The cult of Cameron...

staunty

They are that much better. When talking about price(ebay) they can be had cheaper than most competitors which I consider Bettinardi, Whitlam, and TP mills. Im with you on the status symbol thing though. I once thought that and refused to use one, staying faithful to my old Ping B60. I still wont use a red grip. But, after trying one there just weighted so perfectly and the feedback you get from a good stroke or bad stroke made me slow down my tempo a little which FOR ME equaled a great year in putting.

A little arrogant in the statement "they are that much better" I'd say. Really, many are making fine putters these days including some of those stated such as Bettinardi, T.P., Whitlam, C&L, etc. Don't buy from Ebay unless you're going after a collectable or you've gone and determined what style, shape, manufacture, material, etc. works best for you. AND it seems you will pay highest for a Cameron no matter where you buy it because of status and it's what many tour players are seen with.

Also remember these are also the most snaked if you play muni's and leave your bag unattended!

Welcome back to the game!

Arrogant? He said are they THAT much better and I said yeah they are THAT much better because like I also said TO ME they are. Ive tried them all. Definately figure out what model you want, then buy from ebay. And no, whitlams, bettys, and mills will be higher or right around the cameron price.

Most snaked? where are you getting your info on that?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cult has spoken.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I actually got it from ebay...and it's a Tad Moore putter. :) 1 of 1000 he made for a customer who backed out of that sale(got that from Tad in an email).

Made in SS(the one in the pic) and also in MagBronze.

But I must digress...just wanted to lighten the mood a bit and it's so not close to a Scotty putter. ROTFL

I do like it however....a conversation piece nonetheless. ;)

....despite the looks it's pretty solid.

John

MOSt of the SC putters are awesome and pure quality. Spend some time here and on puttertalk and you'll soon realize that there are other, possibly better, options out there...

C&L

Byron

Bettinardi

Whitlam,

'

<

"

among others as well......do some research and you'll be surprised what is out there!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I wouldn't refer to Scotty Cameron putters or their owners as a cult. They make a nice product and are comparably priced to other similar high-end putters. Some people favor them just like they favor a certain golf ball. Are pro V-1 users a cult?

Will a Cameron putter save you five strokes a round?...Only if it suits you a lot better than your current putter.

If you have a great stroke does the putter even matter?...Yes an no. Good mechanics help you roll the ball toward the intended target, but feel (weight, length, ball speed off the face, etc.) equals distance control. So a great putter can't just use any putter because distance control varies with model. But it is safe to say that if you have good mechanics you will putt well with any putter similar to the one you are used to. Not that this has anything specifically to do with Scotty Cameron putters, but I digress.

The best putters of the ball tend to stick with a certain putter for longer than any other club in their bag. On the flip side, the guys who I know that really struggle on the greens are the ones who swap putters every third round.

It just so happens that the putter which works best for me is a Cameron. Its not because its a status symbol or because I have fallen under the influence of "the cult of Cameron".

No need to take offense or justify. I think it was clear that I wasn't referring to Cameron owners as members of a crazy Branch Davidian-type cult. Its a broad term. Same as some would say that Mac users are rather cult-ish in comparison to PC users.

No offense taken. Nor do I see how I'm justifying. On the contrary, I see you now qualifying your use of the term cult.

There will always be detractors from any high end product like a Cameron putter. In golf, no justification is required when it comes to what equipment you use because the bottom line is you use what works. If its a Cameron putter, great. If its another brand, just as good.

However, I wouldn't agree that a good putter of the ball can pick up any putter and be just as good as with the putter they're used to. There's just more to putting then that. but no need to rehash.

It can get better...

Banistr I loved that picture the first time I saw it.

Scotty Cameron and the koolaid gang.

Reminds me how successful Scotty has been starting a whole new segment of the putter market place.

High quality milled putters.

Now there are lots of koolaid companies both old and new following in Scotty's footsteps.

But that is good because they fill a need for the high end putter junkie that needs to tell his putter maker how to make their putter.

Most of the guys that claim to be Cameron collectors could not tell if a putter was an authentic Cameron unless it had Cameron engraved on it AND the putter came with a COA.

I am going to have to call BS on that one. I have had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a fake Cameron Studio Style putter on ebay and I can tell you that once I received it my wife could even tell that it was a fake and she doesn't even golf.

I hadn't touched a club for about 13 years until I started playing again last year. Obviously a lot has changed. Balata balls and the Cleveland VAS irons were new-ish when I had last played. So what is the deal with the Scotty Cameron putters? No, I have not tried one but it seems to me many people use one more from a status standpoint - to be able to say they have a Cameron.

Has anyone switched from a different manufacturer and noticed a difference in their putting? Has anyone dropped their putting average significantly? I am not knocking anyone who uses them but I want to know if they are THAT much better? I did see that he went to my High School though...thats pretty cool.

The VAS Irons were in the mid-90's. Cameron was already around then.

Where do you get your conclusion that people use Cameron's from a status standpoint? If you are talking about status standpoints, check out the "bling-bling" putters made by obscure but claiming-to-be-ultra-high-end Japan manufacturers.

Cameron's prices are just par for the course on a milled name-brand putter - which is $250 to $300 - the same price range you'll see for the Ping Redwood, Odyssey Black Series, Mizuno Bettinardi, and Taylormade Kia Ma. So people get into Cameron as a matter of preference, or because their favorite pro uses the same brand and they want to emulate. It is not for a status standpoint at all.

Even a look at the independent putter makers in this forum will show that you can't get a milled putter for less than $200.

When you were gone, what really happened was the "arrival of the milled putters to the masses" and these putters are not to be confused with the popular cast putters of your era like the Ping Anser, Slotline Inertial, Tommy Armour ZAAP, or Acushnet Bullseye. Today's versions of these putters are the Odyssey White Hot XG, Taylormade Rossa AGSI, Ping Kartsten Series, and those other more affordable ones. Those are priced not to compete with Cameron.

I don't think people would really change their putting stats by changing manufacturer. More important is to find the proper shape to fit the player's eye and stroke while being built to spec.

So Camerons are expensive because they are milled, and there are many milled putters in the market. You are paying for the manufacturing process which is much more costly than just casting. There is really no status symbol to it. I have yet to see a player buy a Cameron just so that his foursome will think he is rich, nor have I seen a player salivate over a member of his foursome having a Cameron. Of course I mean off-the-rack because the tour putters are in a totally different universe, and they still are no status symbol because the average golfer won't even recognize it to appreciate it.

Most of the guys that claim to be Cameron collectors could not tell if a putter was an authentic Cameron unless it had Cameron engraved on it AND the putter came with a COA.

I am going to have to call BS on that one. I have had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a fake Cameron Studio Style putter on ebay and I can tell you that once I received it my wife could even tell that it was a fake and she doesn't even golf.

I guess the TCC section that members use to ask if eBay items are fake, you know the section with around 17,000 posts in over 2,000 threads, is no indication that most of the 7,700+ members can tell an authentic Cameron from a fake Cameron unless it has a COA attached to it.

You have to remember that since there are so many SC fakes floating around many people are "gun-shy" when it comes to buying them off ebay, and understandably so. Many of those posts in that section are also individuals simply bringing attention to the fake auctions that are out there.

I don't think that your assessment is a fair observation, and I would venture a guess that most of the active members on TCC would be able to tell the difference between a real and fake Cameron.

I guess the TCC section that members use to ask if eBay items are fake, you know the section with around 17,000 posts in over 2,000 threads, is no indication that most of the 7,700+ members can tell an authentic Cameron from a fake Cameron unless it has a COA attached to it.

I'm with blkdiamond on this one. Forget TCC (where they're Cameron fanatics), even on GolfWRX most of the members can tell a fake from the real after a relatively quick inspection.

I'm with blkdiamond on this one. Forget TCC (where they're Cameron fanatics), even on GolfWRX most of the members can tell a fake from the real after a relatively quick inspection.

I think the use of the word "fanatics" is also unnecessary here. There are many members of the other site mentioned above here. Lets not turn this into another locked topic.

I hadn't touched a club for about 13 years until I started playing again last year. Obviously a lot has changed. Balata balls and the Cleveland VAS irons were new-ish when I had last played. So what is the deal with the Scotty Cameron putters? No, I have not tried one but it seems to me many people use one more from a status standpoint - to be able to say they have a Cameron.

Has anyone switched from a different manufacturer and noticed a difference in their putting? Has anyone dropped their putting average significantly? I am not knocking anyone who uses them but I want to know if they are THAT much better? I did see that he went to my High School though...thats pretty cool.

The VAS Irons were in the mid-90's. Cameron was already around then.

Where do you get your conclusion that people use Cameron's from a status standpoint? If you are talking about status standpoints, check out the "bling-bling" putters made by obscure but claiming-to-be-ultra-high-end Japan manufacturers.

Cameron's prices are just par for the course on a milled name-brand putter - which is $250 to $300 - the same price range you'll see for the Ping Redwood, Odyssey Black Series, Mizuno Bettinardi, and Taylormade Kia Ma. So people get into Cameron as a matter of preference, or because their favorite pro uses the same brand and they want to emulate. It is not for a status standpoint at all.

Even a look at the independent putter makers in this forum will show that you can't get a milled putter for less than $200.

When you were gone, what really happened was the "arrival of the milled putters to the masses" and these putters are not to be confused with the popular cast putters of your era like the Ping Anser, Slotline Inertial, Tommy Armour ZAAP, or Acushnet Bullseye. Today's versions of these putters are the Odyssey White Hot XG, Taylormade Rossa AGSI, Ping Kartsten Series, and those other more affordable ones. Those are priced not to compete with Cameron.

I don't think people would really change their putting stats by changing manufacturer. More important is to find the proper shape to fit the player's eye and stroke while being built to spec.

So Camerons are expensive because they are milled, and there are many milled putters in the market. You are paying for the manufacturing process which is much more costly than just casting. There is really no status symbol to it. I have yet to see a player buy a Cameron just so that his foursome will think he is rich, nor have I seen a player salivate over a member of his foursome having a Cameron. Of course I mean off-the-rack because the tour putters are in a totally different universe, and they still are no status symbol because the average golfer won't even recognize it to appreciate it.

I already stated I am not hating on anyone who owns one and admitted I am susceptible to something that pleases my eye or being interested in something that has a lot of hype when it comes to gear. Yes, Cameron's were around in the mid-90's when I had stopped playing. But they didn't have that...buzz...that..."I have a Scotty" factor. I played on my high school team and was around private clubs a lot and had never heard of Cameron until I got back into the game last year.

Should I have replaced status standpoint with fashion standpoint? There seems to be a considerable amount of chatter about the head covers alone...just sayin'.

And in my original post I never mentioned the cost. I realize they are relatively on-par with other manufacturers and wasn't trying to make it a question of high-end, $300+ putter versus $100 putter. My main question was whether anybody noticed a considerable difference in their avg. putts/round using a Cameron.

I have owned 14 Cameron putters since Cameron signed with Acushnet (1995-present). I currently own just one (a TeI3 Newport w/copper plating). Cameron makes a good putter compared to the industry. I used to be part of the "cult" and thought Cameron was the end-all of putters. However, I have found that there are other manufacturers that make a tremendous putter (Byron Morgan and David Mills, to name two). Cameron is huge with Acushnet's backing (never mind actual units sold). Due to what I have come to understand, I would rather support Byron Morgan and David Mills because I really appreciate the fact that I can talk to each of these men about putters. Also Byron Morgan and David Mills have representatives (both members here) that are great to work with. I can talk to Steve and Jay about what I am looking for and they will work with me to get me the putter I want. Another thing about Byron Morgan and David Mills I really like is that they work on their putters. I know there are others in the same position as well. I like the fact that the personal attention is made by the designer themselves. This speaks volumes to me. For those who love Cameron putters, they are very nice putters and good for those people. For those who have found another avenue for putters, welcome to the world of putters.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

For whatever reason people will develop a brand loyalty. It isnt just putters that do it, but Cameron is a very good marketing machine. Does anyone know the stats of % of tour players gaming which putters? I would guess SC would have the largest but really that doesnt and shouldnt matter.

Go find the putter that fits your eye and your swing. Best advice would be to go to a place like hotstixs or something else. Although they may fit you for something that doesnt agree with your eye.

Cameron is like the BCS of football, is there anything that seems to garner more opinnion or conversation?

Go Utes, true National Champions!! 13-0

One thing you have to consider when discussing the "Cult of Cameron" is collectors.

While the putters are no doubt fine products, the market has a TON of fine putters which will suit different players stroke, aesthetic preference, or price range.

Where Scotty Cameron does his best work - by far - is the marketing of his product. The "Cult of Cameron" is not about his putters necessarily, but about $30 hats, $40 ball markers, $75 headcovers, and $600 limited edition putters. Cameron products are beanie babies - people by them in may cases based on speculation about their value and with the intent to someday sell them likes stocks. Others collect them like comic books and have a room full of stuff they will never use, just display.

PING i25 9.5º Driver
PING G25 15º 3 Wood
PING G25 20º & 23º Hyrbids
PING G25 5-UW
Cleveland 588 RTG 56º and 60º
Odyssey ProType ix #1

I used to putt with an Odyssey White Hot No. 6. I liked it, until I tried the Scotty Cameron I am using now (Circa 62 No. 3). I don't have statistics to prove it's better than my previous Odyssey. But, I can tell you the golf ball feels better coming off the clubface off my Circa 62. I also seem to lag long putts closer to the hole than I did with my White Hot.

It can get better...

Banistr I loved that picture the first time I saw it.

Scotty Cameron and the koolaid gang.

Reminds me how successful Scotty has been starting a whole new segment of the putter market place.

High quality milled putters.

Now there are lots of koolaid companies both old and new following in Scotty's footsteps.

But that is good because they fill a need for the high end putter junkie that needs to tell his putter maker how to make their putter.

Thankfully so. Why would I want to spend my hard earned dollars for something that I do not want?

I'd prefer no site alignment on my putter. Boutique guy: No Problem. Don T: NO F**KING WAY!!!

Can I get *** finish on my putter? Boutique guy: Absolutely. Don T: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Can you make my putter with ** loft, ** lie, ** length, and ** grip? Boutique guy: Sure, it's your putter. Don T: It will get a "C" COA.

I don't care what you give me as long as there is a dog taking a dump on the sole. Don T: Make your check out to *******. ;)

I could have sworn "High quality milled putters" were started by TP Mills. He actually WAS established in 1962 afterall. It's not just a marketing slogan for them. :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Ha... its pretty funny when the guys that cant shoot under 100 on a 6500 yard course go any buy a cameron and think it will help them improve ten strokes.(no offense for anyone that shoots 100+)In reality the putter will do nothing until the person can perfect their stroke. I have tried ping and camerons and i must say that the best putter(for me)is by far the spalding i got for 5 dollars from my friends basement.(its probably been sitting there for twenty years)Im not joking it just seems even though the thing is a peice of s*** i can drain puts. I dont give a s*** what anyone says about it (because its always the premium joke) i still putt the best in my group.Dont be sucked in by the cameron cult.by the way i think it is sort of a cult.

just my input.

Ha... its pretty funny when the guys that cant shoot under 100 on a 6500 yard course go any buy a cameron and think it will help them improve ten strokes.(no offense for anyone that shoots 100+)In reality the putter will do nothing until the person can perfect their stroke. I have tried ping and camerons and i must say that the best putter(for me)is by far the spalding i got for 5 dollars from my friends basement.(its probably been sitting there for twenty years)Im not joking it just seems even though the thing is a peice of s*** i can drain puts. I dont give a s*** what anyone says about it (because its always the premium joke) i still putt the best in my group.Dont be sucked in by the cameron cult.by the way i think it is sort of a cult.

just my input.

You make a good point, but what about those of us you just like high-end milled putters? I can assure you we are under no illusion that a $500 putter will help us make more birdies.

Thankfully so. Why would I want to spend my hard earned dollars for something that I do not want?

I'd prefer no site alignment on my putter. Boutique guy: No Problem. Don T: NO F**KING WAY!!!

Can I get *** finish on my putter? Boutique guy: Absolutely. Don T: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Can you make my putter with ** loft, ** lie, ** length, and ** grip? Boutique guy: Sure, it's your putter. Don T: It will get a "C" COA.

I don't care what you give me as long as there is a dog taking a dump on the sole. Don T: Make your check out to *******. ;)

I could have sworn "High quality milled putters" were started by TP Mills. He actually WAS established in 1962 afterall. It's not just a marketing slogan for them. :rolleyes:

just my input.

Now you're not playing nice.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

My main question was whether anybody noticed a considerable difference in their avg. putts/round using a Cameron.

I did not notice a considerable difference myself, but I am not one who sorts out my putts/round average based on putters use. I just average mine out through all the games. I'm not sure if the PGA Tour or Shotlink can compartmentalize stats based on different putters used.

Maybe others here can help answer this question since it is the main question and we cannot veer too far off topic. It would also help if others who contribute to this topic mention what putters they used before or after their Cameron usage.