Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

iomarkoi

Does anyone still play these clubs?

I've had a set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu (3-SW) since I was 13 (25 years ago). I recently started getting back into golf so I regripped the irons with GP New Decade, all new everything else (driver, hybrid, putter, bag etc).

I hit these irons well and have always loved the feel and look of them. A lot of the newer irons feel 'clumsy' and 'fat' so I've stuck with the E2's.

Should I be really be retiring the old girls and buying new?

*apologies if in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post this.

I've had a set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu (3-SW) since I was 13 (25 years ago). I recently started getting back into golf so I regripped the irons with GP New Decade, all new everything else (driver, hybrid, putter, bag etc).

I hit these irons well and have always loved the feel and look of them. A lot of the newer irons feel 'clumsy' and 'fat' so I've stuck with the E2's.

Welcome to the Classic section IO. An appropriate place to post your query. The anser to your question lies in the bolded sentence. Ping E2 BeCu's? Absolutely!! If E2's worked for you then, they'll work for you now. Iconic irons that have stood the test of time. Therefore a classic in my book and still relevant to this day. Its all about how you play them, not how "new" they are. Plus, great fun besting playing partners with shiny new things and you have your trusty 25 year old irons.

How about posting a pic or two? We like pics around here.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ping got soooo much right with these, and still play well today.

I have a stainless set for the odd round (nostalgia puroses) - provided i remember to go an iron longer than my normal set for each distance (weak lofts etc etc) they are still a great set of irons. Love the ease of use throughout the whole set.

When I saw the Topic, I knew we had a 'new' guy. Welcome pal.

To anser your question, There will always be guys playing Eye 2's. One of the best irons ever made. I got mine in May 1985, 2 thru L. Still play them at least 5 times a month. Always a pleasure. My friend '53 Precision has a full set also, and we have Ping Day all the time!

GolfWRX has a "anyone still playing eye2's?" thread that you should check out. There are 930 posts into the thread and 215k views.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

GolfWRX has a "anyone still playing eye2's?" thread that you should check out. There are 930 posts into the thread and 215k views.

That's the best thread on the whole of wrx! Love reading through it

When I saw the Topic, I knew we had a 'new' guy. Welcome pal.

To anser your question, There will always be guys playing Eye 2's. One of the best irons ever made. I got mine in May 1985, 2 thru L. Still play them at least 5 times a month. Always a pleasure. My friend '53 Precision has a full set also, and we have Ping Day all the time!

Our "Ping Day" applies to the irons (the ones made from the middle of 1984 until the fall of 1985 "Other Patents Pending" instead of a second patent number in the stamp) and Dalehead putters, the woods can be anything, '50's persimmon or modern...always a great day...

Thanks for the welcome.

I remember the very first time I hit an E2 when I was about 11, it blew me away how good it felt to hit, so sweet and the ball (balata back then) just flew with the sweetest trajectory. I've never lost that appreciation for the clubs so I am glad to hear they are still well received out there today.

I'll post some pics when I go to the range in the next few days.

Indeed. I gamed the original Ping Eye 2s as a junior golfer and I currently game a set of 1991 Ping Eye 2+ irons. They're classic, playable and collectible--I see no reason to retire them anytime soon. They age well with their minimal/industrial design and matte finish. I hit forged blades well too, so maybe, someday, when I have a few hundred dollars lying around, I might upgrade to some type of Mizuno or Titleist blades, but until then, the Eye 2 is solid, a hybrid of modern and classic sensibilities, and I play well with them. The only real game improvement clubs since the perimeter weighted Eye 2 has been in the driver/wood/hybrid department. Most everything else is between your ears, ooh shiny marketing. I say, hit what you like, but I'd enjoy those irons as long as you can.

Welcome eye-oh,

Just sold a set of 2+ a couple of months ago. Standard black dots that were a bit upright for me, but I do rotate a set of red dot Zings, and red dot Nickel Isi's in the bag when I'm not playing my Wilson's.

They still look and perform like the day they rolled off the shelf.

Lots of life left in those old Pings. You should enjoy them.

I played my own set of Eye2+ quite a bit this year, with good effect. Excellent clubs.

That said, there are a couple things about them that, for me, make them a less than ideal fit. First is the amount of bounce in the long irons; the 2 thru 4 irons have negative bounce, with the 5 iron having 0° bounce. It's not a horrible thing, considering I play near zero bounce blades as an alternative, but it does nag at me a bit on occasion.

The other thing about them for me.... for some reason, I hit the Eye2+ farther, loft for loft, than I do my various blades (think it's spin, but for this, it's not important why). When delofting the short irons just a bit, I have hit some crazy length shots, all the more incredible for the lofts of those clubs, which are 35°, 39.5°, and 44° for the 7 thru 9 irons. But interestingly, while I also hit the PW farther than my 49° blade pitching wedges, I do not get as much of a distance jump with that club, giving me something of a gap between 9i and PW.

Just a bit of grist for the ol' mill. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

If Eye 2s were introduced today as new clubs, they'd sell by the thousands. Many of the PING irons that followed are just variations of the Eye 2s. They're not that pretty, but very effective tools...like Craftsman.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

If Eye 2s were introduced today as new clubs, they'd sell by the thousands. Many of the PING irons that followed are just variations of the Eye 2s. They're not that pretty, but very effective tools...like Craftsman.

Agreed! I absolutely love the clones that I have in the vintage bag, copious amounts of offset and all. The high toe seems to be the key for a guy like myself who can get more than a bit toey with my irons. It keeps the ballflight straight!

I'm still mulling over the bag for all seasons; I'm not sure what it will look like, but it's set from the 4 iron on down with the Eye 2 clones, Tom Watson wedge and Zing putter. The Ginty is in there for sure that leaves room for a tee club and a spoon with a combination of laminates, early metal woods and moderns in the running. Leading candidates are the yet to be built Ping G2 14° driver and offset Cobra Baffler fairway. I should get on that as it would make for a great stand alone bag of period clubs as we transitioned from blades and persimmon to the modern era! :pimp:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just picked up a set of E2 BeCu's that were found in a neighbors uncle storage shed. He knew I played so he brought them over. Gave him $100 and we both were happy. Original Ping grips, that are totally wasted and the heads have really tarnished, but look great. Got 2 thru W (no 3 iron) and the 7 iron was an apparent replacement, but with a different serial number. The rest of the set all match with a really early 5 digit number starting with 1 and the replacement 7 iron also has an early 5 digit number starting with a 2. Have contacted Ping to get a mfg date, but I suspect they were made in the first batch of the BeCu's, 83/84?. Also asked if there would be the possibility of getting the replacement 7 iron re-numbered to match, but either way I don't think it would really make all that much difference. I intend to hold onto these and play them for awhile.

Thoughts...............

As long as lie angle (color code) and length are right for you I would simply regrip them and play them as they are.

If you want to make them look real pretty you can give them and overnight soak in Coca-Cola and then wash with soap and water. Any stubborn bits of tarnish or corrosion can be removed with some elbow grease and a liberal application of Bar Keepers Friend.

I did this with my Precision II Dictator BeCu irons and was happy with the result but a few of the clubs were badly corroded and needed some work. If all your Eye 2's are suffering from is aging and have developed a nice even chocolate brown patina, I would be inclined to leave them as is which is what I did with my RAM Tom Watson wedge.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yeah, they have a nice chocolate brown patina, will most likely leave them that way. Got the reply from Ping and they were mfg'd in 86. They also stated that they can't/won't re-serialize, but will gladly replace with a new club with the same serial number at a good price I imagine. Replacement club with shipping, most likely would cost just as much as I paid for the entire set. Thanks but no thanks Ping...............