high school tryouts

I graduated in '08 and our tryouts were very difficult. Each year all returning players were "unofficially" guaranteed their place on the "12-man roster" if they wanted it. Since we kept 3 per grade, that meant that there were 3 places available for incoming freshmen and only in extreme circumstances were sophomores, juniors or seniors considered for a spot (although last year a single-digit junior tried out and earned a spot on the team due to the weakness of the junior class as a whole). Those 3 freshmen spots were more-or-less filled at the coach's discretion (with input from the captain [me for the last two years- yay!]). The freshmen played 5 days (weather permitting) and the players who were clearly better than the rest were given spots on the team. If all 3 spots hadn't been filled, scores from a randomly chosen day or an average of scores from 6 randomly chosen holes were used to fill out the team. Most of the time it was clear before the season began who was going to make the team. As captain, it was my unofficial duty to monitor all of the summer tournaments in the state that had players that were going to be trying out for the team so that I could give accurate and fact-based advise to our coach as needed. I have binders filled with stats from the last few seasons. The great thing about this system is that it creates a team that is incredibly deep. Our league uses a point system to qualify for our regional tournament and last season, due to our ability to earn lots of points in just a few events, 7 of the 28 players in the field at regionals were from our team. It is definitely a difficult tryout system, but when you have 20 or 30 players trying out for 3 spots, you definitely get to see which guys can play well under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us here in sunny southern California, we have 4 total days of try-outs. And only new people to the program "try out". For returning members the week or so of practice leading up to the season is our try out.

Day 1) Range time, coach goes around and checks out everyones swing. He's usually looking for solid fundamentals and understanding of the game. He may or may not ask you to hit a specific shot or club.

Day 2) Same as day 1

CUT!!!!!

Day 3) People who made it through the first cut play 9 holes at our home course. The people that usually make it to this stage show solid fundamentals, understanding of the game, and potential.

Day 4) Again we play 9 holes at our home course. Both rounds are added up and coach deliberates over who he should take. He considers fundamentals, understanding of the game, attitude, work ethic, and potential.

Then the next day the final cut is posted and the final roster is set. :blind:

For us here in sunny southern California, we have 4 total days of try-outs. And only new people to the program "try out". For returning members the week or so of practice leading up to the season is our try out.

Day 1) Range time, coach goes around and checks out everyones swing. He's usually looking for solid fundamentals and understanding of the game. He may or may not ask you to hit a specific shot or club.

Day 2) Same as day 1

CUT!!!!!

Day 3) People who made it through the first cut play 9 holes at our home course. The people that usually make it to this stage show solid fundamentals, understanding of the game, and potential.

Day 4) Again we play 9 holes at our home course. Both rounds are added up and coach deliberates over who he should take. He considers fundamentals, understanding of the game, attitude, work ethic, and potential.

Then the next day the final cut is posted and the final roster is set. :blind:

My high school tryouts were gay- it was pretty much 9 holes one day, and another 9 holes on another day, and she took the lowest 6. I know I was one of the best since my freshman year, but I couldn't put 2 solid 9-hole rounds together in gr 9 or 10, so I wasn't on the team either of those years. Junior year I made it, then senior year I was captain of it (winning tryouts by a total of 6 shots after firing 35-36 for a 71) :S ...in 2 years, I went from being cut, to clear #1 on the team... I don't get it, I think it was a stupid way to do tryouts, because a guy who got cut should have been our CLEAR #2 player, but he fired 45-40 and got cut, despite me telling the coach "pick him! you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you cut him". Whatever. No wonder we could never crack out any high finishes (7th out of 23 teams in one tournament was our best tournament... and that was with a 76 on my card (tough day), which was the 4th lowest score shot that day... our next best was an 85 if I remember correctly)

Whatever

College tryouts were more thorough- we played 54 holes, each one being watched periodically by a coach/assistant coach, then after the scores were counted, the coach also looked at past tournaments, past playing experience and stuff. That way, when he picked a 6-man team, he picked the 6 best players who could put up a number consistently, not just someone who had a hot round, or picked someone who might have struggled in tryouts, but can put up good numbers 95% of the time. For example, our #5 guy shot 85 in one tryout, but he had won a tournament in july (in a playoff no less), and had picked up a handful of other top 5 and top 10 finishes. There was also another guy who shot a 71 in one of the tryout rounds, but got cut due to little tournament experience and a bad temper

For our team its

Day 1- coach watches us each hit balls. Then we have two putts, one about 15 feet and one about 40 feet. Then we have chipping and pitching. Cuts are made down to approximately 10 or less

Day 2 and 3- nine holes at home course. (Matches are 9 holes). He will exempt anywhere from 1 to 4 players if he feels they have shown him in 18 holes that they have enough game to make the team. Otherwise, its on to day 4

Day 4- Nine holes. final day cuts are made. Will most likely take the anywhere between 2 and 7 players.

At our school, the golf team is considered the hardest team to make, based on a ratio of how many kids tryout to how many kids make the team

Seniors must make top 7 if they are going to stay on the team and Juniors must make top 10.

WITB:

Taylormade 2016 M1 430 9.5 - Tour AD GP 7S
Taylormade 2016 M2 15 - Diamana S+ 70 S
Titleist H2 19 - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8S
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21 - PX 6.0
Miuzno MP 64 - KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Fourteen RM 12 54/60 - KBS Tour Custom Black Mist
Bettinardi BB5

There are some seriously intense tryouts for some people. My high school tryouts were one day, 18 holes of golf. People with the lowest scores made the team as long as you had an even temper and were a decent kid.

I first tried out when I was a sophomore, a year after I started playing golf. Shot a 92 and didn't make it. The next year I came back and shot an 85 in miserable conditions and made it. Its alot of fun.

Our team is consistently one of the top teams in the state so it is tough to make....

Day 1/2 New players play 9 holes a day to determine the first cut, about 10 make it through (Though with the weather here in MN it is usually only one day)

Day 3/4 The players that made it through the first join the returning 15-20 players and the low 20 after 18 holes make the team.

Our coach picks the top 6 usually on past experience, at least from the beginning and than you can play your way on.

54 holes

Seniors need to be in the top 5

Juniors need to be in the top 8

Sophmores and freshmen make up the rest of the team.

Lots of good juniors and seniors get cut due to the freshmen. Does not seem fair at the time, but the coach would rather build his program.

Of course there are expections to these rules, we just need a good top 8, nothing else matters.

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter