2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How long do you wait for new irons to perform?

ucfdad

I ordered the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and have played 10 rounds with them. I replaced 714 AP1's and the other contender was the Ping G. According to the monitor at PGASS, the Hot Metal were a little longer than the G, not a big issue, and the dispersion between the 2 were very close. At the end of the day, all things being equal, I chose the Hot Metal because it is a beautiful looking iron.

Fast forwards to today, I have 10 rounds with them and am wondering if I made the right decision. I used to average 7 GIR, with these I average 4. Other posters have said they weren't hitting greens because the irons are longer, I am hitting mine at least a club shorter. Couple that with the jacked up lofts, and my 7 iron which is comparable to my old 6 iron in loft only goes as far as my old 8 iron.

I do have the 90 day playability option to return and get something else. So how long would you wait before you called it a day with new irons? Should I hold out longer hoping I just "need to get used to them"?

Oh, for the most important stat, my score has been very similar. However, that is because I have been chipping and putting well lately, but it makes it stressful counting on hitting chips and pitches close all the time.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Wilson Staff D200 19* and 22*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

If the Mizuno's lofts are stronger and you are hitting them shorter than the comparable numbered AP1s and assuming the flex, weight and lengths of the shafts are the same then the Mizuno's are just not right for you. Send them back and get properly fit for another set (yeah, yeah I know everyone says this).

If you don't want or don't have access to a proper fitter and just want to wing it again. Maybe this will help. I went from a 712 AP1 with KBS Tour Regular steel shafts to the Ping G in their Regular graphite shafts this year and love the change. I played the AP1's for 4-5 seasons and was losing distance as I aged. The change brought back the distance lost plus. It did take some time to get use to the lighter shafts, but well within 90 days. BTW, I was fit for both sets of clubs, outdoors with a Trackman.

10 rounds is enough time in my opinion. Sometimes irons just don't work for you for whatever reason.

Ping G irons are amazing. /bias

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

IF....(big if)....you were fit correctly, and the "new" irons were built to specs, and the monitors/TM, etc used to fit you were all set legitimately.....you should have have seen something almost immediately.

10 rounds, losing distance, missing more greens.....if you can send 'em back, I'd get them boxed & shipped ASAP!

Just my humble opinion, but no "new" set should make you lose distance and/or accuracy, especially if you were "fit" for them.

Good Luck!

IF....(big if)....you were fit correctly, and the "new" irons were built to specs, and the monitors/TM, etc used to fit you were all set legitimately.....you should have have seen something almost immediately.

10 rounds, losing distance, missing more greens.....if you can send 'em back, I'd get them boxed & shipped ASAP!

Just my humble opinion, but no "new" set should make you lose distance and/or accuracy, especially if you were "fit" for them.

Good Luck!

This is what I was thinking. I was "fit" at PGA Tour Superstore. Everything looked good, the fitter seemed to know his stuff, the numbers definitely showed I was a little longer with the Mizuno compared to the Ping with similar dispersion. I really was torn as I have owned pings in the past, but the Mizuno just looked so good.

For comparison, the AP1 7 iron is 32 degrees, the Mizuno is 31 degrees and now if I have 7 iron distance to the green, I am hitting 6 iron which is 27 degrees. Thankfully, my chipping has been reasonably good the last 10 rounds.

The Mizuno have Project X 5.5 steel shafts in R flex. I think the AP1 had Dynalite Gold in R flex but I could be wrong.

For those of you that recommend the Ping G switch, what shafts should I look at? My 7 iron used to be about 145 carry and roll.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

For those of you that recommend the Ping G switch, what shafts should I look at? My 7 iron used to be about 145 carry and roll.

I'm at about 140 carry with my 7 iron and got fit into KBS Tour 90 shafts. I love them.

They give me a nice high ball flight. I'm sure others can chime in depending on what kind of flight you're looking for, also check this thread out for more recs:

http://www.golfwrx.c...g-irons-thread/

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I'm at about 140 carry with my 7 iron and got fit into KBS Tour 90 shafts. I love them.

They give me a nice high ball flight. I'm sure others can chime in depending on what kind of flight you're looking for, also check this thread out for more recs:

http://www.golfwrx.c...g-irons-thread/

Was having a good discussion with my friend, who is the most respected fitter in our area. He agrees that the KBS Tour 90 will hit the ball higher, but be careful what you wish for.

If you can still flight it down with your set-up/swing, then go for it.

Everyone is different but 10 rounds is more than enough time for you to get used to a set of irons

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

The stock shaft for the Ping G is the AWT 2.0 which gets progressively heavier from the 4 through the gap. It's a nice shaft option from Nippon especially in the stiff flex. I believe the weight in the 7 iron through the gap wont be a huge difference from your 5.5.

In regards to how many rounds, I would think 10 rounds is plenty to determine that you don't like them. Better to return/sell now while they still hold value.

Best of luck to you.

It depends where you are coming from as a player, either you are a player that works on making your clubs work for you or you are one that demands instant performance. Back when people didn't have a lot of money to spend on golf clubs players worked to make the clubs they have work for them. Now many want instant gradification.

The big part of scoring in golf isn't the clubs, it's what you know and if you know how to score.

I ordered the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and have played 10 rounds with them. I replaced 714 AP1's and the other contender was the Ping G. According to the monitor at PGASS, the Hot Metal were a little longer than the G, not a big issue, and the dispersion between the 2 were very close. At the end of the day, all things being equal, I chose the Hot Metal because it is a beautiful looking iron.

Fast forwards to today, I have 10 rounds with them and am wondering if I made the right decision. I used to average 7 GIR, with these I average 4. Other posters have said they weren't hitting greens because the irons are longer, I am hitting mine at least a club shorter. Couple that with the jacked up lofts, and my 7 iron which is comparable to my old 6 iron in loft only goes as far as my old 8 iron.

I do have the 90 day playability option to return and get something else. So how long would you wait before you called it a day with new irons? Should I hold out longer hoping I just "need to get used to them"?

Oh, for the most important stat, my score has been very similar. However, that is because I have been chipping and putting well lately, but it makes it stressful counting on hitting chips and pitches close all the time.

Had a few sets of Mizuno SGI and GI irons, i never really got along with them.

Also had a used set of 714 ap1's with steelfiber ri80's, damn should have never sold that set, thought i needed i95 stiffs steelfibers.

Have not hit the new 716 ap1's but love the improvements on the sole and extra tungsten.

I have the G's and think they are fantastic, point and shoot. Seem to be hitting more greens.

I still think the Titliest stuff looks nicer and will get some 716 ap1's when i find a used set in my price range locally.

Best of luck with your decision.

I've had I think 4 rounds with the latest set I've been hitting, and I have already 'adjusted' to them, still really re/defining my distance gaps, but I can tell, in less than half the rounds you have played, that these will stay in the bag...

What I did was really laborious, however. A true practice round. If you can make it work schedule & course wise, find a slow time and go hit a 'bestball' type arrangement with the two sets of irons. Play the same shot twice, once with each appropriate club. I have two bags, including my travel bag, and when I changed these last sets of irons, I did this with THREE sets of irons, and shuffled the two bags.

Clearly to do this, you are likely to play alone or with a trusted friend/pro, and should allow yourself the time for slow play and evaluation, so heading out to your course on, like, an early Tuesday morning or afternoon, depending on local hackers' traffic, should allow yourself a direct, in-game, iron-to-iron comparison. Sealed the deal for me...

And finally, as mentioned a couple times above, when in doubt, first look to the shafts if you feel SOMETHING has to change, then the club/arrow, then the Indian.

hope it works out

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I don't really understand the idea here. Why should there ever be a waiting period? There should never be a time where you are fighting the club, from minute one that should just tell you it's a bad fit. Adjusting to the equipment is never the goal, the goal is to make the equipment adjustments to fit you. If you have to wait around for the club to work for you, then you're already going down the road of compensating for the equipment, which is completely backwards of the way it should to be.

So "adjustment" period? There really shouldn't be any.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

First thing, the PX 5.5's are stiff. Secondly, I went to them after coming from DG300's and found myself hitting it a bit shorter. Maybe theres something to that.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Personally, I find adjusting to irons tricky, which is one of the reasons that I rarely switch irons. It takes me a while to "trust" my distances, and until I do I tend to make a lot of tentative swings that produce miserable results. This is especially true when going to a set with different lofts.

The big thing to pay attention to is the performance on full swings when you aren't holding back. Those should all be solid. I would also try and find a range or space (such as an empty fairway) that you can hit the clubs without focusing on a target. If you see the distance loss in that situation, then it's pretty clear that it's a bad fit.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I would know by the end of my 1st round if the irons are for me, if you are not happy after 10 rounds then I'd say they not for you.

I bought a set of XR-Pro / C-Taper lite X without trying the shaft or head.

I bought these to potentially replace my 2011 Diablo Forged, that were the best irons I had hit to that day.

After 2 hours at the range I knew the DF days were numbered, about 20 rounds in now & im striking my irons better than ever!!

I say move on!!

I don't really understand the idea here. Why should there ever be a waiting period? There should never be a time where you are fighting the club, from minute one that should just tell you it's a bad fit. Adjusting to the equipment is never the goal, the goal is to make the equipment adjustments to fit you. If you have to wait around for the club to work for you, then you're already going down the road of compensating for the equipment, which is completely backwards of the way it should to be.

Absolutely dead on accurate. If a club fits, you should know right away. I can generally tell within 2 swings. I've found that by swing 3 or later, I'm already making compensations.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Project X steel 5.5 regular flex??

I believe the 5.5 are about the same as DG S300 on the Brunswick FCM scale (5.8) Dynamite gold in regular about 4.8

Probably need a softer / higher launching shaft to create more spin

Sounds like your loss of distance is due to not enough spin.

I would say that it is definitely a shaft issue. But apart from the launch and spin issues, the stiffness of the Project X 5.5 may be prohibiting you from putting the sweet spot of the iron on the ball consistently. And, the Project X is a heavier shaft than the Dynalite Gold that you had in your AP1's.

Shaft is extremely important. I am staying with my AP1 712 models, which I had made with the Titleist/Nippon 105T (regular). For me, that shaft feels better and gives me a little more kick than the Dynalite Gold R300. It is a great shaft, and I play it as the result of a fitting at Titleist's Manchester Lane facility. I have tried a lot of iron shafts, and the 105T continues to give me best results.

I am hitting my 7-iron around 145 on better days, maybe 150 if I swing really hard (I never do with my irons); but more importantly, with the 105 T I can also hit my 7-iron comfortably 140 or 135 if I chose to.

I have tried XP95, XP105, Steelfiber i95, Dynalite Gold R300, DG Pro R300, and Dynamic Gold Super Light. 105T is best for me all day long.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Absolutely dead on accurate. If a club fits, you should know right away. I can generally tell within 2 swings. I've found that by swing 3 or later, I'm already making compensations.

This is the truth. Spot on.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The newbie opinion of this is:

If they aren't working after 10 rounds, move on. They were supposedly fit and there are distance issues? Why lie to yourself? This is supposed to be fun! I was loaned a set of titleist 804 OS the other day and it was quite an experience. I was terrified of hitting regular flex with my swing speed, but I survived. They were different than my MP-4's, but I enjoyed playing them also. Now if my scores shoot way down on my next round...then I know I may need to consider a change.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to PGASS tomorrow and trade them in for a set of Ping G! Hopefully, the fitter can recommend a good shaft for me.

Has anyone traded in equipment at PGA using the 90 day playability guarantee? Do they do this willingly or are they going to give me a hard time?

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to PGASS tomorrow and trade them in for a set of Ping G! Hopefully, the fitter can recommend a good shaft for me.

Has anyone traded in equipment at PGA using the 90 day playability guarantee? Do they do this willingly or are they going to give me a hard time?

I did the 90 day playability guarantee for a set I bought to that exact store about 2 years ago. Didn't get any flack at all and after they checked to ensure the clubs weren't beat to crap, they cut me a gift card for the money. I didn't have any issues.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

FWIW ... I am an average player and was fit for the 1st time over the summer. I went with Ping Gs. It only took 20-30 shots on the range before I noticed definite improvements in distance and dispersion.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

The standard lofts that many of us had grown in the game with are somewhat of a distant memory, as a result iron distances are all over the place. I have been a big fan and promoter of the Ping i e1 irons a friend was in the market and I suggested he give them a look. We had a Ping demo day at our club and he ended up ordering a set. (Note to self stop making equipment recommendations to playing buddies.) Almost from the point of he unboxing them he has been in my ear about the performance struggles he has had with the irons. I have played two rounds with him and each time I tell him he is making solid contact and decent ball flight he needed to spend time and figure out how these irons play differently from his prior set. He tells me I am crazy and needed to pay attention when he is hitting the green he hadn't been any closer than a 30' putt all day.

As we were sitting down for a beverage and to review our cards in the clubhouse the pro comes by and asked him how the irons were working out, all I could do was put my hand over my eyes and drop my head. My buddy begins to read him the riot act and finally ends with the statement that no way could the fitting be correct. I was surprised how calm our pro remained through it all, he replied do you have 30 minutes to go out to the range? My friend couldn't get out of the seat quick enough and we were headed to the range.

We get to the range and the pro tells my friend warm up and then grab your favorite three irons. The guy says he is ready and grabs a 7 iron, the pro ask him to pick a target and what shape will he be hitting to flag. He hits his first ball and it starts out right at the target with a very slight draw, but flies maybe a half club long and slight left of the flag , next few shots follow a similar pattern. The guy shouts back to the pro see these are all over the place. The pro tells him to grab the second club and pick his target the guy does so and hits about a half dozen shots with similar results to the his first club and ask the pro if he has seen enough, the pro replies you still have one more club to hit. The guy grabs the third club so and hits six balls that looked like replays all on nearly the exact same line as the prior. The guy walks over to him and says see what I am saying, the pro says lets jump back in the cart and go up to the shop. We get up to the shop and go to the back room to his office he sits down and pulls a go pro camera out of his pocket that he had unknowingly to us mounted on the golf cart and a minute later we are watching my friends range session on a 50" monitor. The first club choice was a 7 iron he hit all six shots long and slightly left of the flag. The next club choice was a 4 iron and he missed all six shots short and just slightly right of the flag and the last club was 9 iron that followed the same pattern as the 7 iron but just marginally offline. I will say I learned allot from this what turned out to be 90 minute exercise. The pro asked the guy what do you see from the video. My friends reply I am missing it all over the place. The pro doesn't say anything, but I am thinking to myself I wish my misses were that much all over the place .. LOL The pro walks over to the video and plays a few shots with each club choice. He explains your seven iron was flying long, your shot shape was a slight draw you missed all six shots within 3 yards of one another your second choice was a 4 iron you hit all six shots short of the target and just slightly right He went on to explain the 7 iron was flying long and left because the draw had more flight time to continue its path if it was a half club shorter in distance it would have been right on target and he explained the 4 iron was flying short not giving the shot shape the air time to complete its path to the target therefore the miss seemed to be right and the 9 iron had similar results to the 7 but to a lesser degree.

The guy still was not satisfied, he said I clubbed down by choosing a longer target based on coming up long into the first and said he could never get consistent distances and the irons played a full club short to his prior set. The pro- went and grabbed a folder he came over and opened it up and showed the guy the specs on his prior set of irons length of each iron, loft of each iron and swing weight, he then showed him the specs on the Pings that he purchased from the club and explained why the choices were made. I know the Ping specs and I know he explained the Ping 7 iron was 32 deg. and his prior iron was 31 deg. and I believe the difference jumped to two degrees in the 4 irons both iron lengths were the same, but they had put a heavier shaft in the Ping compared to his prior club to tighten up dispersion, that when asked was the number one complaint he had about his prior set. I have to say I was totally impressed by our Club pro's presentation. The pro showed him that the 7 iron and 9 iron shots all were within spitting distance of one another the four iron shots were tougher to pick up on the video but over all it was a surprisingly clear. video. The pro explained that he didn't believe the problem was dispersion in fact the shot consistency was very good on all three irons both in distance and direction it was getting comfortable and familiar with the distances. The pro offered to do a couple playing lessons to work on club selection or if the guy was not satisfied the club would offer to take the irons back for full shop credit towards a different set. I don't think a lawyer could have presented a better case, the pro had shown the guy that the irons were in fact performing well it was a lack of familiarity that was casing the guys issues. A true case of the Indian not the Arrow. I went on vacation and have not had a chance to talk or play a round with my friend since but I am guessing he is seeing better results as a result of the thorough explanation provided by our Club pro. I know this is a way long response to a easy question, but I wanted to share the experience to demonstrate that distance and even direction are relative to what your comparing to and not all 7 irons are equal. The Pro said something that I agree strongly with spend time on the range with each club in your bag and first verify ball contact making sure solid center of face contact, ball flight/ direction if you don't have that there is no need to go any longer you don't have clubs that are properly fit, but once you have confirmed contact begin charting your distances and he said to do the same on the course for a few rounds. Once you have established consistent distances with each club in your bag you will play better golf. I

The standard lofts that many of us had grown in the game with are somewhat of a distant memory, as a result iron distances are all over the place. I have been a big fan and promoter of the Ping i e1 irons a friend was in the market and I suggested he give them a look. We had a Ping demo day at our club and he ended up ordering a set. (Note to self stop making equipment recommendations to playing buddies.) Almost from the point of he unboxing them he has been in my ear about the performance struggles he has had with the irons. I have played two rounds with him and each time I tell him he is making solid contact and decent ball flight he needed to spend time and figure out how these irons play differently from his prior set. He tells me I am crazy and needed to pay attention when he is hitting the green he hadn't been any closer than a 30' putt all day.

As we were sitting down for a beverage and to review our cards in the clubhouse the pro comes by and asked him how the irons were working out, all I could do was put my hand over my eyes and drop my head. My buddy begins to read him the riot act and finally ends with the statement that no way could the fitting be correct. I was surprised how calm our pro remained through it all, he replied do you have 30 minutes to go out to the range? My friend couldn't get out of the seat quick enough and we were headed to the range.

We get to the range and the pro tells my friend warm up and then grab your favorite three irons. The guy says he is ready and grabs a 7 iron, the pro ask him to pick a target and what shape will he be hitting to flag. He hits his first ball and it starts out right at the target with a very slight draw, but flies maybe a half club long and slight left of the flag , next few shots follow a similar pattern. The guy shouts back to the pro see these are all over the place. The pro tells him to grab the second club and pick his target the guy does so and hits about a half dozen shots with similar results to the his first club and ask the pro if he has seen enough, the pro replies you still have one more club to hit. The guy grabs the third club so and hits six balls that looked like replays all on nearly the exact same line as the prior. The guy walks over to him and says see what I am saying, the pro says lets jump back in the cart and go up to the shop. We get up to the shop and go to the back room to his office he sits down and pulls a go pro camera out of his pocket that he had unknowingly to us mounted on the golf cart and a minute later we are watching my friends range session on a 50" monitor. The first club choice was a 7 iron he hit all six shots long and slightly left of the flag. The next club choice was a 4 iron and he missed all six shots short and just slightly right of the flag and the last club was 9 iron that followed the same pattern as the 7 iron but just marginally offline. I will say I learned allot from this what turned out to be 90 minute exercise. The pro asked the guy what do you see from the video. My friends reply I am missing it all over the place. The pro doesn't say anything, but I am thinking to myself I wish my misses were that much all over the place .. LOL The pro walks over to the video and plays a few shots with each club choice. He explains your seven iron was flying long, your shot shape was a slight draw you missed all six shots within 3 yards of one another your second choice was a 4 iron you hit all six shots short of the target and just slightly right He went on to explain the 7 iron was flying long and left because the draw had more flight time to continue its path if it was a half club shorter in distance it would have been right on target and he explained the 4 iron was flying short not giving the shot shape the air time to complete its path to the target therefore the miss seemed to be right and the 9 iron had similar results to the 7 but to a lesser degree.

The guy still was not satisfied, he said I clubbed down by choosing a longer target based on coming up long into the first and said he could never get consistent distances and the irons played a full club short to his prior set. The pro- went and grabbed a folder he came over and opened it up and showed the guy the specs on his prior set of irons length of each iron, loft of each iron and swing weight, he then showed him the specs on the Pings that he purchased from the club and explained why the choices were made. I know the Ping specs and I know he explained the Ping 7 iron was 32 deg. and his prior iron was 31 deg. and I believe the difference jumped to two degrees in the 4 irons both iron lengths were the same, but they had put a heavier shaft in the Ping compared to his prior club to tighten up dispersion, that when asked was the number one complaint he had about his prior set. I have to say I was totally impressed by our Club pro's presentation. The pro showed him that the 7 iron and 9 iron shots all were within spitting distance of one another the four iron shots were tougher to pick up on the video but over all it was a surprisingly clear. video. The pro explained that he didn't believe the problem was dispersion in fact the shot consistency was very good on all three irons both in distance and direction it was getting comfortable and familiar with the distances. The pro offered to do a couple playing lessons to work on club selection or if the guy was not satisfied the club would offer to take the irons back for full shop credit towards a different set. I don't think a lawyer could have presented a better case, the pro had shown the guy that the irons were in fact performing well it was a lack of familiarity that was casing the guys issues. A true case of the Indian not the Arrow. I went on vacation and have not had a chance to talk or play a round with my friend since but I am guessing he is seeing better results as a result of the thorough explanation provided by our Club pro. I know this is a way long response to a easy question, but I wanted to share the experience to demonstrate that distance and even direction are relative to what your comparing to and not all 7 irons are equal. The Pro said something that I agree strongly with spend time on the range with each club in your bag and first verify ball contact making sure solid center of face contact, ball flight/ direction if you don't have that there is no need to go any longer you don't have clubs that are properly fit, but once you have confirmed contact begin charting your distances and he said to do the same on the course for a few rounds. Once you have established consistent distances with each club in your bag you will play better golf. I

Thanks for the great read. This is what I love about WRX, for every guy who throws out a snarky 3 word reply, you also get a thoughtful, well written reply by the likes of Mtngolfer1. Kudos!

I would be the first one to admit that my swing is the furthest thing from textbook or repeatable. If I were long with the 7 like your friend, I could adjust. His shots with the 9 would be manageable also because they appear to be "good enough" and face it, I am not a pro. As for the 4 iron shots, truth be told my swing isn't good enough or consistent enough to count on a 4 iron as a scoring club. If I hit a 4 iron and I am in the vicinity of the green or heaven forbid on the green somewhere, I consider it a good shot.

My worry is that if I have to hit 6 iron where a month ago I hit 7, I am going to run out of scoring chances. A 6 iron a month ago is now a 5 iron which lessens that chance to score. A 5 iron a month ago is now a 4 iron which is a not a scoring club. I wanted tighter dispersion, but I can't afford to give up that much distance. Basically if I am not inside 140 off the tee on a par 4 or on a third shot on a par 5, I am counting on a chip to get a 1 putt par instead of a birdie chance. Don't get me wrong, I play with a lot of guys who win quite a few matches like that, but a month ago I had at least a chance at 7 birdies, now I don't.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

I think 10 rounds is more than enough. To be honest, I haven't really gotten along with any of the mizunos that I've tried. I think they'er beautiful clubs, and I'd love to game a set sometime, but I've demoed them indoors, and out doors, and my results have just never been good. I'm at the point now where I can pick up most clubs and after 5-10 shots, it's going to be pretty evident weather or not it's right for me, and mizzies have just never fit into the right spot for me.. No idea why.

Again, 10 rounds is more than enough. After 10 shots (or somewhere in that realm) you'll just start adjusting for the differences with the club, and learn to hit anything reasonably well.. but 10 rounds and decreased improvement, get rid of em.