2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Memberships South of Boston

bonagolf

So I know this topic has been posted before but mostly in regards to the north or west towns of Boston not the south shore. I recently moved to Quincy and am looking for a new club to join and I'm hoping you guys can send me in the right direction.

- I am 23 years old so hopefully something has a young professional or intermediate rate

- I am looking preferably for a private course but a semi-private will be ok.

- Within 30 minutes driving

- Affordable.

I have already contacted Spring Valley, South Shore, and Wollaston so I am waiting to hear back from them.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Boston Golf in Hingham has had some outstanding young professional rates (relative to the quality of the course - which is top notch.) My sense is it isn't an "email and wait to hear back" type place, though. You may need to find a member.

Also, check out Blue Hill in Canton. 27 holes, used to be owned by members and they sold to a professional club management company a few years ago. From what I've heard, they've done a very nice job since that sale. Also think they have a young professional rate

The obvious one in Quincy is Granite Links as a semi- private place. It's just such a disappointing golf course due to its topography (tons of blind shots, uphill and down hill lies, etc.), but they do a great job with other aspects (condition, club house, views, range, etc.)

I've heard that Boston Golf in Hingham has had some outstanding young professional rates (relative to the quality of the course - which is top notch.) My sense is it isn't an "email and wait to hear back" type place, though. You may need to find a member.

Also, check out Blue Hill in Canton. 27 holes, used to be owned by members and they sold to a professional club management company a few years ago. From what I've heard, they've done a very nice job since that sale. Also think they have a young professional rate

The obvious one in Quincy is Granite Links as a semi- private place. It's just such a disappointing golf course due to its topography (tons of blind shots, uphill and down hill lies, etc.), but they do a great job with other aspects (condition, club house, views, range, etc.)

Thanks for the reply. I think those three courses are all going to be a little out of my price range however. I know Granite is around $4,000 a year for my age group and the other two I can only imagine are even more expensive especially after factoring in their initiation fees.

Spring Valley has had membership drives in recent years, so that should be a more likely candidate for admission without too much "By Invitation Only" requirements. The course, as I remember it, is fairly boring with minimal topographical changes, though in very good shape. They did renovate the course relatively recently.

Blue Hill, as I seem to recall, has lotteries for prime, weekend tee times since they have way too many members. My information may be dated since the sale but be careful with that.

Wollaston has a very good course but you might need a member more than a blind call. The clubhouse is definitely 70s architecture on the outside. Nice, private course.

Walpole CC has trial memberships available and is right about at the 30-minute drive mark from Quincy (depends on exact address). They have junior memberships available but "Affordable" is subjective.

On the pricey side, though not sure of any junior membership deals, are Black Rock and Boston Golf Club. I don't think either of these would be considered "Affordable" but it can't hurt to ask. Both are newer courses in the grand scheme of private course in the area and may have better access for new membership. (I can imagine the subsequent posts calling out that these 2 wouldn't be affordable!)

I just got an answer back from Wollaston and while they have availability for Junior memberships and the $2,200 annual fee is great I can't swing the $15k initiation. I am holding out hope for Spring Valley still but I may have to look more at the semi-private courses. I know South Shore has a $1,550 limited rate for juniors where we just cant play before noon on the weekends. $3,000 if you want to play before noon but I think playing in the afternoon is worth saving $1,500

I just got an answer back from Wollaston and while they have availability for Junior memberships and the $2,200 annual fee is great I can't swing the $15k initiation. I am holding out hope for Spring Valley still but I may have to look more at the semi-private courses. I know South Shore has a $1,550 limited rate for juniors where we just cant play before noon on the weekends. $3,000 if you want to play before noon but I think playing in the afternoon is worth saving $1,500

I would skip South Shore and bounce around different courses not worth the money imo

if you can get in @ Marshfield CC - you might not ever leave

Harmon is a good deal if you like to practice and looking for a place w/ excellent instruction etc

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

LeBaron Hills in Lakeville is either just inside or somewhat outside your 30 minute range, depending on where you are in Quincy. It has the young professional rates you are looking for, I think (I'm a member there).

Back when I looked at Spring Valley, they were very expensive (~10k/year). They likely are less now, but if you are balking at $4000, I doubt they will have anything for you.

[quote name='cbbaron' timestamp='1470184451' post='14022448']I would skip South Shore and bounce around different courses not worth the money imo
[/quote]

+1. I lived in Boston proper and played a ton of golf during my mid- to late-20s. I considered joining a semi-private, or private, course, but it just did not make sense with so many great semi-privates on the South Shore. You can play places like Pine Hills off season for $55 on a weekend afternoon, or get their [url="http://www.pinehillsgolf.com/membership/"]twilight membership for $3.3k[/url].

The other thing to keep in mind (since you are in your early 20s) is potentially moving, and then losing your initiation fee, or waiting forever to get it back.

I agree with the comment about Granite Links. I played it a handful of times for work and never liked the layout, but it was always in great shape.

Plymouth Country Club has a young adult membership up to 35 years old under 3K per year, prorated for those joining in August, no initiation, no restrictions on play time. There are also junior memberships for under 26 but playing times are restricted to non prime time. There is a Fall Membership also starting in September until end of year for $500. Donald Ross course. Just off Exit 4.

• 5 weeks later...

LeBaron Hills in Lakeville is either just inside or somewhat outside your 30 minute range, depending on where you are in Quincy. It has the young professional rates you are looking for, I think (I'm a member there).

Back when I looked at Spring Valley, they were very expensive (~10k/year). They likely are less now, but if you are balking at $4000, I doubt they will have anything for you.

How is this course, I will be playing it shortly, I'm curious how it plays

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

Indian Pond in Kingston is an AWESOME course, one of my top 3 fav private clubs in MA. It's a real hidden gem. I have played there twice and it's a blast to play. Super easy to get to off Rt. 3S

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

How is this course, I will be playing it shortly, I'm curious how it plays

Lebaron can play long. Very wide open. Can be difficult to get a target off the tee

Excellent range. Pool. Clubhouse. Good value for fair $

I have a round coming up there soon

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Longer than a 30 min drive, but Franklin CC is outstanding. My Uncle is a member so I get to play the course frequently. Top notch amenities and the course is a great layout that's always in excellent condition. They just built a new range/practice facility too.

That new Franklin range is incredible. Grass is in incredible shape, tons of room. Course is a fun course, in good shape. Only golf and pool, though, no tennis. Lots of very good golfers at FCC too

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that they still are asking for full initiation at Franklin CC?

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond 8* - Fujikura Ventus TR Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Nippon Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

Indian Pond in Kingston is an AWESOME course, one of my top 3 fav private clubs in MA. It's a real hidden gem. I have played there twice and it's a blast to play. Super easy to get to off Rt. 3S

I bet they have deals going on as well.....good course a lot of fun to play. Don't know how active the membership is and they probably try to host a lot of outing play to generate revenue.

I think Pinehills has some different membership deals and you could look at Waverly Oaks as well. Harmon is great option as well. it all depends on what you're looking for.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

I know they have a very active membership and members book teetimes in advance, when I was there it was a Friday and it was jammed all day. I know they offer a great deal for Mon-Thurs unlimited play which my buddy does. For Fri-Sun, you have to pay the normal guest fee if I remember right.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]