making the switch to Chrome soft

bogeypro

Just some random thoughts on the ball I've been playing this summer.

I had played Titleist balls for years. Never even considered a different ball. I've been playing the chrome soft this summer because I can get them at a good price. I hadn't thought much about them for the last couple months, to be honest. Then, last week I tried my old trusty Prov1x again... Wow, I noticed the difference big time. To the point where I actually didn't even like the feel at all. The Prov1x feels much harder off the driver and putter, about the same on the irons. Performance wise, I was actually hitting the Chrome Soft farther off the driver and about the same off the irons. Spin is pretty close, but I think the Chrome Soft has a little more grab on those shots 50 yards and in. So, it comes down to feel... and I really really like the feel off the driver and putter much better.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chrome soft is the real deal... titleist needs to bring their A game with the the next ball to continue to dominate ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I played the chrome soft most of the year along with the snell and the new b330/s. The chrome soft is a great ball, but shorter off the driver than the snell or b330 for me. There are a few balls that almost have the complete package for me....I will keep trying though! I remember my first few holes with a chrome soft..my father in law gave me one of my mother in laws to try after I lost a snell... thing felt good and with a works putter was the most marshmallow feeling off the putter ever.

Stepped away from the CS to the B330 RX (Admitteldy 2014 or 15 model). Found the CS ballooned off the Driver for me and lost distance. I also found it way too springy off the face. Wedges would back up 5 to 10m on me and absolutely hated this! Went back to the SR3 and hit it great off driver and putter but lost distance on Irons. Drop and stop that I love as well!

330 has the right mixture of it all above. Will be interesting to see the 2017 CS model and if it solves these problems for me but in the meantime the Rx is for me.

Supersoft is pretty nice too!

If you like a ball that feels like a marshmallow, has zero spin, and catch random flyers from the fairway with short irons that sail the green by 20 yards then it's great.

Lol, I have been dumbfounded many times watching shots fly the green from perfect lies using super softs.

I tried a dozen just for the heck of it and actually kinda liked the feel. However, watching shots going straight at the pin from 75-150 yards only to see it bound way over the green made that a short experiment. IMO it's a good ball for senior players or people with very slow swing speeds. I'm sure the DUO and other ultra low compression balls perform the same way.

Also tried a dozen of the SS and felt like I was constantly hitting flyers with short irons and wedges. Gave half of them away

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Also tried a dozen of the SS and felt like I was constantly hitting flyers with short irons and wedges. Gave half of them away

mushy core + surlyn cover = flyers, guaranteed

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

If you like a ball that feels like a marshmallow, has zero spin, and catch random flyers from the fairway with short irons that sail the green by 20 yards then it's great.

Actually I've played this ball exclusively since the day it came out which is over 3 years now. Couldn't disagree with you anymore (except for the soft feel). I have tried to kick this ball out of my bag and I can't. This ball spins more than any ball I've ever played. Around the greens I can get it to do anything I want. Actually my biggest problem is chipping around the greens, the ball literally checks and dies everytime. Which is why I have been looking at other balls. I have to almost fly it to the hole every time. And flop shots literally fall from the sky. Have never once caught a flyer and have zero problems holding the greens. Have also never once experienced the flyer off the putter that others claim. For me I love the soft feel. I've tried the CS and it feels like a rock. I will use the Supersoft before any other ball. Last week I had a long carry, over water. It was a hero shot that I had ZERO chance of pulling off. I grabbed a brand new Pro V1 out of my bag for the shot because I cared less about losing that ball, then I did a Super Soft. This is from a guy who is a zero spin player and before this ball, really struggled around the greens. I will play this ball until they no longer make it.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

Actually I've played this ball exclusively since the day it came out which is over 3 years now. Couldn't disagree with you anymore (except for the soft feel). I have tried to kick this ball out of my bag and I can't. This ball spins more than any ball I've ever played. Around the greens I can get it to do anything I want. Actually my biggest problem is chipping around the greens, the ball literally checks and dies everytime. Which is why I have been looking at other balls. I have to almost fly it to the hole every time. And flop shots literally fall from the sky. Have never once caught a flyer and have zero problems holding the greens. Have also never once experienced the flyer off the putter that others claim. For me I love the soft feel. I've tried the CS and it feels like a rock. I will use the Supersoft before any other ball. Last week I had a long carry, over water. It was a hero shot that I had ZERO chance of pulling off. I grabbed a brand new Pro V1 out of my bag for the shot because I cared less about losing that ball, then I did a Super Soft. This is from a guy who is a zero spin player and before this ball, really struggled around the greens. I will play this ball until they no longer make it.

Lol. Well I suppose you are what they call an anomaly and your game defies the laws of physics. It happens on here a good bit.

You guys won't be disappointed in Callaway's offering for 2017. I had the opportunity to attend the chrome soft event last week. The new ball that they're coming out with (that I can't say much about) is what a lot of you folks are looking for. I did not like the 2016 version of the chrome soft… Marshmallow, mushy feel off the putter, and a loss of distance on my irons. But the new version, well, let's just say I've already committed to switch from the ProV1...

You guys won't be disappointed in Callaway's offering for 2017. I had the opportunity to attend the chrome soft event last week. The new ball that they're coming out with (that I can't say much about) is what a lot of you folks are looking for. I did not like the 2016 version of the chrome soft… Marshmallow, mushy feel off the putter, and a loss of distance on my irons. But the new version, well, let's just say I've already committed to switch from the ProV1...

Mehhhh. That's what was said when the 2016 version came out and there wasn't a discernible difference between it and the 15. There's only so much they can change in a ball and technology has pretty much peaked. They can only make it so much firmer before they will have to switch the name because there won't be anything "soft" about it. The upper mid compression and feel and mid level spin is what sold it. If I wanted a high compression ball that I could spin the bejeezes out of I'd just buy Pro Vs. More than likely they just keep making the regular CS and then make something as close as they can to a Pro V and stamp it with CSx and there won't be anything soft about it or different than their previous tour balls other than the name.

Lol. Well I suppose you are what they call an anomaly and your game defies the laws of physics. It happens on here a good bit.

You can say what want but this ball does more for my short game then any other ball on the market I have tried and I have tried them all. I actually didn't put it in play for about 6 months after it came out because I read all the reviews similar to yours. Decided for $20 it was worth a shot. Ball wouldn't be in my bag for 3+years if it didn't work. Like I said I've tried to kick it out of my bag, numerous times. The closest I came was the b330rxs. But in the end the super soft just works for me. Physics or not.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

You can say what want but this ball does more for my short game then any other ball on the market I have tried and I have tried them all. I actually didn't put it in play for about 6 months after it came out because I read all the reviews similar to yours. Decided for $20 it was worth a shot. Ball wouldn't be in my bag for 3+years if it didn't work. Like I said I've tried to kick it out of my bag, numerous times. The closest I came was the b330rxs. But in the end the super soft just works for me. Physics or not.

If you say so. It's not like it is just my opinion on how it performs. It's a fact it's on the bottom of the spectrum as far as spin goes. Without spin it isn't gonna have any "check" around the greens. Without spin short irons are gonna fly forever. The faster you swing and the more solid the contact the worse it will be. You can lump all the super low compression balls together because it's pretty much gonna be the same for all of them. If you like the ball that's great for you but few people are gonna believe it performs the way you are saying. You mentioned using a Pro V which is as about as apples to oranges as you can get with golf balls and the Pro V will outperform the SuperSoft (spin wise) on every shot.