Scotty Cameron - Napa

Titleist-Golfer

Why are they so expensive???
The Napa is the least complicated, least forgiving, have the lowest MOI, and appeal to the fewest players, so why on Earth are all Napa's so expensive?

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely supply and demand, many want them and many dont sell them, so when they come up they sell for a good size chunk of change...

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

The Napa is the least complicated, least forgiving, have the lowest MOI, and appeal to the fewest players, so why on Earth are all Napa's so expensive?

I would not say that the Napa style is the least complicated putter. Go ask David Mills to build you this style and see what he says. This style is one of the harder putters to get everything correct when building.

I think with Scotty Napa's it comes down to the fact that these are not normal OTR putters but built in limited numbers in every Napa release. So if you add up the fact they are harder than you think to build, they are built to high standards in quality, normally have special stamping/engraving and then add in the relative low numbers produced and it is easy to see why they priced as they are.

I own just about every 8802 style putter built in the last twenty five years and none of them come close to matching the Napa's in my collection for feel and craftmanship.

Supply and demand of course keeps the prices even keel on these. Of all of the putters I have in this style my Scotty Napa's have suffered little or no depreciation. The value of my investment is still there. Can't really say that about all of the others.

They are so expensive because they say, "Scotty Cameron" on them. Its just like with Bullseyes. A Scotty Cameron Bullseye goes for waaaaay more money than a regular one that says, "Titleist" or "Achushnet" on it.

Some people will pay big money for anything that says Scotty Cameron on it.

Now you are catching on. The name adds value, just like Cadillac.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

They are so expensive because they say, "Scotty Cameron" on them. Its just like with Bullseyes. A Scotty Cameron Bullseye goes for waaaaay more money than a regular one that says, "Titleist" or "Achushnet" on it.

The Cameron Bullseyes are also made of Carbon Steel and fully milled. Better materials and different manufacturing. Thats another reason they are more expensive.

I agree,Napa style putters are just beautiful.I started for looking for one after I saw Mickleson use it on TV.It is such a classicly beautiful club.But ofcourse thats when I got the sticker-shock.I did not see for a life of me why they would charge $400-500 for this club.After all,it wasnt made of silver or copper,or was there a lot of money spend on research and design.Napa/8802 have been around from begining of time,its a simple blade shape putter.

In my search I did find a very nice subsitude,its a Yes putter called Sophia.I have been using her since 2004 (longest time amongst all the clubs that I have ever owned)and she is a beauty.

I would buy a Napa if the prices werent so outragous.Having Scotty stamp on them diffentley hurts in that department.Although I dont know why,he normally designs such ugly putters,I know,I own 2 of them.

I would not say that the Napa style is the least complicated putter. Go ask David Mills to build you this style and see what he says. This style is one of the harder putters to get everything correct when building.

I think with Scotty Napa's it comes down to the fact that these are not normal OTR putters but built in limited numbers in every Napa release. So if you add up the fact they are harder than you think to build, they are built to high standards in quality, normally have special stamping/engraving and then add in the relative low numbers produced and it is easy to see why they priced as they are.

I own just about every 8802 style putter built in the last twenty five years and none of them come close to matching the Napa's in my collection for feel and craftmanship.

Supply and demand of course keeps the prices even keel on these. Of all of the putters I have in this style my Scotty Napa's have suffered little or no depreciation. The value of my investment is still there. Can't really say that about all of the others.

Kevin

I'm an almost old fart and I've owned and sold many Napa's. I remember when I was selling them for $75-100 shortly after they originally came out. In my opinion if not for Phil Mickelson using it and having success with it, there wouldn't have been that much of a demand for them because only after the Master's win did the resale price really skyrocket. I'd never have gotten $500-600 for it back when it originally came out. :yes:

Which is interesting because having owned 2 Cameron Bullseyes and 3 Acushnet and pre-Cameron "SC" brass Bullseyes, the older brass models feel much softer (for me at least). The newer PP models have a much harder feel.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

Which is interesting because having owned 2 Cameron Bullseyes and 3 Acushnet and pre-Cameron "SC" brass Bullseyes, the older brass models feel much softer (for me at least). The newer PP models have a much harder feel.

The Brass one's with SC on them are in fact Scotty Cameron models (or so I belive) thats what the SC stands for. Same with the 1st production of Pro-Platinum Bullesye's...they have Titleist Bullseye on the sole , the bullseye symbol on the heel and they have SC written at the top of the hosel. I actually had a SC Brass Bullseye and agree the feel of it was superb. I didn't know what I had and sold it for peanut's, these Brass SC Bullseye's sell for £150 ($250). Below are two pictures of Brass Bullseye's, the SC one is more rounded to the toe.

I'm a Bullseye and Napa man as that style putter with plenty of toe flow suits my putting stroke. My Gamer is currenty an old Brass heel shafted Bullseye which cost me £25!!!

Kevin

The price of putters are very much just like the price of cars as Kevin has pointed out. You can get to point B from point A in a Geo Metro or you can choose to make the trip in a Cadillac.

I have owned some pretty low priced vehicles in my life and I currently drive a 2009 Mercury Mountaineer that had a sticker price near $40K. Not a Cadillac, but not a Geo Metro either.

Same thing can be said of putters. I game a old $10 Spalding Rabbits Foot from time to time just for fun and I can get the ball in the hole with it the same as I can with my $500 Napa. But I must admitt, it is more fun with the Napa just like it is more fun driving my Mountaineer to the course than it was my old $500 beater when I was a kid.

This debate can go on as I'm sure it will but it seems rather pointless to me. There are lots of putters models out there just like there are lots of vehicles to choose from.

I have always thought it funny on this site to see guys with $400 drivers in their signature lambasting someone for paying the same price for a putter. Pretty funny stuff.

The price of putters are very much just like the price of cars as Kevin has pointed out. You can get to point B from point A in a Geo Metro or you can choose to make the trip in a Cadillac.

I have owned some pretty low priced vehicles in my life and I currently drive a 2009 Mercury Mountaineer that had a sticker price near $40K. Not a Cadillac, but not a Geo Metro either.

Same thing can be said of putters. I game a old $10 Spalding Rabbits Foot from time to time just for fun and I can get the ball in the hole with it the same as I can with my $500 Napa. But I must admitt, it is more fun with the Napa just like it is more fun driving my Mountaineer to the course than it was my old $500 beater when I was a kid.

This debate can go on as I'm sure it will but it seems rather pointless to me. There are lots of putters models out there just like there are lots of vehicles to choose from.

I have always thought it funny on this site to see guys with $400 drivers in their signature lambasting someone for paying the same price for a putter. Pretty funny stuff.

Good post CallawayOnly. I'm back to driving a $500.00 beater. It's not nearly as much fun! :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

Let me see if I can explain how I justify paying 400 for a driver but have a hard time doing that for a putter (although I have never lambasted anyone for doing so,to each his own).

To me there is a lot of R&D that is involved with drivers.Also the material used,such as carbone composites,and titanium are more expensive to develope and use.Dont forget the shafts that are used and how great and complicated they are in both design and development.

But the putters arent the same,specially this putter in question,SC Napa.Its a very basic(although beautiful) head that was basically designed in 1800's.It is made of a very basic and ample metal,steel,and its attached to a $15 shaft.

I can see spending $100-125 for this putter,but $400-500 will have to weight till I win the lottery,.......twice.

I rather stick to my $120 Sophia made by Yes putters.Its a very beautiful copy of the original 8802 and very functional.Had her since 04,longer then any other club in my bag.

Please dont take what I said as lambasting or insult,I would never tell anyone how they should spend their money.

By the way,how did all these Bulls eyes get here??I like to see some beautiful pictures of the SC Napa

I have owned (and own) some of the best blades out there.. including the original 64 8802 and original designed by AP. Both are exceptional putters with great feel, but I have to give a very slight edge to my tour sc napa in PP finish. Maybe its the PP I prefer because I like my SC masters winner as well and it's PP finish,but yes I think it comes down to supply and demand. Ppl who by SC Napas know what they are looking for and usually keep them. Anser style ppl tend to test drive and more of them are made as well.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Very few people can really putt well with them-- But 8802 shapes just look good.

But since a Production one (non limited) hasn't been made in 10 years.... it's more of a collectors realm. Know how it goes, when you cant get something- some folks want it more.

Of Note. ALL Napa's from the Original Gun Blues to the more modern Limited Napa Valley are a 2 piece design. (photo below) You can find very different hosels on gun blues. Some with more offset than others thicker and thinner diameters.....showing quite a bit of hand work.

That makes sense. It would be an absolute nightmare to mill one piece. A ton of 3-D milling with small stepover for stage one. I can't imagine the soft-jaws for stage 2 as there are virtually no flat surfaces and the whole neck is compound curves. Just thinking about the amount of code editing post CAM and cycle time would be enough to dissuade almost anyone from doing it one piece.

The only 1 piecer I remember seeing was a Webb. He did a limited run of 10 or so out of 1018 or 1020. The price was 250 UK pounds and he said he was making no money doing them.

I think the American Classic Napa is the best looking putter I've ever seen... I need to save up some cash and ho me one of those to game :)

EDIT;- Sorry FishLips.... it was me who posted the pics of the Bullseye's. Somebody mentioned how just having Scotty Cameron on them made them more expensive, I was just showing the difference in shape...I love a nice Bullseye putter pure classic beauty 'You can't beat a bit of Bully'

That makes sense. It would be an absolute nightmare to mill one piece. A ton of 3-D milling with small stepover for stage one. I can't imagine the soft-jaws for stage 2 as there are virtually no flat surfaces and the whole neck is compound curves. Just thinking about the amount of code editing post CAM and cycle time would be enough to dissuade almost anyone from doing it one piece.

The only 1 piecer I remember seeing was a Webb. He did a limited run of 10 or so out of 1018 or 1020. The price was 250 UK pounds and he said he was making no money doing them.

Serg, I hear ya- But it can be done ! :-)

Serg, I hear ya- But it can be done ! :-)

Nice Geo. It's going to be a wild ride, lotsa tweaking. I think almost every putter guy wants to do one but when you really look at how much work and time (read:money) it takes to do right one piece it can be a little intimidating.

What kind of offset are you shooting for?

You may be able to do a fairly large run and sell them all. The market is fairly small, but so is the supply. Once you have the CAD model perfected, CAM and code where you want, fixturing made and a couple good protos almost all the hard work is done anyway.

Good luck. I look forward to any pics down the line on the forum as things progress.