Mizuno MP-5 vs JPX 900 Tour

dreamingkid

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it with a grain of salt, tried a different shaft without testing.

I have played 5's with 130x for a year and love them. The 900's just looked too good not to try, grabbed a partial set with PX LZ 6.5. The 900's are stunning to look at in the bag and behind the ball, the 9-P look amazing, Mizuno did a great job making these more compact. They feel as a one piece Mizuno forging should feel, excellent, soft, but a little more of a "punch".

Unfortunately for me, either had a bad shaft pairing, or maybe they are just less forgiving then the 5's. I was almost a full club shorter with the 900's. I hit one shot that made my mouth hang open when I hit it (felt so good), then stayed that way when the ball landed 5 yds short of the green. I could not get my head around it, just did not add up.

I may possibly test again with a single and my shaft, but the 5's are just tough to beat any way you slice it.

As good as those tight little compact satin CB's look, tough to beat a polished Mizuno blade

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Thanks for your input. I currently use Mp-64 and it's getting beat up. I had it since it came out. I'm in a market for a new set and didn't want to downgrade and wanted something little easier.

I played and still have a partial set of 54/64's as a backup. I do not think the 5's are any more difficult to hit then the 64's.

I would definitely test outside if possible.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I've just come from a set of mp69 to tour 900's. I'm delighted with them.

I had been looking for a change for a little while but couldn't look past another set of mizuno's. Unfortunately, the 5's didn't do it for me as I can't stand the look of the 9 iron/wedge. With the 900 tour 9 iron/wedge Mizuno have really fixed their issue with being able to make a nice looking set wedge. It's perfect. Actually when you set it next to a T7 46* it's very similar.

Feel wise they are a true mizuno forging. Soft, but solid. Unmistakably Mizuno.

Hit them both and see what you think. Don't be put off by the JPX tag. These are as MP as it gets. A perfect replacement of the now discontinued 64's.

I hit both demos with the same shafts, X100 and Modus 105. I currently play MP54's w/120TX. In my opinion, the MP5's felt better and were more forgiving. I've played Mizuno MP's for over 10 years, since MP60, and don't get the negativity on the short irons. Are the 9 iron and PW in the 900Tour more compact? Yes. Do they look great? Yes. But the MP5's are by no means "shovels". I guess I'm just used to them after so long. I've tried other irons, but they never stick, always go back to Mizzy.

Finally picked up a set of MP5's in 5-PW and playing them down to the 5. Only expected to play them to the 7. Testing Modus 125 in them now, but will most likely go back to the 120TX.

I hit both demos with the same shafts, X100 and Modus 105. I currently play MP54's w/120TX. In my opinion, the MP5's felt better and were more forgiving. I've played Mizuno MP's for over 10 years, since MP60, and don't get the negativity on the short irons. Are the 9 iron and PW in the 900Tour more compact? Yes. Do they look great? Yes. But the MP5's are by no means "shovels". I guess I'm just used to them after so long. I've tried other irons, but they never stick, always go back to Mizzy.

Finally picked up a set of MP5's in 5-PW and playing them down to the 5. Only expected to play them to the 7. Testing Modus 125 in them now, but will most likely go back to the 120TX.

Mp-5 are great irons don't get me wrong. Just to my eye the wedge is a little bit top rounded in the top line.

Having briefly experimented with a set of J33B's I came to realise how much I didn't like the look of my own wedge in the 69's. J33 is one of the nicest looking set wedges I've seen. The Tour 900 is the closest Mizuno have come to anyth like that for me personally.

Not bad mouthing the 5's, just to my eye I didn't like the look of the shorter clubs. They did feel sweet though!

A 46 degree Blue T7 solves the MP-5 PW problem :)

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

I've just come from a set of mp69 to tour 900's. I'm delighted with them.

I had been looking for a change for a little while but couldn't look past another set of mizuno's. Unfortunately, the 5's didn't do it for me as I can't stand the look of the 9 iron/wedge. With the 900 tour 9 iron/wedge Mizuno have really fixed their issue with being able to make a nice looking set wedge. It's perfect. Actually when you set it next to a T7 46* it's very similar.

Feel wise they are a true mizuno forging. Soft, but solid. Unmistakably Mizuno.

Hit them both and see what you think. Don't be put off by the JPX tag. These are as MP as it gets. A perfect replacement of the now discontinued 64's.

I just switched from the 64's to the Tour 900's and had zero transition issues. I really liked the 64's, and really the only reason I switched was the 9 iron/PW issue quoted above and it they were a little beat up after 4 years in the bag. The PW in the JPX 900 Tour's is a real improvement. I could not stand the PW in the 64's...It looked terrible to my eye, too rounded, and just plain wierd. My distances are roughly the same, feel is spot on, forgiveness feels about the same to a slight improvement, and the I really like the finish on the tours as well. Never hit the MP5's.

Mp-5 are great irons don't get me wrong. Just to my eye the wedge is a little bit top rounded in the top line.

Having briefly experimented with a set of J33B's I came to realise how much I didn't like the look of my own wedge in the 69's. J33 is one of the nicest looking set wedges I've seen. The Tour 900 is the closest Mizuno have come to anyth like that for me personally.

Not bad mouthing the 5's, just to my eye I didn't like the look of the shorter clubs. They did feel sweet though!

I had a set of the MP5 and I could not look at the 9i and pw as well. Great irons but the 900 Tours look much better in the short irons. MP5s do feel slightly better though.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I think if you went straight from the 64s to the 900 Tours you'd love them. The bigger issue is anyone trying to move from the MP-5 to the 900 Tour. I have heavily demoed these clubs over the past month or so and ended up ordering a set of MP-5. Nothing beats the feel and feedback of this iron for me personally. My shot carry was the same with virtually every club when compared to the 900 Tour utilizing the same X-100 Tour issue shaft in each.

My main thought is this... I don't think you can go wrong with either one and it's mostly a "looks preference." I love the look of a good blade and I'm sure that played a factor in my decision, but the 900 Tours also have a good look to them as well. I'd say try both and see what you like.

• 1 month later...

The new 900's look like Hillary when she met Bill in college. You're OK baggin them for a while but as soon as the first sexy chick comes along... well, you get the idea. Play the 5's and let the non-believers play the 900's. The 5's, I hear, are similar to the 64's and after playing them for the last few years, I can tell you they are not hard to hit at all. Just hit it in the middle of the face!