blunt advice needed.

playa

I need some equipment advice. I currently game a very old driver, which I am happy with, but want to know if I am short changing myself by not using modern equipment. I have a ft3 tour 9.5 with a speeder 757 tour in X. I find this combo to be long and steaight when hit well, but a touch unforgiving. I am prepared to sacrifice forgiveness for better accuracy, but am I missing out on a total package by going old school?

Don't hold back with any consteuctive advice, tell it how it is.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many forgiving drivers out there. The new callaway and the ping g series are very forgiving. Worse you can do is try.

Best of luck!

Thanks, but are they also long and accurate? I rate accuracy higher than forgiveness (my home course is very tight and penal so tight dispersion is crucial), but would obviously like both in the same driver.

There are many forgiving drivers out there. The new callaway and the ping g series are very forgiving. Worse you can do is try.

Best of luck!

Thanks, but are they also long and accurate? I rate accuracy higher than forgiveness, but would obviously like both in the same driver.

The ping is very long, longer than most out there. Try the m2 very long and accurate. The callaway fusion driver is the most forgiving driver out there, while it might not be the longest it is accurate and forgiving.

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

I would say there are gains to be made. If you are a high spin player you could look at something like the Cobra LTD. It would likely be more forgiving than your current driver and quite a bit lower spin. You will get more distance on off center hits as well as face tech has improved. Max forgiveness I would go with maybe the Ping G, M2, or Cobra F6.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I would say there are gains to be made. If you are a high spin player you could look at something like the Cobra LTD. It would likely be more forgiving than your current driver and quite a bit lower spin. You will get more distance on off center hits as well as face tech has improved. Max forgiveness I would go with maybe the Ping G, M2, or Cobra F6.

Thanks. From reading reviews and threads here the Cobra LTD is actually the current driver I'm most interested in. I really like heavy low torque shafts, which seem to not be the norm these days. I don't have bags of money so not interested in paying for an upgrade, I want an oldschool boardy stock shaft. What comes stock in the Cobra.

It's a good time to go to your preferred retailer and demo the current crop of drivers. Bring your old and trusty FT3, then compare it against the newer drivers.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

Try the XR16. It just works so far for me. My old G25 worked as well. The Callaway is longer and for the first time ever I was properly fitted for the shaft. Not the stock XR16 shaft.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Cobra LTD is a beast, just traded in an m2 for one. Low spin knuckle balls every time you catch it anywhere near the middle ... plus the feel/sound is awesome. I've never experienced a driver being so forgiving, but producing middled sldr like numbers. If you get one I can guarantee you wont be disappointed.

Its winter time here now in the UK, but once the ground firms up again I can't wait to see the roll from the drives this thing produces, has the numbers & flight of a ball that'll get a crazy amount of rollout ... this is a new experience for me ... I'm used to seeing my ball sitting within a few yards of where it pitched.

FYI ... my ss average is 105, aoa average around zero ... using a standard LTD with stock stiff Rogue set at 10.5.

One the most accurate combo's Ive ever hit was a 910D3 with Aldila RIP alpha 60X, not the longest but damn accurate. have a look at that with a heavier shaft. After that I was looking for a combo with the same accuracy and more distance and I came across a RBZ Tour with a fubuki k (I think) 60X and it's definitely longer and still pretty accurate but not as accurate as the 910. Forgiveness wise both of those heads are actually really forgiving.

Honestly if you are looking for accuracy and don't mind giving up a few yards you can't beat the 910/Aldila combo... Will be pretty cheap as well.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

If you want the most forgiveness you want a head with high MOI, and that means a rearward and low CG. There was a driver head CG study performed a couple years back by a GolfWRX competitor (I'd provide a link but Golfwrx blocks the links) and the Ping G30 and Cobra Fly Z were the most forgiving. You gotta watch the details though because clubs like the Fly Z+ pushed the CG forward to lower spin but the MOI also dropped. Personally, I'd go straight to one of these two heads and then start experimenting with shafts. The newer heads are not any better, just more expensive. People sometimes bash high MOI heads as being high spin but a properly designed rear CG head has the CG near the neutral axis of the head so the spin is not overly high. It may be a little higher than the best low spin head designs, but these heads are not high spin per say.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

but am I missing out on a total package by going old school?

Probably, but not certainly IMO.

The issue is that the launch monitor can fool you in stuff like this. Theoretically, yes, you are giving up distance and probably a TON of it. However, your comfort level on the course matters for performance. A while back Lucas Glover won a PGA event with a SQ driver from 2006. He put it back in the bag b/c he really liked it. You might find yourself doing the same. That said, yes, modern drivers have a ton of advantages. A ton. I'd just make sure to buy it from somewhere that has a return policy so you can test the two out on the actual course.

I play two sm4s that are banged up as heck. Everything else in my bag is modern (Apex, G30s, etc...). Even though I "know" that an sm6 in the same grind and bounce is "better" than the sm4 objectively, I've had those for so long any other wedge in my hand with any other shaft feels off. You might find its the same, or you might not. I'm sure the newer wedges would generate more spin on trackman or whatever and i should probably buy them, but I feel so good with those sm4s I don't. Same thing with my putter. I've used it since 2008. Its ancient and I think it might be plastic. I got it at academy sports for $9.99 but i've used it for so long I'm not going to change.

Unfortunately its like learning to swim. You won't know until you dive in and get on the course. But I *would* try to find a new one b/c the gains can be huge. However, don't be scared to stick to what you know. In the end, the lowest score wins. Its like trust but verify. Experiment, but trust your own feelings about the results and the control you have over the golf ball. Don't let golf digest or whoever brainwash you into getting a new driver, but don't ignore it either. Just try out a ton of them and be honest with yourself about what you like and you'll be fine.

I've been told that with my game I'm giving up a lot by not playing newer wedges, but I don't agree. Never, ever let anyone tell you what feels right for you IMO. Get all the data and then make your own decision.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Best of luck!

I am a 17 handicap so you've got to know I don't hit the center of the driver face all that often. I have the new xr16 driver from Callaway that has turned some off-center hits into some pretty nice drives. It's a very forgiving Club. I also hear good things about the Ping G Series driver.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

In before MiamiMonkey comes in to rep cobra drivers he's never owned and starts throwing up MOI #'s as gospel.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Thanks. From reading reviews and threads here the Cobra LTD is actually the current driver I'm most interested in. I really like heavy low torque shafts, which seem to not be the norm these days. I don't have bags of money so not interested in paying for an upgrade, I want an oldschool boardy stock shaft. What comes stock in the Cobra.

Heavy and low torque sounds pretty much like the 75g HZRDUS shaft. It's super tight but not boardy at all. Coupled with the great feel from the LTD head it's a pretty amazing combo. It was a no charge upgrade when the LTD first came out but not sure if it still is. Word of warning though, mine came in at D9 swing weight with the HZRDUS. I will have to check what I ordered it at, I think it was +1/4". I got used to the heavy feel, and maybe that's why it works so well for me too.

4 Hybrid...
Ping Ketsch Mid 

My experience with long AND accuracy is Titleist or Cobra. And I've played a couple of PING drivers (along with others) in the past.

Again, just my personal on course experience but these two OEM's seem to make drivers that give me the confidence to play tight tree lined fairways while still giving me very good distance.

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I had better start putting some money away and do some testing. I have seen some g 30s and Cobra fly z/LTDs on the used rack at my local golf store, might give them a test drive next time I'm in there.

This year, I have bagged the G30, Cobra LTD, M1, G LS, Cobra LTD (2nd try with a different shaft) and M2 for at least 2 rounds each. Got the M2 to go against the LTD but there is no competing for me. King LTD is the best driver for me with both Forgiveness and Distance. The longest of the Bunch was the G LS paired with Hzrdus Yellow. The LTD sacrafices a few yards (but by no means short). I am talking 300 vs 320 but it's consistently straighter for me. I just feel like I know where I am going to be at all times. Misses are in the rough. Yes I get tempted to bag the G LS again and pick up the extra distance but my misses were in a different zip code. Get the LTD for a demo. It took time getting the right shaft for me with that head and once I did, it's become automatic for me and driver is the cause of 90% of my golf woes.

The LTD is the only thing that could kick the Bio Cell + out for me. I have it paired with an 8m3 @ 44.5" and its point and shoot. Worth every penny

TSR3 9 | VentusTR Blue 7x

Paradym 3W | S 83tx

Covert 5W | S 103 x

716 MB 4-P | PX 6.5

MG3 52 | S400

MG4 56 | S400

SM8 60 |S400

Phantom 5.5 

Z-star XV

My personal advice: try the King LTD. It is so ridiculously good it's making my fool cheap self considering buying one. I've had on course demo action with the LTD several times, and it's so absurd my friends berate me for not having picked one up yet.

Low spin and probably the most forgiving low spin driver out there. I can't believe the results I've gotten from less than stellar hits.

Pick one up, try it, if it doesn't blow your hair back, you can always go back to your long term love. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Here is some blunt advice: don't change, or trade in, your FT-3 until you are sure that the new driver is better. And, if that takes months to figure out, so be it.

This x1000....dont' get rid of your gamer until you absolutely know the new stick is in for the long haul!

4 Hybrid...
Ping Ketsch Mid