Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I played Cherry Creek today because one of our foursome had some coupons to use up before they expired. Very slow pace as usual . I don't really care too much for the layout either having to hit over marshes often. On one par 5 you can't use driver off the tee because you'll hit into a marsh area. The course was in decent shape but I couldn't get used to the pace or condition of the greens. The groupgolfer coupons we're only $30 to play on Sunday, but usually Cherry Creek is overpriced, imo. We had to skip a couple holes on the front nine and jump over to the back nine to continue play otherwise we never would have finished. I guess it was a nice day out to swing the clubs but I guess I would have rather played somewhere else,Although, I think most places are somewhat busy. I just don't have much tolerance for play anymore.

I participated in a "Ryder Cup-style" competition in Indiana a week ago. 32 old farts from SE Michigan versus 32 senior golfers from all over Indiana. It was a "net" event but they did a decent job of setting matches so there was rarely more than 1 stroke given or taken in a match.

Our foursomes matches were modified as Scottish Foursomes where each player tees off, a drive is selected and then the players alternate shots from there. It was a concession to the fact that the majority of the players had course handicaps in excess of 9. True alternate shot is tough when one player is struggling off the tee.

The foursomes and four-ball matches were nine holes. The final day singles was 18.

Michigan dominated both days (40 to 24), perhaps due to more questionable handicaps?? ;) I think everyone had a decent time although being on the winning side is definitely more fun.

I enjoyed the team formats (foursomes & four-ball) since it allowed a bit more strategy. Plus one can lean on the partner a bit. Singles was stressful. I definitely prefer playing the course versus playing an opponent, except when I know my opponent and can give him the needle.

OU Ryder Cup competition starts today. I'm pumped but I haven't played in almost two weeks so I might suck @ss!

Well?? How were the teams decided? Did you play foursomes, four-ball and singles? How did your team do?

First week was awful. I hadn't played in two weeks due to sickness and a neck injury. We were on katke and played two man best ball and my partner and I couldn't keep the ball in play off the tee. I was 8 over after 5 holes and I was giving 5 strokes to the other guy and he was even par lol. My partner and the other guy on the opposing side had equal handicaps. They ended up beating us 7 and 6.

The next week was a two man scramble on sharf and I was crushing driver all day and we won 5 up. I had a different partner and our styles matched up well.

This coming week it's a shamble on katke. Hopefully I'll be ok. I play much better on sharf.

The last two weeks are individual play but I might miss them due to work obligations.

This rainy weather has really put a damper on my golf. Sounds like the weekend is going to continue to be wet. I may need to pull the rain gear out of the closet and splash around the course just to get my golf fix.

I have outings tmrw and Sunday :(

Played in an outing at Pheasant Run yesterday. Thankfully it was only 9 holes but because the course was completely waterlogged, it was cart path only, and it took over 3 HOURS!!!

I can't believe the bastards made us play - it was a pure money grab on their part. At most courses when there is standing water on EVERY fairway and the bunkers are full of water they close the course - not send a 84 person outing out to play. It'll be a cold day in h&@$ before I go back there!

Oh and if you do go play remember you don't get any roll on the fairway and the ball doesn't go as far off the irons and putting sucks too!

This rainy weather has really put a damper on my golf. Sounds like the weekend is going to continue to be wet. I may need to pull the rain gear out of the closet and splash around the course just to get my golf fix.

I'm getting to the point in life where I will only play in decent weather. Being retired I have many time slots to select from and will wait out the bad weather to play golf. Funny incident the other day, not weather related, looking for a golf ball that I hit into a creek. The ground gave out below my foot and sunk two feet into the water. It was a sunny day but I still got a "soaker". Fortunately for me I had an extra pair of golf shoes in the car and this happened on the 9th hole. I finished up the ninth hole ran over the car and got some new shoes on.

Played Pierce Lake in Chelsea this morning. This a bit soft from all the rain last week but in pretty nice condition. The back nine greens were recently aerated & top dressed. I suspect the front is going to get it soon.

I walked 18 as a senior for $15, a bargain.

I think this is one of the better muni courses in SE Michigan.

Played Pierce Lake in Chelsea this morning. This a bit soft from all the rain last week but in pretty nice condition. The back nine greens were recently aerated & top dressed. I suspect the front is going to get it soon.

I walked 18 as a senior for $15, a bargain.

I think this is one of the better muni courses in SE Michigan.

Pretty tough for a ~20 handicap otherwise I'd take more friends there.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Played Pierce Lake ...

Pretty tough for a ~20 handicap otherwise I'd take more friends there.

Yes, anyone who struggles hitting off the tee straight or can't reliably carry a shot over a cross hazard should play elsewhere. Length is not an issue with the multiple tees but one needs to keep it out of the woods and make one's ball airborne at times.

Played my first round of the year, 3 months after my surgery. It was so much fun to be back out there. I've lost a good bit of yardage, but I expect that'll come back as I continue to strengthen the hand and arm. Otherwise, I just have to get used to being a short knocker :D

The funny thing was that my driver was far and away the best club in my bag today, which I'm sure is unusual for someone of my handicap who had only hit balls one other time this year.

I chipped really well, too (for me), and my putting good, when it was good. Of course I had some bad missed and some inconsistency. But I made putts (6-10 footers) that I used to just try to lag up there for a tap in. I seem to putt better when my only thought is "hole it". It's a brand new approach, and I blew quite a few by the hole. But it's promising :)

I left a lot of shots out there, of course; I was thinning everything, and I couldn't hit a decent pitch for the first 11 holes; skull city all over the place. But I also had two birdies, including a two-putter on a par 5. Man, I had a blast! Too bad the season's almost over, because I am amped, lol!

Uncorked a 285 yard drive yesterday (my average is closer to 220). Maybe those exercises are helping ... that and the 2-3 bounces off the cart path. ;)

Every once in a while I "nut" one, and it goes as far as 270ish. But I am more like your distance of about 220 average. I also like courses about 6000 yards, 6200 max. If it gets longer then that I have trouble. I have lost distance with age and injuries, but still love the game, just not at 6500 yards.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Uncorked a 285 yard drive yesterday (my average is closer to 220). Maybe those exercises are helping ... that and the 2-3 bounces off the cart path. ;)

Every once in a while I "nut" one, and it goes as far as 270ish.

Unless a very hard object intervenes, my drive it not going 270. The last 500+ yard par 5 I hit in two was in Scotland with their very firm fairways and brisk breezes.

I played Greystone Golf Course yesterday and it was in nice shape. I sure wish people would repair their ball marks on the green though, as there were too many unrepaired. All in all the course was in good shape. .

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

First post in Detroit Area threads and thought I would share a photo from my morning round at Golden Hawk GC. Course is in nice shape and plenty of fall colors to see. Sorry, tried everything, photo will not post straight.

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10.5 Rogue Max 75 X
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15° 3 wood Rogue Max 85 X
Callaway Razr X Tour 3 Hybrid
Srixon Z 745 PX 6.0 4-P
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50° 54° 58° PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 33" (2014)
Srixon Z Star XV

First post in Detroit Area threads and thought I would share a photo from my morning round at Golden Hawk GC. Course is in nice shape and plenty of fall colors to see. Sorry, tried everything, photo will not post straight.

Nice photo, I ... ouch! I think I threw my neck out! ;)

Fixed it! I hope your neck feels better! :)

Srixon Z 745 PX 6.0 4-P
Srixon Z Star XV

Nice photo, decent course, the power lines that cross a few times do suck.

The worst part about hitting the power lines is the fact that it was a great shot heading straight to the pin. The rules allow for a "takeover" which is usually a poor shot.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

The worst part about hitting the power lines is the fact that it was a great shot heading straight to the pin. The rules allow for a "takeover" which is usually a poor shot.

That is so unbelievably true! I've played in a league there for 10 years and have lost count how many times I've had a perfect shot knocked down by the power lines.

Srixon Z 745 PX 6.0 4-P
Srixon Z Star XV