting another one and having it flamed...hmmm I wonder how that would look.
Posted:

Comments

• bm303bm303 Members  552WRX Points: 0Posts: 552
    Finally! Thanks a ton for the review, I have been waiting for someone to keep this affordable putter on my list. I have narrowed down my new putter to the Bettinardi C-03, Cleveland Classic #2, Redwood anser, and Scotty Circa #3. Thanks a ton for the review, as my wallet wants me to now get the Cleveland Classic #2!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • spacecowboy1991spacecowboy1991 Members  142WRX Points: 55Posts: 142 Fairways
    in this day and age of shrinking budgets of many americans, its nice to see a company come with a no frills, top quality line of putters that are inexpensive compared to others. i was surprised by this line as well.

hats off to cleveland

Jim
    Posted:
    Whats in my Ping Hoofer?

Taylor Made / SLDR-S / Mini Driver
    Taylor Made / SLDR-S / 15*
    Adams / Tight Lies / 16*
    Taylor Made / SLDR-S / 3 & 4
    Callaway / X20 Tour / 5-PW
    Cleveland / CG12 / 52*, 56*, 60*
    Odyssey / Metal X / #6
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    Oh great! Now I'm gonna get one soon.

Excellent review and honestly I've been eyeing them for a while....now it's a done deal. My local proshop calls!

Peace and thanks.
    Posted:
  • alcap26alcap26 Charter Members  1379WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,379 Platinum Tees
    You are welcome fellas. I am truly impressed and I am very picky about my putters. Have a great weekend.
    Posted:
  • getsweaa6getsweaa6 Members  60WRX Points: 0Posts: 60
    alcap26 that is a great review and believe the classic #2 will be my next putter. also this might give you an idea of how the putter would look torched, someone already gave it a try.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;hl=Cleveland
    Posted:
  • gotemgotem Members  611WRX Points: 93Posts: 611 Golden Tee
    i just got mine yesterday. it is a great putter for $70. it putts pretty well, had a good 20 mins with it on the putting green. crisp off the face and good feedback. the headcover at first looked odd but i agree with op its better than the ame(velcro scratching face). gonna play tomorrow cant wait
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.