Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

iomarkoi

True, Ping is in business to make money, but as was said, it's a 30 yr old club and their more than willing to sell a brand new one at today's prices. What's the big deal of having the factory file and re stamp, it's their club and that serial number is documented in their files. It's not like someone is looking for Ping to authenticate a forgery. May have to inquire about the price of a replacement club, for I realize that it's the accepted status of having matching numbers throughout the set. Just going to have to bite the bullet on this and make everything status quo.....

Reading comprehesion is a learned skill. Dude, they are protecting their brand. As they should. Not helping you make a bastxxx set match! Get real.

Ah!, got your underwear on backwards............Dude, their protecting nothing, it's their club with their number. Oh but I can make your bastxxx set match by ponying up for a new club. Here's a little hint, just to further make your day...........spell check works wonders, give it a try, but were actually does your assessment of reading comprehension come into the mix, oh that's right it doesn't, just something you thought would be a flagrant backhand to show how aloof you think you are.....................sad, really sad..........

I am sorry for the above comments................just noticed your avatar and realized you have issues.........

Reading comprehesion is a learned skill. Dude, they are protecting their brand. As they should. Not helping you make a bastxxx set match! Get real.

Ah!, got your underwear on backwards............Dude, their protecting nothing, it's their club with their number. Oh but I can make your bastxxx set match by ponying up for a new club. Here's a little hint, just to further make your day...........spell check works wonders, give it a try, but were actually does your assessment of reading comprehension come into the mix, oh that's right it doesn't, just something you thought would be a flagrant backhand to show how aloof you think you are.....................sad, really sad..........

I am sorry for the above comments................just noticed your avatar and realized you have issues.........

Dude: "spell check works wonders, give it a try, but were actually does your assessment of reading comprehension come into the mix," it is actually "where" you might want an adult to proof read your flaming retorts...grammar, it matters...and Ping owns the brand, and as such can make any decision regarding said product they wish, it is not all that much different than GM not allowing just anyone to purchase a VIN Plate or the sticker containing the VIN on the door...they are protecting their brand. Should you ever sell the set with the altered replacement it would be tantamount to selling a base model 1969 Camaro as a Z28 because one has placed badges on it or even cloned one...it was not, is not, and never will be, a 1969 Z28 nor will your club, with a replaced serial number, even by Ping, be an original replacement of the club missing from your set.

• 2 months later...

I could throw my eye 2's in a ditch and they would boomerang back into my bag. I've played these for 25 years and I plan on playing them the next 25. They are black dot, other's pending, beautiful chocolate patina.

In a bit of a tangle with the eye 2's recently though. I've learned more about proper fitting and have learned my irons are pretty short for my height and build. Learning that a 9 iron at 1.5 inches over standard is my ideal position. So I'm in a experiment phase of trying to keep my eye 2's in the similar swing weight range with a different shaft. I've tried just using extensions in a zz lite and zz 65 and that ended up in some ugly results. High swing weights and the balance of the club being all screwed up. My next attempt is a 80 gram stiff hard stepped steelfiber. Fingers crossed for the classics

"Patience without understanding"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have both a Black Dot and Blue Dot sets sitting here. Just put new old school Ping Style (striped) grips on all of them. Black Dot 3-PW, Blue dot 2-PW.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I'm hopefully picking up a set tomorrow morning. Black spot in mint condition but the fella wont reserve them until 9pm tonight.... Be gutted if someone gazups me as I really want them!!

What shafts scruffy? Any original spec in eye2s is likely to be stiffer than the JZs you turned down in those zings you were looking at.

I'm hopefully picking up a set tomorrow morning. Black spot in mint condition but the fella wont reserve them until 9pm tonight.... Be gutted if someone gazups me as I really want them!!

What shafts scruffy? Any original spec in eye2s is likely to be stiffer than the JZs you turned down in those zings you were looking at.

Jz regular.... They're eye2+ but for £50 I can't grumble at all!!

That's got to be quite an unusual set up, but a perfect fit for what you've been looking for. Great find! Don't worry about them being pluses, I'd think outside of the wedges the differences in play are pretty minimal. And from black spot, with those narrow waisted hosels, you should be able to adjust as needed.

That's got to be quite an unusual set up, but a perfect fit for what you've been looking for. Great find! Don't worry about them being pluses, I'd think outside of the wedges the differences in play are pretty minimal. And from black spot, with those narrow waisted hosels, you should be able to adjust as needed.

Hope so, I'll pick them up and they'll be red labelled but he said they are regular but for £50 I'm taking the risk. Having said that, the fitting muddled my head. I used zz lite for nearly all my golfing life and never thought anything about it. I think if I hit jz, ktm or zz I'll be fine in the older pings.

I really wish I never had that fitting and just hit what felt right!

As we both suspected they weren't regular but the old fella generally thought they were so I didn't say anything as he was a very nice old chap. Anyway, they are ktm and he bought them new in the early 90s and boy they are pristine!! The heads and shafts are in fantastic condition but the grips were shiny and need replacing.

But before I did some grip replacement I spent hours hitting them.....I don't care what the fitter said, I really can't hit these any better than I did. I just really hurt my hands due to the grips.....but a small price to pay! Not bad for £50

Just realised that they are 3/4 inch shorter than standard, probably explains why I was hitting them so well being 5ft 6"!!

I recently picked up a set of Eye2 Plus irons 4-SW are in the bag and as the SW is 53 Degrees, I have added my old Ping Eye2 SW at 57.5 degrees.

It is a great way to have a lot of different wedge options. All of them have ZZ Lites too!

Lots of Ping players did that wedge move in the transition from Eye 2s to the + version way back then. Its still just as good of an idea now.

Well after all that I'm feeling rather deflated.... The eye2s just felt so light and I just couldn't get to grips with them. It was a push followed by pull and they really balloned....so much so that I returned to my k3 rails and they felt so much better. All that excitement from last Thursday - Friday, only to find out what I had was best.....there's a moral to this story somewhere??!!

I've got an early set of blue dot Eye 2 BeCu's (1-L) that I enjoy and are properly fit to me. I also have a slightly later set of standard Eye 2's (1-L) that are great. Some days, I like to take out my early Ping Zings. I hit them well.

Lots of room for old Pings here but I also have a recent set of Titleist AP1's.

Hey folks,

I see this is a recently active Ping thread, so I'd like to take the liberty to get some opinions on the club pictured below. I bought them at Nevada Bob's for my wife (regular men's shafts) after she bought me a set of Staffs...probably around 1987. I couldn't afford to get her Pings and she was just starting golf, but doesn't play any more. Some 30 years later, I've retired, and I'm starting to rotate play through the dozen or so sets I've acquired, but none of those are cavity back, which I've resisted playing even until today. But I have a new policy...leave no set behind...and recently, on the cheap, I acquired a set of Eye 2 woods and a Ping bag.

So, my question...are these Ping enough (for now) to pair with the woods, and go have my first CB round? I feel I need a set of CBs for visiting friends as well. My question is really asking how close are these to real Eye 2s? There's a little star painted black, so I think that means standard lie, and while the shafts say Tour USA, I can see they are True Temper with that little black writing about 2/3s down. I know it's a stretch, but I don't have any real Pings for comparison...thanks in advance.

Hey folks,

I see this is a recently active Ping thread, so I'd like to take the liberty to get some opinions on the club pictured below. I bought them at Nevada Bob's for my wife (regular men's shafts) after she bought me a set of Staffs...probably around 1987. I couldn't afford to get her Pings and she was just starting golf, but doesn't play any more. Some 30 years later, I've retired, and I'm starting to rotate play through the dozen or so sets I've acquired, but none of those are cavity back, which I've resisted playing even until today. But I have a new policy...leave no set behind...and recently, on the cheap, I acquired a set of Eye 2 woods and a Ping bag.

So, my question...are these Ping enough (for now) to pair with the woods, and go have my first CB round? I feel I need a set of CBs for visiting friends as well. My question is really asking how close are these to real Eye 2s? There's a little star painted black, so I think that means standard lie, and while the shafts say Tour USA, I can see they are True Temper with that little black writing about 2/3s down. I know it's a stretch, but I don't have any real Pings for comparison...thanks in advance.

Those are knock-offs of the original Karsten irons, not Eye II.

k1iron.jpg

As far as how they play, knock-offs can run the range from quite good to pretty crappy, depending on the care taken during the manufacturing and building process. The only way you'll be able to judge is to go out and hit them yourself. The irons appear pretty similar based upon the photo you provided and are cast from a softer 18-8 stainless than the 17-4 Ping uses, FWIW.

Good luck with them!

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

I was looking at my dad's set of LH original Eye 2s the other day.

Those cast Pings really hold up - something players who spend a lot of time practicing really appreciate.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I was looking at my dad's set of LH original Eye 2s the other day.

Those cast Pings really hold up - something players who spend a lot of time practicing really appreciate.

Texsport

A big reason I keep thinking about sets of Pings for long term use.

Had this really driven home last summer. Friend of mine was getting married, his bachelor party was a golf outing to one of the higher dollar courses in the area, considered to be quite the course. Bent grass fairways, all sorts of fun. Was playing my Golden Rams at the time, didn't see any reason to switch for this outing.

Out on the course, hit into a couple bunkers, only to find this course had a considerable number of rocks in the sand. Some visible, some not so much. Found out the hard way, fortunately didn't cause any damage. If it were just an odd rock here and there, it wouldn't have bothered me, there's not much that you can do about it. Rocks are hard to avoid. But this was a bit beyond...

Makes it easier to just play indestructo-Pings and not worry about it as much. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Hey folks,

Those are knock-offs of the original Karsten irons, not Eye II.

k1iron.jpg

As far as how they play, knock-offs can run the range from quite good to pretty crappy, depending on the care taken during the manufacturing and building process. The only way you'll be able to judge is to go out and hit them yourself. The irons appear pretty similar based upon the photo you provided and are cast from a softer 18-8 stainless than the 17-4 Ping uses, FWIW.

Good luck with them!

Agree with all of that - with the caveat that whilst Pings are indeed cast from some pretty stout grade of steel, they don't necessarily play harshly. I think part of that is down to perimeter weighting providing some forgiveness, but have also heard that the heat treatment that Ping heads go through post-casting improves the feel (and perhaps improves their adjustability also).