"ANOTHER putter?"

Medicaptain ·  
MedicaptainMedicaptain Never ForgetMembers  1170WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,170
says the wife
First off, this may get long winded and I am kind of a weird putter....I putt looking at the hole...have been for five years, except for the last four months. I havent played competitive golf in the last three years and wanted to putt "normally" when I started back playing competitively again.

I putted with a center shafted Baby Ben...and I was a good putter....hardly ever three putted, ever. But I longed to be "normal" as I say and wanted to start gaming some high quality putters. I bought three Studio Stainless putters (in one day) and decided I was on a mission to go back to normal. I started out well, as we all do when we do something new and fresh but it was a slow spiral down to where I was starting to hate putting...and I mean HATE.

here is my cycle of putters.

3 Cameron Studio Stainless

Ping Anser 2 (cheap but I was rolling it well)

Betti C-03H

then had a C&L built for me CL1 model

all around 34 inches

Needless to say, I went back to looking at the hole and had 29 putts on the BEST greens in the Phoenix valley, IMO. (Legend Trail) and I didnt feel like I putted that great...I dont think a plumbers neck putter fits me....it feels like I heel everything but with non offset straight shafted putters I feel more "connected" to the putter head.

Today, I had an hour to kill and stopped by a local shop I like (Camelback and 32nd Street Vans Golf)

I was milling around and grabbed a YES! Hanna center shaft. Why I grabbed it, I have NO idea. I didnt even know what length it was except that it just felt "right". They have a small little turf spot to roll putts about 15 feet. Draino, Draino, Draino, Draino......wow. Now seriously, I am not usually THAT good of a putter...I will pull it, heel it, toe it, sweet spot it, sweet spot it, pull etc....kinda inconsistent but this thing was money....I could even feel myself toe it..still went in...heeled it....still went in.....

Needless to say...the amex card took an 80 dollar hit and I was racing to get to a practice green.....this monstrosity is ugly with a side of fugly and is 3 SIX inches long but luckily I am over 6 feet and since I dont look at the ball and look at the hole, the putters looks just dont matter (or so I tell myself).

Once on a real green....it rolled about 95% as good as it did in the shop...which really isnt that bad. Distance control was darn near perfect (12-18 inches past) and when I just simply relaxed everything dropped center cup....

On one hand, I am stoked that I can go back to being comfortable again....I stroke it so much better in my FIXED position of looking at the hole. My mind and eyes just cant take looking down at the ball. I feel like I can clearly see the line but as soon as I look down, look up at the hole and back down the space between the ball and hole is just gone/fuzzy...If I look at the hole, I know exactly what needs to be done....more of a hand eye coordination thing.

But, being stoked about how good this rolls, I am also met with some personal disappointment....now I have to lug this fugly beast around with me that just SCREAMS "I suck at putting!"...gone are the days of walking around like a wanna be tour playa and a personally customized beautiful C&L......maybe I should get a CL2 version from C&L...hmmmmmmmmmm
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on
Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

Comments

• EzgolferEzgolfer Members  3176WRX Points: 146Posts: 3,176 Titanium Tees
    Talk to me in 4 weeks after few rounds . Been there done that....

No more impulse purchases in 09 .

Good luck though with your putting .
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MedicaptainMedicaptain Never Forget Members  1170WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,170
    Oh I know it.....I am actually thinking three days with the soup ladle
    Posted:
    Epic Project X LZ 6.0
    2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
    MD3 50, 54, 58
    PXG Dagger
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    It sounds like you know what you want, and can easily find it in various forms. I believe that you don't feel you can putt well due to the fact that you look at the hole...who says that it's not ok to do that????? Everyone worth a salt that I've talked too about putting, including the local pro here at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail courses in town tell me that there is NO NORMAL in putting.

I'm gonna put it simple here...and I'm not trying to sound rude...you are addicted to putters! WELCOME TO THE CLUB MAN! image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Seriously in my honest opinion you are overcomplicating the act of putting. Do what you feel is right when you putt....no matter if you are standing on your head backwards, cause if you can get it in the hole....it's called good putting. image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Peace.

PS: You got 3 Scotties in 1 purchase? Can I be your son? hahaha

seriously.

image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' />
    Posted:
  • cubfanbobcubfanbob Members  482WRX Points: 0Posts: 482
    "ANOTHER putter?"

As long as you avoid saying "ANOTHER pair of shoes?" she's got nothing to complain about...
    Posted:
    GHIN Index: 16.4
    Ping G30 10.5 R
    Ping G30 3/14.5 R
    Cobra F6 Baffler 19
    Mashie+ m4
    Adams CB3 Black 5-GW TT XP-95 R flex
    Mizuno MP-T5 52.9, 56.10 wedges
    Ray Cook Billy Baroo B300 34"
    Kirkland Signature 3-piece
  • jaycajunjaycajun Members  347WRX Points: 0Posts: 347
    Posted:
  • drewspindrewspin Charter Members  2996WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,996 Titanium Tees
    You are not that weird. Looking at the hole transforms putting into a "target" sport, where the focus is rightfully on the target. More people who struggle with putting should try this approach, IMHO.

That putter, on the other hand, is freakish.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MedicaptainMedicaptain Never Forget Members  1170WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,170
    cubfanbob wrote on Jan 23 2009, 09:09 AM:
    "ANOTHER putter?"

As long as you avoid saying "ANOTHER pair of shoes?" she's got nothing to complain about...

Shoes?....well I might have her beat in THAT department too...I went on an Ebay golf shoe kick for about two weeks...filled my garage "Golf" cabinet.....#$%^!

jaycajun wrote on Jan 23 2009, 10:52 AM:

Holy Freakin Shamoly!....that beast is B-fugly...as in BUTTfugly!....my Hanna is a promqueen compared to that contraption.

I played two rounds with it yesterday...knocked a few putts in that I normally dont and made all but one knee knocker....for some reason I WAY overread the break on shortys.

I even pulled my new custom out for a few holes we ran around to "get redemption" on and I immediately remembered why I suck at putting with Plumbers necked putters.....for now...its my gamer....(kinda like a moped...fun as heck to ride...ya just dont want anyone to watch ya doin it (this phrase is also used just before "last call" when your single and looking)
    Posted:
    Epic Project X LZ 6.0
    2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
    MD3 50, 54, 58
    PXG Dagger

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.