andrew_m WITB Fall 17 - Blacked out M1 430, M2 DF, MB Smoke, Kia Ma

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Right, rather than study for my Evidence exam on thursday, I've been tweaking my bag and planning out what I'm going to do with it.

First, there's going to be a new driver in the family soon! A Callaway BB Alpha 815 DBD with an Aldila RIP Beta 70X. Very excited about this one. Think it'll be sort of a continuation of the R9 Superdeeps I've played previously. Hoping to gain some height on the drives while keeping spin down.

Second, I bought a Rogue 125 MSI 60 TX shaft off of the BST a while back for a great price, and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. It's been cut down to fairway length, so I can't put it in my driver. I think what I'm going to do is put it in that RBZ Tour Spoon I couldn't get off the ground and use it like a tee club for shorter par 4's. It took me a while to figure out what to do with this shaft, but I wanted to have some fun with it and I think this is the best way.

Oh! I also bought a Raylor hybrid with a KBS Tour X off of the BST, and that's going to fill the gap beneath the RBZ TS. I love this thing. It's so easy to hit, nice deep face, and it cuts right through rough.

Evidence was terrible. Con law monday, so I'm messing around and thinking about building a new bag. I love desert golf--we-ko-pa saguaro and cholla, troon north, arizona national, and grayhawk are some of the best golf experiences I've had--and I was thinking of building a desert themed mostly-ping bag with some headcovers from we-ko-pa. Probably just try for everything off of eBay. Here's what I was thinking

Ping Rapture 9 (vs proto by you 65)

Ping Rapture 14 (same-75)

Adams idea pro 18 (same-80)

Ping Eye2 BeCu 3-LW (if i can swing the sand and lob wedges)

Think if I can pick up the driver and fw for about $165 combined, the hybrid for $30, and the irons for $200, that's a pretty great set for right around $400.

• 5 months later...

Picked up an entire bag of clubs since I last posted. It's become my every day bag, and I really like it. I've wanted a set of Callaway 07 X Forged irons for years, and picked up a set for a steal -- $134 off the Golfsmith used rack, and got them regripped for $80 -- and two X Forged Vintage wedges (50/54) for $45. Then, won an eBay auction for a 815 14 degree three wood with a 757 evo TS X for $91. Finally, picked up two adams idea pro hybrids--a 2 on eBay for $18, and a 3 on Callaway Preowned for $25. Add my $150 815 DBD, and the whole bag cost me about $500. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

Still playing with a desert bag idea, and I have a couple updated thoughts on it. Now that I have a bargain basement bag, I'd like to make this one higher end.

i25 HZRDUS Black 75

2014 Rapture 13 HZRDUS Black 85

Rapture DI HZRDUS Black 105

iBlade Custom Black Satin 3-P Recoil Prototype 110 or Steelfiber 110

Glide Custom Black Satin SS 52/58

I was thinking of getting the iBlades and wedges done by Tiger Nick. I've seen their work on eBay and here on WRX and always wanted to try them. I think the iBlades would look filthy in a black satin finish.

Hoping to buy a Circa 62 No. 7 in the near future. If anyone is selling one in good condition, I'm interested.

I'm probably going to try and sell some of my extra clubs and experiments I have laying around when I have a bit of time.

• 1 month later...

Once again, it's finals time, which means I'm in the library 12 hours a day and thinking about my bag a lot. I'm really pleased with my setup at the moment. I realize I haven't posted pictures in ages, really need to do that--happy with my callaway backup bag, it's worked out great. My R9 TP 13 degree is duking it out with a new-to-me Rapture 2014 13 off the BST. My Kia Ma Maranello has been shelved for the time being for the SC Circa #7--what an amazing-feeling putter, especially with the Flatso 1.0.

I'll be in SD for the summer, which I'm pumped about. Managed to land a really great internship opportunity which will really boost my resume heading into 3L year. Will be eating cheap fish tacos and food from Las Cuatra Milpas every day.

Would also like to give a shoutout to the fellas at Music City Golf in Nashville for helping me the past few months with my bag. If anyone in Nashville is looking for the best in custom gear and club building, go see them. Cannot recommend them enough.

Also have some serape hybrid covers on the way (thank you again, BST). Hoping to pick up a maroon golf bag with a course logo from a course back in SD/OC...torrey? Pelican? Monarch Beach? Crossings? Had the opportunity to play Oak Quarry again over Thanksgiving. Forgot how cool that course is--shame it's an hour away from where my family's living.

Hows the 09 tp driving iron? I play the irons and I'd like to try the 4. I tried a UDI and it launched so high that I lost distance

It's good! It's got kind of a strange feel at first, like halfway between a hybrid and an iron, but you get used to it. I haven't hit the four, but the 2 with the RIP and the 3 with the HZRDUS launch fairly low. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say the HZRDUS is more stable and less prone to right misses than the RIP.

I've seen a 4 floating around on eBay--if you pick it up, let me know how it goes!

The smoke blades, man those are amazing!!

They never get old, but let me tell you, a set of blacked out Miura Baby Blades has been calling my name!

Hows the 09 tp driving iron? I play the irons and I'd like to try the 4. I tried a UDI and it launched so high that I lost distance

It's good! It's got kind of a strange feel at first, like halfway between a hybrid and an iron, but you get used to it. I haven't hit the four, but the 2 with the RIP and the 3 with the HZRDUS launch fairly low. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say the HZRDUS is more stable and less prone to right misses than the RIP.

I've seen a 4 floating around on eBay--if you pick it up, let me know how it goes!

The smoke blades, man those are amazing!!

They never get old, but let me tell you, a set of blacked out Miura Baby Blades has been calling my name!

Ugh I know! It was originally on here (BST), but then someone bought it while I was trying to make a deal with the guy. Then it was on eBay twice and I tried setting an alert for when it got posted but the alerts never worked. Now it's disappeared

Ugh I know! It was originally on here (BST), but then someone bought it while I was trying to make a deal with the guy. Then it was on eBay twice and I tried setting an alert for when it got posted but the alerts never worked. Now it's disappeared

I feel like I see a fair amount of TM tour issue stuff transition from here to eBay, or is that just me? I'll sometimes try to wait it out, only to have it pop up on eBay for $30 over original asking. I've not sold anything on the BST, but have a few tour issue things sitting in the garage that I'm never going to use and might fetch a few dollars here. Really would rather just see them go to a good home than sit gathering dust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my current setup - can't see it changing anytime soon.

Backup bag is Callaway.

And my gamer.

Edit: I've wanted a Ping Rapture 2014 for ages and finally got one, but it's rather large to hit off the deck. I can hit it, it's just not all that comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I love those TM irons. I've had the same black smoke ones!

Thanks! Thinking about seeing if I can send the satin ones off to be stripped so I can have a raw set.

Also, got a few things coming in the next couple days. Some new Seamus covers and a Reign Black G-T shaft. Would like to put it into an M1 or M2, probably going to hit up the local shop to do some testing and order one, then ship it to Continental and have the crown made matte black and matte carbon.

Happy to report that I went to Music City Golf in Belle Meade this morning and picked up a lightly used M1 430 head. I put a Matrix Reign Black I picked up off the BST earlier in the week in the M1 430, 460, and M2. My dispersion numbers were pretty similar with M1 430 vs 460 vs M2, and M2 didn't really give me the distance gains that I think a lot of other people have seen. If anything, my dispersion with M2 was focused around the center dead straight and a bit more right with the 430. I prefer a cut anyway.

Final setup - M1 430 8.5 with Reign Black G-60T Tour Issue X.

I was at about 2500 spin and 16.3 LA with the 430 in the setting I ended up going with, and picked up about 3.5 mph clubhead speed over the R9 Superdeep.

M1 460 I was at about 2800 spin and 17 LA, M2 2900/17.

I'd like to send the head off to Continental and have this done to it.

• 4 weeks later...

M1 is back from Continental, and they did a phenomenal job. It looks amazing with the Reign Black. I took it out to the range yesterday and it is the best driver I've ever hit. Wind was blowing pretty steady, gusting up to about 30mph, and it cut right through the wind like it was nothing. Piercing, flat flight carrying 15-20 yards further than anything else I own. Can't wait to get it out on the course - next time I play will probably be at the Ocean Course at Kiawah in a couple weeks. I think I'm finally satisfied with my bag, but an M2 DF or an M2 Tour might be able to unseat the Rapture.

Really hard to get a good shot of the shaft, but here's the best one I got.

The Kingdom headcover I have on it because I'm jealous I'm not there with the other WRX'ers.

Had the opportunity to purchase a 16 M2 15 degree for an unbeatable price. It comes with a Black Tie 80M4, and I'm looking forward to hitting it. Somehow I've ended up with matrix shafts in my woods completely by accident, but I can't say I'm unhappy about it! Will likely send it into continental as well, albeit after Charleston next week.

The flat black M1 looks fantastic.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Went to the range today to hit the M2! It's a very strange club. I don't think it has the solid feel at impact of the R9 or the 2014 Rapture, and it's about as far removed in terms of feel from the SLDR TP as you can get (not necessarily a bad thing). Still, I was hitting it pretty well, so I'm going to head back to the range Sunday and Monday to work with it some more.

In terms of my swing, I'm working on getting the toe of the club pointing up in my backswing and keeping the club low to the ground immediately after impact.

Ocean Course next week, can't wait.

Can't figure out how to post a video, so here's a very laggy gif. You can see I'm really open at the top - this happens when I don't get the toe straight up in my takeaway. Quite a wakeup call!

http://imgur.com/a/2TIUy

I think you need to work on footwork more than club position. Your back foot comes off the ground before you even hit the ball. Takes a lot of skill to make good contact hitting off one foot! Haha.

Keep that footwork under control and the swing will come. Don't focus too much on positions. Whatever works and is repeatable....

Can't figure out how to post a video, so here's a very laggy gif. You can see I'm really open at the top - this happens when I don't get the toe straight up in my takeaway. Quite a wakeup call!

I think you need to work on footwork more than club position. Your back foot comes off the ground before you even hit the ball. Takes a lot of skill to make good contact hitting off one foot! Haha.

Keep that footwork under control and the swing will come. Don't focus too much on positions. Whatever works and is repeatable....

Didn't even catch that!! Thanks for the heads up. I've always had trouble keeping my balance on the follow through.

In modest defense, mats + sneakers aren't a great combo for traction.

Didn't even catch that!! Thanks for the heads up. I've always had trouble keeping my balance on the follow through.

In modest defense, mats + sneakers aren't a great combo for traction.

Hey I hear ya. My footwork isn't great either. You have a nice swing tho!