2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The cult of Cameron...

staunty

It can get better...

Banistr I loved that picture the first time I saw it.

Scotty Cameron and the koolaid gang.

Reminds me how successful Scotty has been starting a whole new segment of the putter market place.

High quality milled putters.

Now there are lots of koolaid companies both old and new following in Scotty's footsteps.

But that is good because they fill a need for the high end putter junkie that needs to tell his putter maker how to make their putter.

Thankfully so. Why would I want to spend my hard earned dollars for something that I do not want?

I'd prefer no site alignment on my putter. Boutique guy: No Problem. Don T: NO F**KING WAY!!!

Can I get *** finish on my putter? Boutique guy: Absolutely. Don T: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Can you make my putter with ** loft, ** lie, ** length, and ** grip? Boutique guy: Sure, it's your putter. Don T: It will get a "C" COA.

I don't care what you give me as long as there is a dog taking a dump on the sole. Don T: Make your check out to *******. ;)

I could have sworn "High quality milled putters" were started by TP Mills. He actually WAS established in 1962 afterall. It's not just a marketing slogan for them. :rolleyes:

Stagie you can get anything you want on a putter from Scotty, all you got do is have some talent.

When you have some success on the mini tours Scotty will be there to make you what you want.

Till then it is stock for you and me.

Well there are a few custom options you can order from Titleist on stock putters

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a putter is a putter..... Play what you like and play what makes you feel like you can sink the putt better!

I own quite a few Scotty Putters now. I just started getting into Cameron's in the past year. In all fairness, just take a look at some of the putters being put out now by ping or odyssey! I used to use Ping putters and love them but you absolutely have to buy the redwood putters now to get one that doesn't look like it was made by WalMart! I saw Nike's new putters yesterday that have horrible graphics on the insert as well. As for Odyssey, I don't like insert putters so they have nothing to offer. There is reasoning behind buying certain putters not just a name!!!!!

It can get better...

Reminds me how successful Scotty has been starting a whole new segment of the putter market place.

Now there are lots of koolaid companies both old and new following in Scotty's footsteps.

But that is good because they fill a need for the high end putter junkie that needs to tell his putter maker how to make their putter.

Thankfully so. Why would I want to spend my hard earned dollars for something that I do not want?

I'd prefer no site alignment on my putter. Boutique guy: No Problem. Don T: NO F**KING WAY!!!

Can I get *** finish on my putter? Boutique guy: Absolutely. Don T: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Can you make my putter with ** loft, ** lie, ** length, and ** grip? Boutique guy: Sure, it's your putter. Don T: It will get a "C" COA.

I don't care what you give me as long as there is a dog taking a dump on the sole. Don T: Make your check out to *******. ;)

I could have sworn "High quality milled putters" were started by TP Mills. He actually WAS established in 1962 afterall. It's not just a marketing slogan for them. :rolleyes:

Stagie you can get anything you want on a putter from Scotty, all you got do is have some talent.

When you have some success on the mini tours Scotty will be there to make you what you want.

Well there are a few custom options you can order from Titleist on stock putters

I'd like to thank Greg for pointing out another difference between Scotty and his competitors. You don't have to be elitist or a tourmant champion to get a custom putter from the competitors. They are happy to help you build the putter of YOUR dreams. The competitors WILL return your phone calls. The competitors will let you choose YOUR painfill. The competitors will not ask for your golfing pedigree. They will ask you what you want to have built and then do their best to meet every one of your expectations.

It's a shame that Cameron will not let me choose my favorite flavor of Kool-Aid. ;)

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

It can get better...

I'd like to thank Greg for pointing out another difference between Scotty and his competitors. You don't have to be elitist or a tourmant champion to get a custom putter from the competitors. They are happy to help you build the putter of YOUR dreams. The competitors WILL return your phone calls. The competitors will let you choose YOUR painfill. The competitors will not ask for your golfing pedigree. They will ask you what you want to have built and then do their best to meet every one of your expectations.

It's a shame that Cameron will not let me choose my favorite flavor of Kool-Aid. ;)

Who do you think are his major competitors? The ones I would consider his competitors do not offer these custom putters! Actually Scotty has the best custom shop for OTR putter than any of his competitors. Guess what, anyone can use the Custom shop and they don't question your "pedigree". Not to mention that they get back to you very quickly via email and always answer the phone so I don't get what you are saying there.

It can get better...

If Scotty wasn't so successful and busy with his tour players and wide variety of retail putters he could be free all day to talk on the phone. If Scotty did have time to do all the things you mentioned there is no way he could do the things he needs to do like take care of his tour players or retail putter models, and that is what Titleist hired him to do.

I don't understand how you can knock on him for doing his job and doing what he was hired to do.

i think the putter is the most important club in the bag. it's the one you will use the most & usually accounts for 40% of your strokes per round. you need to find one you like & get it, no matter the cost. if it's cameron good, if not, then that's good too as long as you like what you have. i have tried many models of many brands to find the one that gives me the most confidence.

i'm sure a lot of people play cameron for the name & popularity, the same could be said for the prov1 ball, but most good players do so for the performance they get.

It can get better...

If Scotty wasn't so successful and busy with his tour players and wide variety of retail putters he could be free all day to talk on the phone. If Scotty did have time to do all the things you mentioned there is no way he could do the things he needs to do like take care of his tour players or retail putter models, and that is what Titleist hired him to do.

I don't understand how you can knock on him for doing his job and doing what he was hired to do.

I think what Stage is saying here is that there is something special when a putter designer works with the common player. There is no question that Cameron makes a very good putter and there is nothing wrong that he has deep ties with the tour. If we are all honest here, Acushnet has quite a bit to do with this. While nothing every has been released regarding this, as far as I can recollect, Titleist dollars may have much to do with tour players using a Cameron as much as how good Cameron putters are. To be fair, how would Byron Nelson or David Mills do if Acushnet provided them the support they have for Cameron.

My comment is not meant to be a knock against Cameron. Heck, I have collected my fair share of Camerons in my time. While some think 14 Cameron putters (in the course of 12 years), including 3 limited edition putters, are significant, others will mock my former collection as OTRs, not true collectors putters like tour/studio/garage offerings. The point of this thread illustrates that there are people who would walk into the valley of death for Scotty Cameron and his putters. The same people will unconditionally defend Scotty and what he produces until their very last breath has been expelled. There are those who would not walk an inch for a Cameron putter. While I have nothing against Cameron putters, I want real value for the putters I own. While Cameron OTR putters are very nice putters, I have discovered that a little customization is really what I am looking for. I have found this with a couple of putter manufacturers (boutique putter makers). I will even have a chance to meet one of them next week after the PGA show as he as offered me an invitation to visit him. I am certain that I will never get an invitation to visit Scotty. If I were able to visit the Studio I definitely would and would be grateful. But let's be real, I am a common player, not in the inner circle, so I will not warrant an invitation (even though I know someone who is in the inner circle). Being that as it may, I hold no grudges, no ill feelings. It is business to Scotty, just business. Maybe that is the real issue here.

That being said, people that appreciate and want a Cameron putter should buy one. I believe they are terrific putters and Scotty is very talented in his craft. While there are those who support Cameron with every baited breath, there are those who do not. Due to personal reasons, I have chosen to support the smaller putter makers because of what they offer me. That said, this will be an ongoing "battle" that may never be resolved. For some, collecting Cameron controlled released items is good enough for them. For others, more personal attention in the putter building process is what is sought. At the end of the day, the decision each person should make is what value (to them) a putter holds, not a battle of ideology. However, if people are going to support Cameron, please do not muddy the waters and speak of how many PGA Tour putter counts he wins. We all know Acushnet has much to do with that. Let's just talk of putters, not putter politics. Just my 2 cents.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I am not a Cameron disciple by any means, and when I see the prices people are paying for headcovers it reminds a lot of Beanie Babies. Things that are just worth something because someone says there are. There are a lot of collectibles that have little or no intrinsic value, like baseball cards. It's hard for those that aren't collectors to see what people get out of collecting these things.

That being said, I just bought a Red X at the big Golf Galaxy clearout for $61. I figured I could sell it for more than that. I rolled a few with it, and really ended up liking it. So I am going to give it a chance, despite my preconceived notions of Scotty hype. In some incredibly stupid way, I don't want to like it. I don't want to be "Scotty Guy". But if it feels that good on the course I WILL use it. I will just put my old Slazenger putter cover on it so no one makes fun of me.

I think SC should not be compared to the small custom putter makers. It is unfair to both sides. They are different breeds. One makes putters in the tens of thousands in a year, the others a couple of thousand maybe. There will be differences in what they can do, quality control, etc.

SC's bulk of sales are still OTR putters. That should be compared to Oddyssey, Rossa and whomever makes OTR out there.

I would guess the need for a custom alignment/sweetspot aide, a specific finish, etc are all aftermarket/done at the Studio. Even when custom ordered, my guess is they just do modifications to an OTR head. I guess the closest thing that you can find that is very very similar would be Ping and Pingwrx for their putters. Not Byron, Not Slighter, Not David Mills.

If you want a truly custom SC by Donald himself you gotta have major pull or truly major $$$.

I use a Mac and a Bettinardi does that mean you have a different secret handshake?

My guess is anyone with more then 3 pieces of Scotty paraphernalia or the 8X10 of himself he was selling on his website for $75 should be in a cult.

Come on now. I was playing friendly and have been saying nice things about Bobby B... Can't everybody just get along? I like my Scotty's and don't give a flying f*** what anybody else uses...

:drinks:

Kevin

well said

PING G430 LS 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60X
TaylorMade M5 15* // Project X LZ 6.5 
Titleist 915 3H // Diamana S+ 80X 
PING Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Phantom X STR (or) Byron Morgan DH89

Just as an added note; Scotty will be at the Table Rock booth Friday from 3 to 5 PM. Stope by and say hello. Maybe I'll see ya there!

PS; I still think we have beat this horse about long enough once again. This same topic seems to have sort of a Groundhog Day effect. Maybe it is me, but I think we have been down this road before.

Yeah well Scotty's are made in shop, in the USA. Bettinardi, TP mills, Byron, and C & L's are all made in China in these little sweat shops. I seen it first hand. Tragic.

You mean Bettinardi is lying when he says all his putters are made in Chicago?

That is a tough call out. I hope you have something to back that up, because people have been to Studi B and have seen the putters made there.

I think he was being sarcastic....BUT I could be wrong, I've been wrong before. ;)

Peace

I base my thoughts in conjunction with his previous posts in this thread. None of which has indicated sarcasm.

Ok Mr. Spock. :) <-----SERIOUSLY I was just kidding here.

Engage.

Sorry your response made me laugh...ok then we have knuckleheads here. Carry on number one.

;)

I tend to agree, people really just need to lighten up a bit here. But, passion is just that...passion regardless of it's focus. Hell I'm not passionate about any putter but ping....but if I had the money to drop on a Newport 2(that and 1 Newport Detour are the ONLY models available at 1 little shop in the entire southern 1/4 of the state of Alabama...go figure. lol) I would in a heartbeat. I also think that 300 bucks is worth it to get a never used in the box Cameron putter. Wouldn't think twice about it, but I wouldn't care any less about Ping either.

Peace(I hope)

;)

let me just say this regardless of what putter you play i think it truly depends on what your looking for. i have a scotty cameron tei3 because i like the feel of the insert and the flowing lines of the putter -- that being said it is being customed to my finish, weight, sight line, and sound slot. im sure i could have gone out and gotten a putter that performed just as well from slighter golf but with cameron i know what i am getting already. i am not a big believer in his new models of putters (although the studio select isn't bad) but i feel that he has tried to become too main stream of a name and forgotten about his beginings and original designs which made people fall in love with cameron. if you're going to get a cameron i would look into some of his older models, they are much less boxy and new age and have more of a no bs set up. that being said i think cameron putters do preform just as well as anything else on the market and being able to go to a golf store and try them as a household name is a plus for the average golfer. just my opinion on a very touchy subject.

PING G430 LS 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60X
TaylorMade M5 15* // Project X LZ 6.5 
Titleist 915 3H // Diamana S+ 80X 
PING Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Phantom X STR (or) Byron Morgan DH89

Yeah well Scotty's are made in shop, in the USA. Bettinardi, TP mills, Byron, and C & L's are all made in China in these little sweat shops. I seen it first hand. Tragic.

You mean Bettinardi is lying when he says all his putters are made in Chicago?

That is a tough call out. I hope you have something to back that up, because people have been to Studi B and have seen the putters made there.

HAHAHA WOA WOA WOA. I was joking. I just thought that something that outrageous might lighten the mood. Or give me and some others a laugh!

I tend to agree, people really just need to lighten up a bit here. But, passion is just that...passion regardless of it's focus. Hell I'm not passionate about any putter but ping....but if I had the money to drop on a Newport 2(that and 1 Newport Detour are the ONLY models available at 1 little shop in the entire southern 1/4 of the state of Alabama...go figure. lol) I would in a heartbeat. I also think that 300 bucks is worth it to get a never used in the box Cameron putter. Wouldn't think twice about it, but I wouldn't care any less about Ping either.

Peace(I hope)

;)

i heard that ping putters are cast by satan himself...In sweat shops in China :diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

That is why I looked at the posters previous posts before I commented. I felt I should give the member the benefit of the doubt.

There were no hints of sarcasm (smileys or explanations) or saying that they were made by pixies with fairy dust in any posts. The issues he brought up, slave labor etc are serious issues. Maybe he should've said C&L putters are made by elves who sneak into Chip and Lees workshop at night while everyone is asleep.

I had to presume he was serious, lest he be offended that no one took him seriously if he was.