Removing this weird paint...

nobreak1970 ·  
nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
help please.
Cook calls this "black pearl"...it's a very textured finish. Will a long soak in fingernail polish remover help me get rid of it so I can refinish it with something a little smoother?
Posted:

Comments

• wildwilly911wildwilly911 Members  2750WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,750
    try it but if it is what i think it is it wont work. sand blast it if it dont work
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HoosierGolferHoosierGolfer Members  1718WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,718
    Bead or media blasting would be the best way to remove the coating.
    Posted:
  • jcamn1jcamn1 ClubWRX  704WRX Points: 100Handicap: 1Posts: 704 ClubWRX
    Try Toilet bowl cleaner...I use the works TB cleaner
    Posted:
  • rrkmanrrkman Members  1182WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,182
    I had an old junior putter that I refinished for my son. It had some sort of coating (probably toxic and I inhaled most of it) that I couldn't 'wash' off (tried numerous removers but nothing too strong). I ended up using dremel and a po;lishing bit ( rubber bullet that has fine grit in it) and it worked perfectly.....didn't grind away the putter and didn't have any problem taking off the coating.

Warning - start off slow....even a q-tip at dremel speed can end up gouging something image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> .
    Posted:
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    Welp, 1 hour soak in acetone....yep a little overboard, but the version I posted above definately needs to be bead blasted! **** it didn't even affect the paintfill!!!! wtf? LOL

But to the OP, you have a very different finish...try it and let us know. It's a brass head so it'll look SHARP raw.

Ah well.

Peace.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • pitbull808pitbull808 Putter Hoarder Marshals  9368WRX Points: 149Posts: 9,368 Marshals
    jcamn1 wrote on Jan 23 2009, 08:17 AM:
    Try Toilet bowl cleaner...I use the works TB cleaner

Sorry..but I think a CAUTION must be added to a post recommendation like this.

Using the Works, it can either do what you want it to do or really screw up a finish. I believe LaMont posted a screwed up putter done with the Works and in the years of being on these forums, that's not the only one I've seen get screwed up.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.